Former All-Star Jose Lima dead at 37

Lil Bit Special

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5212413

NEW YORK -- Former All-Star right-hander Jose Lima died Sunday morning at his home in Los Angeles at the age of 37.

The cause of death was ruled a heart attack, according to his wife, Dorca Astacio.

"Jose was complaining while sleeping and I just thought he was having a nightmare," Astacio told ESPNdeportes.com. "I called the paramedics, but they couldn't help him."

Lima was 89-102 in 13 seasons with the Detroit Tigers, Houston Astros, Kansas City Royals, Los Angeles Dodgers and New York Mets.

He was selected to the All-Star Game with Houston in 1999, when he won a career-high 21 games. He didn't return to the major leagues after being released by the Mets in 2006, when he posted a 0-4 record.

Last winter, Lima played for the Aguilas Cibaenas in the Dominican Republic and had announced plans to do the same in the upcoming season.

Enrique Rojas is a reporter and columnist for ESPNdeportes.com and ESPN.com.

jose-lima-17.jpg

Wow. R.I.P.

crazy news. I hung out with Lima one night in Norfolk when he was playing for the Norfolk Tides - my buddy helps out all the spanish speaking players when they come in town, and had known Lima for years - Lima was a great guy the entire time - and the three of us went to lunch at puerto rican rest - he picked up the tab, no questions asked - refused to let us pay - then was picking up drinks all night - he took over the stage at the bar, and started singing in spanish. was telling all sorts of great stories from the bigs, even got Papi on the phone while we were at lunch - it was awesome. I wish his family the best, and Lima Time will be missed - entirely too young

RIP

Dio, Lima, who is the 3rd?

Guy from Slipknot.... Brittany Murphy's husband... John Travolta's dogs.

An airport service vehicle struck and killed two dogs belonging to John Travolta last week at Bangor International Airport in Maine. The accident occurred last Thursday morning; city officials confirmed the story to the Bangor Daily News today.

"The airport takes safety very seriously," airport director Rebecca Hupp told the BDN, adding the facility generally does not name its visitors for the sake of privacy. "Many flights come and go without incidents. Clearly, this is an unfortunate accident. Our deepest sympathies are with the family."

Travolta and wife Kelly Preston own a home on Isleboro, Maine -- the family was traveling by way of Bangor. The actor's publicist, Paul Bloch, told the BDN that he was not aware of the incident.

Bangor interim city manager Bob Farrar e-mailed the nine city councilors about the accident late last week. The city released the following statement to the BDN:

"At approximately 1 a.m. on Thursday, May 13, 2010, an airplane carrying members of the John Travolta family landed at BIA. While there, two small dogs were taken for a walk by someone who is not a family member. An airport service pickup truck was approaching the airplane to service the airplane and did not see the dogs. Unfortunately, the dogs were struck and killed. The airport is investigating the accident. Out of respect for the family's privacy the city will make no further comment."

Travolta, who starred in 'Old Dogs' in 2009 and voiced a computer-animated canine in 2008's 'Bolt,' is a serious pilot who often flies himself into Bangor's modest airport. The Bangor Daily News was unsure whether Travolta was flying the plane on the day of the incident.

Archived