Dwight Lowery could be making a major move to Safety.

villain_the_foe

http://nyj.scout.com/2/979281.html

Florham Park, NJ – The lowdown on Dwight Lowery from mini-camp is simple – the guy is making plays all over the field.

Lost amid the Darrelle Revis contract talk and the new additions to the secondary such as former San Diego cornerback Antonio Cromartie and first round pick Kyle Wilson, Dwight Lowery enjoyed a solid mini-camp for the Jets. Making plays, getting in the thick of things and reading plays well, Lowery looks to be quietly emerging as a player to watch for this fall. And it all began with a position switch.

Lowery hot his start in the league as a cornerback but no more, says the player.

“The coaching staff feels like I can have more of an impact as a safety,” Lowery told GreenAndWhiteReport.com. “They feel I can get on the field more and make plays from there.”

Judging from mini-camp, Lowery might become a part of the nickel safety package, where his speed would be an asset to the secondary. Lowery is a good cover player and putting him at safety is an intriguing idea on passing downs. He said that he is comfortable playing further back, off the line. In college at San Jose State, he had to fill-in as a safety for a handful games. The transition has been smooth, so far, he says.

“The most success I’m going to have is to be in the center of the field,” Lowery said. “The coaching staff thinks that is where I can use my instincts the best.”

One thing Lowery has an instinct for is being a good quote, as the player has that swagger of someone who backs up exactly what he says on the field. It’s a personality trait that lets him fit in well with head coach Rex Ryan, who is also known for his comments and personality.

“When you’re confident, there’s that ****iness you get from knowing you can go out there and perform,” Lowery said about the defense’s swagger. “But it’s a fine line between being ****y and over-confident.”

Lowery says the team feeds off the confidence of each other and Rex Ryan. He really likes what he sees in the defense and says that the unit enjoys working together and putting in the extra time lifting and studying tape. The defense, he said, can carry this team far.

“We know we got the goons on the team to get this thing done,” Lowery said.

Kristian R. Dyer can be reached for questions, comments and crude remarks at KristianRDyer@yahoo.com and followed at twitter.com/kdyer1012

I personally think this is going to get the best out of Lowery. I dont know, but I always liked this kid. Hopefully he can make that move to Safety and be very solid

He played well at nickle. He's not going to have much of role at safety. He'll be playing dime and safety. Not a whole lot of time on the field. However he's good insurance in case one of our DB's goes down. Lowery is great for depth on our team.

I know a lot of people on this board have been saying for some time that this is the right move for Lowery and the Jets, me included. He's not fast enough to play CB but he's instinctive and not afraid to tackle. Much better fit as safety IMO.

He played well at nickle. He's not going to have much of role at safety. He'll be playing dime and safety. Not a whole lot of time on the field. However he's good insurance in case one of our DB's goes down. Lowery is great for depth on our team.

Agreed. I've definitely been critical of him from the beginning, but I've always said that with the caveat that he'd be a great 4th and a decent 3rd CB. Problem is, we've had him up at 2 and he's simply overmatched. He does have a good nose for the ball though.

I'm not sure what he'll do at safety, but he could definitely play the Ihedigbo role. Rex used him a fair amount last year.

2 Questions:

1) How many damn safeties are we going to carry on this roster?

2) What's our depth chart going to look like at CB?

CB's: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Coleman, Cole

Safeties: Leonhard, Pool, Smith, Ihedigbo, Warren, Lowery

Something's gotta give.

Agreed. I've definitely been critical of him from the beginning, but I've always said that with the caveat that he'd be a great 4th and a decent 3rd CB. Problem is, we've had him up at 2 and he's simply overmatched. He does have a good nose for the ball though.

I'm not sure what he'll do at safety, but he could definitely play the Ihedigbo role. Rex used him a fair amount last year.

I don't know what you mean by Ihedigbo role. I see him as kind of the opposite of Ihedigbo. They'd probably make a decent platoon, with Ihedigbo against the run and Lowery against the pass.

I like the idea of him at safety, because I think he'll play better facing the ball rather than as a man up CB. The opposite of what we are hoping about Cromartie the last couple of years. I also think he'll be fine covering less players (backs, TEs, lower level WR) man

2 Questions:

1) How many damn safeties are we going to carry on this roster?

2) What's our depth chart going to look like at CB?

CB's: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Coleman, Cole

Safeties: Leonhard, Pool, Smith, Ihedigbo, Warren, Lowery

Something's gotta give.

First of all I think that Lowery is ahead of Coleman and Cole on the CB depth chart and ahead of Warren on the S chart. Second, having a backup that plays both roles is exactly how something gives. If Lowery can be the 4th CB and 4th S he'll let them cut or PS a couple of less likely stiffs-Coleman, Cole, Warren or let them keep a guy with talent, but that may be limited-Ihedigbo.

Having versatile players should allow you to carry fewer. That's one reason I think carrying 4 QBs has been a sin. They have Brad Smith so they could probably get away with having only 2 others, but carrying 4 additional is a crime against humanity.

I don't know what you mean by Ihedigbo role. I see him as kind of the opposite of Ihedigbo. They'd probably make a decent platoon, with Ihedigbo against the run and Lowery against the pass.

I like the idea of him at safety, because I think he'll play better facing the ball rather than as a man up CB. The opposite of what we are hoping about Cromartie the last couple of years. I also think he'll be fine covering less players (backs, TEs, lower level WR) man

First of all I think that Lowery is ahead of Coleman and Cole on the CB depth chart and ahead of Warren on the S chart. Second, having a backup that plays both roles is exactly how something gives. If Lowery can be the 4th CB and 4th S he'll let them cut or PS a couple of less likely stiffs-Coleman, Cole, Warren or let them keep a guy with talent, but that may be limited-Ihedigbo.

Having versatile players should allow you to carry fewer. That's one reason I think carrying 4 QBs has been a sin. They have Brad Smith so they could probably get away with having only 2 others, but carrying 4 additional is a crime against humanity.

I agree with you about 4 QBs (basically 5 with Smith) but it's even worse than that: at least if one of the 4 had a ROLE on the team it wouldn't be as bad, but none of these guys have any role on the team. There's no "veteran tutor" backup, nor is there a young, inexperience all-pro type QB that is developing.

Basically, it's Sanchez and three scrubs. I say that as no terrible insult to them, who knows maybe Ainge develops but right now ... nothing there. So why not keep Sanchez, one other guy and Brad Smith? That's all you need. In their place we can add one extra corner and one extra d-lineman or something.

He SUCKED at nickel. He's not going to have much of role at safety. He'll be playing dime and safety. Not a whole lot of time on the field. However he's good insurance in case one of our DB's goes down. Lowery SUCKS for depth on our team.

Fixed

+1

Archived