Marques Douglas to MIAMI

visajets

This is a problem why? He's 33 and even though Rex brought him over from Baltimore, he clearly had no use for him this season. Even though we had almost no depth at the position at the beginning of the offseason and didn't address it in the draft, we never had any intention of bringing Douglas back.

The fact that he went to Miami should be of no concern. He's done. It actually makes perfect sense he went to Miami after Jason Taylor came here.

This is a problem why? He's 33 and even though Rex brought him over from Baltimore, he clearly had no use for him this season. Even though we had almost no depth at the position at the beginning of the offseason and didn't address it in the draft, we never had any intention of bringing Douglas back.

The fact that he went to Miami should be of no concern. He's done.

Agreed and as a buddy just mentioned we basically traded Douglas for Thomas.

Jul 23

7:05

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

Contrary to a report, the Miami Dolphins didn't swoop in and steal free-agent DE Marques Douglas away from the New York Jets. As we reported earlier in the week, the Jets had no interest in re-signing Douglas at this time. A lot of folks (myself included) thought they would bring back Douglas, a Rex Ryan favorite, as soon as the "Final Eight" restrictions were lifted on Thursday.

But that simply wasn't the case. For some reason (probably, money), the Jets decided to move on from Douglas, a full-time starter last season who finished as the team's fourth-leading tackler. Douglas signed a two-year, $2.5 million deal with the Dolphins, who needed defensive-line help after losing Phillip Merling recently to a torn Achilles' tendon. It's a good pick-up for the Dolphins; Douglas can fit into their 3-4 scheme as a run plugger.

Evidently, the Jets will rely on their young linemen (Mike DeVito, Vernon Gholston, Ropati Pitoitua and Matt Kroul) handle the backup roles.

Essentially, the Jets and Dolphins traded graybeard defenders this offseason -- Douglas to Miami, Jason Taylor to New York. Something tells me the Douglas signing in South Florida isn't going to stir as much debate as Taylor did in these parts.

He's going out a hero. They have a ton of young talent on the DL with Merling, Langford, and Starks. This move makes it more likely they cut the great Vince Oghobaase , formerly of Duke. The Jets will scoop up Oghobaase when they cut him and Douglas will make it back here somehow.

Agreed and as a buddy just mentioned we basically traded Douglas for Thomas.

Not really. They basically traded Douglas and Feely for Taylor and Folk. I'll still take it.

Douglas is OK strictly for depth, and in very limited action, but will be a disaster as a starter. No worries about this signing.

He certainly wasn't a disaster starting for the Jets. From what I've been reading he's not such a great fit for the 'phins. He's only about 290 and they play that Parcells/BB/Mangini style strict 2 gap 3-4. He probably isn't standing up too well or too long in that system. He was a decent penetrator, but he might not be big enough for that system.

...A lot of folks (myself included) thought they would bring back Douglas, a Rex Ryan favorite, as soon as the "Final Eight" restrictions were lifted on Thursday.

But that simply wasn't the case. For some reason (probably, money), the Jets decided to move on from Douglas, a full-time starter last season who finished as the team's fourth-leading tackler. Douglas signed a two-year, $2.5 million deal with the Dolphins, who needed defensive-line

Money? Yep, they couldn't afford $1.25M per for a starting DE because the PSLs are selling slow. Give me a ****ing break. If they'd signed him to this deal Bit would be complaining that they cheaped out. If they wanted the guy they'd have kept him.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Final 8 restrictions have nothing to do with this. IIRC, the Final 8 restrictions don't have any affect on signing your own FAs. There was no reason to wait if they wanted him. The only reason to wait if they were concerned with the Final 8 restrictions was so they could sign somebody else's FA to a deal to equate with Douglas'. With the restrictions lifting on Thursday who would wait?

miami wants him for scheme info, thats all.

They are a little thin at DE to be signing guys for "scheme info". IF that's what they want they could be signing Izzo or somebody else that is kicking around. They all get the same playbook and they'd probably be cheaper.

This is a perfect example of a "Hold the Fort" guy. An aging, but still solid vet that knows the new coaches system and come in for a year or two to help with the transition and mentor other players. Obviously money wasn't an issue with this guy, if Rex wanted him he would be here.

Money? Yep, they couldn't afford $1.25M per for a starting DE because the PSLs are selling slow. Give me a ****ing break. If they'd signed him to this deal Bit would be complaining that they cheaped out. If they wanted the guy they'd have kept him.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Final 8 restrictions have nothing to do with this. IIRC, the Final 8 restrictions don't have any affect on signing your own FAs. There was no reason to wait if they wanted him. The only reason to wait if they were concerned with the Final 8 restrictions was so they could sign somebody else's FA to a deal to equate with Douglas'. With the restrictions lifting on Thursday who would wait?

Haha! I read that and laughed, too.

He's gone because the Jets didn't feel he was good enough on the field anymore. That's it. And yeah, the only "final 8" concept in play here was that if someone else signed Douglas in that timeframe, the Jets could've signed another FA.

Money as the probable reason? That's classic Cimini right there. Always with the BS conspiracy.

The VG position change made Douglas expendable. If Rex wanted him he'd be here,great point made.

Wow, I hope M Douglas doesn't read this board. A lot of cruel shiit said here time to time, but saying V Gholston makes you expendable, thats mean man, just plain mean.

Archived