Chad Pennington, MVP?

NY JETS 29

Meanwhile, you still have Pennington in you Avatar... In a Jets jersey :rolleyes:

Terrible recievers? That's why Chad has over 3,000 yards so far?

Terrible defense? Time to re-check your stats.

I'm not going to even respond to your pathetic sumation of our running game.

Ahem... I think it was sarcasm.....

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Meanwhile, you still have Pennington in you Avatar... In a Jets jersey :rolleyes:

Haha, this is fantastic. I think the heat is going to your head a little my fishy friend. :biggrin:

My post was extremely tongue-in-cheek and meant to display the ridiculous lengths some people will go to in order to make Chad better than he is. When Chad has a bad game, its not Chad's fault, its the defenses. When Chad has a good game, its actually a great game, because he would've played even better if his run game played better. When Chad has a decent season, its actually MVP caliber because his WRs aren't anywhere near as good as apparently any other WRs in the league. The excuses never end for Chad and every other player on his team is ready to be thrown under the bus at a moments notice to try to make him look better.

As far as my avatar, look at the company Chad is keeping. Its not exactly a good thing.

10_12_strikeout_call.jpg

Haha, this is fantastic. I think the heat is going to your head a little my fishy friend. :biggrin:

My post was extremely tongue-in-cheek and meant to display the ridiculous lengths some people will go to in order to make Chad better than he is. When Chad has a bad game, its not Chad's fault, its the defenses. When Chad has a good game, its actually a great game, because he would've played even better if his run game played better. When Chad has a decent season, its actually MVP caliber because his WRs aren't anywhere near as good as apparently any other WRs in the league. The excuses never end for Chad and every other player on his team is ready to be thrown under the bus at a moments notice to try to make him look better.

As far as my avatar, look at the company Chad is keeping. Its not exactly a good thing.

;) You should use this when being sarcastic.

If you need a winking emoticon to point out to you that his post was made firmly tongue-in-cheek, then you are even more unwitting than you let on...

He's a JI transplant, I'm not yet familiar with his posting traits. Don't worry, I'll study some previous posts and draw up a Bio, so that next time I'll be ready ;)

Pennington does merit consideration. In the sense of the word he's as "valuable" as any player is to their team. Without him the Dolphins find it hard pressed to win two games this season. Their running attack has been great overrated by all this Wildcat nonsense which to be honest has only been really effective for about two games. Pennington for the most part has been the best part of that offense along with the O-line. The fact of the matter is, last year the Dolphins won 1 game, this year with Pennington at QB and with a new coaching staff they are a playoff contender.

Maybe Parcells/Sparano should be MVP. LOL

Pennington does merit consideration. In the sense of the word he's as "valuable" as any player is to their team. Without him the Dolphins find it hard pressed to win two games this season. Their running attack has been great overrated by all this Wildcat nonsense which to be honest has only been really effective for about two games. Pennington for the most part has been the best part of that offense along with the O-line. The fact of the matter is, last year the Dolphins won 1 game, this year with Pennington at QB and with a new coaching staff they are a playoff contender.

Maybe Parcells/Sparano should be MVP. LOL

That's crap.

He walked into a great situation. That team, with that schedule was winning at least 6 games this year with McNown. Had Tampa got Favre and Miami Garcia, they'd have have 10 wins right now..

If Cam Cameron was still in Miami, Chad wins 4 games this year.

It the Parcels effect. I only pray that they extend him and think they are close enough to only add a piece or two (like us in 2007) Next year when Miami has to play the NFC and AFC South, Chad will have his normal odd year implosion..

That's crap.

He walked into a great situation. That team, with that schedule was winning at least 6 games this year with McNown. Had Tampa got Favre and Miami Garcia, they'd have have 10 wins right now..

If Cam Cameron was still in Miami, Chad wins 4 games this year.

It the Parcels effect. I only pray that they extend him and think they are close enough to only add a piece or two (like us in 2007) Next year when Miami has to play the NFC and AFC South, Chad will have his normal odd year implosion..

No, no, his intangibles brought the Phins together.

iizdakingof128618436524915135.jpg

The fact of the matter is, last year the Dolphins won 1 game, this year with Pennington at QB and with a new coaching staff they are a playoff contender.

2007 Dolphins Defense - 30th in points allowed

2008 Dolphins Defense - 9th in points allowed

2007 Dolphins Offense - 26th in points scored

2008 Dolphins Offense - 23rd in points scored

Wait, another LOCAL radio show...Max Kellerman to be exact had the same top of discussion on as Mike and Mike did... does Pennington deserve consideration for MVP??? I'm crazy for bringing it up though, it has zero merit, right?

Yes. These people need topics to talk about, MVP is one and you can throw a variety of names out there. The truth lies in the #'s. An MVP is a person who changes a team and without him the team drastically changes.

Too often it seems the media and fans lay too much blame and credit on the QB position. If we are talking about an MVP candidate, why can't we lump in Kerry Collins? His team had a turn around. Miami is a sexy team right now, kind of like the Browns were last year. Chad Pennington has been a "tragic" figure that the media and some around here still fawn over and side with. He has shown "grit" and "determination" overcoming the weakness of his arm with "smarts" and "work ethic". He was "dumped" by his former team and is experiencing a career "resurgence".

I am putting those in quotation marks because those are words that sell papers. Chad Pennington is a good QB. He's not elite, never will be and should not be a serious consideration for MVP. He has done a CP job in Miami... managing games, doing enough to win and nothing to lose... as long as he has a defense that in the 4th quarter can preserve leads.

Wait, another LOCAL radio show...Max Kellerman to be exact had the same top of discussion on as Mike and Mike did... does Pennington deserve consideration for MVP??? I'm crazy for bringing it up though, it has zero merit, right?

