Question for Yankees fans

CrazyCarl40

The Hughes situation. Skipping starts and probably an innings limit. Good idea? Bad idea? It will hurt his chances for a Cy Young. Will this turn out like Joba or will it not effect him at all? His ERA is already rising progresively month to month. What do you all think?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No effect at all.

Hughes is a much steadier customer than Joba. And half think they are playing with his start now figuring Girardi will pick him for the ALL Star team(well-deserved) but that the way his 5 days is he will not see the mound in Anaheim. Yanks could never say that because MLB would get pissed.

The Hughes situation. Skipping starts and probably an innings limit. Good idea? Bad idea? It will hurt his chances for a Cy Young. Will this turn out like Joba or will it not effect him at all? His ERA is already rising progresively month to month. What do you all think?

Yanks are more interested in resting their young guns in their quest for their 28th...yeah, you heard it right, 28th World Series Championship and if one of their pitchers happens to win the Cy Young award with that, so be it.

This the only point spin cycle is trying to make

Not if we are worried, but why a mans 0.91 ERA is getting progressively higher:yawn:

I'm glad you know my intentions. I just thought it was a discussion worth having seeing as how it negatively impacted Joba. At least try to stay on topic. The only reason I mentioned that his ERA was on an upward trend month to month (not overall, obviously it is going to go up from .91) was that as the season grinds on and the weather gets hotter, it's more of a burden on the starters. He might not be used to the wear and tear and it's not a good sign he is struggling already in June.

Yup, spin-boy is a troll!

I'm a troll now? By bringing up relevant conversation? Interesting.

Yanks are more interested in resting their young guns in their quest for their 28th...yeah, you heard it right, 28th World Series Championship and if one of their pitchers happens to win the Cy Young award with that, so be it.

Oh, NS. I wish you would come up with something better than championships. It's so cliche by now.

[quote name='Blackout

Oh, NS. I wish you would come up with something better than championships. It's so cliche by now.

I realize "championships" are difficult for Red Sox fans to comprehend seeing how Yogi Berra has more than your entire organization, but when you happen to play in more October/November classics then any other team, Cy Young awards are not a priority.

I realize "championships" are difficult for Red Sox fans to comprehend seeing how Yogi Berra has more than your entire organization, but when you happen to play in more October/November classics then any other team, Cy Young awards are not a priority.

No they aren't the priority, but I'm sure more than one championship is and if the Yankees want to win more, then what the do and how they handle Hughes is going to have a major influence on that. You have to actually answer my question. It's really not that difficult either.

How is he struggling, troll?

His ERA has gone up a full run each month. It's over 4 for June. And what are you, six? People still call names? Seriously?

His ERA has gone up a full run each month. It's over 4 for June. And what are you, six? People still call names? Seriously?

You're asking if the skipped starts will cost him a Cy Young bid, yet you say he's struggling and I'm six. :yawn:

Maybe I would not call you a troll, if you stopped acting like one.

You're asking if the skipped starts will cost him a Cy Young bid, yet you say he's struggling and I'm six. :yawn:

Maybe I would not call you a troll, if you stopped acting like one.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A CY YOUNG! It has everything to do with how it will effect him as a pitcher. Which a few people understood and responded in kind. Amazing how that worked. Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit.

And last I checked this is a baseball discussion board. How can you troll a baseball discussion board by bringing up baseball topics? Doesn't make sense, much like the majority of your posts.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A CY YOUNG! It has everything to do with how it will effect him as a pitcher. Which a few people understood and responded in kind. Amazing how that worked. Reading comprehension is obviously not your strong suit.

And last I checked this is a baseball discussion board. How can you troll a baseball discussion board by bringing up baseball topics? Doesn't make sense, much like the majority of your posts.

From your OP:

It will hurt his chances for a Cy Young.

Just sayin'.

From your OP:

Just sayin'.

And it will. It was a statement. Not a question. My post was question for Yankees fans. Not pick out one statement and harp on that. Here are my questions:

"Good idea? Bad idea? Will this turn out like Joba or will it not effect him at all? What do you all think?"

A few people read them and answered them. It wasn't hard. I bet even you and NS could do it.

Apparently, you guys have selective reading skills and only see and read what you want.

Whatever. I suppose having intellectual debates with Yankee fans is a lost cause.

Limiting innings for a young pitcher? Good idea. The Nats are wisely limiting Strasburg right now and most teams do it with young pitchers. The ones that don't end up with cases like Mark Prior and Kerry Wood whose careers were completely ruined by Dusty Baker.

And it will. It was a statement. Not a question. My post was question for Yankees fans. Not pick out one statement and harp on that. Here are my questions:

"Good idea? Bad idea? Will this turn out like Joba or will it not effect him at all? What do you all think?"

