**** Official Hockey East 2008-09 Season Thread ****

Lil Bit Special

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Huskies lose in typical Huskie fashion. first qtr dominant. Second qtr holding strong. Third qtr they choke. Cornell wins coming back from a 2-0 deficit. NU couldn't score on a powerplay (six of em today) if their life depended on it.

BU on right now. Ohio State looks like a pee-wee team next to BU. Hey, Kansas, I'm on the UNH bandwagon for the remainder of the tourney ;)

Great. ;)

\

There have been lots of upsets this year. Just be happy you didnt lose to Bemidji State.

Notre Dame laid a big egg yesterday didn't they? This is BU's tourney to lose. They couldn't have asked for a better run to the title.

With all the correct instant replay calls over the last few days it makes the Hockey East Final loss sting a little more.

We should have beaten Cornel....we just didn't have the killer instinct

How similar was this loss compared to Lowell

Sh1tty way to end a nice season

It was very similar to the Lowell loss. You guys had 2-0 leads in the 2nd period of both games. You can't blame Theissen. He faced 41 shots against Lowell and 29 against Cornell.

On the flip side Northeastern only managed 24 shots on goal against Lowell and 19 against Cornell.

Tough way to end the season. Should be fun next season as you guys are only losing a handful of guys to graduation while Lowell is only losing 3.

Notre Dame laid a big egg yesterday didn't they? This is BU's tourney to lose. They couldn't have asked for a better run to the title.

With all the correct instant replay calls over the last few days it makes the Hockey East Final loss sting a little more.

Of course UNH will upset them today...:D

Yet another game this weekend that was decided with less than a minute to go. BU scores with 14.8 seconds left to beat UNH 2-1.

I hope Vermont kicks the crap out of them in the Frozen Four but I doubt that will happen.

Its amazing they have made it to the Frozen Four... guess those sh!tty conferences arent so sh!tty afterall....

No. Wait. yes they are. Bemidji is just lucky. Sure they beat UMass this year, but UMass sucks.

I am guessing they are Team USA in 80.

Riding a hot goalie, in a non-homo way, as far as they can.

the second pick of the 2007 Entry Draft, felt the time was right to make the jump to the professional ranks.

Tuesday, van Riemsdyk, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound left wing, signed a multi-year, entry-level contract that starts next season. He also signed an amateur tryout contract that allows him to play immediately for the Flyers' American Hockey League affiliate, the Philadelphia Phantoms.

Van Riemsdyk, who recently completed his sophomore season at the University of New Hampshire with a team-leading 40 points in 36 games, left campus Monday night and arrived in New Jersey at 2 a.m. Tuesday. He'll be in the lineup for the Phantoms for their game Tuesday against the Albany River Rats.

"I'm here so I'll get thrown right into it and I wouldn't have it any other way," van Riemsdyk told NHL.com. "I know it's a huge challenge and jump from college hockey to the AHL, but I'm excited. This is a day I have been dreaming about ever since I got drafted by the Flyers. It was tough to leave UNH, but I felt this would be the best for me as a hockey player, because at the end of the day, my goal is to play in the NHL and I'm now moving one step closer to achieving that goal."

Flyers General Manager Paul Holmgren is excited to finally have van Riemsdyk officially on board.

"We are pleased to have James in the fold and look forward to monitoring his development more closely," said Holmgren. "It was a difficult decision for James to leave school, but we both believed that it was in his best interest to do so. We would like to take this opportunity to thank the University of New Hampshire, and in particular coach Dick Umile and his staff for not only their understanding but their dedicated work with James over the last two seasons."

Van Riemsdyk finished eighth in Hockey East in scoring with 40 points. He was tied for seventh in goals, with 17,, and finished first with 4 shorthanded goals. He was named to the All-Hockey East Second Team at the end of the regular season.

The 19-year-old native of Middletown, N.J., is now gearing up for the next stage of his hockey career.

"Obviously, this is a thrill of a lifetime," van Riemsdyk said. "After giving it another go-round in the World Juniors and then after the season I had at UNH, I just thought it was time to challenge myself a little bit more and beginning my professional career against grown men at this stage can only benefit me. I know I am going to have to work hard and basically that is what I am expecting. I am going to work hard and learn a lot from this experience."

While there's no denying his skills with the puck, there are those who claim van Riemsdyk has yet to exhibit a physical side to his game. He feels that will come with time, which is another reason he's making the jump at this point.

