Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

I agree that contracts in the NFL are worthless without guaranteed money.

But you are being ignorant if you think MEvi$' demands and holding out despite already getting upfront money has nothing to do with this.

The Jets want him signed, but if he's not going to be reasonable in negotiations on the yearly wage, don't expect them to be reasonable on the guaranteed money.

It's a two way street, give and take, and I love how you feel these multi millionaires are getting screwed to play a game they love.

If they want to hold all the cards, they should have become owners not players!

Please, if they cave into MEvi$, the Jets won't have a chance to screw anybody, there won't be nearly enough cap room to get a bulk of them wet!

Brooklyn, if you cant hit me with your point without saying Mevi$ please dont expect me to take it seriously or even read pass the "Mevi$". C'mon bro.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, Revis at one time was one of those overpaid rookies. The problem is this, he's not unproven anymore, matter of fact, hes the best in the world right now, no? He may have doubters now that he's worth the money, but if it didnt matter when he was a rookie then why should it matter now...especially if he's "proven"?

He may have doubters now that he's worth the money, but if it didnt matter when he was a rookie then why should it matter now...especially if he's "proven"?

what the hell does this mean??

Revis didn't hold out back then over the Jets' demand for a sixth year. That was the excuse but that wasn't the real holdup.

Revis held out because he felt that despite his draft position, (14th), he should get paid like a Top Five pick. He was the fastest CB at the combine and is about 20 lbs heavier than the average CB. If he didn't get the money he wanted, he was very likely to just skip the season, grow a few pounds heavier and get even faster, (he was only 21 his draft year), smoke everyone even worse at the next year's combine and get drafted much higher the next year.

So the Jets gave him money closer to a Top Five pick than where he was actually taken.

Lessons to be drawn from this? Two.

A. Don't try to BS Revis about his talent level-he knows his talent level, it's higher than anyone else's and he plans to get paid for it.

B. Tannenbaum knows his talent level and will get the job done.

You really think a new CBA will allow players to still only be RFA's until they've completed 6 years? I'm sure it'll go back to 4 like it was. It's only 6 years for UFA eligibility for this 2010 season. Absent a new CBA there isn't even a season in 2011. So since a new CBA is required for a 2011 (and therefore a 2012) season, I think it's a safer assumption that it will be 4 years not 6 and he'll be a UFA in 2012.

Agreed - but if he holds out in 2011, he'll only have 3 years of service time heading into 2012, making him a RFA even under the 4 year rules.

how about this scenario!

let revis find out his own worth.

alot of you are under the impression that revis is untradeable because of his high demands

others have the oppinion that if the jets dont pay him,someone else will.

tanny-"revis.we are not going to give you the money you want.however,we are not going to hold you back from getting the money you seek.we are putting you on the trading block as of now"

as good a player revis is,i am sure tanny will receive 31 phone calls.out of those 31 calls,i am sure some teams are willing to give up proper compensation for revis

now the fun begins.revis then will have the pleasure of negotiating with other teams.

worst case scenario,we lose revis for a small ransom

best case scenario.he finds out that no team is willing to pay him what he wants.

Q: Anything else I should know?

A: Yes. Revis is racking up fines of $16,000/day for each day of the holdout. If he holds out all season (Aug 2-Jan 2) that would be 154 days, meaning he would owe the Jets roughly $2.5 million.

HOLY EFF. If he goes through with this no more talk about feeding his family.

I have a question, does Revis have to give the Jets money as part of this buyback of the last two years of the contract? Because he might not have enough.

He's been paid $16M, so he has $8M after taxes, $5.5M after the fine at the top and then all sorts of living expenses for his family and hoes.

Guys, its not a tough fix when it comes to the bonus. Simply put language into the contract that says he forfeits a percentage of his bonus if he ever holds out again.

Then, determine the signing bonus figure, with the total amount of the deal and salary per year coming last. The rest of the stuff like incentives can be worked out later. The Jets seem to be going into this bass ackwards.

The fact that they're "miles apart" certainly doesn't exalt Revis and his camp of blame, however.

