**** Official Hockey East 2008-09 Season Thread ****

Lil Bit Special

No. 4 Vermont hosts No. 5 Massachusetts-Lowell

The Catamounts earned home ice this year with a remarkably consistent performance, losing back-to-back games only once and that coming in the first month of the season. They’re well-positioned within the league and even better-positioned in the national picture for a strong postseason.

“We’re thrilled obviously to be hosting a playoff series here at Gutterson Arena,” UVM coach Kevin Sneddon says. “[We were] fortunate to experience that last year and really feel proud of our program for being able to do it back-to-back years. It was a season of tests and obstacles, and [we’re] certainly very pleased that we were able to finish tied for third.”

However, as is so often the case for four-seeds vs. five-seeds, there’s a lot for the home team to be concerned about. Dropping three of four points to the River Hawks three weekends ago certainly caught the Catamounts’ attention.

“They believe in their systems and how they play,” Sneddon says. “They keep it very simple five-on-five and don’t make many mistakes. If your team feeds off of transition play and trying to capitalize on other teams’ mistakes, you can get frustrated by Lowell. They’re very disciplined.

“They do a great job of getting the puck out of their zone. Their special teams are very, very good. Their penalty kill has been a strength for them. It’s number one in the league [in league play] and they zip the puck around pretty good on the power play with some guys who can bang it pretty well. That gave us some problems this year when we played them.

“Their goaltending stood up very tall against us in the recent series. Their 1-0 win really came down to one tough goal against us on the power play, a shorthanded goal.

“They’re very well coached, very disciplined. They don’t take any unnecessary after-the-whistle penalties. They’re very solid from the net out.”

The River Hawks are also hot, bouncing back from a tough stretch around Christmas to finish 8-3-2 with eight of those final thirteen games on the road.

“We finished the season pretty strong,” UML coach Blaise MacDonald says. “Some of the keys for our success have been our special teams, our penalty killing and our power play. We’ve been streaky in scoring goals, but overall our team defense has been pretty solid.

“We’ve gained a lot of confidence in playing well and winning on the road in some tough environments. That builds confidence in a club and is something we will need for sure this weekend in Vermont.”

MacDonald knows his team will have its hands full in trying to duplicate the success of a few weeks ago.

“Our first mission is to try to limit all of the weapons Vermont has up front,” he says. “You’re not going to eliminate them, but just limit the high scoring opportunities their forwards are going to get. We have to play careful, tenacious defense.

“I think Viktor Stalberg is arguably one of the best, if not the best, three players in the entire country. He needs to be watched closely.”

While Lowell’s home and away splits were essentially identical, the Catamounts posted a 10-4-4 mark at Gutterson Fieldhouse.

“When you go up there, you have to take what the game gives you,” MacDonald says. “Your [game] management skills have to be at a higher level when you’re the road team. You have to control the controllables.

“You have to make good changes, make sure you stay out of the penalty box as best you can. You’re not going to be able to match lines so you have to be prepared for different line matchups that you may not want.

“You need solid defense. It starts with your defense being able to defend and transition the puck. We feel very confident that our core of defensemen is very good at that.”

• Replies 934
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/03/springfields_tj_syner_and_umas.html?category=UMass%20Hockey

T.J. Syner enters his first Hockey East playoff series headed in the right direction.

And Syner, of Springfield, is more than ready to further his progress as the University of Massachusetts hockey team takes on Northeastern in a best-of-3 Hockey East quarterfinal series this weekend in Boston.

Game 1 is Friday night at 7 at Matthews Arena, where all three games will be played.

Northeastern (23-9-4, 18-6-3) earned the home ice advantage as the second seed, while UMass (15-18-3, 10-14-3) was seventh.

Game 2 is Saturday night at 7:30, and will be televised on NESN. A third game, if necessary, would be Sunday night at 7.

The teams are meeting in the playoffs for the first time.

"It's unbelievable," Syner said of the playoffs. "My biggest thrill so far has been playing those home games against teams like BC and BU."

