Ben Graham Might Get Cut?

Ghost

These cannot be very restful nights of sleep for Jets punter Ben Graham. Graham, who had only a mediocre 2007 season but retained his job, has had an uneven start to 2008, low-lighted by his poor performance Sunday against the Patriots in a game where the outcome was determined by field position. Graham is ranked 23rd in the NFL in net average and 19th in gross. One of his short, line-drive punts was returned 24 yards by Kevin Faulk Sunday. Eric Mangini yesterday sounded like a coach actively searching for a better solution, saying, "It's a situation we'll look at. We'll look at it very closely, then we'll move forward here, see where the different opportunities are and evaluate them." It would hardly be a shock to see a punter or two being given a workout by the Jets today.

New York Post

I hope we do.

I loved the guy his first year, but since then he has been awful in clutch situations. I don't want to blame any one person, coach or player for Sundays loss, but Graham is the leading candidate.

In a game like this a 27 yard net just doesn't get it. The few times he did hit a long one, they were low line drives that were returned for big yardage.

The Pats started around midfield all day the Jets started at their 20. It's a credit to the defense that only 19 points were scored by the Pats.

Graham was an interesting experiment. It's time to end it. I hope this week

Screw it, bring back Kapinos. According to the beat writers during the offseason he was outperforming Graham. Anything is better at this point. Was anyone else disgusted watching the Pats punter hit a booming kick that Leon caught right at the sideline for no return, only to see Graham shank a 29 yarder? Our special teams really sucked that game.

As good a story as Graham was in his first year, he has regressed over the last 2 years.

You are absolutely right, but how in the heck does a punter "regress"? Either you can punt the stupid ball or you can't. That's like a great pool player who suddenly can't make a shot. It has to be all in the head. GOD I hate kickers.

Mangini--who likes to be known as "Mr. Details"--is starting to bug me. First, there is no contingency for our kicker getting hurt in a game. Now, we realize that he went into this season with a punter that was average at best last year. As far as I know, there was no competition for Graham's job in camp this year.

One other thing...what happened to all of these crazy kicks that "no one can catch" that Graham can supposedly boot? His first year they made it seem like no one was going to be able to catch them but I honestly haven't seen too much of this.

One other thing...what happened to all of these crazy kicks that "no one can catch" that Graham can supposedly boot? His first year they made it seem like no one was going to be able to catch them but I honestly haven't seen too much of this.

I remember that as well, I'm sure they tried to coach it out of him and had it backfire.

Or maybe the only ones who can't catch them are the Jets Punt returners :confused:

whatever dude, he can kick AND punt. That buys us back a roster spot -- Jetsrule180 will be psyched, they might even pick up an Arena Football player!

Actually, it would be a terrible idea. Atlanta tried this a couple years ago with their current punter, who had a killer leg. He couldn't handle the load of kickoffs, punts and FGs. They brought in a kicker. I'm not sure if he still kicks off or not.

Ito, also, was not very accurate in college.... At least my impression of him when he came on to kick was he could miss at any time..

Thanks for the info. Was Smith a total disaster, or did he not get enough time to compete with Graham?

Found this

Bob Mantz reports that The New York Jets have released back-up punter Joe Smith.

July 29, 2008

The New York Jets have released back-up punter Joe Smith,who wears jersey No. 4. Smith was promptly signed by the Green Bay Packers, effectively ending the possibility of a Brett Favre return to Wisconsin.

Struggling Jet quarterback Kellen Clemens quickly asked both head coach Eric Mangini and then GM Mike Tannenbaum about a switch from No. 11 to his 'lucky number,' No. 4, but was denied the switch. Clemens was, however, issued a new baseball cap by QB Coach Brian Daboll. :rl:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/42111-new-york-jets-release-punter-joe-smith-who-is-quickly-snatched-up-by-packers

Found this

Bob Mantz reports that The New York Jets have released back-up punter Joe Smith.

July 29, 2008

The New York Jets have released back-up punter Joe Smith,who wears jersey No. 4. Smith was promptly signed by the Green Bay Packers, effectively ending the possibility of a Brett Favre return to Wisconsin.

Struggling Jet quarterback Kellen Clemens quickly asked both head coach Eric Mangini and then GM Mike Tannenbaum about a switch from No. 11 to his 'lucky number,' No. 4, but was denied the switch. Clemens was, however, issued a new baseball cap by QB Coach Brian Daboll. :rl:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/42111-new-york-jets-release-punter-joe-smith-who-is-quickly-snatched-up-by-packers

That is hilarious. The Green Bay roster lists Derrick Frost as the punter, so Smith must have been cut. Back home to Yakima, I guess.

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/6389

Archived