A few people read them and answered them. It wasn't hard. I bet even you and NS could do it.

Apparently, you guys have selective reading skills and only see and read what you want.

Whatever. I suppose having intellectual debates with Yankee fans is a lost cause.

First of all, coming in with an arrogant attitude that rooting for a particular team makes someone dumb (unless that team is the Dolphins) and constantly berating those who disagree with you is why some here call you a troll.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of innings limits. I think it's dumb and for the long term you are training weakness into a pitcher in general.

What works for one guy isn't necessarily going to work for another and vice versa: the innings limitation on Joba was ridiculous as was the charade of trying to make him a starting pitcher (even though he did have that one brilliant start where he shut down the Bosox :Nuts:)

As far as Hughes is concerned I say let the kid pitch. I don't care about the Cy Young (because I don't think he'll win it anyway) but I will be pissed if this ridiculous innings limit prevents him from winning 20 games, lose the opportunity to pick up valuable postseason experience or worse, as far the team in concerned, makes the Yankees unnecessarily give up prospects for Cliff Lee or Roy Oswalt who they can just as easily sign in the offseason without giving anyone up.

First of all, coming in with an arrogant attitude that rooting for a particular team makes someone dumb (unless that team is the Dolphins) and constantly berating those who disagree with you is why some here call you a troll.

That being said, I'm not a big fan of innings limits. I think it's dumb and for the long term you are training weakness into a pitcher in general.

What works for one guy isn't necessarily going to work for another and vice versa: the innings limitation on Joba was ridiculous as was the charade of trying to make him a starting pitcher (even though he did have that one brilliant start where he shut down the Bosox :Nuts:)

As far as Hughes is concerned I say let the kid pitch. I don't care about the Cy Young (because I don't think he'll win it anyway) but I will be pissed if this ridiculous innings limit prevents him from winning 20 games, lose the opportunity to pick up valuable postseason experience or worse, as far the team in concerned, makes the Yankees unnecessarily give up prospects for Cliff Lee or Roy Oswalt who they can just as easily sign in the offseason without giving anyone up.

First, was that so hard? I think what you wrote makes sense in regards to Hughes.

Secondly, I've never berated anyone on these boards about anything. And if I come off as arrogant, then you must be reading me incorrectly.

So you say "It will hurt his chances for a Cy Young," yet you think he's struggling. :confused:

Typical troll behavior and most of the people who posted in this thread identified it as such! :yawn:

So you say "It will hurt his chances for a Cy Young," yet you think he's struggling. :confused:

Typical troll behavior and most of the people who posted in this thread identified it as such! :yawn:

He has struggled a bit this month. You can struggle and still be a Cy Young contender. What is hard to comprehend about that? You're the only troll here.

He has struggled a bit this month. You can struggle and still be a Cy Young contender. What is hard to comprehend about that? You're the only troll here.
So now it's just a bit.

ERA - 3.17

W-L - 10-1

SO - 78

WHIP - 1.13

I bet everybody wished they could struggle like that.

So now it's just a bit.

ERA - 3.17

W-L - 10-1

SO - 78

WHIP - 1.13

Hughes would not have ten wins on a different team. He get more run support than any other pitcher in the league. He has struggled a bit since his hot start, yes. That doesn't mean he hasn't been effective. Point is, I was trying to find out what people thought about the skipping of starts and such. Maybe the extra rest will benefit some the stretch run, because it is going to be brutal for all three teams.

Hughes would not have ten wins on a different team. He get more run support than any other pitcher in the league. He has struggled a bit since his hot start, yes. That doesn't mean he hasn't been effective. Point is, I was trying to find out what people thought about the skipping of starts and such. Maybe the extra rest will benefit some the stretch run, because it is going to be brutal for all three teams.
I guess it will be good for his "ERA that's already rising progresively month to month." :rolleyes:

Watch the movie *61 ;)

100% wrong. I hate the movie, because Billy Crystal really exaggerated a lot of what actually went on, but that sells the general public.

First of all, Billy did get the part right about chasing the Babe. Maris, Mickey and the Yankees didn't care about the record near as much as the media played it up. How many times did Maris say in the flick he didn't care about the record? The only time you saw the Yankees getting excited about the record was near the end of the movie when Maris was trying to tie the Babe.

If you remember the scene in the beginning of the movie when Mantle and Maris are called into Houks office and tells them he is switching them in the lineup. Do you remember what Mantle says? He doesn't care, he just wants to win games.

So Scotty, we all know how much you hate the Yankees, but their MO throughout the years is winning titles more than individual accomplishments. Maybe some teams (how ya doing Mets?) should take notice.

This post drips with irony.

So now it's just a bit.

ERA - 3.17

W-L - 10-1

SO - 78

WHIP - 1.13

40 brings up a great point. Hughes pitched 106 IP (minor and major) last year. He pitched 79 in 2008. 111 in 2007. 149 in 2006.