Three of Syner's seven goals this season have come over the last five games. He scored in home games against Maine and No. 1 Boston University, and on the road at Merrimack. He finished the season with a plus-6 rating.

Syner had plenty of family and friends backing him in the games at Amherst. But this series will be on the road, and on a much smaller ice surface.

"I'll have to pick and choose my spots, and be ready to react quickly," Syner said.

Syner and the fast-skating Minutemen make good use of the wide open spaces and the easy to find passing seams of the Mullins Center sheet, but will have to be ready to adjust to the traffic jams at Matthews, where the hard-hitting Huskies are planning to cut them off.

Northeastern leads the league in penalty minutes - 19.4 per game - but is third in penalty killing (86.8 percent).

UMass gave the Huskies fits in the regular season with two wins in three games.

The Minutemen won 6-4 Jan. 30 at Amherst with the help of two goals from Alex Berry and four assists by James Marcou. Northeastern overturned a 2-0 first-period deficit to pull out a 5-3 victory at the Mullins Center Feb. 13, but UMass didn't let a 2-0 lead get away the next night in Boston with Justin Braun and Casey Wellman scoring en route to a 4-1 victory.

The Minutemen hope to continue their success against Northeastern standout goaltender Brad Thiessen, who is considered one of the top players in the nation. Thiessen has played every minute in goal for the Huskies, and has played more minutes than any goaltender in the country (2,184). He is also second in the nation in wins (23), and saves (1,035).

"He's our best player most nights," Northeastern coach Greg Cronin said Tuesday. "It's always good to have your goalie as your best player, it has a healthy effect on your entire team."

UMass is the only team besides BU to have won the season series with Northeastern.

"As I've said in the past, the season has been up and down," UMass coach Toot Cahoon said. "I think our record speaks for itself. We've been a hard team to figure out, both internally and externally. It seems to go as our team's offense and special teams go.

"I think we've caught them (Northeastern) at times when they've come off a huge series."

Cahoon also said UMass must stay out of the penalty box as the downfall in many games this year came during even strength after key players had suffered fatigue from killing penalties.

NOTES:This is the seventh straight year that UMass has qualified for the Hockey East tournament - the Minutemen's all-time record is 8-18 . . . UMass has reached the semifinals three times, all in the last six years . . . It's the first time the Huskies have hosted a playoff series since 1998. They are 10-2-2 at home while averaging 4,280 in attendance . . . UMass is 4-8-2 on the road . . . Northeastern is 26-5-4 all-time against UMass at Matthews Arena. 

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ssf/2009/03/springfields_tj_syner_and_umas.html?category=UMass%20Hockey

T.J. Syner enters his first Hockey East playoff series headed in the right direction.

And Syner, of Springfield, is more than ready to further his progress as the University of Massachusetts hockey team takes on Northeastern in a best-of-3 Hockey East quarterfinal series this weekend in Boston.

Game 1 is Friday night at 7 at Matthews Arena, where all three games will be played.

Northeastern (23-9-4, 18-6-3) earned the home ice advantage as the second seed, while UMass (15-18-3, 10-14-3) was seventh.

Game 2 is Saturday night at 7:30, and will be televised on NESN. A third game, if necessary, would be Sunday night at 7.

The teams are meeting in the playoffs for the first time.

"It's unbelievable," Syner said of the playoffs. "My biggest thrill so far has been playing those home games against teams like BC and BU."

Three of Syner's seven goals this season have come over the last five games. He scored in home games against Maine and No. 1 Boston University, and on the road at Merrimack. He finished the season with a plus-6 rating.

Syner had plenty of family and friends backing him in the games at Amherst. But this series will be on the road, and on a much smaller ice surface.

"I'll have to pick and choose my spots, and be ready to react quickly," Syner said.

Syner and the fast-skating Minutemen make good use of the wide open spaces and the easy to find passing seams of the Mullins Center sheet, but will have to be ready to adjust to the traffic jams at Matthews, where the hard-hitting Huskies are planning to cut them off.