So Wolf pulled the trade. Jackson scrambled to get himself in shape over the final nine weeks of the season. His numbers were great (13 regular-season catches for 142 yards). He was still getting in shape. Once he got in shape, watch out. He had 40 catches the next year, and the move turned out to be one of the best for Wolf in establishing the Packers again as a Super Bowl team.

Those are great numbers? 13 catches one season and 40 the next?

Anyway, most of the players on that list didn't do much after their holdouts. Bennett held out as a rookie, I think thats different from whats going on now.

The Walter Jones thing was unique, technically he didn't hold out by missing training camp because he had not signed the franchize tag contract yet. So no fines, no nothing. I think that was a unique situation.

If you look at the players on that list with situations similar to Revision they all declined after going drama queen on everybody.

Those are great numbers? 13 catches one season and 40 the next?

Anyway, most of the players on that list didn't do much after their holdouts. Bennett held out as a rookie, I think thats different from whats going on now.

The Walter Jones thing was unique, technically he didn't hold out by missing training camp because he had not signed the franchize tag contract yet. So no fines, no nothing. I think that was a unique situation.

If you look at the players on that list with situations similar to Revision they all declined after going drama queen on everybody.

ya.i noticed that,too.i think it was a typo tho.

"They have yet to offer Darrelle Revis -- only their best player -- a single penny in guaranteed money."

http://www.nypost.co...P#ixzz0wCdKqnyX

It's one thing to say "blank check"

its another to say show up with no bonus money

the Jets are in the wrong in this situation. Clearly.

tanny has said, and I know you've read the threads, that all options are on the table, and I'm sure you know they can't offer fully guaranteed money this year

if revis had a brain he'd take the band aid deal and then negotiate a fully guaranteed deal later

but it's not about guarantees is it ?

its' about ego

he wants to be top dog, screw the team

I couldn't vote.

I have no hate for him so I would've voted "None" but the poll starter added the stupid side commentary which changes the dynamic of the freakin' answer.

Seriously. Why the **** do poll starters have to add commentary? Isn't it enough to have simple choices???

You can have no hate for Revis but still not think he's worth the money he's asking for. Why **** up the poll with bullsh*t commentary???

Calm down there chief. Start your own poll if you wish, no one else seemed to have much of an issue. But based on this post, I'd say you are at the "severe" level. Might wanna get some bloodwork done.

Anyone hear that interview with Woody on 1050 with Kay? Sounds like Revis' side is the culprit. Won't even open up to negotiate...

there is nothing to negotiate

he is willing to sit out a year to get aso money, screw the rings this is about cheese

The only way the Jets can give Revis a deal now with $45M guaranteed is to give him a $45M signing bonus.

I knew the cap guy would appear as soon as I made a post about dollars. Sperm, you'd know, if it's true that the guaranteed money isn't the issue, then what's the hold-up? It was my belief that the guaranteed money was the only thing that really mattered in a deal, and the total dollars were just window dressing, seeing as how the club can cut and restructure anytime they want.

i usually dont post florio garbage,but

Revis agent calls claim that Tannenbaum offered a meeting with owner a "blatant lie"

Posted by Mike Florio on August 10, 2010 6:30 PM ET

In the ever-shifting battleground that is the holdout of Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis, a new front has emerged.

Did the Jets offer a meeting with owner Woody Johnson?

On 1050 ESPN earlier today, Johnson said that the Jets, presumably through G.M. Mike Tannenbaum, offered to bring Johnson to Friday's meeting with Revis' agents, Neil Schwartz and Jonathan Feinsod.

"We asked, through his agents, whether he wanted me at that last meeting on Friday, which I would have gone up to . . . [and] we were rebuffed on that," Johnson told Michael Kay.

Schwartz claims that an offer never was made. In strong terms.

"It's a blatant lie," Schwartz told me by phone moments ago. "Not that Mr. Johnson is lying, but his information is incorrect. I've never rejected an opportunity to meet with Mr. Johnson. Why would I have said, 'No, don't bring Mr. Johnson'?