He has 82.1 now with 15+ starts left.

Hughes 'struggles' over the last month can be the law of averages catching up just like with Ubaldo.

His performance could be uneven as he learns to pitch 150+ and 200+ innings.

100% wrong. I hate the movie, because Billy Crystal really exaggerated a lot of what actually went on, but that sells the general public.

First of all, Billy did get the part right about chasing the Babe. Maris, Mickey and the Yankees didn't care about the record near as much as the media played it up. How many times did Maris say in the flick he didn't care about the record? The only time you saw the Yankees getting excited about the record was near the end of the movie when Maris was trying to tie the Babe.

If you remember the scene in the beginning of the movie when Mantle and Maris are called into Houks office and tells them he is switching them in the lineup. Do you remember what Mantle says? He doesn't care, he just wants to win games.

So Scotty, we all know how much you hate the Yankees, but their MO throughout the years is winning titles more than individual accomplishments. Maybe some teams (how ya doing Mets?) should take notice.

So I guess we can only guess that the Yankees using multi-million dollar incentives for ARods's homerun milestones as he chases bonds are just for amusement purposes only ;)

NS do you know you said in the same post that the "film is totally exaggerated", then use a scene out of the movie to make your point :) How do YOU know what Mantle and Maris were thinking-you talk to them?

This all does not really matter to me, but if you want to be a jackass, I can expose your hypocrisy.

So I guess we can only guess that the Yankees using multi-million dollar incentives for ARods's homerun milestones as he chases bonds are just for amusement purposes only ;)

NS do you know you said in the same post that the "film is totally exaggerated", then use a scene out of the movie to make your point :) How do YOU know what Mantle and Maris were thinking-you talk to them?

This all does not really matter to me, but if you want to be a jackass, I can expose your hypocrisy.

Hold on...you're calling me a jackass? I don't think you want to go there. The film was flawed in the aspect of portraying Mantle as an alcoholic. If you know the history of Mantle, he didn't become an alcoholic unitl he was retired...as Yogi said in an interview after the movie was released by HBO, "Mickey didn't drink anymore then any of us did back in those days..." Okay A-hole?! If you're going to quote me, check your reading comprehension, because I didn't say "totally exaggerated". I said...really exaggerated a lot.

Please, I don't need a Mets fan telling me the history of the Yankees...you've got your own problems. And the only thing you expose is your envy of the Yankees...it always comes through in your posts.

Hold on...you're calling me a jackass? I don't think you want to go there. The film was flawed in the aspect of portraying Mantle as an alcoholic. If you know the history of Mantle, he didn't become an alcoholic unitl he was retired...as Yogi said in an interview after the movie was released by HBO, "Mickey didn't drink anymore then any of us did back in those days..." Okay A-hole?! If you're going to quote me, check your reading comprehension, because I didn't say "totally exaggerated". I said...really exaggerated a lot.

Please, I don't need a Mets fan telling me the history of the Yankees...you've got your own problems. And the only thing you expose is your envy of the Yankees...it always comes through in your posts.

But NS, you said the Yankees do not care about individual records-Why reward A-Rod for homerun milestones.

Now would be the time for you to just admit that is not the case.

From Mickey Mantle himself-Of course, NS knows better than all of us:

When I came up with the Yankees in 1951, at age 19, I'd hardly ever had a drink. My father wouldn't have stood for me getting drunk. But the following spring, when Dad died of Hodgkin's disease at age 39, I was devastated, and that's when I started drinking. I guess alcohol helped me escape the pain of losing him.

The Yankees traveled to away games by train in those days, and Casey Stengel, our manager, had a two-drink limit on the trips, although he didn't really enforce it. On the road Billy Martin and I were wild men. We drank up a storm and didn't go to bed until we were ready to fall into bed. The drinking escalated after the '53 season, when Billy came to live with me and my wife, Merlyn, in Commerce. Billy and I were bad for each other. We were always on the go

From Mickey Mantle himself-Of course, NS knows better than all of us:

When I came up with the Yankees in 1951, at age 19, I'd hardly ever had a drink. My father wouldn't have stood for me getting drunk. But the following spring, when Dad died of Hodgkin's disease at age 39, I was devastated, and that's when I started drinking. I guess alcohol helped me escape the pain of losing him.

The Yankees traveled to away games by train in those days, and Casey Stengel, our manager, had a two-drink limit on the trips, although he didn't really enforce it. On the road Billy Martin and I were wild men. We drank up a storm and didn't go to bed until we were ready to fall into bed. The drinking escalated after the '53 season, when Billy came to live with me and my wife, Merlyn, in Commerce. Billy and I were bad for each other. We were always on the go

Archived