"Everyone has their little niche that they do and that comes with being comfortable with your role and I'm a bigger guy and still growing and am just looking to become more comfortable with that side of my game," van Riemsdyk said. "As far as going in there and crashing and banging and doing that stuff, I can obviously do a little bit of work with that, but there's a lot of different roles in hockey and it's just a matter of picking the right role as a player."

Van Riemsdyk played in his third World Junior Championship this year in Ottawa, where he recorded 4 goals and 10 points as the U.S. finished fifth. At the '08 WJC in the Czech Republic, van Riemsdyk led all players with 11 points, but the United State lost to Russia in the bronze-medal game. He had 1 goal in seven games at the '07 WJC in Sweden as the U.S. finished third.

He admitted participating in the Flyers' rookie camp in August also was beneficial.

"That was another huge step forward," he said. "Just having the change to condition with the guys and skating with them was great experience. I'm looking forward to getting back into it next summer and learning even more."

As a freshman at UNH, van Riemsdyk recorded 11 goals and 34 points in 31 games, finishing third on the team in scoring and tied for 13th in Hockey East. He was named to the Hockey East All-Rookie Team and was fourth in the nation in scoring by a rookie.

Prior to joining the University of New Hampshire, van Riemsdyk played for the United States National Team Development Program in 2006-07, where he recorded team-highs of 33 goals, 63 points, 81 penalty minutes, 11 power-play goals and 6 game-winning goals for the under-18 squad.

"I called my mom and dad and they're extremely excited, as am I," van Riemsdyk said. "My dad will be in attendance for the Phantoms game tonight. It's going to be memorable."

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/033109aab.html

Martin Nolet and James Marcou named assistant captains.

March 31, 2009

AMHERST, Mass. - UMass Head Hockey Coach Don "Toot" Cahoon announced his captains for the 2009-10 season on Tuesday. Rising senior Brett Watson was named captain for the second straight season, while classmate Justin Braun will also wear the "C" for the Minutemen next year. Additionally, rising senior Martin Nolet and rising junior James Marcou were each named assistant captains. The Mass Attack will hold its annual Reverse Raffle on Friday and the Team Banquet on Saturday.

"We are delighted with our captains for the upcoming season," said Cahoon. "The leadership of our team has never been stronger and we can't wait to get started."

Watson, the team's co-captain this past season, finished the year with five assists in 36 games. Watson was also one of the team's best penalty killers on a UMass squad that killed off nearly 84% of its penalties in 2008-09. Along with his work on the ice, Watson is also heavily involved in the Amherst Big Brothers Program and is a member of the Commonwealth College Honors Program at UMass.

Watson will share the leadership duties with Braun, who was named an assistant captain during the second half of the 2008-09 season. A Second-Team Hockey East All-Star pick, Braun led UMass defensemen in scoring with seven goals and 16 assists, good for seventh overall among Hockey East blueliners. Braun, a two-time Hobey Baker nominee, averaged nearly 30 minutes of ice time seeing time on the power play and penalty kill units where he added two power play and two shorthanded goals.

Nolet was one of UMass' top defensive players last season, finishing with two goals and seven assists in 38 games. His seven assists were a career high for a season. Nolet was part of both the power play and penalty killing units for the Minutemen. He had one multi-point game this season with one goal and an assist in UMass' 4-3 overtime victory over Boston College on November 22.

Marcou will enter the 2009-10 season needing just 21 points to become the ninth player in UMass Hockey history to reach the 100 point plateau. He finished last season leading the team in scoring with 15 goals and 32 assists for 47 points, and was tied for first in Hockey East scoring with Boston University's Colin Wilson - the first time a UMass skater finished as the league scoring leader. Marcou was tied for the team-lead in power play goals with six, and shattered the UMass sophomore assist record previously held by Greg Mauldin (20 assists in 2002-03). In just two seasons with the Minutemen, Marcou is already 22nd all-time in scoring (79 points) and tied for 12th in assists (56). He was a Hobey Baker nominee and a semifinalist for the Walter Brown Award.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="

"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

:character41:

we'll start a new one next year...

and only talk Hockey East and delete all the non-hockey east talk.

The CHA can have their own thread.

:D

The CHA is going goodbye next season if I'm not mistaken.

We came so close to hitting 1,000 posts in this thread.

The CHA is going goodbye next season if I'm not mistaken.

We came so close to hitting 1,000 posts in this thread.

