Swine Flu original carrier traced back to NYC man

Ranger

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is getting serious.

My son's school, Good Shepherd, In Marine Park, Brooklyn, is closed until at least Monday. Apparently one child in his grade but not his class has the flu-like symptoms. 1 other 7th grader has similar symptoms, and that child's sibling either went on the St. Francis Prep trip or attended some other spring break trip to Mexico. 2 other children who are good friends of that child may also be infected. Another school in Brooklyn is also closed.

I expect by the end of today that number will grow dramatically.

My understanding is that people riding NYC subways are wearing masks. The school will be sanitized and fumigated before the Health Department will allow it to reopen.

My son is fine. His little league game this evening is in jeopardy, as are all gatherings at his school and the local parish. Still the phone calls and emails my wife and I and other parents received were jarring and disturbing. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Plain and simple, we have to limit and localize this now. Close the border with Mexico. Cancel all flights and cruises. It may take more radical measures, but those first steps have to be taken NOW. Treat people here as best we can, quarantining if necessary, and offer the Mexican government all the help we can. But this has to be contained and localized or it's going to get very ugly and very deadly very quickly.

At least one infant in Texas has died, that is officially confirmed. If the government won't step in soon that number will grow.

This is getting serious.

My son's school, Good Shepherd, In Marine Park, Brooklyn, is closed until at least Monday. Apparently one child in his grade but not his class has the flu-like symptoms. 1 other 7th grader has similar symptoms, and that child's sibling either went on the St. Francis Prep trip or attended some other spring break trip to Mexico. 2 other children who are good friends of that child may also be infected. Another school in Brooklyn is also closed.

My understanding is that people riding NYC subways are wearing masks. The school will be sanitized and fumigated before the Health Department will allow it to reopen.

My son is fine. His little league game this evening is in jeopardy, as are all gatherings at his school and the local parish. Still the phone calls and emails my wife and I and other parents received were jarring and disturbing. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

Plain and simple, we have to limit and localize this now. Close the border with Mexico. Cancel all flights and cruises. It may take more radical measures, but those first steps have to be taken NOW. Treat people here as best we can, quarantining if necessary, and offer the Mexican government all the help we can. But this has to be contained and localized or it's going to get very ugly and very deadly very quickly.

At least one infant in Texas has died, that is officially confirmed. If the government won't step in soon that number will grow.

Yikes. Have to agree, this needs to be handle and handled quickly. Happy your boy is ok, and prayers to the other family.

This is getting serious.

Are you nuts....17,000 died from the regular flu last year and you didn't hear a peep out of anyone. This is just another scare.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

People.....I know it's hard.....but *THINK*.

This "swine" flu, which has nothing to do with swine, is WEAKER than the regular flu already going around.

The link above (which you won't click on, but I try) is the CDC's weekly statistics on "general" influenza in the USA. 55 pedatric deaths this week alone!!!

I repeat: REGULAR influenza has caused 55 pediatric deaths in the US this week alone, and 11 of them are in the middle atlantic.

http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/

People.....I know it's hard.....but *THINK*.

This "swine" flu, which has nothing to do with swine, is WEAKER than the regular flu already going around.

The link above (which you won't click on, but I try) is the CDC's weekly statistics on "general" influenza in the USA. 55 pedatric deaths this week alone!!!

I repeat: REGULAR influenza has caused 55 pediatric deaths in the US this week alone, and 11 of them are in the middle atlantic.

panic%21at.teh.dsskcorp.gif

This is getting serious.

Get outta here. If we do that everytime a new ailment starts to go around we mine as well just stay in our homes and never leave our whole lives. I understand its bad, but its not like we're talking about the farking plague here. To panic and take such drastic measures over 1 INFANT death is borderline insanity....In fact, it wouldnt even be borderline.

By the way, just got this from the CDC website:

The symptoms of swine flu in people are similar to the symptoms of regular human flu and include fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and fatigue. Some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting associated with swine flu. In the past, severe illness (pneumonia and respiratory failure) and deaths have been reported with swine flu infection in people. Like seasonal flu, swine flu may cause a worsening of underlying chronic medical conditions.

Are we about to quarantine everyone with the regular flu? No. Why would we ever take such drastic actions for a virus that is only different because "Swine" is added to the beginning?

I know this is in many ways media-driven, and in fact even those infected (and at least one of my son's schoolmates is confirmed) are expected to recover with no long term effects with antibiotics, much the same as any kid would with strep. The one child that was killed, when you read the 5th paragrpah of the story, was from Mexico for treatment and too late. Still the phone call we got today was kinda scary. And if we know that the virus' locus is Mexico still think we aren't taking prudent precautions.