So, in your estimation, it's a worthwhile discussion because, in addition to Greenie pining for his mancrush, it was also mentioned by a guy who rose to "fame" as a boxing aficionado?

So, in your estimation, it's a worthwhile discussion because, in addition to Greenie pining for his mancrush, it was also mentioned by a guy who rose to "fame" as a boxing aficionado?

No, my point is I heard this twice today and was curious what others may think. Yes, personally I can name 5 players worthier then Pennington to be considered for MVP, probably more, but I can also make an argument for why he should be considered a candidate too. Thats all there is.

I do not see Pennington as MVP material even though he has played well for the Dolphins......The fact that he has thrown for over 3,000 yards and a 7.8 per attempt average are impressive but still do not reflect a big increase in scoring points.....

As he did in some early years with the Jets he has limited turning the ball over (6 ints) and Miami has only 4 lost fumbles.....Last year for the entire season the Dolphins had only 12 TDS passing and 16 ints and only 3050 passing yards for the season so he has been a major upgrade from last season.....

The Dolphins are #1 in the league at +12 in the turnover department....That plus a weak schedule has contributed to the Doplhins 8-5 record.......I give Pennington credit for having the Dolphins in contention but cannot consider a MVP candidate when the offense still ranks in the bottom half in scoring......

I do not see Pennington as MVP material even though he has played well for the Dolphins......The fact that he has thrown for over 3,000 yards and a 7.8 per attempt average are impressive but still do not reflect a big increase in scoring points.....

And that would be because only 6 teams in the league have had less red zone possessions than Miami... CPF at its finest.

If you want style points then go follow the BCS where style points count.

The only thing that matters in the NFL is wins and losses and right now the Fish are 8-5 and tied for the division lead. Pennington isn't the only reason they are where they are but he is a major contributor whether you like it or not.

If they win out and take the division then all of sudden that MVP talk doesn't sound so silly anymore. Tell me how many teams go from 1-15 to 11-5 in one season ? Will it happen ? Probably not.

He is having a typical Pennington year. He will probably throw for 3,500 yds, have 16-17 TD a 9 picks. Very respectable year considering. Probably not MVP worth but very respectable.

The one thing about QB's, is like they say. They get too much of the credit when a team is winning and too much of the blame when they lose.

If you want style points then go follow the BCS where style points count.

The only thing that matters in the NFL is wins and losses and right now the Fish are 8-5 and tied for the division lead. Pennington isn't the only reason they are where they are but he is a major contributor whether you like it or not.

If they win out and take the division then all of sudden that MVP talk doesn't sound so silly anymore. Tell me how many teams go from 1-15 to 11-5 in one season ? Will it happen ? Probably not.

He is having a typical Pennington year. He will probably throw for 3,500 yds, have 16-17 TD a 9 picks. Very respectable year considering. Probably not MVP worth but very respectable.

The one thing about QB's, is like they say. They get too much of the credit when a team is winning and too much of the blame when they lose.

If that's the case then Matt Ryan 100% HAS TO BE a serious consideration for MVP.

2007 Dolphins Offensive Red Zone Possessions - 7th least

2008 Dolphins Offensive Red Zone Possessions - 6th least (Tied)

2007 Dolphins Defensive Red Zone Possessions - 13th most, 32nd in opposing TD% (65.4%)

2008 Dolphins Defensive Red Zone Possessions - 24th most (Tied), 9th in opposing TD% (47.4%)

2007 Dolphins Offensive Red Zone Possessions - 7th least

2008 Dolphins Offensive Red Zone Possessions - 6th least (Tied)

2007 Dolphins Defensive Red Zone Possessions - 13th most, 32nd in opposing TD% (65.4%)

2008 Dolphins Defensive Red Zone Possessions - 24th most (Tied), 9th in opposing TD% (47.4%)

Do you have a stat comparing the turnover differential between last year and this year?

No, my point is I heard this twice today and was curious what others may think. Yes, personally I can name 5 players worthier then Pennington to be considered for MVP, probably more, but I can also make an argument for why he should be considered a candidate too. Thats all there is.

The issue you seem to be missing is that their is no legitimate argument to be made for that stance. Rather, it is just more of the same Penningtologist rhetoric that's been spewed for years now. Statements filled with lots of "buts" and "ifs" to justify all of the obvious and logical reasoning that supports a theory directly contrary to the one trying to be proven.

Absolutely agree 100%.

I see the point about records. You're right that obviously there are difference makers on teams that have winning records and are competitive/heading to the playoffs. But I do think that those teams truly need to be broken down. IMO the Phins/Falcons have been more of a turnaround due to the TEAM. Both have similarities in the sense of horrid season, terrible losing culture/traumatic type years, new coach that turns it around. Like I said I think this is more due to the TEAM. Better D, better run game, good signings, etc.

The MVP debate is very subjective but I will say that I agree that only teams that are competitive deserve to have their players in the discussion. I do not think Chad Pennington is amongst those meriting consideration.

Do you have a stat comparing the turnover differential between last year and this year?

Since we're talking strictly about Pennington, let's focus on TD's and INT's by Miami QB's - unless, of course, you want to give him credit for a reduction in fumbles by RB's/WR's/ST's or for an increase in defensive takeaways...

Through 13 games last year, Miami QB's threw 8 TD's against 16 INT's. Pennington has 12 TD's and 6 INT's.

None of those INT's last year were returned for TD's, versus the two pick-6's that Pennington has thrown this season.

You might also consider that in 2007, there was no Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown went on IR after 7 games. They also added the #1 overall pick at LT.

I guess you're right though... the radical transformation from the 26th-ranked scoring offense to the 23-ranked juggernaut they are today is all due to one James Chadwick Pennington.

Archived