"I wanted Mr. Johnson's input," Schwartz added. "I thought I addressed all his issues and concerns in that proposal. I will meet with Mr. Johnson anywhere. It will be an honor and a privilege to meet with him."

So there you have it. Though we're not sure how it turns out, the folks at HBO surely are rubbing their palms together right now as they wait for all the new subscribers who'll be purchasing the pay channel before Wednesday night's premiere of Hard Knocks.

let the divorce proceedings begin

What "cripples" a franchise is consistently trading up into the first and second round to pick up more high-value players. At some point, assuming those players hit, you have to pay the piper. It's not Revis' fault that Tannenbaum likes to wheel and deal all the time and now has to figure out how to pay Mangold AND Brick AND Harris AND Revis and then Sanchez, etc. etc. Why should Revis pay because of the Jets' drafting practices?

This is just totally nonsensical. Are you actually blaming the team for acquiring good players? would you be happy if the Jets were a team full of JAGS? The Kotite era must have been a wet dream for you.

Trading Revis is the LAST option we ought to pursue for a number of reasons:

1) We would not likely be able to replace Revis anytime soon. Darrelle Revis is one of two true shutdown corners currently in the league (Asomugha is the other and we can't get him) and there are only a handful of them in NFL history.

2) We would never get equal value. With teams geared towards throwing the ball like never before, only an elite QB is more valuable (and we're not getting Manning or Brees in any deal for Revis, either). We may be able to get an impact player back for him (but not a Ware or Allen) and/or draft picks, which are simply a gamble.

3) The team who receives Revis = Super Bowl contender. No, this isn't a Herschel Walker situation. Revis is just entering his prime at a position he can be great at for a long time. Even if we traded Revis to an NFC team, imagine the 49ers with Revis? The Packers?

4) 3 years. Why should we be in a hurry to deal a player whose rights we own until the end of the 2012 season? Revis's only recourse to get more money is a long holdout, because he knows he can't go anywhere.

5) Why let Revis win? Trading Revis away is almost exactly what he wants, which only trails getting the exact contract he wants. Until he sits down and agrees to be more reasonable about his demands, its best for the Jets to just sit tight and work the PR angle. Many people seem to think that NO ONE is going to give Revis $16 million a year. Think again. One of the 31 other NFL teams is desperate enough to bring in a player of his caliber. And if Revis were to get what he wanted, it will just reinforce the idea that scumbags like Sean Gilbert have been making the right call all along.

This is just totally nonsensical. Are you actually blaming the team for acquiring good players? would you be happy if the Jets were a team full of JAGS? The Kotite era must have been a wet dream for you.

My point is that if you load up on high picks in a short period of time, eventually the bill comes due on that and all at the same time. Which is where the Jets are now. This is why many teams look to trade down and build the bulk of their teams with third and fourth round picks.

My point is that if you load up on high picks in a short period of time, eventually the bill comes due on that and all at the same time. Which is where the Jets are now. This is why many teams look to trade down and build the bulk of their teams with third and fourth round picks.

Only if the picks pan out. Mr T has done a good job of moving for quality talent and some people were complaining that there would be a lack of depth. That is not the case and if the Jets win the SB we will all be slobbering all over him for his brilliance.

His out is that 2011 isn't guaranteed and then Asomugha becomes a UFA at age 30.

I've said this before, I think this plays into Revis' strategy. This is the last guaranteed year of Aso's contract. If Revis waits until next year to make his big push the highest salary for a cornerback might be a lot lower.

Same thing for the Jets. They could wait a year and suddenly what they've been offering Revis all along becomes the highest CB salary in the league.

Only if the picks pan out. Mr T has done a good job of moving for quality talent and some people were complaining that there would be a lack of depth. That is not the case and if the Jets win the SB we will all be slobbering all over him for his brilliance.

Agreed. Still, you have an inevitable salary logjam at some point. Let's hope it works out without too much bloodshed. Most of our receiving corps becomes free agents next year.

Archived