So I got an IPhone

T0mShane

Laugh all you want folks... the Mytouch costs you less.. has software by Google... a ton of Apps... and it is carried on Tmobile... who has won the customer service award 7 years in a row.

You are just being ignorant and following the pack if you do not seriously research the Mytouch VS the Iphone... choose how you wish... but to ignore either is silly.

Laugh all you want folks... the Mytouch costs you less.. has software by Google... a ton of Apps... and it is carried on Tmobile... who has won the customer service award 7 years in a row.

You are just being ignorant and following the pack if you do not seriously research the Mytouch VS the Iphone... choose how you wish... but to ignore either is silly.

:rl::rl::rl:

:bwahaharoll:

Did the research you used in coming up with this opinion come from the same book you used to research video game consoles? lol I think you need to buy a new book!

:rl::rl::rl:

:bwahaharoll:

Did the research you used in coming up with this opinion come from the same book you used to research video game consoles? lol I think you need to buy a new book!

All i said was research both devices... both have pro's and con's...

Way to show how far up Steve Jobs ass you are.

I have Verizon, so neither is an option for me.

Google voice sounds cool, I currently use a virtual toll free number and voicemail system at grasshopper.com, but at some point when it matures want to look at this. From what I have read though, the iphne browser is still far and away the best mobile web browsing experience there is, and without the iphone's multi touch, the mytouch and other phones just don't compare. Couple that with my personal experiences with my att&t reception not really being a problem and the larger 3g coverage area I believe at&t has over tmobile and the difference in price to me is negligible. Other things like a more polished interface requiring fewer clicks to do things, a slightly better keyboard, better form factor, and better integration with the rest of my computers just makes it the right choice for me.

I find most of the iphone bashers to be people who can't or won't switch providers or can't afford it, and the bashing is just sour grapes, a lot of them probably never even spent any real amount of time using one. The funny thing is, without the iphone, none of these other phones would even exist. Apple wiped the slate clean and completely rethought how a cell phone should work, how the os should work. Before that everything was a mishmosh of menus and clicks and multiple layers of screens and crappy browsers you wouldn't think of actually using to really sit down and view the internet. Before the iphone, how many people would have seriously thought to use their phone as a real mp3 player, let alone portable tv to view movies. The iphone has completely untethered me from my laptop when I travel, and made my life so much easier as a person who always has 10 things going at once and all involving the internet and technology. This is not my first smartphone, I have had crackberry's and nokias, but none of them came close to giving me what the iphone does, and the only reason they can even compare to the iphone now is because apple woke them all up by eating their lunch. Just keep in mind, the only way there could ever be an "iphone killer" is if there was an iphone to begin with. BTW, nobody has been able to outdo the iphone completely yet, at least in the most important ways, so I am going to stick with the guys who came up with the great ideas from the beginning, chances are they aren't done coming up with great ideas yet.

I have to say that ecurb is definitely on to something here. I thought this was further off than it is:

Never deal with a carrier again? Oh man wouldn't that be sweet.

Very cool. I just can't imagine tmobile or any other carrier is going to allow this for very long. Between the subsidy they pay to the manufacturer for every phone they sell, to the cost of bandwidth used on their network, they aren't going to stand for applications that let them skirt their fees. No way is tmobile going to allow a long distance call that they get 1.50 per minute for to go through for .02.

The idea google has is great, bringing together all of your phones to one number, but unless a middle ground is formed where the network providers are taken care of this won't fly long term. I think google realized this from the beginning back when they were trying to buy their own piece of the spectrum to set up their own cell network.

I have to say that ecurb is definitely on to something here. I thought this was further off than it is:

Never deal with a carrier again? Oh man wouldn't that be sweet.

Not dealing with a carrier would be great, but I wouldn't get my hopes too high, telecoms will try and find a way to derail this IMO, however, I really like what Google is doing, I'm rooting for them every step of the way.

You get any unknown charge and just have to call and they take it off immediately.

when I first got texting plan I didn't know that the incoming text count against my texting limit and this one girl i know must have texted me like 500 times and at the end of the month I had a $115 bill. I called Verizon and told them I didn't know about the incoming texts situation and the Customer rep immediately gave me a $20 credit, just for calling them. I was so impressed I upgraded my plan to get more texts.

