Does all this make Pedro the GOAT?

Matt39

Nobody in history had a more dominant run through the league in their prime.

Hopefully that'll finally become universally accepted, because Pedro seriously had very little advantages against hitters beyond the ones he made himself.

And TBH, we'll never know everyone that did roids back in the day. Pedro's not a non-suspect, and honestly neither is Rivera...or Jeter...or anyone else for that matter.

Hopefully that'll finally become universally accepted, because Pedro seriously had very little advantages against hitters beyond the ones he made himself.

And TBH, we'll never know everyone that did roids back in the day. Pedro's not a non-suspect, and honestly neither is Rivera...or Jeter...or anyone else for that matter.[/quote]

True. I am reading a book now on the 86 Mets seasons and 1/2 the team was taking speed on a daily basis. Choir boys like Gary Carter are even mentioned as taking it at times.

And TBH, we'll never know everyone that did roids back in the day. Pedro's not a non-suspect, and honestly neither is Rivera...or Jeter...or anyone else for that matter.

Very true.

I'll side with the great Red Sox fan Peter Gammons on this one who annointed Mo Rivera as the GOAT after it was clear that Bonds was guilty of steroid use. That is of course, until we find out the Mo and every other player in MLB has been on some type of roid/performance enhancer over the past 20 or so years. In which case I guess he'd be the best of a bunch of juiced up players.

Even without knowing the players were juicing, Pedro is the GOAT (as far as pitchers) IMO. Walter Johnson is the only guy you could even argue as far as I'm concerned.

Pedro has the highest career ERA+ (154) for a starting pitcher and the highest single-season mark in the modern era (291) in 2000 - a season in which his ERA (1.74) was over 3 runs better than the league average (5.07).

What does Babe Ruth have to do with best pitching prime?

He was a really good pitcher.

Pitchers I'd put above Pedro career wise is pretty long.

You know what pitcher is really underrated as far as historical rankings concerned? Randy Johnson. From '92 to '02 the lowest ERA+ he put up was a 135 in '95. I think one day people will call him the best LH pitcher in history, or at least the most dominant.

'All this' in the original post is an obvious reference to ARod and your post mentioned Jeter. But sure, now that you restrict it to pitchers, I'll vote for Pedro.

He was a really good pitcher.

Pitchers I'd put above Pedro career wise is pretty long.

You know what pitcher is really underrated as far as historical rankings concerned? Randy Johnson. From '92 to '02 the lowest ERA+ he put up was a 135 in '95. I think one day people will call him the best LH pitcher in history, or at least the most dominant.

RJ had almost 400 strikeouts in a season once. That's not even video game numbers...you can't even do that in a video game.

Archived