That will go down.

Northeastern will become Northeastern again and Garb and JonE will disappear.

Plus with CHA's end, Assmop will go away as well.

http://umassathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/040309aaa.html

Marcou first UMass sophomore since Jon Quick named to New England All-Star Team.

AMHERST, Mass. - UMass sophomore winger James Marcou has been named to the New England Hockey Writers All-Star Team becoming the first Minuteman sophomore since Jon Quick to earn the honor. Marcou, a Hockey East First-Team All-Star selection, led UMass in scoring for the second consecutive year with 15 goals and 32 assists. The Hobey Baker nominee and Walter Brown Semifinalist also shared the Hockey East scoring title with Boston University's Colin Wilson.

The native of Kings Park, N.Y. will enter the 2009-10 season needing just 21 points to become the ninth player in UMass Hockey history to reach the 100 point plateau. His sophomore season was one for the record books as he became the first UMass skater to lead Hockey East in scoring. Marcou shattered the UMass sophomore assist record previously held by Greg Mauldin (20 assists in 2002-03).

In just two seasons with the Minutemen, Marcou is already 22nd all-time in scoring (79 points) and tied for 15th in assists (56). As one of the top scoring threats in the country, Marcou was also honored for his work in just two seasons by the UMass fans this year as they voted him to the UMass Hockey East 25th Anniversary Team which recognized the top UMass players in the program's history with the Hockey East Association.

The rising junior was recently named as an Assistant Captain for next season.

This is the third consecutive year UMass has been represented on the New England Hockey Writers All-Star Team. In 2007-08, captain Mike Kostka earned a spot on the squad, while Quick was honored in 2006-07.

The annual awards banquet will be held on Monday, April 13 at the Prince Restaurant in Saugus, Mass. The All-Star teams and special award winners will be presented. Coaches, student-athletes, family members and friends should plan on attending this function. Contact John Gruppo at (617) 373-7409 for information on attending this event. Cost is $30 per person.

Northeastern University goaltender Brad Thiessen was named New England MVP and NU coach Greg Cronin was named Coach of the Year. Thiessen was in goal for every minute as Northeastern went 25-12-4, finished second in the Hockey East regular season and advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1994. NU's Joe Vitale was named Best Defensive Forward.

Boston University took home three awards - goaltender Kieran Millan was named Rookie of the Year, Colin Wilson was named Best Forward and Matt Gilroy was named Best Defenseman. The Terriers won Hockey East and will play in the NCAA Frozen Four starting April 9.

New England's other Frozen Four participant - Vermont - was represented by Viktor St

http://www.masslive.com/tomshea/index.ssf/2009/04/hockey_guy_takes_sport_to_city.html

There was this moment: Before the 23 students from the Sabis International Charter School actually took to the ice at the MassMutual Center, they gathered at the bench, the expanse of the rink in front of them.

One child asked, "Can I touch the ice?"

When he did, he was followed by 22 more, all bending down to come in contact with the frozen surface.

"It reminded me," Donnie Moorhouse said, "of going into a Catholic church and dipping your fingers into the holy water."

To Donnie, a hockey rink is frozen holy water.

He's a music columnist for The Republican. He's a voice on the radio. He's even written and produced his own motion picture, and is working on the screenplay for a second.

But when Donnie is asked to describe himself, he uses two words:

"Hockey guy."

He was born into a hockey family. His late father was an usher at Springfield Indians games, back in the Eastern States Coliseum days.

Donnie started playing hockey when he was 8. He became a goaltender within weeks. He was a good enough net minder to help Springfield's Cathedral High School win back-to-back Western Massachusetts championships in 1982 and 1983 and earn a hockey scholarship to American International College.

For the past seven years, Donnie has been the play-by-play voice of the University of Massachusetts hockey team.

The 43-year-old father of four and Westfield resident has been coaching the sport for much of his adult life.

"And every year," he said, "I realize I love the game more than I ever have." Two years ago, Donnie came up with the idea of introducing the sport to urban, at-risk children, or those who just can't afford the equipment.

"I believe hockey players are a different breed," he says. "There is something about it that really helps form people. I think because of the demands of the sport - I know how hard it is to hit a baseball, or shoot a basket with a hand in your face - but imagine doing the equivalent wearing a face mask, carrying a stick and wearing steel blades on your feet. I'm not alone when I say that learning, playing hockey makes you a better student and citizen. The game is all about overcoming adversity."

