JETS PSLs

insidejets

Did you know PSLs are leased,not purchased, and ultimately decline in value over time  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know PSLs are leased,not purchased, and ultimately decline in value over time

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On the other hand.....Why did i have to sit in the last row of the endzone upper deck in the old house because i wasn't lucky to have a father or family member who was a season ticketholder to transfer them to me? Am i any less of a fan that I shouldn't be given a chance to enjoy what you have for 25 years?

Nobody ever says this, but what about the real fans who weren't able to get in the door for the last 20 years, while tons of season ticketholders were either flipping their seats every year or just not even going to games?

Hey it totally sucks that some people were priced out, but in actuality were you really? It seems to me that psl-free upper bowl seats have been available the whole time, and anyone with 25 years senority would have gotten something up there, and probably decent ones at that. So yeah maybe they aren't lower bowl behind the jets bench 50 yard line, but seriously, why am I not allowed to compete for those tix, I am as real and hardcore a fan as anyone, just happens I am the first in my family to be so. So congrats, you had 25 years in the lower bowl and got to see some great games, I was up in the nosebleeds ducking when planes passed by.

Great post and I totally get what you are saying but my take has nothing to do with what you are focusing on. Simply put, the entire lower bowl is overpriced. I am happy that you finally get a shot at all seats. I am all for a free market and if you have the cash and want to go for it, by all means, please do.

My real point is that almost the entire lower tier is available for less than what the Jets are asking any of us to pay.

People simply dont realize that when you factor in the price of the PSl and paying for preseason games, its far less to ust by the tix on the secondary market....

Much much cheeper and the price of a PSl devalues over time.

Thats it.

Why would people? Because they love going to games. Having the same seats and the same fans sitting around them every game. And there are no guarantees you'll get the seats you want for a price that will be cheaper than PSL and ticket price together. Heck... just opening night this season will cost more than the price of a season package and PSL fees for this year. Some people love the event. They are willing to shell out extra money for the right to be guaranteed seats.

If people buying PSL's dont understand the points i laid out, then they are morons. But most do and are willing to pay extra to go to games. People around my old seats are paying top PSL price for 4 seats because their kids are young (HS & College), they are rich, and love going to the game. Everyone else around me is either going upstairs or not coming back.

You say this but then look at the response to my poll. Less people see the truth than you realize.

Despite the fact that I'll only be able to sell my tix over the next seven years or so I'm seriously considering a PSL purchase. Would it be THAT stupid to buy one? Ever since I was a kid I said one of my goals in life was to have Yankees and Jets seaon tix when I retire. It looks like the Yanks have price me out but the Jets are still a possibility.

I did a quick search and not only have the Jets started dropping ticket prices, PSls are already being sold at well below face value. What does this all mean? Stay away, stay very far away from buying one.

Why are you telling people what to do? If they want to buy PSL's let them. I dont see why you care what other people spend their money on.

• 4 weeks later...
Why are you telling people what to do? If they want to buy PSL's let them. I dont see why you care what other people spend their money on.

I am not telling people what to do but merely giving out the real information that the Jets and NFL execs are quite aware of right now.

Chris Mortensen knows the truth, as he articulated it perfectly tonight on ESPN when he chuckled almost sarcastically and said something like, maybe all of these offseason acquistions will help the Jets sell some of those PSLs....

Translation....the public has caught on. Regardless of how good the Jets are (and they may be very good next year), the entire lower bowl is way overpriced and the public knows it.

Simply put, you can buy most seats between the end zones in the lower bowl for less than face value when you factor in the price of the PSL and the fact that you are obligated to buy tickets to all of the preseason games.

Phil Mushnick has written some great articles on this.

PSLs are a horrible purchase. They are NOT an investment, as they will ultimately DEvalue over time.

My family has had lower bowl seats between the 40s for almost 30 years. We will not be buying from the Jets since we figured out that we will be able to go to as many games as we want, for a fraction of what the Jets are asking us to pay.

Your like a disease that hops from board to board repeating yourself. Go away, no one gives a ****.

I don't read the other boards much but I have to say I agree with everything he is saying here.

Stupid question:

Say I wanted to make my annual trip to the meadowlands (although I skipped last yr) for the Pats/Jets tilt....are tickets going to be even more outrageous because sellers will try to recoup some of the psl costs?

Stupid question:

Say I wanted to make my annual trip to the meadowlands (although I skipped last yr) for the Pats/Jets tilt....are tickets going to be even more outrageous because sellers will try to recoup some of the psl costs?

For you triple the cost.

I don't read the other boards much but I have to say I agree with everything he is saying here.

I think the problem is that a lot of people suspect he is a ticket broker (which is why he was banned under four different aliases at JI). He also doesn't seem to post anything on any Jet board (at least the ones that I browse) that doesn't have to do with tickets or PSL sales (even the one football related post he did last night was more of the "the Jets are making these moves in the hopes of selling PSLs rhetoric).

