4th and 4 from the Titans' 30 yard line....

SoFlaJets

It's the 4th quarter and we're up by 2 TD's

4-4-TEN 30 (3:49) 4-B.Favre pass incomplete deep right to 87-L.Coles. PENALTY on TEN-29-C.Carr, Defensive Pass Interference, 24 yards, enforced at TEN 30 - No Play.

This play stunned me-as a lifetime Jets fan it's a call we haven't seen in a generation...I LOVED IT!!!!

4-4-TEN 30 (3:49) 4-B.Favre pass incomplete deep right to 87-L.Coles. PENALTY on TEN-29-C.Carr, Defensive Pass Interference, 24 yards, enforced at TEN 30 - No Play.

This play stunned me-as a lifetime Jets fan it's a call we haven't seen in a generation...I LOVED IT!!!!

Great play call. Mangini is getting his balls back. It has something he has missed since 2006.

yea it was something we had become accustomed to NEVER seeing the Jets under Herm and Mangini do but there it was-you could tell that it was a Favre-only call. This is the most fun I've had as a Jets fan in a decade

I agree but beating the Pats in New England is a better feeling in my opinion.

yea it was something we had become accustomed to NEVER seeing the Jets under Herm and Mangini do but there it was-you could tell that it was a Favre-only call. This is the most fun I've had as a Jets fan in a decade

Agreed Jimmy. Best season since 1998 and I never thought I'd see the Jets go for it on 4th and 4, up 14, with 4 minutes to go. For sure I thought they would've punted or tried a long field goal, but it was a smart call and I'm glad they did what they did.

I agree but beating the Pats in New England is a better feeling in my opinion.

no I meant overall Ghost...I looked at this schedule of us playing Buffalo up there St Louis at home, NE up THERE and Tenny down there (this after JUST squeaking past Herm's Chiefs and losing to frigging Oakland) and thought that we would probably come out of this 4 game stretch 1-4 and we SWEPT!!!!

no I meant overall Ghost...I looked at this schedule of us playing Buffalo up there St Louis at home, NE up THERE and Tenny down there (this after JUST squeaking past Herm's Chiefs and losing to frigging Oakland) and thought that we would probably come out of this 4 game stretch 1-4 and we SWEPT!!!!

I still think we need to get passed either the Steelers or Titans. I honestly do not want to face the Colts in the 1st game but I can picture us running down their throat like the Jags did last year.

I don't think the decision to throw the ball was as gutsy at all, because it's the right move in that situation.

- Our punter isn't Jeff Feagles, so the odds of pinning them inside their 5-yard line is slim, so even a good punt nets 20 yards, but possibly only 10 yards with a touchback.

- A 47-yard FG attempt would've been foolish, as a miss gives Tennessee the ball at their 37, down by two TD's with over 3 1/2 minutes to go.

- A running play that doesn't move the chains is worthless, as the clock stops on a change of possession

To me, that leaves the only option as a pass, though I expected a higher percentage play, like a completion underneath to Keller, or a quick slant/screen.

I'm happy the play went the way it did, but it wasn't the ingenius call that people are making it out to be. I will agree, however, that it is has been rare to see a Jets coach make the right decision in that situation.

I don't think the decision to throw the ball was as gutsy at all, because it's the right move in that situation.

- Our punter isn't Jeff Feagles, so the odds of pinning them inside their 5-yard line is slim, so even a good punt nets 20 yards, but possibly only 10 yards with a touchback.

- A 47-yard FG attempt would've been foolish, as a miss gives Tennessee the ball at their 37, down by two TD's with over 3 1/2 minutes to go.

- A running play that doesn't move the chains is worthless, as the clock stops on a change of possession

To me, that leaves the only option as a pass, though I expected a higher percentage play, like a completion underneath to Keller, or a quick slant/screen.

I'm happy the play went the way it did, but it wasn't the ingenius call that people are making it out to be. I will agree, however, that it is has been rare to see a Jets coach make the right decision in that situation.

it wasn't a punting situation Johnny-we were on their 30-that would have made it a 47 yard FG attempt-make able for Feely...it wasn't an "ingenious" call it was a gutsy call, a step on their neck when they're down call

it wasn't a punting situation Johnny-we were on their 30-that would have made it a 47 yard FG attempt-make able for Feely...it wasn't an "ingenious" call it was a gutsy call, a step on their neck when they're down call

I was responding to 124's post, but didn't quote him...