I know this is in many ways media-driven, and in fact even those infected (and at least one of my son's schollmates is confirmed) are expected to recover with no long term effects with antibiotics much the same as any kids would with strep. The one child that was killed, when you read the 5th paragrpah of the story, was from Mexico for treatment and too alte. Still the phone call we got today was kinda scary. And if we know that the virus' locus is Mexico still think we aren't taking prudent precautions.

At this point closing the border wouldn't do much. The disease is already in the states. I understand that you may want to gain awareness about the virus and that people probably should be taking precautions to prevent being infected, but such drasitc measures you speak of really are not necessary. Oh, and BTW, if "closing the border" were as easy as you make it out to be, we wouldnt be paying taxes for a multi million dollar fence there. LOL.

This is getting serious.

Not all the people riding NYC subways were wearing masks, although I didn't take the train home today. My school, which has students from The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, Westchester, New Jersey, etc. is still open. I think you're either overreacting, or have watched Resident Evil a few times too many.

trust me this is only a big deal because it is getting in the way of people traveling and stuff like that.. its only making headlines because people are losing money from this.. and that all people care about now of days.

Being a big believer in conspiracy theories, I would not be shocked if this possible "pandemic" is over-emphasized in order for people to forget that the economy is in the crapper. You know, come up with something else, that's possibly fatal, for folks to worry 'bout. Works everytime, you know ;)

I have cold or flu or allergy symptoms right now - not sure what. Scratchy throat, runny nose, couging a little, feel warm. When I get home, I'll take some zicam, drink some grapefruit juice and have won-ton soup.

Being a big beleiver in conspiracy theories, I would not be shocked if this possible "pandemic" is over-emphasized in order for people to forget that the economy is in the crapper. You know, come up with something else, that's possibly fatal, for folks to worry 'bout. Works everytime, you know ;)

:rl: Wouldnt make sense coming up with a deadly disease....Will only make the economy worse. BTW, you ever see the movie "Wag the dog".... Funny movie, and if you're really a fan of conspiracy theories, this one will really get you thinking.

:rl: Wouldnt make sense coming up with a deadly disease....Will only make the economy worse. BTW, you ever see the movie "Wag the dog".... Funny movie, and if you're really a fan of conspiracy theories, this one will really get you thinking.

yah, it wouldn't make sense, but that never stopped people in power before. we underestimate how stupid people are - even well educated people.

not that i want to get swine flu, then again i've never had the flu at all in my life ever......but almost 40,000 people die every yea rin the form regular flus....and they're saying this one doesn't seem to be any more virulent then any of the lfus thatr were around this winter, so i don't see a reason for total panic.

Being a big believer in conspiracy theories, I would not be shocked if this possible "pandemic" is over-emphasized in order for people to forget that the economy is in the crapper. You know, come up with something else, that's possibly fatal, for folks to worry 'bout. Works everytime, you know ;)

I have cold or flu or allergy symptoms right now - not sure what. Scratchy throat, runny nose, couging a little, feel warm. When I get home, I'll take some zicam, drink some grapefruit juice and have won-ton soup.

As a Conspiracy theorist, I figured you would blame it on the NWO for population control.

not that i want to get swine flu, then again i've never had the flu at all in my life ever......but almost 40,000 people die every yea rin the form regular flus....and they're saying this one doesn't seem to be any more virulent then any of the lfus thatr were around this winter, so i don't see a reason for total panic.

Regular flu killls old people and babies. Swine flu is killing mostly young adults. This is no joke, people.

Regular flu killls old people and babies. Swine flu is killing mostly young adults. This is no joke, people.

I agree, about not being a joke. The regular flu is not good, either, but the key thing is that there is a vaccine for the regular flu. There is no vaccine for swine flu, and once it starts spreading human-to-human (as it already has), it mutates, which makes finding a vaccine much more difficult. It takes 6-8 months to develop a vaccine.

yeah.....it def sucks. but so far the onyl confirmed death in the US is a 2 year old mexican toddler. how weird is it that it seems, so far, only mexicans have died from this flu.

Texas officials have postponed all high school athletic competition until May 11.

The move suspends the baseball season and eliminates the regional track championships, said University Interscholastic League Executive Director Charles Breithaupt. He said UIL officials acted on the recommendation of public health officials.

"We want to make sure our student athletes are not brought in any harm

This is getting serious.

I know France has alreadey cancelled all flight to and from Mexico.

Some of the people in this thread need to get a grip on reality. This could be a deadly disease throughout the world. It needs to be taken seriously. 100 schools already closed [and counting]...Stay safe people.

yeah.....it def sucks. but so far the onyl confirmed death in the US is a 2 year old mexican toddler. how weird is it that it seems, so far, only mexicans have died from this flu.

Hopefully those people were weak and that's why they are dead, but remember when AIDS only affected gays and drug users?

This could be deadly serious.

Archived