All Those Mistakes They Promised Us That Sanchez Would Be Making...

SoFlaJets

well guess what? He HAS been making them. But we're still 3-0. I heard Franscesa today opening his show throwing cold water on our season already, highlighting exactly that. "He's careless with the ball, he has thrown interceptions, he dove into the end zone head first".

All the kid does though is win anyway. Look, I am not naive enough to think we're not going to lose some games this year but ya gotta be impressed with the kid so far.

Sanchez is one of those guys that wins at everything-we all know those kinds of guys, we grew up with at least one. Hell, he even won Yankees fan of the day last week when they all went to the Stadium.

You have a weird way of showing appreciation for our lord and savior. :-P

well guess what? He HAS been making them. But we're still 3-0. I heard Franscesa today opening his show throwing cold water on our season already, highlighting exactly that. "He's careless with the ball, he has thrown interceptions, he dove into the end zone head first".

All the kid does though is win anyway. Look, I am not naive enough to think we're not going to lose some games this year but ya gotta be impressed with the kid so far.

Sanchez is one of those guys that wins at everything-we all know those kinds of guys, we grew up with at least one. Hell, he even won Yankees fan of the day last week when they all went to the Stadium.

LOL, great thread.

You gotta like the way he carries himself even when he makes a mistake. That is the most impressive aspect of his game and its the main reason why I think he has been so successful this far.

what matters is he learns from his mistakes, and doesn't fold like a tent after a mistake. I'm curious to see his ball handling this week to see if he holds it high and tight ala the master, PM

what matters is he learns from his mistakes, and doesn't fold like a tent after a mistake. I'm curious to see his ball handling this week to see if he holds it high and tight ala the master, PM

Ball figures to be pretty dry in the dome. I'm not too worried about it this week. The kid's improvisation skills are a huge part of why he's been this successful so far. I wouldn't want them to do anything to mess with that. I don't want any of that Herm-Mangini-Pennington fear to be a part of his game. I want him playing loose.

I hate the notion of almost INTs or woulda' happened stuff. The NFL is all about what actually happened, not what might have happened.

Montana threw a sure INT in the SB against the Bengals that would have lost the game. Guess what? The CB dropped it and Montana marched down the field for the iconic TD and championship.

Missed opportunities is the fabric of the NFL and good players make opponents pay for those missed opportunities.

As to Sanchez's mistakes, he's made them and they're known. He's also very intelligent and I'm supremely impressed by his ability to avoid making the same mistake twice. We saw that in the preseason and in the regular season. He LEARNS from his mistakes.

Thus far, in this 3 games, Sanchez is the most developed rookie QB I have ever seen. No, that's not hyperbole because I'm not projecting that he will be the best. But, he's doing right now what other rookie QBs aren't.

The Jets wanted Sanchez to manage the game. He isn't. He's helping them win games because the Jets haven't gotten the running game to work.

Sanchez is making adjustments based on reading the defense. Rookie QBs don't do that.

I hate the notion of almost INTs or woulda' happened stuff. The NFL is all about what actually happened, not what might have happened.

Montana threw a sure INT in the SB against the Bengals that would have lost the game. Guess what? The CB dropped it and Montana marched down the field for the iconic TD and championship.

Missed opportunities is the fabric of the NFL and good players make opponents pay for those missed opportunities.

As to Sanchez's mistakes, he's made them and they're known. He's also very intelligent and I'm supremely impressed by his ability to avoid making the same mistake twice. We saw that in the preseason and in the regular season. He LEARNS from his mistakes.

Thus far, in this 3 games, Sanchez is the most developed rookie QB I have ever seen. No, that's not hyperbole because I'm not projecting that he will be the best. But, he's doing right now what other rookie QBs aren't.

The Jets wanted Sanchez to manage the game. He isn't. He's helping them win games because the Jets haven't gotten the running game to work.

Sanchez is making adjustments based on reading the defense. Rookie QBs don't do that.

+100 and scoring TD's not FG's...brady may take a lesson from him:D

Ball figures to be pretty dry in the dome. I'm not too worried about it this week. The kid's improvisation skills are a huge part of why he's been this successful so far. I wouldn't want them to do anything to mess with that. I don't want any of that Herm-Mangini-Pennington fear to be a part of his game. I want him playing loose.

I must respectfully disagree

he will be coached on this, and he better improve on it. he needs to slide instead of leading with his head, and he needs to tuck the ball while running, not hold it out like a loaf of bread

he won't run very often, so the most significant area of improvement needs to be holding the ball higher as he moves around the pocket

Do these guys ever watch other rookie QB's?

Sancez has been exceptional. He's made some mistakes, some bad throws but he's also making plays. The guy is producing. He accounted for 3 TD's against the Titans, what more can you as from a rookie QB? Guy needs to STFU.

This is eerily similar to Big Ben's rookie year imo. People kept saying he relied on great D and run game every chance they got. Well at some point your QB HAS to make good throws and lead the team. Maybe now folks can appreciate guys like that.