Northeastern leads the league in penalty minutes - 19.4 per game - but is third in penalty killing (86.8 percent).

UMass gave the Huskies fits in the regular season with two wins in three games.

The Minutemen won 6-4 Jan. 30 at Amherst with the help of two goals from Alex Berry and four assists by James Marcou. Northeastern overturned a 2-0 first-period deficit to pull out a 5-3 victory at the Mullins Center Feb. 13, but UMass didn't let a 2-0 lead get away the next night in Boston with Justin Braun and Casey Wellman scoring en route to a 4-1 victory.

The Minutemen hope to continue their success against Northeastern standout goaltender Brad Thiessen, who is considered one of the top players in the nation. Thiessen has played every minute in goal for the Huskies, and has played more minutes than any goaltender in the country (2,184). He is also second in the nation in wins (23), and saves (1,035).

"He's our best player most nights," Northeastern coach Greg Cronin said Tuesday. "It's always good to have your goalie as your best player, it has a healthy effect on your entire team."

UMass is the only team besides BU to have won the season series with Northeastern.

"As I've said in the past, the season has been up and down," UMass coach Toot Cahoon said. "I think our record speaks for itself. We've been a hard team to figure out, both internally and externally. It seems to go as our team's offense and special teams go.

"I think we've caught them (Northeastern) at times when they've come off a huge series."

Cahoon also said UMass must stay out of the penalty box as the downfall in many games this year came during even strength after key players had suffered fatigue from killing penalties.

NOTES:This is the seventh straight year that UMass has qualified for the Hockey East tournament - the Minutemen's all-time record is 8-18 . . . UMass has reached the semifinals three times, all in the last six years . . . It's the first time the Huskies have hosted a playoff series since 1998. They are 10-2-2 at home while averaging 4,280 in attendance . . . UMass is 4-8-2 on the road . . . Northeastern is 26-5-4 all-time against UMass at Matthews Arena. 

wow no wondah why JonE and Garb came out of woodwork?:D

wow no wondah why JonE and Garb came out of woodwork?:D

Home ice didn't do them much good back in '98 when Lowell beat them! Did I mention that the last time Northeastern made the semifinals was back in my senior year of college?

All games into the third.....

UML 1 Vermont 3

UMass 2 Northeastern 1

BC 5 UNH 3 :Nuts:

Maine 1 BU 1

"That is why they play the games."

Final scores on a Friday night.

Lowell 4 UVM 3 (OT)

UMass 2 Northeastern 1

BC 5 UNH 3

BU 2 Maine 1

124 Univeristy?

I guess they don't factor spelling into their admissions' process.

(My sister's probably not going to go there, though. My brother's still waiting for his acceptance or denial letter. You transferred from a community college too, right? When did yours come in?)

I guess they don't factor spelling into their admissions' process.

(My sister's probably not going to go there, though. My brother's still waiting for his acceptance or denial letter. You transferred from a community college too, right? When did yours come in?)

You should stay out of this thread. 124 has seen a college hockey game in person. You? Not so much.

BTW: Northeastern cant win a playoff series if their life depended on it.

You should stay out of this thread. 124 has seen a college hockey game in person. You? Not so much.

I've seen a few college hockey games. Nothing in the Hockey East, but still college hockey. Therefore, I stay in thread.

Northeastern = choke jobs.

I've seen a few college hockey games. Nothing in the Hockey East, but still college hockey. Therefore, I stay in thread.

Northeastern = choke jobs.

You have seen college hockey in person?

Lowell came back from a 3-1 hole in the 3rd period to tie the game with 29 seconds left and then won in OT with 9 seconds left.

If Lowell wins tomorrow I will be at the Boston Garden next Friday.

