Hi from Times Sq

vanDoug

yep,

Nice wireless connection here at the espnzone while I enjoy my large Yeungling. This city is as great as I remembered it.

Citi Field = great stadium.

Yankee = crazy and fun, cept don't like the tunnel around the outfield on the first level, prefer the open.

Pizza = outstanding

Food in general =outstanding.

People here = great!!!

Thanks to all for your NYC recommendations, trying to get them all in.

Got talked into the musical Wicked last night and enjoyed it, very well done.

Anyway.

This has become our default bar in midtown so if you're in the area over the next 9 days or so and see 2 geeks with laptops on the 2nd floor bar, stop and say hello.

cheers,

d

Thanks for the replies.

A sign of things to come?

Soccer was on one of the 2 large TVs here and a Cards fans asked for the Cards/Brewers game instead. Staff said no-go. WTF????

Bus tour yesterday, been here many times, but 1st bus tour......

Doing the Feast of SG tomorrow night.

Saturday is Philly and the Phils/Mets game.

I liked Citi better, but you cannot top the vibe at Yankee Stadium.

No DLJ, I try not to be one of those people....too much competition.

More Yeungling bartender!!!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thanks for the replies.

Soccer was on one of the 2 large TVs here and a Cards fans asked for the Cards/Brewers game instead. Staff said no-go. WTF????

ESPN is trying really hard to shove BS soccer down our throats. Back when I wasinterning @ ESPN this summer they were working on a deal with Barclays & other soccer sponsors to expand soccer here in the States. When will they realize that no matter how many Premier League & La Liga games they show on the weekends, Americans dont give a rat's ass about Soccer.

Thanks for the replies.

V D (hehe) Make sure you make it down to McSorleys Ale House on E 7th one block from Cooper Sq. or Aston place. Then finish the eve. a few blocks away in little India, :cheers::cheers::cheers:E 4th and 2nd Ave.

yep,

Nice wireless connection here at the espnzone while I enjoy my large Yeungling. This city is as great as I remembered it.

Yankee = crazy and fun, cept don't like the tunnel around the outfield on the first level, prefer the open.

Pizza = outstanding

People here = great!!!

Anyway.

This has become our default bar in midtown so if you're in the area over the next 9 days or so and see 2 geeks with laptops on the 2nd floor bar, stop and say hello.

cheers,

d

ya gotta go to Mcsorleys asap

Times Square, what's up with that lawn chair in the middle of the street mess? Only in New York! :P

The last time I was in NYC for a few days (late August), I walked roughly 125 blocks. I love walking in general - and people watching. I was hoofing it back to my hotel from the Met Museum around 9 @ night, and I was so hungry, I couldn't stand it. I walked into Nello's on 62nd and Madison not knowing it's one of the most expensive Italian restaurants on the map. The food was stellar, but I was disappointed in the wine list. I took one sip and sent my Chianti back.

I have some great NYC stories. In fact, I shrieked out loud in the Met, speaking of which. A totally weird security guard. You know, WEIRD. I asked him a question, and he totally lied to me where a favorite painting of mine was. I knew he was full of it, because the painting had been moved from its usual place months before, which is why I asked. He told me some random mess that I KNEW was wrong, so I walked over to the next guard and asked HIM. Right before closing time hours later while I'm walking out, I see him not knowing he sees me seeing him. He says in this gruff whisper, "I HATE this place!"

He was all sweaty, a real pasty looking guy that you know is going to go postal some day. I shrieked out loud, though, because it hit me so funny. It echoed all over the halls in the Medieval section, which made me shriek even louder. I walked back to him and said, "I heard that, of course. Dude, it's not that bad. I can think of far worse places to work." He giggled nervously. I don't doubt that he'll shoot the place up at some point.

yep,

Pizza = outstanding

People here = great!!!

Anyway.

cheers,

d

Have a great time and WELCOME TO AMERICA :biggrin:

ESPN is trying really hard to shove BS soccer down our throats. Back when I wasinterning @ ESPN this summer they were working on a deal with Barclays & other soccer sponsors to expand soccer here in the States. When will they realize that no matter how many Premier League & La Liga games they show on the weekends, Americans dont give a rat's ass about Soccer.