He may have a point about the lower bowls being overpriced (especially between the 20s), but there's an agenda behind it.

I think the problem is that a lot of people suspect he is a ticket broker (which is why he was banned under four different aliases at JI). He also doesn't seem to post anything on any Jet board (at least the ones that I browse) that doesn't have to do with tickets or PSL sales (even the one football related post he did last night was more of the "the Jets are making these moves in the hopes of selling PSLs rhetoric).

He may have a point about the lower bowls being overpriced (especially between the 20s), but there's an agenda behind it.

Yes I have an agenda. I am an upset fan. I am not a broker. This is not complicated. Sure, my family is more upset than most. Why you ask? Because we have been on the 50 yard line for almost 30 years.

I totally get it that other fans that were frozen out from the best seats are happy because they are now getting a shot at better seats.

I am all for that, actually. That said, I also did an actual analysis of the true cost of seats between the 30 yeard lines in the lower bowl, and they basically come out to well over $400 per game (not including parking and other costs), when you include the cost of a PSl and the fact that you have to pay for preseason games.

AND THIS IS FOR SEATS ON THE 30 YARD LINE!

Stuff closer to the 50 gets you to a number well over $1,100 per seat per game.

Once I did the math and read Phil Mushnick's articles, I began to see the truth.

PSLs are leased and not bought, and they ultimately decline in value over time. In additon, they are already being sold at below face in the lower bowl.

The poll I posted received a fascinating response, as it shows that many people still do not know the truth.

The above is the only agenda here.

Finally, this thread was created to discuss this topic. Other threads discuss other topics, which is totally fine.

I am well aware that there are probably Jets employees signing up and trolling sites like this trying to debunk the truth.

In the end, reagrdless if they win a superbowl this year, seats in almost the entire bottom tier can be had at well below what the Jets are asking us to pay after you factor in all costs.

Just ask Chris Mortensen....off the record of course.

Stupid question:

Will your old webmaster friend mark up your tickets even more, that is the question. :rl:

There are two things I especially don't like about the situation,

1) The Giants and Jets have a stadium together. TO-freaking-GETHER. So why do we need PSLs that cost that much, hell, why do we even need PSLs at all then? TO-freaking-GETHER!!!! The only shared stadium in the NFL and they need PSLs???

2) The way they try to pitch them is so stupid. What are the benefits of PSLs?

-Possibly have the right to BUY MORE tickets from us, (for concerts, and at a high cost as well)

-Possibly have the ability to BUY MORE playoff tickets from us ($$$$)

-The only "free parking" in the world that costs like 10 G's

-Sit in the "same, great" seats each game. Oh my god, what a benefit, I've never even heard of this idea before..oh wait, yes I have, it's called SEASON TICKETS. Suddenly what used to come free is part of a multi-thousand dollar package and I should be happy about that?

-Choose from among the best seats in the house. Calling this a "benefit" of buying PSLs is flat out ridiculous. It's like if you went to the movie theatre and they told you that you had to put $100 down to "buy" your seat for the event but told you that when you're buying your seat you'll be choosing from "among the best seats" in the house. No freaking duh. What'd you think exactly? You thought I was gonna shell out 10 grand to sit in the #$&*$&^$ nosebleeds?

Will your old webmaster friend mark up your tickets even more, that is the question. :rl:

People will probaly look for face value or a bit more, but if you have some cash to burn, I would look on places like Craigs List or similar sites to see what you can get before game time.

I wasnt really thinking baout the one off purchase when I did my analysis. It was looking at comparing buying two PSLs and all the tickets to just buying tickets to most of the games during the season.

It is possible a given game will cost more than face value (depending where you sit), but far less than the average ticket price if you decided to buy PSls and pay fo all the tickets to all the games.

Rather than "opportunity has never knocked this hard", I think the new commercials should be "opportunity has never cost so much and been so devoid of anything resembling opportunity itself"

I know they are scrambling to succeed, and I have no problem with that.

I have some extra cash, so instead of spending $14,000 and $50K (plus interest, plus parking, plus food, etc.) for the honor to sit in Coaches Club Seats for the entire season, I will propbaly drop about $1K two or three times during the year, for the best Club Seats in the house for a fraction of the what the people who own them paid for them.

This is pretty much the way to go.

I know they are scrambling to succeed, and I have no problem with that.

I have some extra cash, so instead of spending $14,000 and $50K (plus interest, plus parking, plus food, etc.) for the honor to sit in Coaches Club Seats for the entire season, I will propbaly drop about $1K two or three times during the year, for the best Club Seats in the house for a fraction of the what the people who own them paid for them.

This is pretty much the way to go.

While I prefer to just focus on the actual cost of a Lower Primer Seat (comes out to more than $400 per ticket per game when you factor everything in, excpet for parking, food, drink, gas, etc, etc.), the post below is also petty good.