Honest to Gawd! They remind me of the Jets - :bag: Not only the hockey team - their basketball team showed a lot of promise - everyone singing their praises - and they choked like dogs down the stretch. I think it's the water on Huntington Ave - or the ghost of Reggie Lewis - it's something! Thank Gawd I'm a Pats fan first and foremost. At least they rewarded my loyalty.

You have seen college hockey in person?

Lowell came back from a 3-1 hole in the 3rd period to tie the game with 29 seconds left and then won in OT with 9 seconds left.

If Lowell wins tomorrow I will be at the Boston Garden next Friday.

I saw a Fordham University game years ago. I don't remember it, but it still counts! :lol:

I'm not sure if my sister went to the BU game. She was in Arkansas this past week during Spring break or whatever doing Habitat for Humanity stuff. I'm not sure if she's back yet, lol.

Honest to Gawd! They remind me of the Jets - :bag: Not only the hockey team - their basketball team showed a lot of promise - everyone singing their praises - and they choked like dogs down the stretch. I think it's the water on Huntington Ave - or the ghost of Reggie Lewis - it's something! Thank Gawd I'm a Pats fan first and foremost. At least they rewarded my loyalty.

Northeastern should invest invest in some high-quality cameras.

Northeastern should invest invest in some high-quality cameras.

Jets fans are bitter and jaded at any age, I see. Is there some kind of manual? How to be a dooshie Jets Fan? ;) You take a test, pass and wa-la! You're on the gang green (envy) team? I bet you aced the exam, right?

What NU needs to do is stop settling for the BC and BU recruiting rejects Sometimes I wonder if the co-op program impedes the recruiting process. Or, maybe the Huskies coach is a dink. He acts like one. Who knows. I do know that Lil Bit will be crowing and I'll be eating it. Again, this is what it must feel like to be a Jets fan. ;)

Sweet.

Hockey Cats drop Game 1 in OT

UMass-Lowell takes lead in quarterfinal series

Call it deja vu, or look at it as a scene right out of Groundhog’s Day, but whatever Lowell does in the fading seconds of a period, the University of Vermont hockey team better make certain the potential for such situations doesn’t arise tonight.

Because if it does, the Catamounts aren’t going to the Hockey East Association frozen four at the TD Banknorth Garden next week.

In an eerie replay of a game just a few weeks back, the fifth-seeded Riverhawks (17-15-2) blasted in the tying goal in the facing seconds of regulation, then stuck the dagger in the No. 4 Catamounts (20-9-5) with two seconds left in the first overtime for a 4-3 victory in the opening game of the best-of-3 quarterfinal series at Gutterson Fieldhouse on Friday.

Now, it’s win tonight for the Catamounts, forcing a decisive game Sunday, or take next weekend off and hope their season has been strong enough to get them an NCAA Division I at-large berth.

As for Friday, Vermont had leads of 2-0 and 3-1, the latter midway through the third, and couldn’t close out the Riverhawks, just as the Catamounts failed to do earlier this year.

On Feb. 20, Michael Scheu’s goal with 26 seconds left in regulation salvaged a 3-3 tie for UML at UVM.

Friday night, Nick Schaus didn’t wait quite that late; he scored with 29 seconds remaining to wipe out another 3-2 Vermont lead.

Maury Edwards beat the clock at the end of the first overtime by two seconds, pushing Vermont to the brink of elimination.

“Obviously frustrated,” said UVM coach Kevin Sneddon, who saw two two-goal leads evaporate. “I felt we had the game in hand at one point.”

“It was a hard fought game ... against a very good team. (It’s) difficult in this building and in a playoff game to come from behind against a very good team,” UML coach Blaise MacDonald said. “Our guys deserve credit for sticking with it, believing in themselves and taking small segments of the game and trying to build their confidence.”

The game was not without its controversy, at least from the viewpoint of an avid home crowd. Two situations in particular drew choruses of boos.

The first was a five-minute major penalty against UVM’s Brayden Irwin at 9:31 of the third period after UVM’s Dan Lawson had inflated the Vermont lead to 3-1 nine minutes earlier, Peter Lenes and Dean Strong having earlier scored. Still, the Catamounts responded well, keeping UML without a shot until the Catamounts’ Viktor Stalberg incurred a minor for tripping.

