Is Pettitte a phony?

NIGHT STALKER

Someone in the NY Post wrote this article........

I tell you this as a way of saying no matter what CC Sabathia or Mark Teixeira get this offseason, I will again have no qualms. But I will if Andy Pettitte takes money from any team not named the New York Yankees. If Pettitte signs elsewhere, regardless of the dollar figure, he should be viewed as a world-class phony forever around here. There should be no more pardons. He should receive no invites to future Old-Timers Games, hear no cheers when the dynastic teams reassemble. In his moment of need, when it was revealed Pettitte was both a liar and cheater, the Yankees stood by him last season. At that time, Pettitte was only too happy to say the Yankees were the only team he ever wanted to play for any more. He did not say he only wanted to play for the Yankees unless they offer him a paycut.The Yanks have indeed offered that cut. Pettitte made $16 million last year and, according to sources, he was offered $10 million to return in 2009. So far, Pettitte has rejected that bid while his camp has done nothing to dispel reports linking him to Joe Torre and the Dodgers. (New York Post)

You think he is worth more than 10 million a year?

No, and I don't particularly care if he comes back. If Pettitte and the Dodgers, or whomever, think differently, that's their business. He doesn't owe any charity to Cluess Joe and Der Hankenfuhrer.

The writer of that Post article is a whiny tool.

You think he is worth more than 10 million a year?
In the NL, may be. But in the AL, he simply isn't good enough to justify that salary. Don't think he's a bad guy, this is a mutual decision.

Bob-

Hank's taking 2 giant steps back; Low Key Hal is running the show. But even if Hank was the new Boss, Pettitte's 2009 didn't justify a $10 million contract in 2009. Would you prefer the Coupon family out in Flushing or the Walmart/Royals Glass family? I'll take the Steinbrenners over anyone else.

10 million bucks is "bending him over "? You're insane. He isn't even worth 10 million. None of these players have any loyalty, and neither do the teams. It's all business.

If he can get more elsewhere, why shouldn't he? If the Yankees don't want to pay him more, they've got no obligation to do so.

Neither Pettitte nor the Yankees owe the other anything. This idea that he ought to take less from the Yankees because some whiny sportswriter thinks the ballclub is a charity case is ridiculous.

Sports is part of the entertainment business...it's a huge money making machine. When I was growing up, sports figures had to get second jobs to supplement their income. Players most likely stayed with their teams they started off with unless they were traded.

Yanks owe Andy nothing and vice versa...

In the NL, may be. But in the AL, he simply isn't good enough to justify that salary. Don't think he's a bad guy, this is a mutual decision.

Bob-

Hank's taking 2 giant steps back; Low Key Hal is running the show. But even if Hank was the new Boss, Pettitte's 2009 didn't justify a $10 million contract in 2009. Would you prefer the Coupon family out in Flushing or the Walmart/Royals Glass family? I'll take the Steinbrenners over anyone else.

This comment is stupid. He might have more success in the NL due to the weaker lineups, but why would he be "worth more money". Everyone is playing on an even field. Its not like Pettite would be the only pitcher that gets to pitch against an opposing pitcher.

This comment is stupid. He might have more success in the NL due to the weaker lineups, but why would he be "worth more money". Everyone is playing on an even field. Its not like Pettite would be the only pitcher that gets to pitch against an opposing pitcher.
Point being Pettitte might be more successful facing weaker NL lineups. As a 2nd or 3rd starter in the NL, he could get by and might be worth $10 million as well as extending his career a bit. With the Yankees in the AL East, he'd be facing 1-9 hitters almsot every night. And in that situation he's at best a 4 or 5. That's not worth $10 million per. Pettitte the 2nd half of the season was awful. Possibly a swithc to the NL might do him some good.

Point being Pettitte might be more successful facing weaker NL lineups. As a 2nd or 3rd starter in the NL, he could get by and might be worth $10 million as well as extending his career a bit. With the Yankees in the AL East, he'd be facing 1-9 hitters almsot every night. And in that situation he's at best a 4 or 5. That's not worth $10 million per. Pettitte the 2nd half of the season was awful. Possibly a swithc to the NL might do him some good.

Like how Barry Zito had greater success in the NL, right? And a litany of other pitchers.

Or, maybe Maddux just liked to hit?

How would you necessarily know what his reasons were?

Were Santana's numbers so amazingly better than what he was in the AL?

I don't really know, I doubt leaving millions on the table (Yankees) is just to hit...come on now, it's either he didn't want the bright lights of NY or he knew his ERA and W's and L's wouldn't be as good playing in the NL.

Santana? He's got one year under his belt, you can't really compare...let's see if he gets a little more run support from your Mets this season.

NL-4.63 runs a game, 4.30 ERA, 9.1 hits per game, 3.4 walks, 1.02 HRs per game;

AL-4.68 runs a game, 4.36 ERA, 9.2 hits per game, 3.3 walks, 1.00 HRs per game.

It would seem from watching games in each league the disparity with the DH would be greater than those numbers. It always seems like the NL pitcher work the lineup to get to that 8/9 easy out spot, while AL pitchers don't seem to have that luxury.

It would seem from watching games in each league the disparity with the DH would be greater than those numbers. It always seems like the NL pitcher work the lineup to get to that 8/9 easy out spot, while AL pitchers don't seem to have that luxury.

The NL also has some real bandbox type ballparks.

Night Stalker-A pitcher should be BETTER in his first year in a league, because the majority of hitters don't know him.

When speaking about Santana, I was not looking at wins, moreso his other major statistics.

Like how Barry Zito had greater success in the NL, right? And a litany of other pitchers.

It was clear (to some people anyway) that for some reason or another that Zito had just LOST IT. The guy was getting worse and worse for a few years running and I said as soon as he signed with SF that it was the best signing the Yankees and Mets never made. Zito is a bad example. God..what the hell are the Giants gonna do with him anyway?

The answer to the topic is YES. Pettite is definitely a phony, but most people are and would take the most money. When it comes to Pettite use of performance enhancing drugs; who knows? The only thing I believed that came out of his mouth was not how many times he used, but the fact that Clemens was a user.

The advantage of pitching against batting pitchers is definitely overblown. Most games, they only face a pitcher 2 or 3 times. Not to mention that the pitcher has a chance to make a productive out a lot of the time. Most pitchers hit between .100 and .200 compared to around .250-.300 for most DHs. That's what, one extra hit every other game?

What is the average innings per start in the AL and NL?

The advantage of pitching against batting pitchers is definitely overblown. Most games, they only face a pitcher 2 or 3 times. Not to mention that the pitcher has a chance to make a productive out a lot of the time. Most pitchers hit between .100 and .200 compared to around .250-.300 for most DHs. That's what, one extra hit every other game?

As a pitcher would you rather face Barry Zito or David Ortiz? The batting average argument is weak. What about RBI's or HR's between pitchers in the NL and DH's in the AL?

Archived