Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EY, firstly, I dont want to pretend like I dont see your point...because I do and its not like you're not using logic. My problem isnt your logic, so I dont want to debate that. This is my problem...and really "feel" me on this.

How much is the words "shutdown corner" thrown around? Not too often. Revis is the only shutdown corner in the league, some can argue Nnamdi. How in the world can we even talk about cap percentages when we can sign Rookies with 50 million + guaranteed yet a PROVEN shutdown Probowl Corner cant get the same pay day. There's something wrong with that.

Ima leave this alone now, even if you respond. My position is that Revis should get paid if we're paying players who havent even proved themselves these outrageous contracts. Dude is the best in the game. I dont wanna hear it.

Listen, I want Revis to get paid too. I want him playing for the New York Jets.

I just don't want him to get paid what some reports say that he wants to get paid because I don't think it's in the best interest of the New York Jets.

If he has 3 years left on his deal, he's got to be willing to compromise for a new signing bonus, because the Jets hold the cards.

And, if he doesn't want to find a fair resolution, I have no problem with the Jets refusal to trade him and allowing him to sit on the bench until he's willing to play ball. That's about precedent. If Gilbert was never rewarded for his actions, Revis would be in camp right now.

Who says the Jets have not offered guaranteeed money with a contract yet. Hopefully the posturing will die down and within the next two weeks we get this done.

Frank, I really don't see this getting done anytime soon one way or the other. Don't get me wrong, I love Rex, but his buildup of Revis was a contributing factor to this BS. Then the SB talk...those two things are leverage for Revis and then you have his damn uncle Gilbert spewing pearls of wisdom in his ear. It's just a bad situation.

Frank, I really don't see this getting done anytime soon one way or the other. Don't get me wrong, I love Rex, but his buildup of Revis was a contributing factor to this BS. Then the SB talk...those two things are leverage for Revis and then you have his damn uncle Gilbert spewing pearls of wisdom in his ear. It's just a bad situation.

You just knew something would happen to our Jets being a lifelong Jet fan Bill.

I just don't want him to get paid what some reports say that he wants to get paid because I don't think it's in the best interest of the New York Jets.

If he has 3 years left on his deal, he's got to be willing to compromise for a new signing bonus, because the Jets hold the cards.

And, if he doesn't want to find a fair resolution, I have no problem with the Jets refusal to trade him and allowing him to sit on the bench until he's willing to play ball. That's about precedent. If Gilbert was never rewarded for his actions, Revis would be in camp right now.

what happened to the 3 year 45 million dollar offer we heard about from Jason LaCanfora anyway? Revis wants a long-term deal like that amount all guaranteed-HE and his agents and advisors are the ones being unreasonable.

I'm not buying this part. Every analyst , pundit and so-called expert was fellating Revis last year and this situation was inevitable, no matter what Rex had to say. I do agree about Gilbert though, he was a stubborn bastard when it came to negotiating and would not compromise. You can bet your last dollar that he is telling Revis not to compromise either.

Seconded.

I'm not buying this part. Every analyst , pundit and so-called expert was fellating Revis last year and this situation was inevitable, no matter what Rex had to say. I do agree about Gilbert though, he was a stubborn bastard when it came to negotiating and would not compromise. You can bet your last dollar that he is telling Revis not to compromise either.

It's one thing to have the media talk you up into the best thing since sliced bread, but when your HC becomes your personal PR guy, you have all he ammo you need...Uncle Gilbert is using that...trust me.

It is a lot easier to snap a football than shutdown human gazelles.

Yeah, going up against 350-400 pound athletic freaks is easy. You'd know I'm sure.

He's the best centre in football, easily, probably the best lineman in football. He's the spearhead of our league leading rushing attack and is almost flawless in pass protection. Not only is he as good as Revis, but he's proven it over a sustained period of time and is quite obviously a team first guy.

Yeah, going up against 350-400 pound athletic freaks is easy. You'd know I'm sure.

He's the best centre in football, easily, probably the best lineman in football. He's the spearhead of our league leading rushing attack and is almost flawless in pass protection. Not only is he as good as Revis, but he's proven it over a sustained period of time and is quite obviously a team first guy.

mangold isn't getting paid either. he just said yesterday he's not going to get a new deal for at least the season

neither is Harris

there is no "Moral" choice here. There is no Revis or Mangold comparison. The Jets aren't writing checks to any1.

