Does Anyone Have a Notion on What the Hell the PLAN is?

Warfish

I know we're all getting a bit worked up over two guys we ALL KNEW were going to likely (80%+) going to be gone this offseason. I think we're more pissed because of the waste of Lamont (who in many of our minds could be something special for us), and the oddity that Bradway couldn't close the deal for Furgy even with all the time he had. So now we have two NEW holes that must be filled.

And so far, Bradway either isn't interested, or has simply failed to interest, the list of A-list FA's many of think we required for a winning 2005.

So the question is this:

What the Hell is Bradway thinking? What is his plan. He HAS to have one you know. He may or may not be a good GM, but in his head, he HAS to have a plan, a gameplan, an idea of where he wants the Jets to go.

So what is it?? I admit it, I'm stumped right now, because after losing Furgy and Jordan, I assumed Bradway would have gotton us SOMEONE by this point, someone to fill one of our desperate need spots.

OT, DT, CB, Safety, TE, RB, WR can all now be considered, to some degree or another, as severe-level needs. So what hasn't Bradway, who HAS cap room, not filled at least ONE of these spots with an A-Grade guy?

Is it possible that Bradway was SO enthralled in the Moss for Coles trade, that he concentrated (and continues to concentrate) on THAT DEAL, to the detriment of other possibillities?? That is a TERRIFYING thought.

So what say yall?

Is it possible that Bradway was SO enthralled in the Moss for Coles trade, that he concentrated (and continues to concentrate) on THAT DEAL, to the detriment of other possibillities?? That is a TERRIFYING thought.

So what say yall?

Terrifying, but possible ... very possible

Just look at the chronology of events that explain losing Pat Williams to the Vikings at a reasonable price ... does it not sound like he was obsessing over beating Parcells to fergy, while allowing the far more realistic option {and cheaper, as it turns out} to slip out the backdoor to Minnesota?

And isn't that exactly the type of single-minded focus you're referring too here?

Jason Ferguson, 30, left for the Cowboys and Bill Parcells, his former coach with the Jets who made no secret of his coveting his former player.

Ferguson signed a five-year, $21.5 million contract that includes $9 million as a bonus.

The Jets put up a fight to keep Ferguson, and at one point, it appeared he might return to the Jets, but the Cowboys won out. The Jets are believed to have gone as high as a four-year, $16 million deal that included an $8 million signing bonus.

Ferguson, who anchored the Jets defensive line last season, rebuffed several attempts by the Jets to re-sign him before the start of free agency.

The Jets now have some work to do to fill the void left behind.

The Jets thought they had a fallback position with Pat Williams, a defensive tackle from the Bills who would slip nicely into the hole left by Ferguson's departure. After initial interest, though, the Jets got off the Williams trail and the Vikings scooped him up, reportedly for $13 million over three years, with a $6 million bonus.

Asked about the Jets' interest, Williams' agent, Angelo Wright, said, "They did [express some], but they've gone back and forth with Ferguson, they were trying to get a deal, now it looks like Dallas will get the deal. Pat's a better player. It's almost like the Jets were willing to pay Fergy because he was there, but elsewhere they're telling me your deal is a little better than what we were gonna give him so you better take it."

His plan is to not over react and to get good bang for his buck just like last year.

Which is a good principle, and Barton and Kendall were both good signs in that direction.

OTOH the Pennington extension (though it may yet prove worthwhile) and the Barrett contract were headscratchers.

I still say one of the big FA CBs (it may be down to Lucas and Smoot, there's some word Baxter's close to re-signing in Baltimore) and some mid and lower tier guys properly selected would be the best course fo you guys.

and there may be some worthwhile FAs after June 1st.

Which is a good principle, and Barton and Kendall were both good signs in that direction.

OTOH the Pennington extension (though it may yet prove worthwhile) and the Barrett contract were headscratchers.

I still say one of the big FA CBs (it may be down to Lucas and Smoot, there's some word Baxter's close to re-signing in Baltimore) and some mid and lower tier guys properly selected would be the best course fo you guys.

and there may be some worthwhile FAs after June 1st.

