Ratliff

lancemehl

I don't know if Ratliff is even ready to seriously compete with Clemens yet. Developing an undrafted quarterback is a very long-term proposition.

lol, sometimes a qb drafted in the 1st round take a while too, lol. The draft is a crap shoot to a degree. And the worst thing in the world would be to hold a guy back from competing just based on his draft position.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bring bay Ray Lucas, Kliff Kingsbury, Brooks Bollinger, Rick Mirer, Tom Tupa, The CFL QB, that black kid from South Florida or one of those schools in FL we had, uhh... yeah!!! Bring them all back to compete with Brett Ratliff and Erik Ainge and the winner can still be named the ****tiest starting Quarterback in the NFL.

Last night, I entered year 2 of my Madden franchise and after Favre retired, I was ready to hand the team over to Clemens. On his first two dropbacks during the regular season, he threw a pick and lost a fumble that was returned for a TD by Marcus Stroud. I pulled him for Ratliff and don't intend to look back.

Just sayin'...

How could anybody see what Ratliff did in preseason last year and say, "No, don't want him"

Did he at least not spark interest? Do we at least not want to see him play against first stringers?

Help me here.

If a player shines in college, where he is clearly the best player on the field, we want to draft him first round, but if a player shines against other PROFESSIONALS who are equal in talent (all third stringers) we say, " ahhh, he only played against third stringers"

Logic,please,someone, help, idiot i must be.

I would rather see a guy who played like Joe Montana against Professional thirdstringers in a pre-season NFL game, than a guy who played like Joe Montana at Boise ST. Is it me?

- Vanilla Defenses / Lack of a Gameplan against Ratliff

Entering last preseason, Brett Ratliff was pretty much a complete unknown, nobody outside of the Jets really knew what he had to offer so teams couldn't scheme much against him. Nevermind that teams rarely do much scheming in preseason anyways, preseason games are generally just line up and play and let the best athletes win, especially when it comes to the backups.

- Ridiculously Small Sample Size.

College "Star" QBs generally have at least 2 years of experience under the belt, minimum (Unless their Mark Sanchez). That's something like 26 games of film to go off of. Around 39 games if they're a 3 year starter, around 52 games if they're a 4 year starter.

Preseason "Star" QBs generally have about 6 Quarters worth of data to go off of.

- 3rd Stringers isn't exactly the cream of the crop talent to face.

One could make an argument that some of the more stocked NCAA teams like Florida or USC are a more talented opponent with many future 1st round picks on the roster. You don't face a Brandon Spikes or a Ray Maualuga against NFL 3rd Stringers.

That's not to say Ratliff will be an awful QB or anything of the sort, but you have to put his preseason performance into perspective.

Last night, I entered year 2 of my Madden franchise and after Favre retired, I was ready to hand the team over to Clemens. On his first two dropbacks during the regular season, he threw a pick and lost a fumble that was returned for a TD by Marcus Stroud. I pulled him for Ratliff and don't intend to look back.

Just sayin'...

Madden is all knowing. ;)

I don't know if Ratliff is even ready to seriously compete with Clemens yet. Developing an undrafted quarterback is a very long-term proposition.

Good question and it definately is a long-term proposition. BUT, this is Ratliff's 3d year with the team and 3rd under the same system. Undrafted QBs who become starters usually follow that route (same team/same system) before making the leap.

Just off the top of my head, there is Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, and Jake Delhomme. These are the exceptions, not the rule, but they are examples of it being done.

Yes, it is definately a long shot, but we're not talking about a QB the Jets just signed off the street. Ratliff has been here.

Good question and it definately is a long-term proposition. BUT, this is Ratliff's 3d year with the team and 3rd under the same system. Undrafted QBs who become starters usually follow that route (same team/same system) before making the leap.

Just off the top of my head, there is Jeff Garcia, Tony Romo, and Jake Delhomme. These are the exceptions, not the rule, but they are examples of it being done.

Yes, it is definately a long shot, but we're not talking about a QB the Jets just signed off the street. Ratliff has been here.

It's a long shot for Ratliff to make it at all, exponentially more so for him to do so this soon. The guys you named weren't NFL starters three years out of school. Romo was the relative overnight success at four years in. It's early yet for Ratliff.

How could anybody see what Ratliff did in preseason last year and say, "No, don't want him"

Did he at least not spark interest? Do we at least not want to see him play against first stringers?

Help me here.

If a player shines in college, where he is clearly the best player on the field, we want to draft him first round, but if a player shines against other PROFESSIONALS who are equal in talent (all third stringers) we say, " ahhh, he only played against third stringers"

Logic,please,someone, help, idiot i must be.

I would rather see a guy who played like Joe Montana against Professional thirdstringers in a pre-season NFL game, than a guy who played like Joe Montana at Boise ST. Is it me?

I think you answered your question right there.

Ratliff had some nice performances but I can't get overly excited due to the dreadfully bad level of competition it was against.

A real NFL defense would have eaten him alive.

He telegraphed passes, stared down receivers, held the ball too long.

He has some talent and is worth keeping around but there is a reason he was undrafted. I'm all for him succeeding and would be thrilled if he turned into another Kurt Warner but I'm not getting my hopes up because I just don't see it happening.

He has some talent and is worth keeping around but there is a reason he was undrafted. I'm all for him succeeding and would be thrilled if he turned into another Kurt Warner but I'm not getting my hopes up because I just don't see it happening.

Of course not. You never see it coming with these guys. All any of them had done by this point was to stick with an NFL team for two years and some, like Garcia, hadn't even done that. Ratliff has. The concern shouldn't be with what little he's shown us but with the likelihood that the person responsible for keeping him around to date is a big fat idiot.

I'm hoping Ratliff wins the job and my reasoning is the dumbest of all. Nothing to do with qualifications or anything like that. I said it last off season...it's just a gut feeling I have with this kid. Most recently, I never had that feeling for Chad or Kellen...I hope I'm right. The most important position on our team has a big ? and that's not a comfortable feeling at all.

from Mel Kiper chat on ESPN.com 1/28/09

froadam (nyc):: chances rex ryan brings ray lewis to the jets? and if not do we still draft a reciever first round given ryans defensive mentality?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: I can't see Ray going anywhere. He now becomes the leader down there. I thought Bill Cowher might get that Jets job. The Jets went after Rex Ryan. He's a tremendous motivator. He's been around Brian Billick and John Harbaugh. He puts his players in position to be successful. If Vernon Gholston isn't a big time player for Rex Ryan, then he won't for anybody. We'll know whether Gholston was a true bust or a boom. Brett Ratliff is a guy undrafted out of Utah that has shown a lot of promise. He's the kind of sleeper QB. I think they feel internally about is Brett Ratliff. He showed really well in the preseason. Seems to have the intuitiveness. He's one of hte sleepers in that organization.

SportsNation Mel Kiper: I have them taking Percy Harvin, a jack of all trades on offense.m Mel Kipers draft notes....

Archived