That's nice and all, but the value of a CB trumps that of a C.

it should also be noted that Mehta and Cannizaro also reported no bonus in earlier deals

are all the Beats lying?

Why should the Jets give Revis a signing bonus? Seriously, he doesn't deserve it. He's only three years into a 6 year deal, and he received a signing bonus for that. He's still got half of that money left to earn. Plus, he's also been proven completely untrustworthy. His word isn't worth sh*t, that much is clear. So the Jets are now put into a position that they need to structure a contract that is specifically built to keep Revis coming to work. And what that means is, a contract based very largely on yearly salaries. Revis doesn't deserve a cent up front if the Jets don't trust him with it, and Revis has nobody to blame but himself for that.

The Jets have much more then just a center coming up for contracts in the nex 2 years.

How many positions does a CB trump?

Apparently at the very least a C, another CB, an ILB, two WRs and a DE, considering those are all starters who only have 1 year left on their deals, as opposed to say, I don't know... three?

Apparently at the very least a C, another CB, an ILB, two WRs and a DE, considering those are all starters who only have 1 year left on their deals, as opposed to say, I don't know... three?

Give me the C, another CB, an ILB, two WRs and a DE.

Thank you!

Why should the Jets give Revis a signing bonus? Seriously, he doesn't deserve it. He's only three years into a 6 year deal, and he received a signing bonus for that.

Also that signing bonus money is pro-rated against the salary cap for years to come. Now he wants even more money taken away from his team mates?

Unbelievable.

Why should the Jets give Revis a signing bonus? Seriously, he doesn't deserve it. He's only three years into a 6 year deal, and he received a signing bonus for that. He's still got half of that money left to earn. Plus, he's also been proven completely untrustworthy. His word isn't worth sh*t, that much is clear. So the Jets are now put into a position that they need to structure a contract that is specifically built to keep Revis coming to work. And what that means is, a contract based very largely on yearly salaries. Revis doesn't deserve a cent up front if the Jets don't trust him with it, and Revis has nobody to blame but himself for that.

most of the time in the NFL, the only money that is real is signing bonus. Guarunteed money in a lockout year = no money. Bonus and salary if the guy gets hurt bad = 1 way ticket to Seattle

the Jets should be able to re-sign the best defender in the league with no bonus money?

The PR campaign these guys have waged is impressive but you don't win football games with PR.

I don't blame Revis, other than beiging so stubborn on Asomugha's target. I don't Blame Woody or Tanny, They need to think how this will effect the whole future and who else they will be able to sign and keep. I blame Al DAvis for making Asomugha's salary closer to a QB than an CB.

Offer Revis a 3 year 21 mill, 8 mill signing bonus option year at 10 mil. THat would make him # 2, give him some change to ride out the strike. There will be a lower cap when they come back to play so this must be considered.

There is none, actually.

The Jets can get this done and not hamper the franchise financially down the road, but they are worried about hurting the feelings of Mangold, Harris, etc.

Guess what? Those players aren't Revis.

No there is no cap, and yes you are missing something.

MEv$ is not worth a C, another CB, an ILB, two WRs and a DE!

The Jets can, and MEvi$ can hold and fvck them again too!

There is none, actually.

The Jets can get this done and not hamper the franchise financially down the road, but they are worried about hurting the feelings of Mangold, Harris, etc.

Guess what? Those players aren't Revis.

Not individually, but as a package...IMO they are more valuable than Mevi$. He is one man. You need to field 11 at a time.

And its not that the Jets dont have guaranteed money. Mevi$ has shown he's a selfish punk, the only way the Jets should give him guaranteed money is if they put a clause in his contract that he has to pay it back if he holds out. He's proved, he's a me before the team guy, who's word means nothing.

I don't blame Revis, other than beiging so stubborn on Asomugha's target. I don't Blame Woody or Tanny, They need to think how this will effect the whole future and who else they will be able to sign and keep. I blame Al DAvis for making Asomugha's salary closer to a QB than an CB.

Offer Revis a 3 year 21 mill, 8 mill signing bonus option year at 10 mil. THat would make him # 2, give him some change to ride out the strike. There will be a lower cap when they come back to play so this must be considered.