RS, what's your opinion on Andre Dyson or Ken Lucas? Neither have gotten much attention and may come at a reasonable rate.

His plan is to not over react and to get good bang for his buck just like last year.

No one wants him to over-react. We just want him to REACT.

Losing out on Pat Williams because he was focused on Fergy is ridiculous. We let a CHEAPER, BETTER player slip through the cracks while Bradway tried to hammer out a deal with Ferguson. There is no excuse for that. Bradway was asleep at the wheel and he needs to wake up SOON.

By the time I have the first beer in me tomorrow night, Fred Smoot or that fat bastard from Detroit had better be a Jet.

I agree with rsherryjr, we arent after the pre-season championship. You can get all the free agents you want and live dangerously in the cap zone but a good GM realizes where there is quality. Remember, Bradway is good at ABC...remember Kendall? We had about 7 other teams trying to sign him and we got him. I am sure that we have a plan to get good players in here. Ferg, mckenzie and lamont are not VITAL to the jets chances.

They can all be replaced. Its only day two of the FA season. A lot can happen (via trade, via draft...)

Just wait...be patient. Maybe we upgrade via the draft.

LL

No one wants him to over-react. We just want him to REACT.

Losing out on Pat Williams because he was focused on Fergy is ridiculous. We let a CHEAPER, BETTER player slip through the cracks while Bradway tried to hammer out a deal with Ferguson. There is no excuse for that. Bradway was asleep at the wheel and he needs to wake up SOON.

By the time I have the first beer in me tomorrow night, Fred Smoot or that fat bastard from Detroit had better be a Jet.

He definitly made a huge mistake on Pat Williams just like he did on A Winfield last year imo. But lets wait and see when the whole thing is complete before we kill him. Don't get me wrong though the Pat Williams thing was a disgrace.

I agree with rsherryjr, we arent after the pre-season championship. You can get all the free agents you want and live dangerously in the cap zone but a good GM realizes where there is quality. Remember, Bradway is good at ABC...remember Kendall? We had about 7 other teams trying to sign him and we got him. I am sure that we have a plan to get good players in here. Ferg, mckenzie and lamont are not VITAL to the jets chances.

They can all be replaced. Its only day two of the FA season. A lot can happen (via trade, via draft...)

Just wait...be patient. Maybe we upgrade via the draft.

LL

Hey, I'm as patient and optimistic any ANYONE here, but you're missing my point.

We have so many pressing needs TODAY, that the draft CANNOT fill them all. You only get one first rounder and only one second and third.

We have WAY MORE that the needs. Are YOU comfortable with a sixth rounder stating at CB? Safety? DT? OT? TE? Erik Coleman is the exception...not the rule.

If Bradway snags Smoot, then I'm happy, one less super-need handled and one more draft pick saved for other needs. But we both NEED, and have the Cap space, to aquire a top-level CB talent. Wanting someone like Dyson or Lucqas (second rater's at best) is silly. We already HAVW two second rate CB's in Barrett (the best of what we got) and Abraham.

It's too early to kill Bradway, but he definitely operates with a flimsy initial plan, and almost no back-up plan. He's one of those executives that needs everything to break right for him in order to succeed--if there are any roadblocks in his way, he clearly does not have the savvy to clear the hurdle.

otherwise what?

why does terry have to take ultimatums and threats from fans? i thought we all agreed that after last offseason he deserves respect...

that doesn't mean at the first sign of trouble it's time to freak the **** out -

JMO Fergeson at 8mil is overpaying so im glad he didn't go to 9 - If that fat **** doesn't want to give up 1 extra mil to stay with the JETS then he can go to Dallas and stay there...

as for WIlliams it would have been nice but MINNY overpaid -

Hey, I'm as patient and optimistic any ANYONE here, but you're missing my point.

We have so many pressing needs TODAY, that the draft CANNOT fill them all. You only get one first rounder and only one second and third.

We have WAY MORE that the needs. Are YOU comfortable with a sixth rounder stating at CB? Safety? DT? OT? TE? Erik Coleman is the exception...not the rule.