For sure I thought they would've punted or tried a long field goal, but it was a smart call and I'm glad they did what they did.

And I still don't think it was a gutsy call at all, because it was the right call and the one that gives you the best chance to keep Tennessee from coming back.

Favre completing a 4-yard pass is probably a higher percentage play than a Jay Feely 47-yard FG attempt anyhow and when factoring in what you gain from a conversion on either play, it really becomes a no-brainer IMO.

Look, I think the coaching staff was much improved yesterday, but I'm not going to gush about Mangini making a call that any competent football coach in any league would make.

I have to call some of you guys out. Had there not been a penalty, most everyone here would have been going nuts. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Was I glad, hell yeah. Was it the right call, I'm not so sure. We're up by two scores, a 47 yd. fg isn't a chip shot, but it's not like it was 60 yards away. A good kicker shouldn't have much of a problem. I agree with not punting. I think it was gutsy and had it gone the other way I for one would have been ripping him a new one. I'm not sure how I feel about the coaching staff right now. Clearly it's come a long way from the 3 up the middle runs on goal line. Is it Favre understanding the game book and getting use to his teammates? Or is Mangini starting to get better at calling plays. I don't know. Hopefully a nice blend of both.

He can only make the field goals that he is asked to kick. His impact on the game yesterday was the kickoffs, where although they were not deep, they positioned the Titans deep by pinning the returner on the sideline.

Let me read off the Starting field positions for the Titans:

START QTR POSS. YARD PLAYS YARDS RESULT

15:00 1 01:22 TEN 27 3 3 Punt

08:54 1 02:30 TEN 23 6 18 Punt

03:38 1 00:16 TEN 13 3 0 Punt

15:00 2 01:27 TEN 21 4 27 Punt

12:30 2 01:01 TEN 42 3 7 Punt (off Favre's INT)

03:59 2 03:08 TEN 25 12 50 Field Goal

07:59 3 00:00 TEN 24 1 0 Fumble

03:02 3 05:12 TEN 22 11 47 Field Goal

11:07 4 01:24 TEN 34 4 66 Touchdown

02:09 4 02:09 TEN 19 6 64 End of Game

He helped the Jets immensely by leading to an advantage in the field position game.

We all signed up to give Magini 3 yrs. He's in year 3 and just beat the Pats and a 10-0 Titans team on the road.

While Favre was a no brainer X-Mas present, Eric and Mangini did gut/draft/sign FA's to get the roster to a point where it is arguably top 5 in football......all in 3 short years.

He's had his ups and downs but if we signed on to give him 3 years to produce we really cannot complain at this point.

We all signed up to give Magini 3 yrs. He's in year 3 and just beat the Pats and a 10-0 Titans team on the road.

While Favre was a no brainer X-Mas present, Eric and Mangini did gut/draft/sign FA's to get the roster to a point where it is arguably top 5 in football......all in 3 short years.

He's had his ups and downs but if we signed on to give him 3 years to produce we really cannot complain at this point.

Wanna bet?

that to me was an indictment of sutton

manigni didn't want to see his defense out there

a FG ends the game

he wanted the ball in favres hands as long as possible

I can't argue

that to me was an indictment of sutton

manigni didn't want to see his defense out there

a FG ends the game

he wanted the ball in favres hands as long as possible

I can't argue

I have to disagree and in fact we need to give Bob Sutton his due for what he has done with this defense. We wanted him run out of town on a rail last year

I have to disagree and in fact we need to give Bob Sutton his due for what he has done with this defense. We wanted him run out of town on a rail last year

that's cool, but think about it. Is mangini a gambler ?

I really like what sutton does for 3 qtrs

the 4th quarter I have to watch from between my fingers

ispi025036.jpg

he was up against offensive genius mike heimerdinger yesterday :eek:

the way to beat the JETs D is to spread them out and attack the LB's in coverage and pick on lowery. he figured out the TE vs LB part, but for some bizarre reason never picked on lowery. I can't give sutton credit for that

if the titans don't drop a lot of passes, the game could have unfolded very differently

the 4th down call had nothing to do with being a riverboat gambler with killer instinct, and everything to do with wanting to play keep away

either way it worked, and that's what counts :cheers:

Archived