Sanchez to meet with Jets; REPORT: Freeman unlikely at 17 ~ PFT.com

:Typotux:

SANCHEZ TO MEET WITH THREE TEAMS

Posted by Sheil Kapadia on March 22, 2009, 9:21 a.m.

Some of the teams being mentioned in connection with Jay Cutler will also be examining another quarterback option this week.

USC

The fact that PFT's source for the second piece is Cimini makes me instantly skeptical.

I'll take any good news where I can get it..

If they draft Freeman at 17 I'll puke. I normally love physically gifted QB's, but it's pretty clear that this guy is nowhere's near mentally ready to play pro ball, and I really believe we need to have a successful season this year else we are danger of falling into an abyss here...

If they draft Freeman at 17 I'll puke. I normally love physically gifted QB's, but it's pretty clear that this guy is nowhere's near mentally ready to play pro ball, and I really believe we need to have a successful season this year else we are danger of falling into an abyss here...

Freeman looks like a quarterback. That's not really worth anything, but it still puts him one up on Sanchez.

I will lose a lot of faith in this regime if we draft Mark ****ing Sanchez.

Sanchez might be what we're looking for. He has a good arm not great so he won't force throws like cutler and freeman would. I think regardless of who is at qb this is going to be a run first offense.

Sanchez might be what we're looking for. He has a good arm not great so he won't force throws like cutler and freeman would. I think regardless of who is at qb this is going to be a run first offense.

He is a junior that started for one college season.

His chances of pro success are slim to none.

Jeez, you can't just rule the guy out already. Maybe let him throw a pass before you guys confirm him as a bust?

Another big school, big name QB getting too much hype... if he played for a small school he goes un-drafted...

Another big school, big name QB getting too much hype... if he played for a small school he goes un-drafted...

You really think NFL scouts are THAT stupid? That they'd draft a guy in the first round to be their franchise QB based simply on hype?

If he gets drafted in the first round, then there's a good reason. You can't rule him out already.

You really think NFL scouts are THAT stupid? That they'd draft a guy in the first round to be their franchise QB based simply on hype?

If he gets drafted in the first round, then there's a good reason. You can't rule him out already.

Your gonna claim that the 1st rounders aren't mostly hype?

Sure there are some sure fire studs mixed in... but lets be serious... Reggie Bush/Gholston/Young/ the list is a mile long of over-hyped players... sure they have talent... but everyone in the first day does...

YES

vince%20young.jpg

YES

vince%20young.jpg

Look I'm not saying that players aren't overhyped but it's easy to say in hindsight why these guys have failed. At the time they looked like pretty good prospects.

I still don't doubt that Vince Young had some talent, he just didn't develop his accuracy and happened to be as dumb as a bag of rocks. There was still a good reason for him going high.

The likes of Gholston, Bush as well of Young all had great measurales physically and great production in college to back it up, they were not drafted purely on hype.

Look I'm not saying that players aren't overhyped but it's easy to say in hindsight why these guys have failed. At the time they looked like pretty good prospects.

I still don't doubt that Vince Young had some talent, he just didn't develop his accuracy and happened to be as dumb as a bag of rocks. There was still a good reason for him going high.

The likes of Gholston, Bush as well of Young all had great measurales physically and great production in college to back it up, they were not drafted purely on hype.

Vince Young looked like a pretty ****ty prospect to me. Dumb as a rock with a weird throwing motion. He was PURE hype.

Now of course these guys have talent and some might be good players... but it does not change the fact that hype got them drafted where they did... not skill...

I missed a lot of guys too... this is only going back to 04' just picking the ones that stood out as being picked higher than they should have been because of hype

McFadden

Gholston

Russell

Ginn Jr. (lol)

Quinn

Olsen

Bush

Young

V Davis

A Smith

C Benson

Mike Williams

Matt Jones

Roy Williams

Deangelo Hall

JP Losman

Ahmad Carrol

Rashaun Woods

They were drafted in the 1st round because of hype and exposure... you cannot deny that...

If VY went to a small school and never had the national spotlight on him like he did... we never hear of the guy...

As recently as a few days ago, I would have agreed 100% with you, but I've softened to agreeing about 75% or so.

I've watched some more videos of Freeman, and he's better at going through his reads than I thought. And it's not a surprise that he had an inconsistent year, since his OL was absolutely horrific and the only halfway decent receiver on the team last year (Jordy Nelson) was drafted--not a coincidence that his accuracy was not only better last season, but also more consistent with Nelson around. IIRC, his #1 receiver this year was listed as 5'9" and around 170.

That's not an endorsement of Freeman--he has way too many question marks for us to take him at 17. But if he starts dropping toward the end of the 1st, I wouldn't be totally opposed to trading back up for him.

Plus, let's face facts: what are the chances that Clemens, Ratliff, or Ainge turn out to be a franchise QB? Be honest. I'd put it at 10% that one of the three develops into a long-term franchise starter. That's not a reason for the FO to draft Freeman if they aren't totally sold on him, it's just food for thought.

They were drafted in the 1st round because of hype and exposure... you cannot deny that...

If VY went to a small school and never had the national spotlight on him like he did... we never hear of the guy...

There's a reason these guys play and for the most part star for the top schools.

Look, Vince Youngs production in college (Same applies to Bush, Gholston and a lot of other prospects you listed) ALONE removes credibility from the arguement that they were pure hype. At the very least they were good college players.

Obviously that doesn't justify taking them but like I said before NFL scouts aren't stupid, jus because you can predict a bust or two doesn't mean there wasn't a good reason to be drafted. Young had a lot of issues which everyone knew about. BUT his mobility/escapability in the pocket and his pure speed alone had scouts faling in love with him. He didn't need to develop into a great passer to become a great QB, just an adequate one. That never happened and thus, he busted, well at least it looks that way now. Just because a player busts doesn't mean he didn't have talent.

