Ratliff

lancemehl

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jake will be at Dell"Home" this coming season after that dump he took in the playoffs... he is not Chad... only Chad can pull of that ****ty performance and sucker his way back in... lol

not only can chad pull it off...he can pull it off more than once and the teams' fans will defend him tooth and nail to the bitter end and love him for it. just look at those stupid dolphag fans.....they're lining up to swallow his di*k gravy after the turd he layed, yet again, in the play-offs.

i hope that they give ratliff a shot in camp....i see a lot of potential in him.

he has great size (6-4, 235)...even better size than clemens (who is 2 inches shorter).

he has a great arm, as seen in the preseason and on NFL draft sites.

he needs to work on his fundamentals, but i'm assuming that he has been doing that with us considering that he actually made the team.

most importantly, he has a great attitude. he says all the right things, and he's been working hard. i hope he is the ONE.

i hope that they give ratliff a shot in camp....i see a lot of potential in him.

he has great size (6-4, 235)...even better size than clemens (who is 2 inches shorter).

he needs to work on his fundamentals, but i'm assuming that he has been doing that with us considering that he actually made the team.

most importantly, he has a great attitude. he says all the right things, and he's been working hard. i hope he is the ONE.

+1

We don't know what we have in Ratliff, but so far he's passed whatever has been put in front of him. It's stupid to claim he's already earned the job and it's stupid to dismiss him because it's only preseason. You don't assign a negative to a guy just because he hasn't had the opportunity to do it against a real defense. You expect a guy to excel in the pre-season if he's going to get a shot. Ratliff did. That's a plus no matter how you try to spin it.

Point being this: stop trying to make definitive statements one way or the other. We just have to wait and see.

Clemens was not a high 2nd rounder. He was the 17th player taken in the round. We had a high 2nd rounder (the 3rd pick in that round) and traded down rather than drafting Clemens there, picking up Washington's 2nd round pick from the following season in the process.

What I think most agree on - though some curiously don't - is that it should be enough that EITHER one of these guys works out. I would not be so picky as to be upset because of liking Ratliff better than Clemens (or Clemens better than Ratliff) months before the team's first OTA of the upcoming season.

Who gives a crap? As long as someone wins a good competition, rather than winning simply ecause the other guy was just so awful, I'll be happier with whichever one it ends up being.

Ah, i stand corrected, forgot about the trade.

Totally agree, in the end i want the best guy on the field. And I am fine with competition, i just don't want a competition going on for the first 6 games of the regular season. We are not the lions or rams, i truly believe we are built to win right now, we don't have the kind of team that can afford to forgo half a season to find out if someone we already gave a chance to has the ability when given better players.

yeah me too.......how nice would it be to have a young franchise qb on the team? we'd be set for the next 10 years at qb.......

lol, joey, go to nfl.com and look at the game summary for our first preseason game before you ask that, don't you remember Favre sitting on the sideline that game in his grey tshirt and cargo shorts playing catch? I think Ratliff had like 350 yards as the second string qb, maybe more yardage than KC had in all his preseason games in his nfl career combined, lol.

Kellen Clemens 2007 preseason:

41 att 30 comp 364 yds 4 td 2 int 112.2 rating

Ratliff's 2008 preseason:

47 att 32 comp 499 yds 4 td 1 int 122.6 rating

Not a world of difference. Clemens did his work with a team that went 4-12. Ratliff did his with an underachieving 9-7 team. I came away from his performance more intrigued with David Clowney than anyone else. We certainly didn't have anyone like him in '07.

I'd expect the staff to put them on a level playing field, and make a decision about them. Their previous preseason exploits won't come into play.

just wondering, when was the last time we had a franchise qb that had no setbacks, i.e. Chad?

well when i started wastching football we had a guy named o'brien who looked to be the real deal. and except for vinterception's one abberation in 1998 we haven't had a better qb since.

We also cannot forget that Clemens is an UFA after 2009.

Capwise, it would be best for Ratliff to win the job outright because if Clemens won it the Jets would be in a Derek Anderson situation: either franchise him or sign him to a big money deal based on a small body of work.

How could anybody see what Ratliff did in preseason last year and say, "No, don't want him"

Did he at least not spark interest? Do we at least not want to see him play against first stringers?

Help me here.

If a player shines in college, where he is clearly the best player on the field, we want to draft him first round, but if a player shines against other PROFESSIONALS who are equal in talent (all third stringers) we say, " ahhh, he only played against third stringers"

Logic,please,someone, help, idiot i must be.

I would rather see a guy who played like Joe Montana against Professional thirdstringers in a pre-season NFL game, than a guy who played like Joe Montana at Boise ST. Is it me?

