kiper mock

afosomf

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The cardinal rule of drafting: never draft a WR from Gainesville. I don't care how tall or fast he is or how many yards or touchdowns he got as a Gator. They all suck in the pros. The only halfway decent ones were Ike Hilliard, who was hardly good value for a top-10 overall pick, and Darrell Jackson, whose favorite pastime in between injuries is dropping passes.

Here are all the "playmaker" prospects from Florida drafted in rounds 1-2 in the past 15 years:

Ike Hilliard

Chad Jackson

Travis Taylor

Jacquez Green

Reidel Anthony

Taylor Jacobs

Reche Caldwell

Jabar Gaffney

I think we can do better with the 17th overall pick.

I liked Harvin initially...but more that I think about it I'd stay away.

Florida runs such a gimmick offense...I cant really see him translating in the pros. Plus he's always banged up. I think he's a better prospect than McFadden but that really isnt saying much.

The only really notable offensive guys from the Gators are Fred Taylor and Emmitt Smith.

I guess Darrell JAckson is respectable.

There's a reason the SEC is known as a defense conference.

I liked Harvin initially...but more that I think about it I'd stay away.

Florida runs such a gimmick offense...I cant really see him translating in the pros. Plus he's always banged up. I think he's a better prospect than McFadden but that really isnt saying much.

The only really notable offensive guys from the Gators are Fred Taylor and Emmitt Smith.

I guess Darrell JAckson is respectable.

There's a reason the SEC is known as a defense conference.

Cris Collinsworth.

And just because other guys from a certain school sucked in the pros doesn't mean everyone who played at that school will suck.

Cool! How long has aec been running the PGA site?

So let me get this straight, since aec played minor league baseball for a week or so, he is the world's leading authority on athletes' emotional state and since aec answers the phones for a golf website that makes him the world's leading authority on web marketing and content. Got it.

I dont trust guys coming out of gimmick offenses early.

First of all, an offense that has won two of the last three national championships and two of this year's BCS games can no longer be considered a "gimmick."

It is now a legit college offense that keeps d-coordinators up at night.

Second of all, Harvin is a legit talent. If you don't think so, you haven't seen him play enough and certainly not in person.

I was at the Florida-LSU game this year and on the first series, Harvin made the play of the year IMO.

Harvin runs a go down the left sideline, Tebow lets it go, ball is slightly underthrown and the CB makes a great play on the ball, tipping it up, Harvin slowed up, reached behind himself, made the catch with one hand, immediately broke a tackle, two steps later he was back at full speed, juked out the saftey 20 yards down the field who had taken the perfect angle and ran in for six.

And this is also a guy they used to run between the tackles.

Harvin is the real deal my friends.

Oh, I let a lot of stuff go kid. The one thing I don't let go is someone mocking my military service...especially someone like you who has no clue.

Settle down now, fellas.

By the way, when the heck did this happen???

Oh, I let a lot of stuff go kid. The one thing I don't let go is someone mocking my military service...especially someone like you who has no clue.

Incorrect, I never once mocked your military service. Not once.

Rather, I mocked your need to bring it up in a conversation where it was wholly irrelevant.

If you want to talk about your service, I'd point you in this direction. If you want to debate a football, or any other topic that appears on this board, than I'm interested in that topic, and not your service.

Just to set the record straight.

Percy Harvin is unlike anyone that has ever played WR for the Florida Gators.

He could be the most talented player in the history of the school. He does everything. What people dont realize is that he has amazing route running ability.

We complain about WR's not getting seperation on the Jets. Percy will have no problem getting open...NONE.

He is a dynamic player. He is a Reggie Bush type player that actually wants to take a hit.

Imagine accounting for Percy Harvin in the slot and Leon Washington in the backfield.

I am not saying he is the right pick for the Jets, but if you think he is going to be another case of Florida WR's failures...you are mistaken.

This kid is one of the greatest athletes of our generation.

JiF, I've only seen Percy in a handful of games.

The impression I got--and how I've heard him described--is that he is a stronger, healthier Santana Moss.

Is that accurate, JiF?

Much more dynamic...IMO. Much stronger, not even close. I dont know if you watched any of the pregame stuff on his rehab, the kid is just a natural athlete. He is very strong and jacked at this time. Very similar body shape to Reggie Bush.

Look, I am biased. Percy is my favorite Gators player...EVER!!! The kid is just completely unstoppable. Plain and simple. But, I am not being a homer. I truly believe what I am saying about him.

From a WR standpoint, yes, he does remind me of Santana. He can get seperation, he makes great catches and his YAC is impressive to say the least. He makes people miss. He runs good routes, people dont know that about him. Very percise. He is Tim's go to guy on 3rd and long. Systems dont pick up first down's on 3rd long, players do.