Yes, I agree with you.. But look what Al Davis is getting for his money. He has disrupted the CB situation of the NY Jets & probably a few other NFL teams that have great CB's that will want ASO money in the next few years. He calculated what giving ASO all that money would affect other teams with their future salary problems.

Al Davis may be old, & appear stupid at times, but if Aso doesn't produce in 2010, don't be surprised if Al Davis has an "out" in that contract similar to the Lane Kiffin Fiasco. Did Kiffin ever get paid what was coming to him?

I think that our organization anticipated this & that's why we made the trade for "AlCroTraz" & drafted Kyle Wilson. Remember, Revis was a highly touted cb coming out of college. I have faith in the front office & only time will tell.

How do you think Bill Parcell would have handled this problem? I'll bet Revis would be traded to some team where he would probably be playing a lot of defense because the offense couldn't move the ball.

As far as what to offer Revis, I don't think it makes any difference at this point. He is prepared to sit out, & our front office is prepared to move on.

Yes, I agree with you.. But look what Al Davis is getting for his money. He has disrupted the CB situation of the NY Jets & probably a few other NFL teams that have great CB's that will want ASO money in the next few years. He calculated what giving ASO all that money would affect other teams with their future salary problems.

Al Davis may be old, & appear stupid at times, but if Aso doesn't produce in 2010, don't be surprised if Al Davis has an "out" in that contract similar to the Lane Kiffin Fiasco. Did Kiffin ever get paid what was coming to him?

I think that our organization anticipated this & that's why we made the trade for "AlCroTraz" & drafted Kyle Wilson. Remember, Revis was a highly touted cb coming out of college. I have faith in the front office & only time will tell.

How do you think Bill Parcell would have handled this problem? I'll bet Revis would be traded to some team where he would probably be playing a lot of defense because the offense couldn't move the ball.

As far as what to offer Revis, I don't think it makes any difference at this point. He is prepared to sit out, & our front office is prepared to move on.

His out is that 2011 isn't guaranteed and then Asomugha becomes a UFA at age 30.

Now, before everyone goes all crazy, and says "oh, he's our only hope!", just hear me out.

First off, Darrelle Revis is made better by Rex's defensive scheme. NO, I AM NOT saying Revis sucks, simply that he is not the Messiah that everyone thinks he is. I HIGHLY doubt it was just a coincidence that no one besides Jets fans even heard of Darrelle Revis before Rex came along.

Also, this guy is just everything opposite of what the Jets represent. The NYJ are full of team players who will do anything not for themselves, but for the team (Sanchez, Edwards, Cotchery, D'Brick, Harris, Jenkins, etc.). Revis, on the other hand, is being completely selfish and demanding a ridiculous amount of money. I mean, this guy said that he can't support his family on $1 million? Is this guy kidding? If his TRUE goal is to win a SB (because I think I saw a quote where he said that), he would realize that the jets need the extra money to HELP him win a SB.

Another thing, as most of us know already, Revis isn't making as little as he is making everyone in the media think. Yes, this season he is only making $1 million (did I just say only?) , however, his full contract is worth $30 million over 6 years. That's $5 million a season!

And to add on to that, this isn't the first time Revis has held out and whined about his contract. When he was a rookie, someone who was UNPROVEN and hadn't played a SINGLE down in the NFL, he held out for a new deal. The Jets caved in, and now Revis is at it again and won't honor the contract that HE HIMSELF held out for.

I'm sorry, but I think it's time for MEvis to go. He had one great season, and his other seasons were average at best. Until I see more production out of him and a better team-oriented attitude, I don't want to see him on the JN banner nor on the NYJ. His trade value is the highest it will ever be now, and if we could find a stupid GM (Al Davis please come to the main desk), I believe we could help our team not only NOW but the future as well.

What do you guys think?

Also, I know I left some stuff out cause I forgot some of it, so feel free to post some more points.

How many times is the same lame thread going to be done?

No there's no point in trading the best CB in the league for a bunch of crappy draft picks..

It's stupid. We finally have a great player and you guys want to run him out of town. :rolleyes:

How many times is the same lame thread going to be done?

No there's no point in trading the best CB in the league for a bunch of crappy draft picks..

It's stupid. We finally have a great player and you guys want to run him out of town. :rolleyes:

So, we should overpay for him and lose some of our other core players? Smart move!

Archived