This is eerily similar to Big Ben's rookie year imo. People kept saying he relied on great D and run game every chance they got. Well at some point your QB HAS to make good throws and lead the team. Maybe now folks can appreciate guys like that.

Maybe I'm biased but I've seen more throws out of Sanchez this year than out of Ben in 2004.

I hope we go 15-1, if not 16-0, and I hope we go 1 game farther than you did. :)

I didn't want to say it before, but coming into the season I was looking at the 2004 Steelers as a model for this year and it's potential with the big D, rookie QB, running attack, and coming off a disappointing season the year before.

Fortunately it's playing out like that AND there is no team out there like the 2004 Pats, unless your Steelers can rebound.

he kind of folded like a tent after his fumble and didn't wake up till the other rookie fumbled it back a quarter later.. just saying..

Not really. We've had almost no running game,...

If the running game ever gets cranking we will get a chance to see how good Sanchez can be. All the opponents are crowding the line trying to force the young 'un into mistakes. If they can be forced to respect the running game, Sanchez will have a little more breathing room, hopefully allowing the game to slow down a little for him.

he kind of folded like a tent after his fumble and didn't wake up till the other rookie fumbled it back a quarter later.. just saying..

I wouldnt say he folded like a tent, we just couldnt get anything going, its not like he was making boneheaded plays. Run game was flat, receivers couldnt get open, pressure was coming...they gained some momentum off that fumble and it took a while for us to get it back.

Also, B Schott had a really bad play call right when the kid was getting into rhythm. He called that b.s. run with TJ, a short pass with TJ and then that crazy leon throw back to Sanchez play. None of it was necessary, we were killing them with the skinny post and we should have kept going back to it until they stopped it. When someones hot, you got to role with it, no need to get creative when you are just killing them with the old pitch and catch.

Maybe I'm biased but I've seen more throws out of Sanchez this year than out of Ben in 2004.

I hope we go 15-1, if not 16-0, and I hope we go 1 game farther than you did. :)

You're biased. lol

My Gawd I vividly remember tons of great throws that year and telling you to look at countless replays yet you steadfastly refused to acknowledge. Yet here we are a few years and 2 SB's later and you STILL wanna play that card. lol

But yeah, I give your young gun proper respect. :)

You're biased. lol

My Gawd I vividly remember tons of great throws that year and telling you to look at countless replays yet you steadfastly refused to acknowledge. Yet here we are a few years and 2 SB's later and you STILL wanna play that card. lol

But yeah, I give your young gun proper respect. :)

Carson Palmer, FTW!!

I wouldnt say he folded like a tent, we just couldnt get anything going, its not like he was making boneheaded plays. Run game was flat, receivers couldnt get open, pressure was coming...they gained some momentum off that fumble and it took a while for us to get it back.

Also, B Schott had a really bad play call right when the kid was getting into rhythm. He called that b.s. run with TJ, a short pass with TJ and then that crazy leon throw back to Sanchez play. None of it was necessary, we were killing them with the skinny post and we should have kept going back to it until they stopped it. When someones hot, you got to role with it, no need to get creative when you are just killing them with the old pitch and catch.

aah.. ok.. whatever you say nitzy..

The dude has been remarkable given his profile (1st year qb, junior with 16 starts). that doesn't mean he's been perfect. You could visibly see him dejected on the bench and he didn't snap out of it until the momentum swung back in our direction thanks to that idiot PR. Momentum is HUGE in football, I'll be looking to see him recapture it in the future..

have yet to really happen/cost us in 3 games.

He's still had rookie moments, but good teams cover that. We have a good team, even without superstar WR blank, pass rush extraordinaire x, and DE y.

See the thing about winning is that no one remembers or cares how bad you looked. It's just a nice story to tell.

I think a lot of what's being mentioned (his ability to read and react to defenses, change plays at the line, etc etc) have a lot to do with 2 things.

1 -- Playing in a similar offense at USC to the Jets offense... There's no doubt that Pete Carroll in USC has been known for his offensive prowess over the years. While the defense has improved as well, USC has long been known as an advanced offensive powerhouse. They basically have an NFL style playbook at USC, so I think that has helped him and other USC QB's since there isn't too much of an adjustment as far as the playbook goes.

2---Rex's D. When you can train yourself to go up against that D that has been so dominant for the past 3 games (without arguably our best pass rusher, who was there in TC), all training camp and preseason... There aren't too many defenses out there that WILL overwhelm you. Sanchez, the OL. Rex, and BSChott have all talked about how they think going up against the Jets new defense all summer really forced Sanchez to make good decisions and change things at the line in order to prove himself to the staff.

If he can do it against these schemes, he can do it in his sleep against most NFL defenses, lol.

Overall, I think those are the main reasons Sanchez has been succesful so far. Of course there is still plenty of room for improvement, but the fact is that the mistakes he's made have been minimal enough where we were able to minimize them with good defense and give him opportunities to redeem himself.

Archived