Swine Flu original carrier traced back to NYC man

Ranger

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Look at the precautions they are taking at my alma mater. This is ridiculous!

Fear of swine flu nixes Northeastern graduation handshakes April 30, 2009 02:24 PM By Tracy Jan, Globe Staff

Northeastern University plans to ask its roughly 4,500 graduates to forgo the traditional handshake as they collect their diplomas during Friday's commencement ceremonies to prevent spread of swine flu.

University officials made the decision this morning in consultation with Boston

Look at the precautions they are taking at my alma mater. This is ridiculous!

Fear of swine flu nixes Northeastern graduation handshakes April 30, 2009 02:24 PM By Tracy Jan, Globe Staff

Northeastern University plans to ask its roughly 4,500 graduates to forgo the traditional handshake as they collect their diplomas during Friday's commencement ceremonies to prevent spread of swine flu.

University officials made the decision this morning in consultation with Boston

jack-d-ripper-from-dr-strangelove%282%29.jpg

The Swine Flu is nothing more than a vast communist conspiracy, to sap and impurify, all of our precious bodily fluids.

We had a guy on the radio today, blaming the US government, claiming they used captive Iraqi biowarfare experts to weaponise the flu by genetically modifying it to wipe out Mexicans to stop illegal immigration. Where the hell do they dig up these people?

:Irate:

We had a guy on the radio today, blaming the US government, claiming they used captive Iraqi biowarfare experts to weaponise the flu by genetically modifying it to wipe out Mexicans to stop illegal immigration. Where the hell do they dig up these people?

I wish the US govt was smart enough to do this.

kentucky and west virginia.....mostly.

Here's what son's school has told us. Wash your hands. Cover your mouth when you cough. Keep your bedsheets and clothing clean.

And should you become infected, see your doctor to verify it , get prescriptions for either antibiotics or tamiflu, get plenty of rest, sleep and fluids. This is a relatively mild virus, though it could theoretically get worse if it mutuated. But so far it hasn't. For the most part it's a bad cold-fever, sore throat, and intestinal "discomfort" which can readily be addressed with immodium and fluids like Pedalite and Gatorade.

I'm signficantly more relaxed because the incubation period is 24-48 hours and the infected kids were at the school since last week. And all of the infected kids are recovering with minimal problems spare the usual sore throat and trips to the toilet.

Here's what son's school has told us. Wash your hands. Cover your mouth when you cough. Keep your bedsheets and clothing clean.

And should you become infected, see your doctor to verify it , get prescriptions for either antibiotics or tamiflu, get plenty of rest, sleep and fluids. This is a relatively mild virus, though it could theoretically get worse if it mutuated. But so far it hasn't. For the most part it's a bad cold-fever, sore throat, and intestinal "discomfort" which can readily be addressed with immodium and fluids like Pedalite and Gatorade.

I'm signficantly more relaxed because the incubation period is 24-48 hours and the infected kids were at the school since last week. And all of the infected kids are recovering with minimal problems spare the usual sore throat and trips to the toilet.

Thats good news. We still need to shut down the nation for this?

Basically, be smart, and you'll probably be fine. Avoid sick, sneezing people. Wash your hands before each meal and when you return from work in the evening...Should be fine.

A few comments for your son's school:

1. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze, but not with your hand. Use the crook of the arm or side of the shoulder. Once you cough or sneeze into your hand--unless you wash it--everything you touch with it will now harbor the germs, and possibly spread to others. For the most part, schools have done a horrible job of teaching this method, and basic hygiene in general, to our kids.

2. Antibiotics are for bacterial infections. They do nothing for viral infections like the flu. If you even suspect the flu, get to your doctor within the 24-48 hour window to get antivirals like Tamiflu or Relenza.

Good luck. Though it sounds like you have nothing to worry about.

These posters are all over my building now - hallways, bathrooms, cafeteria...

CoverCgh-hcp-view.gif

We've had these in my office for the past year or so. It has nothing to do with a virus or anything, but is very useful in helping teach the "educated nitwits" that work here some basic hygiene.

I'm on board with handwashing. The tissue/mask stuff is a joke.

If you cough into a tissue, you just coughed into your hand. There are viruses small enough they can pass through PORCELAIN. (google "tobacco virus porcelain filter")

Use the surgical mask only if it makes you look cool. The mask can stop 100% of ugly, but it can't stop a virus. (same reason as above).

There are established standards (N95 / N100) that a mask must meet to filter a flu virus, and compliant masks are

-hard to find

-only about 90% effective, and must be worn properly to get even that.

We've had these in my office for the past year or so. It has nothing to do with a virus or anything, but is very useful in helping teach the "educated nitwits" that work here some basic hygiene.

I agree. We've had a few hear and there, but now they're everywhere, along with Purell dispensers on the walls.

Archived