Aroldis Chapman has defected

Jetlag

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/aroldis-chapman/

Aroldis Chapman is a 21 year-old lefty who's touched 100 mph with his fastball. Interested? According to CubaenCuentro.com, Chapman defected from the Cuban national team while the club was stationed in the Netherlands (English version here). Chapman is currently in an undisclosed location, and he told the paper he plans to sign with a Major League club. Chapman pitched in the WBC against Japan in March, and R.J. Anderson of FanGraphs provided analysis. A video clip of a different WBC appearance can be seen here.

----------

Here's a vid of him.

ZE0iQmsFSms

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/aroldis-chapman/

Aroldis Chapman is a 21 year-old lefty who's touched 100 mph with his fastball. Interested? According to CubaenCuentro.com, Chapman defected from the Cuban national team while the club was stationed in the Netherlands (English version here). Chapman is currently in an undisclosed location, and he told the paper he plans to sign with a Major League club. Chapman pitched in the WBC against Japan in March, and R.J. Anderson of FanGraphs provided analysis. A video clip of a different WBC appearance can be seen here.

----------

Here's a vid of him.

ZE0iQmsFSms

This is awesome. The Yankees can use a late inning matchup lefty that costs 112 million.

:-P

I have to say I watched 3 minutes of that clip and I wasn't real impressed. I don't like his delivery and I didn't see him hit higher than 94 mph. Granted I only watched 9 pitches.

I have to say I watched 3 minutes of that clip and I wasn't real impressed. I don't like his delivery and I didn't see him hit higher than 94 mph. Granted I only watched 9 pitches.

the kid's got some potential, but he is going to need at least 2 years in the minors before being ready for the majors. His windup is good, but he doesnt use the force of his body to get the ball through the zone. His arm is too far behind many times... looks like he could have issues like Willis or Ollie Perez with control. Its going to take some time with pitching coaches to get his windup under control.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/03/sports/baseball/03yanknotes.html?_r=3&scp=1&sq=aroldis%20chapman%20&st=cse

Once pitcher Aroldis Chapman defected from the Cuban national team in the Netherlands on Thursday, speculation instantly began over which major league club would sign him and how much money he would command.

The Yankees, who have been at the forefront of signing international pitchers, will have discussions about whether they should pursue the left-handed Chapman. He fires a fastball that exceeds 100 miles per hour and is widely considered the premier pitching prospect in Cuba. His age was reported Thursday as 21, but reports in March at the World Baseball Classic said he was 26.

Bart Hernandez, an agent who is hoping to represent Chapman, said Chapman threw 100 and 101 m.p.h.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/03/sports/baseball/03yanknotes.html?_r=3&scp=1&sq=aroldis%20chapman%20&st=cse

Once pitcher Aroldis Chapman defected from the Cuban national team in the Netherlands on Thursday, speculation instantly began over which major league club would sign him and how much money he would command.

The Yankees, who have been at the forefront of signing international pitchers, will have discussions about whether they should pursue the left-handed Chapman. He fires a fastball that exceeds 100 miles per hour and is widely considered the premier pitching prospect in Cuba. His age was reported Thursday as 21, but reports in March at the World Baseball Classic said he was 26.

Bart Hernandez, an agent who is hoping to represent Chapman, said Chapman threw 100 and 101 m.p.h.

• 3 months later...

I don't buy this for a second. The Tigers payroll is already woefully inflated with dead money, and money sunk into dead players, and they have mulitple free agents getting ready to collect. Add to that, Verlander coming due in the next couple.... No way Illitch opens the purse strings to pay this guy the kind of money they're talking.

The Tigers have joined the host of teams expressing interest in Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman, a source tells SI.com. The team has contacted Chapman's camp in attempts to schedule a meeting later this week or early next week, the source said.

Chapman, a 21-year-old who has hit 102 mph on radar guns, has garnered substantial interest from major league teams since he defected July 1. His zipping fastball, youth, projectable frame (6-foot-4 and lean) and a shallow free-agent pitching pool are expected to make Chapman one of the most expensive players on the market this offseason.

Several industry sources expect Chapman will command more than the $32 million the Yankees paid Cuban right-hander Jose Contreras in 2002.

The Tigers did not immediately respond to SI.com's request for comment about their possible role in the Chapman sweepstakes. The Tigers join the Orioles, Red Sox, White Sox, Cubs, Yankees, Mets, Athletics and Cardinals as reported suitors for Chapman.

The Yankees hosted Chapman and his agent, Edwin Leonel Mejia, at Sunday night's Game 6 of the ALCS. He was scheduled to meet with the Cardinals today, but the announcement of manager Tony LaRussa's return to the team upended those plans. Chapman arrived in New York from Europe last Wednesday.

Archived