Lowell’s David Vallorani, at the back post behind UVM goalie Rob Madore (24 saves), made the two-man advantage pay off by stuffing in Jonathan Maniff’s cross-slot pass.

“I thought we took two very poor penalties that hurt our team,” Sneddon said. “The five-minute hit-from-behind was the correct call; it was a bad penalty, and then we take another one later one to give them life again. You can’t give a team like that a 5-on-3 in a playoff game.”

That made it 3-2 and Vermont still had victory in its hands ... until UML, as it had done Feb. 20, removed goalie Carter Hutton (27 saves) for an extra attacker with a minute remaining in regulation.

That’s when the second situation arose: Stalberg, on a semi-break toward the open net, went down when UML defender Barry Goers put his stick across Stalberg’s ankle in the Lowell zone. Stalberg’s empy-net bid, as Corey Carlson’s a few weeks earlier, went wide, and the referees let the play continue.

So back up ice went Lowell, hemming in the Catamounts and working hard until Schaus found an opening to net the goal that forced overtime.

“Eerily similar ... eerily similar. ... We hoped our weak side forward would have a clue,” Sneddon said. “Disappointing; we’ve given up three or four goals to Lowell, all from the same position. Wrong players on the ice, obviously ... they won’t be there tomorrow night. That’s all I’ll say about that.”

UVM failed to score on a power play in overtime and a second overtime loomed until Edwards drove home the winner.

“Honestly, I don’t know. It’s got to be a luck thing or just trying to get pucks to the net at the end of the game and getting lucky on a couple,” said Edwards of UML’s ability to prick Vermont’s defense late in periods.

“I thought we played pretty well tonight, just disappointed again in not stepping on the throat when we had them 3-1,” Sneddon said. “We’ll learn from our mistakes and come back hard again (tonight).”

Now the Catamounts must win ... or sit.

“We have a heck of a hockey team here ... everybody put their best foot forward,” said Lawson. “They’re a good team, too, and sometimes the puck doesn’t go your way. A couple bounces here, a couple bounces there, and it’s a completely different game.

“We’ve got two more games and we’re going to do what we can to get both them,” Lawson said.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20090313/SPORTS/90313037/1002

I have nothing to add

The real NU folded like an accordian since it was announced they were moving

to the crap league.

maybe the real NU will Play Huskie U in NIT in bball

Funny how that crap league will still be around next year.

Congrats to Lowell on their huge comeback victory last night.

Congrats to BC on their ass kicking in Durham last night.

Congrats to BU for toying with Maine making them think they have a chance in this series.

It was a great atmosphere at Matthews last night. Students were unbelievable. Exactly what a college crowd should be. And best soda prices around- $2 for a 20oz bottle! Too bad all they had was popcorn and candy to eat.

nope this league is crap

will also limit scholly's and limit trips to play real schools like Mich Cornell

Dude...seriously....what player in the ESPN Top 150 would choose Niagara over a real hockey school?

Congrats to Lowell on their huge comeback victory last night.

Congrats to BC on their ass kicking in Durham last night.

Congrats to BU for toying with Maine making them think they have a chance in this series.

It was a great atmosphere at Matthews last night. Students were unbelievable. Exactly what a college crowd should be. And best soda prices around- $2 for a 20oz bottle! Too bad all they had was popcorn and candy to eat.

:bp1:

Hello enuff good players to beat UNH in NCAA dance;)

Every dog has his day. Niagara had theirs and now they are in crap league.

UNH will not be worrying about the tournament this year.

Lowell and BC have punched their tickets to the Garden. UMass & Northeastern as well as Maine & BU play tonight to see who else will make the trip.

What are the chances if UMass wins that JonE disappears until 2014 which is roughly the next time the Huskies are going to be relevant?

Archived