Yankees Magic Number Watch

DaBrick Wall

Scott. You are really splitting hairs here. The Yankees and Celtics percentages are awfully close to be making value judgments about them. It isn't a statistically significant difference.

24.07 vs 26.97

Which is pretty impressive seeing as how the Yankees would probably have to win 3 titles to move that number up a point where as every one the Celtics wins move it about 1.5-2 points.

Don't cloud his perception!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Scott. You are really splitting hairs here. The Yankees and Celtics percentages are awfully close to be making value judgments about them. It isn't a statistically significant difference.

24.07 vs 26.97

Which is pretty impressive seeing as how the Yankees would probably have to win 3 titles to move that number up a point where as every one the Celtics wins move it about 1.5-2 points.

A statistical edge is a statistical edge.

The numbers don't lie.

Trust me, if the Yankees had the edge, we would all know it. ;)

OK The Yankees won the most, and I see them as more succesful until someone wins more championships (26 as of now) in less years.

Don't cloud his preception!

He is technically right, that the celtics have a higher number. I'm just not impressed by the number. It's a number that punishes the yankees for being around so long. Even so, the numbers are so close that I still say while the celtics have a higher win percentage I am more impressed with the yankees number. I'm not a big Bbal fan so it's not like I am biased against the celts. I like them from when they had Larry Bird.

A statistical edge is a statistical edge.

The numbers don't lie.

Trust me, if the Yankees had the edge, we would all know it. ;)

But it is not a statistical edge at all. They're both withing the same standard deviation so they are looked upon as being in the same group. In the top 2% of winning percentages. Think of it like grades on a test. Anything above A 3.7 is considered an A.

He is technically right, that the celtics have a higher number. I'm just not impressed by the number. It's a number that punishes the yankees for being around so long. Even so, the numbers are so close that I still say while the celtics have a higher win percentage I am more impressed with the yankees number. I'm not a big Bbal fan so it's not like I am biased against the celts. I like them from when they had Larry Bird.
I never denied that, so his perception is that makes them the #1 most successful team.

I have no problem with him having his perception.

Why should I view them as more successful until they win more titles in less time?

He has a problem with my perception.

I have given the Yankees their due plenty. I am just against YAnkees fans giving them the World Series title because of a great regular season. Doesn't work that way. Sure, the Yankees should be the favorite to win it all. Doens't mean they will. They will have to earn it.
And who is crowning them already?

Also, In basketball how many teams make the playoffs?

For allot of the Yankees world series' 2 teams made it, if you came in 2nd place you did not even get a chance at the title.

You always played the best team in the other league, (would be conference in the NBA) in the final!

There were no 1st, 2nd, or 3rd round upsets, or total bullsh*t like not re-seeding.

It's hard to win it all in Baseball, Hockey, Football and Basketball, but Basketball is by far the easiest IMO.

I'd bet most would agree.

In basketball one guy affects a team way more than in any other sport, and the refs dictate way more of the game then the umps do in baseball.

IMO winning the World Series is a greater accomplishment.

But even playing fields only matter to some perceptions.

I'm sure the guy with the priorities that don't let the Mets' last 3 seasons bother him, sees it different though.

I wonder if the Mets were going for their 3rd straight this year if his priorities would allow him to feel a little different also.

Archived