This just in: Thomas Jones doesn't block or call the plays

Through the first two games of the year Thomas Jones stats (including the three carries for zero yards on the Goal Line stand by New England on Sunday) read:

39 attempts

171 yards

4.4 ypc

1 TD

I know a lot of people want to bitch and moan (because thats what most here do best) about how Jones isn't a Goal Line back. Blah, blah, blah. How about the fact that the line couldn't block anybody, including Richard Seymour on the 3rd down try, and just couldn't form a hole anywhere? How about the fact that running it three straight times is just flat out stupid? How about the FO / Coaching Staff should've went out after a Goal Line back this offseason? Some would like to believe that will be Jesse Chatman come Week 6 and beyond, but we don't know that for sure yet.

What would we like Thomas Jones to do? Seriously, I'd like to know. Put on a Superman cape and fly over the New England front seven or eight that kept getting into the backfield against him on the Goal Line stand?

****. Some of you people can never have enough to complain about but Thomas Jones' peformance after the first two games of the season is nothing to complain about.

Instead lets complain about the Play Calling and Special Teams. You know, the actual things that lost us the game yesterday. I know some of you hate Jones because he couldn't run for 260000000 yards behind Adrien Clarke, I know, he the All-Pro that Clarke is, but get over yourselves and your hatred of the man who since 2005 is 5th in the NFL in rushing.

i dont dislike thomas, but I only see him as a serviceable player for a position in transition.

He has no breakaway speed, he doesnt break a lot of tackles. He longest run was for 61 yards, and that was when he was still with the Bucs. Hes also never rushed for double digit TD's in a single season. I think hes getting a little too much love but I still think he serviceable but would wish someone more electrifying would take his role. Im hoping its Washington, but im not sure.

thomas jones is what he is - a change of pace back in a power back's body. He won't get tough goal line yards, never have never will. Why the Jets continue to use him in this fashion is baffling. The team hasn't had a true short yardage option since Cedric Houston. Chatman would be better on the goal line, hopefully he gets that job in 2 weeeks after his steroids vacation is over.

oh and blaming the line for not blocking seymour is ridiculous. he's their best defensive player. the coaches should be running away from him not toward him.

i think jones has played great so far this season. much better than i thought he would play. he should have actually gotten the ball a few more times in the new england game.

but.

he is not a goal line back. he won't push a pile, that is not how he is built. he doesn't have monster legs and doesn't bowl people over. people think he is a built like a power back, he isn't. he has big arms to knock people over or hold them off but he isn't going to run right over them.

regardless.

the play calling was horrible. how could that be interpreted as anything other than horrible. it was bad. new england knew it was coming, why not try to outsmart them for a change. run a bootleg run/pass option or something. nothing.

thomas jones is what he is - a change of pace back in a power back's body. He won't get tough goal line yards, never have never will. Why the Jets continue to use him in this fashion is baffling.

Baffling is one word. There are others that might better define it.

I'm still looking for the video where Thomas Jones crashes the line and gains any yardage. Or when he muscles in between a couple of O lineman for a first - or 6.

The footage must exist because there's at least one knucklehead on our CS that thinks this is routine work for Jones. It ain't. Not with the Bears or us. He runs lanes. And he ain't fast. He's ok and can do well in his wheelhouse. He's not Jerome Bettis.

As mad and frustrated as we all were because TJ didnt get a 1 yard TD , its really not TJ's fault on those 3 carries. THE blame should fall on the Oline. Mangold is not looking no where near what he did his rookie year. That left side of the OLINE is suppose to be our strength on the line and it got pushed back. They need to hit the weight room and work together on there own time if they want to improve.

As mad and frustrated as we all were because TJ didnt get a 1 yard TD , its really not TJ's fault on those 3 carries. THE blame should fall on the Oline. Mangold is not looking no where near what he did his rookie year. That left side of the OLINE is suppose to be our strength on the line and it got pushed back. They need to hit the weight room and work together on there own time if they want to improve.

Not many teams run on the Pats, especially right up the middle. If this was a healthy LT, he'd have run off tackle for sure.

The bottom line is we have a HOF QB and we ran it 3 straight times from the 3 yard line.

Unreal.

With three quality TEs to boot. Not to mention go go gadget smith and end around stuckey. Richardson anyone? Someone mentioned Westbrook diving over the pile, but a Maron Barber type driving his legs to pay-dirt would suite me just fine. Chatman better be doing squats right now, or else it will be a waste of roids! :mad:

that's exactly why i think mangini was trying to make a statement on that possesion. That we can beat the pats physically. it ended up back fireing, but if ,I know its a big IF but IF the jets would of punched it in the place would of erupted and we would switch the momentum. The Oline blew its chance to establish themselves. they will have other chances to redeam themselves and im sure they will and thats not the green blood talking. LETS GO JETS

Archived