Speak for yourself. There's a small, but sizable chunk of Americans like myself who enjoy European soccer. Hell, just the fact i can watch 45 minutes straight without one freaking commercial is good enough for me. I just wish I could get Fox Soccer or GOL TV to catch the Bundesliga games.

Great call. McSorleys is awesome.

I get nauseous and a splitting headache when i drink there. Finally figured out why. Ever watch them clean the classes? The barback dips them into the dirty soapy water, then puts them out to dry, no rinse. Drink 10 beers out of those glasses and see how you feel, ugh.

Thanks for the replies.

i worked a booth at SG feast for 8-10 years, good thing for an out of towner to check out.

Went to a game in philly last week, the stadium is great. They even have a tony lukes, although nothing beats going to the real one. Try the crab fries from chickie and petes, its on the first level behind right field. If you need tix let me know, i have a number for a guy who has tix 11 rows behind the phillies bench and he isn't unreasonable.

If you are stuck in midtown with your hotel, two places in that wasteland to check out

http://www.carnegiedeli.com/ --- ruebens!! Huge, bring an appetite

http://www.schnippers.com/ --- haven't been there yet, but just saw them beat bobby flay in a sloppy joe throwdown. I think it is a fastfood/comfort food thing, on my list of places to try.

Other than tourist areas, are there any Pizza Huts/ Dominos in the metro area?

sadly yes there are, i think they do well with kids who order those breadstick things and geeks who like to order online, dominos has a cool online ordering system. But i don't get it, we live in the city with the worlds greatest pizza, it is crazy to me that anyone would eat from those 2 places.

sadly yes there are, i think they do well with kids who order those breadstick things and geeks who like to order online, dominos has a cool online ordering system. But i don't get it, we live in the city with the worlds greatest pizza, it is crazy to me that anyone would eat from those 2 places.

I could see those places doing well in places like....Kansas:)

we live in the city with the worlds greatest pizza, it is crazy to me that anyone would eat from those 2 places.

Because the local pizza joints don't deliver to a house full of drunken people at 2am, which is the only reason for Domino's to be in business.

dominos has a cool online ordering system.

"Vishwanath put your pizza in the oven at 1:48AM"

It's much more entertaining when you're ossified.

Just walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and completely stuffed out at Grimaldi's. A very cramped place but superb pizza (and Brooklyn Lager)

We do not get pizza like that on the west coast. Yummy!!!!

Now at the Water St Bar and Grill in Brooklyn watching the US open and drinking Harp Lager. Holidays are tough.

:cheers:

Supposed to rain tonight, but going to Feast in little Italy anyway.

Times Sq.

There are tons of in your face guys trying to sell you tix to bus tours.

Thought of a great biz op.

T shirts reading.......

"I'VE ALREADY DONE THE *&^%$#@! BUS TOUR!!!!

Think it would work?

cheers,

d

Just walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and completely stuffed out at Grimaldi's. A very cramped place but superb pizza (and Brooklyn Lager)

Now at the Water St Bar and Grill in Brooklyn watching the US open and drinking Harp Lager. Holidays are tough.

Times Sq.

T shirts reading.......

Think it would work?

cheers,

d

That and the "Welcome to New York NOW LEAVE" shirts would go like Hot Cakes

Times Sq.

T shirts reading.......

Think it would work?

cheers,

d

Doug, you are truly in a "New York stae of mind"

Keep up the good work and posting:cheers:

Times Sq.

T shirts reading.......

Think it would work?

cheers,

d

If you're still in Brooklyn and they have any Sixpoint products on tap, I recommend trying one. They're a smaller brewery in Brooklyn and they don't bottle...

Joebaby hit a home run with his Jets shop recommendation on 50th just off Madison.

Thanks. My credit card hurts from being swiped.

Last Sunday caught the Gospel brunch at BB Kings on 42 st. Not really my gig, but the up tempo numbers were fun to listen to.

Got the unlimited MTA subway pass and quite enjoy the culture of commuting. Lots of colorful and entertaining people.

This is such a fun city.

I envy those of you that live and work here.

Off to Philly for 2 nights tomorrow.

Then Baltimore (Fells Point) for 2 more nights before returning to NYC for 3 more

cheers.

Archived