Part 7: PSLs through the eyes of Phil Mushnick and Roger Goodell Written by Andy Furman Sunday, 15 March 2009 09:00

This morning, Phil Mushnick has taken a seat in the PSL stadium and he does not like the view. Echoing the opinions expressed here on the Ultimatenyg New York Giants football blog, the words are unambiguous.

"..the most disgraceful, greed- based story in NFL history"

"the Giants are.. desperate to find suckers to purchase personal seat licenses"

The latest wrinkle that Mushnick uncovers in this PSL mess is how NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell defends the Jets and Giants seat licenses as 'good investments' while the Jets explicitly say otherwise.

Warren Buffett defines an investment's return as the sum of (the present value of future) retained earnings over the period of the holding. So for PSLs, they are licenses, not shares. When the stadium closes in ~30-35 years (about the length of the current Giants Stadium), it will be worth zero. Check the fine print, I am sure it says that the license is for this new stadium, not a license forever. Add that you have to PAY for all preseason and seasons tickets, and that is the reverse of a dividend. Yes, you get entertainment, but no, the endpoint of the license WILL be zero. And just for the exclamation point, we'll throw in there that in 30-35 years, if you hold the license until it is worthless, you (or your heirs) will be on the queue to pay for another stadium (license) yet to be built.

These people exist. In droves. If they didn't, the team wouldn't be pushing the idea that PSL's are an "investment."

I feel bad for them.

A PSL is an investment, it is going to be liquid and have a market price as long as there are fans who want to go to games and have disposable income to spend on it. The market for them and their liquidity will depend on a ton of factors that the Jets and fans who buy them don

Intersting stuff. I just checked out some sites again today and PSls are continuing to be sold for below face value. I see that the Jets already dropped some ticket prices. If people dont bite on the lower tier PSLs, they will eventutally have to drop those prices too.

...They do not have to.

When the PSL structure was created for this stadium a standby for the sale of the unsold game tickets was already in motion: "TICKETMASTER."

Ticketmaster is the official ticket seller of all JETS & GIANTS games & beginning in August will offer the entire season, with an additional processing fee, for all seats in the new stadium that are not purchased by potential PSL owners.

This will continue for years until every seat in the house has been sold out so the JETS can hold out as long as they want.

And that's the whole truth...

...They do not have to.

When the PSL structure was created for this stadium a standby for the sale of the unsold game tickets was already in motion: "TICKETMASTER."

Ticketmaster is the official ticket seller of all JETS & GIANTS games & beginning in August will offer the entire season, with an additional processing fee, for all seats in the new stadium that are not purchased by potential PSL owners.

This will continue for years until every seat in the house has been sold out so the JETS can hold out as long as they want.

And that's the whole truth...

I am not even sure what this post means.

The bottom line is that any of us will be able to buy seats in the lower tier at prices lower than what the Jets are asking us to pay after factoring in the the price of a PSL.

Thats it.

Whatever Ticketmaster or anyone else does is up to them.

In the end, I am sure Woody and the Jets organization will be fine.

I am merely trying to shed light on what the true value and cost is to the consumer.

Phil Mushnick has said it best, so check out his articles on the subject.

You should try reading his other work... this is a little toned down, but it is still got too many dashed of crazy.

BZ

"but it is still got too many dashed of crazy"? Is English your first language?

There is nothing crazy going on here. PSLs in the lower tier are a bad purchase. I understand that people with lots of money can do whatever they want, but lets not fool ourselves.

Any of us will be able to go to games for far less than what it will cost per game if you buy (or should I say "rent") a PSL and the tickets to the underlying games.

The poll stats tell us not everyone realizes that PSLs are like land leases and that they ultimately decline in value in the long run.

its one mans personal quest to warn the world of the danger of PSL's.

Too bad its a year late.

Its not a year late.....The jets are miserable and struggling to sell the bottom tier PSls becasue the public figured it out.

They are a complete waste of money because we can buy season tickets on the secondary market for far less than what the Jets are asking us to pay.

Its not a year late.....The jets are miserable and struggling to sell the bottom tier PSls becasue the public figured it out.

They are a complete waste of money because we can buy season tickets on the secondary market for far less than what the Jets are asking us to pay.

One of the best posts on the net about what PSls are really about:

http://www.fannation.com/message_boards/show_topic/28523

Your crusade against PSL's would have been better LAST YEAR before anyone bought them.

Not after most of the stadium is sold.

And most people by this point have already decided whether or not they're buying. You're not blazing any new trails here.

I dont care if Woody sells all of his PSL's or not. I dont care if other people know how PSL's work. If they're stupid enough to buy something before knowing all of the ins and outs than thats their problem. I dont care what my fellow JN members blow their money on. I told the Jets no. Ive moved on with my life.

Archived