From a dynamic stand point, he reminds me of Reggie. He can run the ball.

The difference between him, Reggie and Moss. Is that he will take the hit. He doesnt shy away and he doesnt run out of bounds.

If anyone can recall the long run toward the end of the Nat'l Champ game. He was on the sidelines, got a 60 yard run, could have easily just stepped out of bounds. Instead, he lowered his shoulder and took on that DB for no other reason than he likes contact. Thats the difference.

Thanks, JiF.

I like Percy. I'm not one who thinks having tall receivers is necessary. Catching the ball and being ellusive is more important to me than height, especially since the Jets have a pass-catching TE target in Keller.

Incorrect, I never once mocked your military service. Not once.

Rather, I mocked your need to bring it up in a conversation where it was wholly irrelevant.

If you want to talk about your service, I'd point you in this direction. If you want to debate a football, or any other topic that appears on this board, than I'm interested in that topic, and not your service.[/quote

There is a direct link between my passion for the Jets and Vietnam...if you don't get it (which it seems like you don't) I would appreciate it if you would not post lines like (and I'm paraphrasing)..."I figured you would bring up Vietnam about 5 posts earlier...how'd I do?"...that is mocking my service.

Just stay away from my military service...that's all I'm saying.

Anyone who's been following the Draft and Mel Kiper Jr over the years knows that his first couple mocks are mainly to draw attention. He places players in spots where he doesn't think that they'll actually go in order to draw attention to his draft and site. His mocks become more and more accurate as it gets closer to the actual draft.

I usually don't pay attention to those mock drafts, but it's undeniable that Kiper is a solid evaluator of talent.

Anyone show says NO to Harvin - I give you an OBAMA reply:

YES WE CAN!

The guy reminds me of Laverneaus Coles when he was coming out of school. Great hands, compact, tough, runs the ball well after catch. Maybe even faster and more explosive than coles though. But don't forget how fast coles was his first few years.

If we could get harvin - TAKE HIM.

Anyone show says NO to Harvin - I give you an OBAMA reply:

YES WE CAN!

The guy reminds me of Laverneaus Coles when he was coming out of school. Great hands, compact, tough, runs the ball well after catch. Maybe even faster and more explosive than coles though. But don't forget how fast coles was his first few years.

If we could get harvin - TAKE HIM.

does he also have coles mouth? 2 coles on 1 team, no thank you.

There is a direct link between my passion for the Jets and Vietnam...if you don't get it (which it seems like you don't) I would appreciate it if you would not post lines like (and I'm paraphrasing)..."I figured you would bring up Vietnam about 5 posts earlier...how'd I do?"...that is mocking my service.

Just stay away from my military service...that's all I'm saying.

And that's fine. It's hard for us to separate our passions some times.

And yes, I did say that, and it's intent, as I mentioned was to bring up the fact that you have a nact, IMO, for bringing your service (which I think I've proven I have 0 disrespect for), in debates where it's not relevant. In the context of a debate about English/Spanish in Florida, it's simply not relevant, and that's what I was talking about, I thought that was fairly evident then, and if not then, it should be now.

I can't debate Vietnam with you. I wasn't alive for it. Perhaps we could talk ideologically, but it doesn't really interest me to do so because it's far more personal for you than I.

And that's fine. It's hard for us to separate our passions some times.

And yes, I did say that, and it's intent, as I mentioned was to bring up the fact that you have a nact, IMO, for bringing your service (which I think I've proven I have 0 disrespect for), in debates where it's not relevant. In the context of a debate about English/Spanish in Florida, it's simply not relevant, and that's what I was talking about, I thought that was fairly evident then, and if not then, it should be now.

I can't debate Vietnam with you. I wasn't alive for it. Perhaps we could talk ideologically, but it doesn't really interest me to do so because it's far more personal for you than I.

And I who have lived in South Florida for almost 4 decades and have seen the switch over to a bilingual community and stated that you need an interpreter to get around in a lot of places...you disagreed because you have visited South Florida...I get it.

And you're right, you can't debate Vietnam...not just because you weren't born at the time, but most importantly, you weren't there.

Let me ask you this. You just came back from Israel. Let's just suppose, the Jets were in the SB while you were there and won. Then also suppose, a couple of close friends were killed during this time, do you think years later it would have a lasting effect on you? And every so often as the years went by, you wouldn't connect with that...especially leading up to SB games?

You guys do realize that Kiper's mocks are useless until the day before the draft. Every year he seems to put things that don't make sense in his early mocks I guess to spark controversy/discussion. Not that his final mock is great either but I think that's the one he tries to make the most realistic.

Archived