Playing against guys that are most likely currently bagging grocheries is not a barometer in which you can measure success.

We use the same logic that the coaches in this league us, if it was that easy than Brett along with guys like Colt Brennan would have a shot to start a couple of games this year.

Playing against guys that are most likely currently bagging grocheries is not a barometer in which you can measure success.

We use the same logic that the coaches in this league us, if it was that easy than Brett along with guys like Colt Brennan would have a shot to start a couple of games this year.

i don't get this logic either. guys who make it to preseason are still an upgrade in talent to what these guys faced in college, for the most part. and you want to see them succeed hen they're put i9n....which ratliff did. it's like minor league baseball. you put a guy in AA you want to see him suceed. does it mean he's gonna be an all-star player, or even a decent major leaguer becasue he's dominating against guys who will most likely never make it in the majors? no.....but it's part of the process. he went in and played well......he's earned another look.

Kellen Clemens 2007 preseason:

41 att 30 comp 364 yds 4 td 2 int 112.2 rating

Ratliff's 2008 preseason:

47 att 32 comp 499 yds 4 td 1 int 122.6 rating

/end thread

he's earned another look.

Of course he's earned another look; no one can reasonably argue otherwise. The problem is that some people seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that he's our next starting QB.

and who would that be?

The following:

IMO, Ratliff, earned a shot at the next level, if not, can preseason altogether.

I am very confident that if Favre is not on the jets next year and we do not trade or draft for a qb that Ratliff gets the spot...I assume Rex will be completely unbiased and Ratliff will win out.

BINGO!

BTW, that 2nd round pick vs. UFA means crap now. here's what REX sees:

Clemens: 2 inches shorter, 20 pounds lighter, sucked to mediocre EVERY single time he stepped on the field.

Ratliff- Excellent size, played great EVERYTIME he stepped on the field, even against 2nd stringers, where he threw for 350.

You take away that 2nd round ego thing and Clemens looks very Bollinger-like.

If clemens started 07 from day one, i bet my life Ratliff would've been playing by week 8!

The problem is that both sides overstate their case. Some people downplay his performance in preseason--that's not right, because he clearly has the size and the tools. Others put him in their sig and proclaim that he'll win any QB competition--that's not right either, because who knows how he'll perform against real defenses.

I think the vast majority of people here are in agreement on the best solution: hold a QB competition, and may the best man win. But unfortunately, as with many issues in life, it's people on the far ends of the spectrum whose voices are loudest--after all, we had two different Ratliff threads yesterday, one for Ratliff and one against IIRC.

The following:

The problem is that both sides overstate their case. Some people downplay his performance in preseason--that's not right, because he clearly has the size and the tools. Others put him in their sig and proclaim that he'll win any QB competition--that's not right either, because who knows how he'll perform against real defenses.

I think the vast majority of people here are in agreement on the best solution: hold a QB competition, and may the best man win. But unfortunately, as with many issues in life, it's people on the far ends of the spectrum whose voices are loudest--after all, we had two different Ratliff threads yesterday, one for Ratliff and one against IIRC.

My exact sentiments. It sucks and it is uncertain, but we just have to wait it out.

Of course he's earned another look; no one can reasonably argue otherwise. The problem is that some people seem to think it's a foregone conclusion that he's our next starting QB.

well i'm on record as saying that we shoudl either draft a qb early or bring in a vet or a guy like quinn(even though i doubt he's available) to compete. but i would like to see an open competition no matter who we bring in....barring getting a guy like warner. which won't happen anyway

well I would like him to win. But whoever fits the bill, I'm gonna cheer them on since their representing our NY Jets. I just happen to like Ratliff more at the moment. :D

If Ratliff wins the job, ill keep my sig. If not, ill change it.

Nothing wrong with that, but lets be honest, you made it too easy. I couldn't help myself.

I'm in a similar boat, although I don't have a real preference. I just hope that 1, 2 or even all 3 of Clemens, Ratliff and Ainge can turn out to be a legitimate starting QB for the NY Jets. If that happens, I don't care who it is and whether I was right or wrong, I will be absolutely psyched.

2008 - 16 games - 15 TD's 12 INT's

and that playoff game...

He did bad all year... not one game...

Fact, Jake Delhomme produces "Better" after he is intercepted. In otherwords, he's a QB that can bounce back from turnovers.

Also, his 15TD's and 12INT's this year got his team a first round bye in the playoffs, Brett Favres 20TD's and I believe 22INTs got us a seat in front of the TV.

Granted, this is one year, however, Jake seems to be the QB for the Panthers every year and it also seems like they're always a Team going to the playoffs and one time making the superbowl and almost winning.

You CANNOT take away his body of work. Why cant that simply be respected?

Archived