Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yet the Cardinals — a team that was in the Super Bowl a couple seasons back — thinks he has something left in the tank.

But I'm sure you know more than Faneca's former coaches from Pittsburgh.

Fanaca has been getting blown off the line all training camp.

Fanaca has been getting blown off the line all training camp.

Thanks, Cardinals beat reporter.

I don't think it can be argued that Faneca is still a hell of a run blocker.

That's what the Cards brought him in for.

If the Jets are ready to set Mark Sanchez free, they made the right move. If he isn't ready, it was the wrong move. Time will tell.

Yet the Cardinals — a team that was in the Super Bowl a couple seasons back — thinks he has something left in the tank.

Dude, the Cardinals are banking on Matt Leinart as their starting QB. They are not the team I would be touting as a smart organization right now.

And of course the only team that offered Faneca a contact is the team coached by a guy who basically owes his career to Faneca. :rolleyes:

Faneca was good for this team in 2008. He helped stabilize the line and bring along Brick and Mangold but his quality of play declined dramatically last year and that is why he is not here. His contract just made the decision easy. The Jets are only saving 2.75 million this year and are replacing him with a player who has significantly more upside. That just makes sense from both a football and financial standpoint.

Personally I think the addition of Woody did more the improve the actual line play and the real reason for the improvement was the hiring of Callahan. That guy just knows how to coach o-line. I have total trust in his judgment and in his judgment, we are better off without Faneca.

The Cardinals' options at LG before they signed Faneca were Rex Hadnot or Deuce Lutui. That's why they signed Alan Faneca. Even a washed up Faneca is better than either of those two options. I can't believe anyone still believes it was a bad move to let the weakest link of our line, a soon-to-be 34 year old guard go.

I'll trust Bill Callahan's opinion over Faneca's former coaches that may not have seen what Callahan saw. Callahan is only the best OL coach in the NFL. But whatever.

Dude, the Cardinals are banking on Matt Leinart as their starting QB. They are not the team I would be touting as a smart organization right now.

And of course the only team that offered Faneca a contact is the team coached by a guy who basically owes his career to Faneca. :rolleyes:

Faneca was good for this team in 2008. He helped stabilize the line and bring along Brick and Mangold but his quality of play declined dramatically last year and that is why he is not here. His contract just made the decision easy. The Jets are only saving 2.75 million this year and are replacing him with a player who has significantly more upside. That just makes sense from both a football and financial standpoint.

Personally I think the addition of Woody did more the improve the actual line play and the real reason for the improvement was the hiring of Callahan. That guy just knows how to coach o-line. I have total trust in his judgment and in his judgment, we are better off without Faneca.

Agree to disagree.

But the Cards are banking on developing a running game with Beanie Wells — not the arm of Matt Leinart.

Thanks, Cardinals beat reporter.

I don't think it can be argued that Faneca is still a hell of a run blocker.

That's what the Cards brought him in for.

If the Jets are ready to set Mark Sanchez free, they made the right move. If he isn't ready, it was the wrong move. Time will tell.

How is your right to judge Faneca any different than mine?

The Cardinals' options at LG before they signed Faneca were Rex Hadnot or Deuce Lutui. That's why they signed Alan Faneca. Even a washed up Faneca is better than either of those two options. I can't believe anyone still believes it was a bad move to let the weakest link of our line, a soon-to-be 34 year old guard go.

I'll trust Bill Callahan's opinion over Faneca's former coaches that may not have seen what Callahan saw. Callahan is only the best OL coach in the NFL. But whatever.

I just think it's foolish to ignore the fact the Jets saved $17 million cutting Faneca.

I only brought it up to cite an example of the Jets' cost-cutting moves.

But do you really think Slauson or Duccasse will be better than Faneca this year or even next?

I just think it's foolish to ignore the fact the Jets saved $17 million cutting Faneca.

But do you really think Slauson or Duccasse will be better than Faneca this year or even next?

You keep throwing out this $17 million figure. The Jets are saving maybe half of that by cutting Faneca. They are still paying his $5 million this year. They save 2.75 million this year and about 6 and a half next year. That's 9.25, not 17.

And its also not relevant because money was NOT the main motivating factor in letting Faneca go, performance was.

I don't think your decimal point is in the right place, but in any case it really wasn't a cost-cutting move. The Jets could have paid him $7.75 million to stay, but instead chose to pay him $5 million to leave. That doesn't make ANY sense from a financial position.

The two reasons they let him go, then, are probably the following:

1) They believe he's washed up, and

2) If they decided to keep him, leaving him on the bench was not an option.

Rather than deal with an upset Faneca (and perhaps an unhappy lockerroom), the Jets decided to simply cut ties.

You're right that we don't know what Slauson/Ducasse are going to do. However, I do feel that Callahan trusts one of these two guys not to allow 7 sacks. In the meantime, they'll both be learning right in between Ferguson and Mangold, two of the best in the business at what they do.

You keep throwing out this $17 million figure. The Jets are saving maybe half of that by cutting Faneca. They are still paying his $5 million this year. They save 2.75 million this year and about 6 and a half next year. That's 9.25, not 17.

And its also not relevant because money was NOT the main motivating factor in letting Faneca go, performance was.

Unless I'm reading this wrong . . .

http://www.nyjetscap.com/alanfaneca.html

That's one play.

But I don't really care enough about Alan Faneca to continue this.

Take the money they saved by cutting him and give it to Revis.

They saved less than $3 million. Based on some of the proposed deals by both sides, that's not enough to pay for Revis's services for 4 games.