In December, Donnie's effort, the Hockey Project - www.thehockeyproject.org - was incorporated and received its nonprofit status and financial support through the Boston Bruins Foundation and the Mike Cheever Grant to help the growth of hockey.

The grant money provided funds to buy equipment, skates, helmets, and sticks. MassMutual Center donated ice time for Monday evenings through the end of April. Tom Campana, athletic director at Sabis, said this is just a terrific opportunity for students at the school, especially those between the ages of 10 and 12.

"We have three administrators, Bill Foley, Jeff Londraville and Chris Shanahan, who were very good hockey players in their day," Tom said. "They embraced the discipline and structure of the game and believe in life lessons that could be extended."

Donnie calls the Monday sessions "hockey immersions."

"We don't do drills; we play hockey," he says. "Three-on-three games. One challenge we do have is each player has to get from one end of the rink to the other with the puck still on their stick. If you don't think that's a challenge, try it. We talk about self-esteem, teamwork. We have them get into their hockey stance, get their balance, their feet underneath them. That's what hockey players do. Part of our practice is having the kids celebrate scoring a goal. Lifting their sticks, throwing back their shoulders, celebrating. We want them to get used to that feeling. Setting and scoring goals."

http://www.gonu.com/mhockey/2009/vitale040209.htm

Northeastern University senior Joe Vitale signed with the Wilkes-Barre Scranton Penguins of the American Hockey League on Thursday, the same day he was named New England's Best Defensive Forward. Vitale, a seventh-round draftee of the Penguins in 2005, finished his four years on Huntington Avenue with 34 goals and 60 assists for 94 points, which ranks 48th in Huskies history.

In addition to his New England Best Defensive Forward honor, he was named Hockey East's Best Defensive Forward. Last year, he was named New England's Most Improved Player, a New England All-Star, second-team Hockey East All-Star and Northeastern team MVP. Vitale also joined a select group as a two-time Northeastern captain, becoming only the eighth Husky to don the 'C' twice.

Vitale is a natural center: his play-making ability, speed and understanding of the game make him an invaluable member of any hockey team. Vitale is also dominant in the faceoff circle, finishing the year with over 57 percent of face-offs won. Vitale was an integral member of the Huskies, as he was used in every situation from the drop of the puck to the final horn.

This season, Vitale compiled seven goals and 20 assists for 27 points. Vitale scored the game-winning goal in one of the Huskies biggest wins of the season, a 2-1 victory against then-No. 1 Boston College in front of a sold out Matthews Arena on Oct. 18. Vitale finished the season with a plus-seven rating.

During his time at Northeastern Vitale, who was one of head coach Greg Cronin's first NU recruits, helped to return the Huskies' program to national prominence. Vitale's freshman year, Northeastern went 3-24-7. The team improved 10 wins to 13-18-5 his sophomore year before going 16-18-3 last season. This year, Northeastern went 25-12-4 and advanced to the NCAA Tourament for the first time since 1994. Vitale also helped bring Northeastern home ice during the Hockey East playoffs for the first time since the 1997-98 season.

Before coming to Northeastern Vitale was selected 195th overall by the Pittsburgh Penguins in the seventh-round of the 2005 NHL Draft. Vitale played one season in the U.S. Hockey League with the Sioux Falls Stampede after with two years with the St. Louis Junior Blues of the Central States Hockey League.

When does Thiessen go pro? If he does Northeastern goes back to being a bottom feeder with Merrimack.

I doubt this year. He'll have to spend a couple of years in the AHL, so why not stay in college another year and become an even bigger star...

Although he could take the Jon Quick (UMass) route and get lucky.

I doubt this year. He'll have to spend a couple of years in the AHL, so why not stay in college another year and become an even bigger star...

Although he could take the Jon Quick (UMass) route and get lucky.

I hope he goes before next season. He was the only reason Northeastern was good this year. Without him they would have sucked pretty bad.

I remember back in the day, 80s, they would go straight to the NHL. I know the Bruins benefited from this a couple of times as they received a boost late in the season.

Brian Smolinski and Brad Janney come to mind. Nowadays the NHL treats college hockey players as minor league talent. I don't get it.

Brian Smolinski and Brad Janney come to mind. Nowadays the NHL treats college hockey players as minor league talent. I don't get it.

No, it was before then. :confused:

Craig Janney and Bob Joyce.

Archived