Very cool. I just can't imagine tmobile or any other carrier is going to allow this for very long. Between the subsidy they pay to the manufacturer for every phone they sell, to the cost of bandwidth used on their network, they aren't going to stand for applications that let them skirt their fees. No way is tmobile going to allow a long distance call that they get 1.50 per minute for to go through for .02.

The idea google has is great, bringing together all of your phones to one number, but unless a middle ground is formed where the network providers are taken care of this won't fly long term. I think google realized this from the beginning back when they were trying to buy their own piece of the spectrum to set up their own cell network.

Tmobile is allowing it... they also offer unlimited hotspot calling on Wifi UMA phones for only $10/mo and they also offer an unlimited $10/mo VOIP service...

when I first got texting plan I didn't know that the incoming text count against my texting limit and this one girl i know must have texted me like 500 times and at the end of the month I had a $115 bill. I called Verizon and told them I didn't know about the incoming texts situation and the Customer rep immediately gave me a $20 credit, just for calling them. I was so impressed I upgraded my plan to get more texts.

I've got AT&T. Early on, my daughter ran up massive texting charges on my bill. I called, and they were kind enough to completely erase those charges. Now I have unlimited texting and very few minutes. The kids really prefer texts. I never get close to my minutes limit.

Tmobile is allowing it... they also offer unlimited hotspot calling on Wifi UMA phones for only $10/mo and they also offer an unlimited $10/mo VOIP service...

They are allowing it until they see what it is going to cost them. If there is widespread adoption it will be killed. It is like how some foreign providers were shocked when they saw the spike in data usage when the iphone came out. Before the iphone nobody was using their phones in any kind of meaningful way to browse the internet, that changed quickly and some providers, like rogers in canada, did away with unlimited plans when the iphone 3g came out last year. This google voice will take the same path, carriers will view it as niche until it is widely adopted then they will pull it. Heck, you can add the google voice number to your family and friends group and pay absolutely nothing to make international calls, do you think tmobile is going to stand for this for very long? If you think this phone is any more open to development just because it is google you are mistaken. These phones are sold through providers and the manufacturer receives a subsidy from the provider for every phone sold. The providers get a say in what services these phones offer. The FCC is doing a PR probe of apple/ATT's ban of google voice, it is mostly for show and to try and shame them a little bit, once that blows over and the FCC shows that they really have no power in the matter, I expect the other carriers to follow suit.

They are allowing it until they see what it is going to cost them. If there is widespread adoption it will be killed. It is like how some foreign providers were shocked when they saw the spike in data usage when the iphone came out. Before the iphone nobody was using their phones in any kind of meaningful way to browse the internet, that changed quickly and some providers, like rogers in canada, did away with unlimited plans when the iphone 3g came out last year. This google voice will take the same path, carriers will view it as niche until it is widely adopted then they will pull it. Heck, you can add the google voice number to your family and friends group and pay absolutely nothing to make international calls, do you think tmobile is going to stand for this for very long? If you think this phone is any more open to development just because it is google you are mistaken. These phones are sold through providers and the manufacturer receives a subsidy from the provider for every phone sold. The providers get a say in what services these phones offer. The FCC is doing a PR probe of apple/ATT's ban of google voice, it is mostly for show and to try and shame them a little bit, once that blows over and the FCC shows that they really have no power in the matter, I expect the other carriers to follow suit.

No matter how much say tmobile and other mobile carriers have on android's app store, it can't possibly be as bad as Apple's contradictory and idiotic policy regarding which apps get allowed and which denied. They denied a dictionary a week ago simply because it contained "****" and "sh!t" when you searched for those two words. That's insane.

Awesome tips, bro. I will definitely get on that Remote app. Sounds bad ass.

ANd thanks for the rest of the tips, dudes. I've been screwing with it for a few hours and it seems handy. The plan should be aroung $90 a month which is close to what I was paying for my feature-free piece of **** T-Mobile.

No problem, enjoy man, the iPhone is pretty unreal once you learn all the ins and outs of it. The #1 benefit from it in my personal opinion is the fact that you get the convenience of iTunes right in your phone, in managing everything and also being able to access the program from anywhere you are now. I'm an Apple person, and it's become just as important to me as my Macbook.

The battery's an issue with a lot of people, so get used to shutting a few things on and off in the settings tab when you know you won't need to be using them, (i.e., shutting off Wifi or even 3G when you know you just need a basic phone for a few hours), it'll save a ton of power.

