Is Chad Pennington Worth $64 Mil?

Smizzy

PFSIKH, you know I like you and respect you; we go all the way back to Jets Haters in '97, but-

The wave has crested for the Patriots. I'm not saying it's the Jets year (yet), but the sun is going down on the Pat's, baby.

Deal with it.

JM - The Patriots day could be over. No sane person can argue that. Given the coaching and personnel (only Johnson and Bruschi) losses, it is not unreasonable of the Jets' fans predictions of the Patriots' demise.

The main difference in our opinions is the degree of the demise. The Patriots are too talented to just fall off the face of the Earth and back to their pre-1994 days.

On offense, Dillon is the only player over 30. From Brady to the receivers and through the last man on the OL, the starters are all under 28. That is the main reason for my optimism. Brady and the offense can carry this team while the D transitions. IMHO, I liken this to the 49ers of the 80s. After beating the Phins in 1984, they did not win another title for 5 years, but they were always winning 10+ game sand in the playoffs. With the Patriots' youth on offense, plus the youth of their DL and secondary, this team will still be very good.

They might not win it this year. My gut says they do, but that is a matter for another day. I realize the Colts and Peyton might eventually be able to beat the Patriots. Big Ben and the Steelers will also be a threat. Even the Jets, although to a lesser degree, will challenge for the division and ultimately the AFC title. My only point is, until Brady and/or Belichick hangs them up, the Patriots are built to be ther and will go on a run similar to the 49ers run from 1981 to the late 90s. They might not win it every year, but they will contend.

Gimmie - As Jet Moses attested to, I and quite a few others, have been on this forum or a kissing cousin of it since 1997. So long after the Patriots' demise from their current run I will be here. It is not like I am going to suddenly mature over night and start working at work. :wink:

I realize the sun is setting on the Patriots' dynasty. As I said above, it is just a matter of how long it is until the lights go out. IMHO that is still quite a few years away.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JM - The Patriots day could be over. No sane person can argue that. Given the coaching and personnel (only Johnson and Bruschi) losses, it is not unreasonable of the Jets' fans predictions of the Patriots' demise.

The main difference in our opinions is the degree of the demise. The Patriots are too talented to just fall off the face of the Earth and back to their pre-1994 days.

On offense, Dillon is the only player over 30. From Brady to the receivers and through the last man on the OL, the starters are all under 28. That is the main reason for my optimism. Brady and the offense can carry this team while the D transitions. IMHO, I liken this to the 49ers of the 80s. After beating the Phins in 1984, they did not win another title for 5 years, but they were always winning 10+ game sand in the playoffs. With the Patriots' youth on offense, plus the youth of their DL and secondary, this team will still be very good.

They might not win it this year. My gut says they do, but that is a matter for another day. I realize the Colts and Peyton might eventually be able to beat the Patriots. Big Ben and the Steelers will also be a threat. Even the Jets, although to a lesser degree, will challenge for the division and ultimately the AFC title. My only point is, until Brady and/or Belichick hangs them up, the Patriots are built to be ther and will go on a run similar to the 49ers run from 1981 to the late 90s. They might not win it every year, but they will contend.

Gimmie - As Jet Moses attested to, I and quite a few others, have been on this forum or a kissing cousin of it since 1997. So long after the Patriots' demise from their current run I will be here. It is not like I am going to suddenly mature over night and start working at work. :wink:

I realize the sun is setting on the Patriots' dynasty. As I said above, it is just a matter of how long it is until the lights go out. IMHO that is still quite a few years away.

As long as Belly is running that show, they will always be able to re-invent themselves.

It's not like the Pat talent level was ever that strong. They've consistenty played above their collective level of talent. That's not a diss. That type of team synergy is something special. The team building they have done is impressive and the waves of depth are what got them through last year.

The Patriot coaching staff showed the ability to take blocks of clay and over time, mold them into what they envision. They find the good football player inside and they do it fairly consistently. For every Brandon Moore, they have a Klecko and a Bruschi. They get credit for that.

Brady is a fine QB. No doubt. Does he make it with an average organization? Maybe not. The Pats built him up physically and coached the dickens out him. Brady gets all the credit in the world too. He lifted the weights and soaked up the great coaching. Still, you enter a different off-season program and learn from lesser coaches and you get a different yield.

I have hopes for a down year due to all the losses like Bruschi, Law and both coordinators. Even guys like Patten and Johnson will be felt at points.

This does not mean that the Pats won't repeat, only that there exists some scenarios that offer hope to everyone else.

In the long term, it

Brady is a fine QB. No doubt. Does he make it with an average organization? Maybe not. The Pats built him up physically and coached the dickens out him. Brady gets all the credit in the world too. He lifted the weights and soaked up the great coaching. Still, you enter a different off-season program and learn from lesser coaches and you get a different yield.

You make a great point here.

Brady never would have been able to last in the NFL if he looked like he did his rookie season. He was a skinny little runt who would have taken a severe beating.

I feel there are two reasons why Brady is at the level he is now.

One, he moves in the pocket better than any other QB in the NFL.

Two, his decision making skills are superb. That can be attributed to good solid coaching.

You make a great point here.

Brady never would have been able to last in the NFL if he looked like he did his rookie season. He was a skinny little runt who would have taken a severe beating.

I feel there are two reasons why Brady is at the level he is now.

One, he moves in the pocket better than any other QB in the NFL.

Two, his decision making skills are superb. That can be attributed to good solid coaching.

Brady has the pocket presence you want. No argument. Good feet and well coached.

Miami, nice taking my words out of context. #-o

Just to refresh your memory, my comment was made that 32 backup QB's are better than PennyBoy AT 75% (or some percentage).

What context? First of all, you said that you could name 32 backup qb that were better than an 85%, not 75% healthy Chad.

I rattled off 20 and left it up to you to name the other 12, which to this day, you haven't.

Most of the qbs I named sucked, and I seriosuly doubt that you can name me 12 others than are better than him. So no, you've never come out and said he sucks, yet you'd have us believe that guys like Mark Brunell are better.

Carry on.

• 2 years later...
I don't think he is.

Do you?

NO a thousand times NO! He has not become the QB many of us thpought he was in 2002 pre- OAKLAND playoff game. They wrote the blueprints for beating CHADWICK and all good teams can carry it out! Bad to fair teams struggle to use the blueprint so CHAD's fans get excited. Beating weak teams does not make CHAD a QB worth 64 mil! A winner wins championships! With physical limitations and cold, winter weather and outside stadiums, can an yone see CHAD beating NE in a playoff setting?

RIGHT NOW?

No he is not worth 64 million

Look how much alex smith got? Was he worth that much? I dont think so either

Bottom Line: The Jets couldnt let Pennington walk. We had to get him signed, and we did. And I'm happy about that.

I think by the time his contract expires we will all think he was worth the 64 million dollar contract.

:character42::character42::character42:

I knew you'd weigh in on this one IJ - you might want to consider going on the wagon for awhile - your perception is getting cloudy:p

Just so you know, although Im still a Chad fan, I do actually want to see Clemens given his shot. It's time to give the kid his chance in this league!!!!!!

Archived