Like I said in the post before this one, cutting Faneca was NOT, a cost-cutting move. Or, at the very least, it wasn't the primary motive for cutting Faneca.

You're reading it wrong.

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/news/story?id=5130870

The Jets will take a financial hit because $5.25 million of Faneca's $7.5 million is guaranteed. That's a lot of money to eat, and it's believed the Jets were trying to negotiate something to make an easier escape.

They saved $2.25 million.

And you can't really factor in the total amount saved, because even if the Jets kept Faneca on in 2010, they would have most certainly cut him after this season anyways.

You're assuming he would have played out the remainder of his contract without renegotiating or getting cut after 2010?

That's a big assumption considering he will be 34 at the end of this year and has already shown significant signs of declining play.

If anything, all the Jets saved was 2.75 million as he would have most likely been replaced at starting LG at some point this year and then cut at the end of the year.

Paying someone $5 million to play for someone else can not be characterized in any way, shape or form as a "cost cutting" move.

You're assuming he would have played out the remainder of his contract without renegotiating or getting cut after 2010?

That's a big assumption considering he will be 34 at the end of this year and has already shown significant signs of declining play.

If anything, all the Jets saved was 2.75 million as he would have most likely been replaced at starting LG at some point this year and then cut at the end of the year.

Paying someone $5 million to play for someone else can not be characterized in any way, shape or form as a "cost cutting" move.

He would have also been one of the obvious choices of players to cut to make room for the Revis contract that so many intelligent fans here are begging for.

Well said.

Amazing how people can't grasp this simple concept.

Wrong.

Case in point: Faneca GONE.

Except he has cap room.

There is no cap this year at all.

And the cap figures to go up over the coming years, likley enoguh to sign Revis, Harris and Mangold to long-term cap-friendly deals.

And those PSLs went in the same pocket.

Yes, it will be expensive. But if Johnson wants to cry poverty he 1. shouldn't have purchased an NFL team in the first place and 2, shouldn't have treated his long-term customers like a 3 card monte dealer treats his marks.

To go on every media outlet short of "Rachel Ray" to whine and mewl about NFL salaries is pussified crap.

I stopped reading to post this so if I missed something else sorry...

First of all, PSL's cannot be used for football operations. They are only to fund the stadium construction, so even if Woody wanted he cannot use that cash to pay anyone.

As far as the Salary cap goes, NOBODY is handing out guaranteed money this year because they have no idea what the CBA will be.

Faneca was done, washed up. Oh and FWIW Woody shelled out a ton of cash for his time here and he still counts 5 million this year cut.

Do a little research before you spout off.

if faneca is relevant to the Revis discussion it's where were all the calls for prudence when they signed Faneca? or Favre? where was the long term planners when that happened?

Woody owns the 9th most valuable sports franchise in the world, he can't just spend every couple of years. Owner has to spend every year. And spending it on Revis an all pro possible goat as his position, that was drafted by the team, is about as no brainer as it gets.

I was simply going by the numbers in his contract, which stated he was to make $17 million over the next three years.

Again, I'm not broken up over the departure of Faneca. I would be with Revis, though. Guards are replaceable — shutdown corners are not.

if faneca is relevant to the Revis discussion it's where were all the calls for prudence when they signed Faneca? or Favre? where was the long term planners when that happened?

Woody owns the 9th most valuable sports franchise in the world, he can't just spend every couple of years. Owner has to spend every year. And spending it on Revis an all pro possible goat as his position, that was drafted by the team, is about as no brainer as it gets.

Ummm, most of us are making the point that Faneca is NOT relevant to the Revis discussion.

I was simply going by the numbers in his contract, which stated he was to make $17 million over the next three years.

Again, I'm not broken up over the departure of Faneca. I would be with Revis, though. Guards are replaceable — shutdown corners are not.

But there's not a snowball's chance in hell he would have been here for the final two years of the deal and Faneca knew that when he signed the contract.

The non Revis people aren't asking Revis to honor his contract.

We just want him to sign a deal that fair for both him and the Jets. Which the Revis camp is clearly avoiding.

As far as the Salary cap goes, NOBODY is handing out guaranteed money this year because they have no idea what the CBA will be.

Do a little research before you spout off.

The Texans just extended Andre Johnson's deal two years for $38.5 million with $13 million guaranteed.

Do some research before you spout off.

Long-term planning? Favre is off the books, and Faneca will be after next season. How were signing Favre & Faneca ever going to drastically affect our ability to sign others? I'm fine that we signed both those guys even in hindsight, it was better than dealing with another year of Pennington at QB, and who was our LG before Faneca came along, Adrien Clarke?

If you're going to be pissed at anything, its the deals we gave Calvin Pace and Bart Scott who ARE still on the hook the next few seasons. And I'd say they've both given us at least a decent return on our investment as well.

The impending CBA battle is doing much more to hurt our negotiations with Revis, Harris and Mangold than our FA acquisitions.

The Texans just extended Andre Johnson's deal two years for $38.5 million with $13 million guaranteed.

Do some research before you spout off.

If you want to reference Andre Johnson, or even Chris Johnson and Brandon Marshall's deals, remember that Revis's demands exceed all three of those players.

And at the very least, we have something behind Revis in Cro and Wilson. The Texans have Kevin Walter, the Titans have LaGarrett Blounte, and the Dolphins have Davonne Bess. Not exactly great "Plan B's".

Not to mention, Revis still has THREE years on his deal, not 1.

I want our best defensive player in franchise history to be on the field Week 1 against the Ravens.

That's all I want. And I don't care what goes into making it happen. Just make it happen.

Well thank god you don't call the shots. Because thats just not a reasonable solution to this.

Archived