If Bradway snags Smoot, then I'm happy, one less super-need handled and one more draft pick saved for other needs. But we both NEED, and have the Cap space, to aquire a top-level CB talent. Wanting someone like Dyson or Lucqas (second rater's at best) is silly. We already HAVW two second rate CB's in Barrett (the best of what we got) and Abraham.

WF, ok the way I see it this is how this could all break.

1) We sign Smoot - This guy is a good-great CB. Release donnie abe or bump him to nickle back.

2) We complete Coles for moss deal.

3) We DRAFT best available RB at 2nd round spot.

4) We draft best available talent in our first round spot.

5) We look into the Safety from Denver, see what he wants. if its cheap we sign him and dump tongue.

Does that sound good?

LL

otherwise what?

why does terry have to take ultimatums and threats from fans? i thought we all agreed that after last offseason he deserves respect...

that doesn't mean at the first sign of trouble it's time to freak the F#ck out -

JMO Fergeson at 8mil is overpaying so im glad he didn't go to 9 - If that fat F#ck doesn't want to give up 1 extra mil to stay with the JETS then he can go to Dallas and stay there...

as for WIlliams it would have been nice but MINNY overpaid -

Bit, 3 years, 15 mil? Six mil signing bonus? For a guy that takes up two blockers every play? IMO, that's cheap, no?

Obsessing on fergy was STUPID .. JUST PLAIN STUPID!!

For one thing, the man was rebuffing our every attempt for months ... he was dying to hit the FA market ... maybe that was a F**KIN CLUE that he wanted to rejoin Parcells in Dallas, who everyone in is mother knew he was making a run at fergy?

For another thing, Pat Williams is a BETTER PLAYER ... and as it turns out, he was cheaper too

JUST A STUPID @$$ STRATEGY FROM IT'S INCEPTION!!

Bit, 3 years, 15 mil? Six mil signing bonus? For a guy that takes up two blockers every play? IMO, that's cheap, no?

JETS probably came close with bonus but 5 mil a year in salary is NOT cheap... there's no way to hide that either - it could play havok with the cap -

he got a significantly better deal from MIN - it sucks but at the same time that's the way it goes - they aren't going to overpay for anyone and that's what goes on in the first week of FA - everyone who gets signed in this time frame is getting as good a deal as they can...

Obsessing on fergy was STUPID .. JUST PLAIN STUPID!!

For one thing, the man was rebuffing our every attempt for months ... he was dying to hit the FA market ... maybe that was a F**KIN CLUE that he wanted to rejoin Parcells in Dallas, who everyone in is mother knew he was making a run at fergy?

For another thing, Pat Williams is a BETTER PLAYER ... and as it turns out, he was cheaper too

JUST A STUPID @$$ STRATEGY FROM IT'S INCEPTION!!

AGREED. I would have been PISSED if we gave Fergy big money, and I'm depressed that Pat WIlliams walked for FA pocket change!

JETS probably came close with bonus but 5 mil a year in salary is NOT cheap... there's no way to hide that either - it could play havok with the cap -

he got a significantly better deal from MIN - it sucks but at the same time that's the way it goes - they aren't going to overpay for anyone and that's what goes on in the first week of FA - everyone who gets signed in this time frame is getting as good a deal as they can...

Well, Bit is Fergy better than Pat Williams?

Because the Jets reportedly offered him a bigger contract than the one Williams signed for.

if Pat Williams was better than Fergie he would have gotten more money than Fergie - it's not like the JETS offers set the market on these players -

I personnally like Pat Williams more than Fergie but apparently the rest of the league feels differently

maybe its an age thing, maybe its a stats thing - but bottom line Fergie got a better deal than Williams - and their agents were both trying to get the best deal possible -

Bit, but we offered Mr. Contract Year an 8 Million dollar SB and 16 million for four years

How does that jibe? :-s

sounds to me like they were trying to close the deal but fell just a little bit short -

thats still less per year than what Williams got - the dude got a great deal from a team with 25 million dollars in cap space - it happens.

sounds to me like they were trying to close the deal but fell just a little bit short -

thats still less per year than what Williams got - the dude got a great deal from a team with 25 million dollars in cap space - it happens.