No matter how much say tmobile and other mobile carriers have on android's app store, it can't possibly be as bad as Apple's contradictory and idiotic policy regarding which apps get allowed and which denied. They denied a dictionary a week ago simply because it contained "****" and "sh!t" when you searched for those two words. That's insane.

Did you read the official response from one of apple's higher ups on that one? The developer submitted the app before apple had their age rating system in place. They were told the app was denied until the age rating system was set up, at which time they could reapply and it would go through. Instead of waiting the 2-3 months for this, the dev decided on their own to just delete the offensive entries and resubmit. The apple vp said they didn't want the dev to do that and it would have been better had they just waited.

Apple definitely is having some hiccups with the approval process, part of it is due to them trying to maintain their pc/family image, part if it is they don't want anything that conflicts with their functionality, part of it is their secrecy in development of their own stuff, and part of it just makes no real sense on the surface. I do imagine though that as the android app base grows (currently nowhere near the apple app store size) they will have similar problems or worse trying to balance quality vs crap, and genuine devs vs people looking to hack and exploit and cause havoc.

I am not an appologist, and they sure are taking a lot of heat for this approval process stuff, but on the other hand, this isn't a music player, it is a cell phone/email device, and it contains a lot of sensitive info and it is very important that the phone just works due to peoples dependence on them for serious use. If that means extra security measures then what can ya do?

on a serious note verizon has the best customer service by far.

It's funny, but I hear this from a lot of Verizon subscribers now. I haven't dealt with Verizon in quite some time, but I'd be willing to guess that customer service initiatives have been fairly recent, meaning within the past 2-3 years, probably due to the business they lost when AT&T gained exclusivity with the iPhone when it first came out and also the arrival of Fios. When I was a subscriber (quite some time ago now, I ended with them around '04), the customer service was awful. So bad that myself, my father, and several friends of mine all ended our contracts with them over a few months span. Through 3 phones and probably around 5 years with them, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've had problems with any of my phones or reception, and haven't had one issue with the customer service.

Did you read the official response from one of apple's higher ups on that one? The developer submitted the app before apple had their age rating system in place. They were told the app was denied until the age rating system was set up, at which time they could reapply and it would go through. Instead of waiting the 2-3 months for this, the dev decided on their own to just delete the offensive entries and resubmit. The apple vp said they didn't want the dev to do that and it would have been better had they just waited.

Apple definitely is having some hiccups with the approval process, part of it is due to them trying to maintain their pc/family image, part if it is they don't want anything that conflicts with their functionality, part of it is their secrecy in development of their own stuff, and part of it just makes no real sense on the surface. I do imagine though that as the android app base grows (currently nowhere near the apple app store size) they will have similar problems or worse trying to balance quality vs crap, and genuine devs vs people looking to hack and exploit and cause havoc.

I am not an appologist, and they sure are taking a lot of heat for this approval process stuff, but on the other hand, this isn't a music player, it is a cell phone/email device, and it contains a lot of sensitive info and it is very important that the phone just works due to peoples dependence on them for serious use. If that means extra security measures then what can ya do?

All I ask for is some consistency. I just brought up that app as one example, but there is worse stuff that got on the app store without any hiccups. They just need a clear set of guidelines or something because it's all very strange what they deny. I prefer Google's more lenient system that allows one to improve native apps, and contains a warning beforehand for what it might change. More flexible while you still have the warning thing up for what it accesses.

The data exploits/tethering apps might become a problem once Android gains a larger consumer base, but who knows.

The google app fiasco is killing them, their approval process has really allowed the jailbreak scene to flourish though. Those guys do awesome work IMO.

It's funny, but I hear this from a lot of Verizon subscribers now. I haven't dealt with Verizon in quite some time, but I'd be willing to guess that customer service initiatives have been fairly recent, meaning within the past 2-3 years, probably due to the business they lost when AT&T gained exclusivity with the iPhone when it first came out and also the arrival of Fios. When I was a subscriber (quite some time ago now, I ended with them around '04), the customer service was awful. So bad that myself, my father, and several friends of mine all ended our contracts with them over a few months span. Through 3 phones and probably around 5 years with them, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've had problems with any of my phones or reception, and haven't had one issue with the customer service.

Fios has some great customer service also. You call up technical support and you get an American guy who you can understand. They forgot to give me HD Wires, and I called up the same day and they sent the cables overnight shipping.

Archived