That's just it though. He plays for a big school, that played other big schools. He played in a bowl game and looked fantastic. Does this mean he's going to be a good nfl qb? I don't know. But, the kid has pose in the pocket, makes good decisions, has great footwork, and a good arm. Those componenets make for a good qb at any level. I think he might do well for this team based on the fact that we will probably be a run first team anyways.

Which leads me to believe we won't be just fine with Clemens or Brett 2.0

As recently as a few days ago, I would have agreed 100% with you, but I've softened to agreeing about 75% or so.

I've watched some more videos of Freeman, and he's better at going through his reads than I thought. And it's not a surprise that he had an inconsistent year, since his OL was absolutely horrific and the only halfway decent receiver on the team last year (Jordy Nelson) was drafted--not a coincidence that his accuracy was not only better last season, but also more consistent with Nelson around. IIRC, his #1 receiver this year was listed as 5'9" and around 170.

That's not an endorsement of Freeman--he has way too many question marks for us to take him at 17. But if he starts dropping toward the end of the 1st, I wouldn't be totally opposed to trading back up for him.

Plus, let's face facts: what are the chances that Clemens, Ratliff, or Ainge turn out to be a franchise QB? Be honest. I'd put it at 10% that one of the three develops into a long-term franchise starter. That's not a reason for the FO to draft Freeman if they aren't totally sold on him, it's just food for thought.

Meh, I'd rather draft players that can help this year with our 1 and 2. I'm not predicting failure for Freeman or anything, I just think he'll need to bake some more before he's ready for primetime. None of which helps us this year..

Oh, and link to the vids?

Meh, I'd rather draft players that can help this year with our 1 and 2. I'm not predicting failure for Freeman or anything, I just think he'll need to bake some more before he's ready for primetime. None of which helps us this year..

I'm with you on that. But keep in mind Freeman started 32 games in a pro-style offense; and his mechanics and footwork are pretty good...so he may not need to sit as long as people think. The question is, was his erratic accuracy due to a bad supporting cast, or to some basic flaw with Freeman?

Overall I get your point though--I'd rather have someone who can start day 1 and make a difference.

Oh, and link to the vids?

Damn you. I figured that was coming. If you Google "Josh Freeman videos" you'll find a bunch, but here's one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoDjfUS7YH0

Not exactly flying through his reads, but if you watch it in high quality and fullscreen it, you'll see him move through his progressions. That doesn't mean he's a good QB, it just answers some of my earlier questions about bird-dogging WRs.

God, I'm defending Josh Freeman. Hell of a day.

I'm with you on that. But keep in mind Freeman started 32 games in a pro-style offense; and his mechanics and footwork are pretty good...so he may not need to sit as long as people think. The question is, was his erratic accuracy due to a bad supporting cast, or to some basic flaw with Freeman?

Overall I get your point though--I'd rather have someone who can start day 1 and make a difference.

Damn you. I figured that was coming. If you Google "Josh Freeman videos" you'll find a bunch, but here's one:

Not exactly flying through his reads, but if you watch it in high quality and fullscreen it, you'll see him move through his progressions. That doesn't mean he's a good QB, it just answers some of my earlier questions about bird-dogging WRs.

I wont lie. I havent been big on this guy, but that video reminded me a lot of Big Ben. He seems to have very similar game. And you could see him make his progressions. And some of his footwork was impressive.

That video was pretty promisiing...but that was only a few plays.

I wont lie. I havent been big on this guy, but that video reminded me a lot of Big Ben. He seems to have very similar game. And you could see him make his progressions. And some of his footwork was impressive.

That video was pretty promisiing...but that was only a few plays.

A poor man's Big Ben, but yeah, you can definitely see why scouts are getting mancrust for him.

But he has other games that are horrific. I'd love to see footage of K-State's game against Nebraska, in which Freeman posted the following gem: 7-18 (38.9%), 114 yards, 1 TD. I mean, which one is the real Josh Freeman? How much of his erratic play is due to a crappy supporting cast, and how much is due to his own crappy play?

Thanks for the vids. I actually just found this one which looks more like the Josh freeman I know ;) Also has some Sanchez and Stafford content..

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e98d6e

Thanks for the vids. I actually just found this one which looks more like the Josh freeman I know ;) Also has some Sanchez and Stafford content..

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e98d6e

Ah, nice vid.

Freeman is definitely boom-or-bust. I'd like to hear more in-depth analysis from Mayock, he knows his stuff. For what it's worth, McShay thinks Freeman will be a better pro than college QB. That's not worth much to me because McShay is a tool, but what can you do.

The tools are certainly there, and I still can't figure out if those bad throws are just sheer inaccuracy or if he's trying to make something happen...the lack of timing is scary, but maybe a good QB coach can get something out of him? Who knows.

Ah, nice vid.

Freeman is definitely boom-or-bust. I'd like to hear more in-depth analysis from Mayock, he knows his stuff. For what it's worth, McShay thinks Freeman will be a better pro than college QB. That's not worth much to me because McShay is a tool, but what can you do.

The tools are certainly there, and I still can't figure out if those bad throws are just sheer inaccuracy or if he's trying to make something happen...the lack of timing is scary, but maybe a good QB coach can get something out of him? Who knows.

Anticipation is his problem. That's the one thing the noodle arm has going for him. Guys with strong arm's can compensate for poor anticipation, but it's not a good mixture when you are also inaccurate..

And yes, I agree about Mayock. Best of the talking heads by far..

Archived