I don't know. I'm a cheap f*ck , and I would have paid him.

he's not a spring chicken - there will be 10,000 JETS fans bemoaning the fact they didn't sign him in March and then when he's on the IR in November with that chronicly undisclosed leg injury maybe about 5 fans total will notice.

maybe im a loser but i trust the front office to get this team into the best shape to win a Super Bowl. Far too often people forget ya can't win games in march...

PAT WILLIAMS

First off, His agent is an idiot or Williams is one. If Pat waits an extra day. He gets more money. He signed too quickly for The Jets or anyone else to even make a comparable offer.

"THE PLAN"

Part of this offseason was getting Pennington, Abraham and Ellis back on the team. Those were the big three that had to be brought back.Mission accomplished.

The Jets just lost a backup RB, their 4th best defensive lineman and soon their young stud RT.

Just because a guy is a free agent doesn't mean that you should just sign him for the hell of it. You gotta make smart decisions for the short and long term.

I don't want to sign guys just for the hell of it or get into bidding wars for mediocre players.

Desperate people do desperate things.

Casey Rabach is not a star center. Jonas Jennings is barely a good offensive tackle but because they have the word free agent attached to them. All of a sudden, They are hot prospects.

I'll reserve any major criticism towards Bradway and this staff until later. I want to see how this all plays out.

PAT WILLIAMS

First off, His agent is an idiot or Williams is one. If Pat waits an extra day. He gets more money. He signed too quickly for The Jets or anyone else to even make a comparable offer.

"THE PLAN"

Part of this offseason was getting Pennington, Abraham and Ellis back on the team. Those were the big three that had to be brought back.Mission accomplished.

The Jets just lost a backup RB, their 4th best defensive lineman and soon their young stud RT.

Just because a guy is a free agent doesn't mean that you should just sign him for the hell of it. You gotta make smart decisions for the short and long term.

I don't want to sign guys just for the hell of it or get into bidding wars for mediocre players.

Desperate people do desperate things.

Casey Rabach is not a star center. Jonas Jennings is barely a good offensive tackle but because they have the word free agent attached to them. All of a sudden, They are hot prospects.

I'll reserve any major criticism towards Bradway and this staff until later. I want to see how this all plays out.

The only comment I will take issue here is the reference of McKenzie as a stud tackle YJF. His play was down this year from what I saw of him and I personally do not want to give him a big contract that his agents will ask for unless they have more reasonable demands.

The only comment I will take issue here is the reference of McKenzie as a stud tackle YJF. His play was down this year from what I saw of him and I personally do not want to give him a big contract that his agents will ask for unless they have more reasonable demands.

What can I state? I see Kareem differently than anybody else does. He's the best offensive lineman on the market in my opinion.Maybe that says something about the market more than it says for Kareem's ability. If I were forced to list the top 10 RT's in football. He would be on that list. He's smart, He's young, He's tough and durable. I love the player.

I can understand not resigning him though. You can't break the bank for a RT. It's not wise to do so. The Jets o-Line is really good. I don't see why Jets fans have problems with it.

I'd rather keep McKenzie. Not sold on Adrian Jones and the guys on the market are a downgrade from McKenzie.

if Pat Williams was better than Fergie he would have gotten more money than Fergie - it's not like the JETS offers set the market on these players -

I personnally like Pat Williams more than Fergie but apparently the rest of the league feels differently

maybe its an age thing, maybe its a stats thing - but bottom line Fergie got a better deal than Williams - and their agents were both trying to get the best deal possible -

Good point with the Age thing Bit! Williams is

7 months older than Martin!! :lol:

4 years from now when Curtis breaks the all-time rushing record Savage isn't allowed to celebrate 8)

Hey Bit I'm willing to Bet!! Money talks and

BS walks!!Oh yeah were going places with a aging

32 year old who can't run against tough teams! :roll:

Archived