Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How many times is the same lame thread going to be done?

No there's no point in trading the best CB in the league for a bunch of crappy draft picks..

It's stupid. We finally have a great player and you guys want to run him out of town. :rolleyes:

Nobody wants to run him out, but if he won't sign anything reasonable, and choses to hold out indefinitely, then there are only two choices.

Sit on him, or trade him.

Trading him will do more for the team, and as far as crappy draft picks go, the Jets are drafting far more good to great players than they are crappy ones, of late.

Q: What is Revis' current (as of 8/9) contract situation?

A: When Revis signed his deal in 2007, it was a 6 year deal that, based on performance metrics Revis has already hit, became voidable after 2010 if Revis chose to pay the Jets a buyback. That means that Revis' contract, as it currently stands, can be described 2 different ways.

1) The deal if Revis does not exercise his buyback. If Revis chooses not to exercise the buyback, he is under contract to the Jets for 2010, 2011 at $800,000 ($650,000 salary plus a miscellaneous bonus of $150,000), and for 2012 at $815,000 ($665,000 salary plus a miscellaneous bonus of $150,000) - all numbers taken from NYJetscap.com.

2) The deal if Revis does exercise his buyback. If Revis exercises his buyback, he will become a Free Agent after the 2010 season. The Jets then can (but don't have to) pick up an option on Revis' 2011 and 2012 seasons. His salary in 2011 would be ~5M. His salary in 2012 could be 9M, 11M, or 15M, depending on certain incentives.

Because he did not report to training camp on time, the 2011 and 2012 salaries are not guaranteed - meaning the Jets can pick up the option for both years and then cut him after 2011, at which point Revis would not get paid his 2012 salary from the Jets.

Either way, the Jets (in theory) control Revis' rights through 2012; the only question is at what cost. If Revis exercises his buyback, the Jets cannot Franchise him.

Q: OK, that's as of August 9. What happens if he doesn't report August 10?

A: If Revis doesn't report August 10, then he will not gain a year of "service time" for the 2010 season, no matter how many games he plays.

Q: So what?

A: Under the CBA, "service time" determines what happens when you hit Free Agency. Under the rules, players with 3 years of service time are Restricted Free Agents.

Since Revis has only played 3 years, then if he does not report on August 10 and buys out his contract at the end of the year, he will become a restricted free agent, not an unrestricted free agent.

Q: How does that impact his contract?

A: If Revis is a restricted free agent, the Jets will be able to retain his rights in 2011 without exercising the buy back, simply by making him a tender offer (they'd tender him at the 1st and 3rd round pick level). They could then let the market set Revis' contract price, and either match (if they found it reasonable) or let him walk for the compensation. If Revis signed a one-year deal with the team for 2011, they could franchise tag him in 2012.

If Revis reports August 10, the only way they'll be able to retain his rights is by exercising the buyback.

Q: Can Revis sue?

A: No. He is under contract. Even if Tannenbaum came up to him after the Colts game and promised him to pay him 20M per season for 10 years, that would not be a legally enforceable promise; to be legally enforceable, the Jets would have had to have received something from Revis in exchange. It cannot happen, and he'd probably have to pick up the tab for the Jets legal fees if he tried.

Q: Can the NFLPA do anything to pressure the Jets to pay or release Revis?

A: No. He's under contract.

Q: Anything else I should know?

A: Yes. Revis is racking up fines of $16,000/day for each day of the holdout. If he holds out all season (Aug 2-Jan 2) that would be 154 days, meaning he would owe the Jets roughly $2.5 million.

what happened to the 3 year 45 million dollar offer we heard about from Jason LaCanfora anyway? Revis wants a long-term deal like that amount all guaranteed-HE and his agents and advisors are the ones being unreasonable.

It has been reported by NO ONE that he wants his entire contract guaranteed. And Jason LaCanfora? He's a poor man's Adam Schefter.

So, we should overpay for him and lose some of our other core players? Smart move!

So you trade him for future draft picks and overpay unproven rookies?? Smart move!

You keep Darrelle Revis. The problem isnt overpayment, its affordability from what I understand. Trust me, I completely disagree with the fact the the Jets cant afford him, but thats whats being thrown out there. But there's no doubt that Darrelle Revis is worth the money, thats not in question here.

Now, before everyone goes all crazy, and says "oh, he's our only hope!", just hear me out.

First off, Darrelle Revis is made better by Rex's defensive scheme. NO, I AM NOT saying Revis sucks, simply that he is not the Messiah that everyone thinks he is. I HIGHLY doubt it was just a coincidence that no one besides Jets fans even heard of Darrelle Revis before Rex came along.

Also, this guy is just everything opposite of what the Jets represent. The NYJ are full of team players who will do anything not for themselves, but for the team (Sanchez, Edwards, Cotchery, D'Brick, Harris, Jenkins, etc.). Revis, on the other hand, is being completely selfish and demanding a ridiculous amount of money. I mean, this guy said that he can't support his family on $1 million? Is this guy kidding? If his TRUE goal is to win a SB (because I think I saw a quote where he said that), he would realize that the jets need the extra money to HELP him win a SB.

Another thing, as most of us know already, Revis isn't making as little as he is making everyone in the media think. Yes, this season he is only making $1 million (did I just say only?) , however, his full contract is worth $30 million over 6 years. That's $5 million a season!

And to add on to that, this isn't the first time Revis has held out and whined about his contract. When he was a rookie, someone who was UNPROVEN and hadn't played a SINGLE down in the NFL, he held out for a new deal. The Jets caved in, and now Revis is at it again and won't honor the contract that HE HIMSELF held out for.

I'm sorry, but I think it's time for MEvis to go. He had one great season, and his other seasons were average at best. Until I see more production out of him and a better team-oriented attitude, I don't want to see him on the JN banner nor on the NYJ. His trade value is the highest it will ever be now, and if we could find a stupid GM (Al Davis please come to the main desk), I believe we could help our team not only NOW but the future as well.

What do you guys think?

Also, I know I left some stuff out cause I forgot some of it, so feel free to post some more points.

to be fair,i beleive the first hold out was caused by the fact that the jets wanted a 6 year deal and revis wanted what every other guy in his draft slot received.a 5 year deal.cant really blame revis for that.

also,to say revis was average at best in his first 2 years,is just plain rediculous.revis had an exceptional year as a rookie,and the guy made the bro bowl in his second year

So you trade him for future draft picks and overpay unproven rookies?? Smart move!

You keep Darrelle Revis. The problem isnt overpayment, its affordability from what I understand. Trust me, I completely disagree with the fact the the Jets cant afford him, but thats whats being thrown out there. But there's no doubt that Darrelle Revis is worth the money, thats not in question here.

Reports are they offered him like a $100 million dollar contract, granted not much was guaranteed, but I doubt its an afford ability problem.

Other reports are he's looking for twice what Aso got in overall contract, you think he's worth the money, fine.

But he's not worth the cap damage that would do for the rest of the team.

There like 6 other starters that need deals also, you know.

vtf,whats going on?

lets keep it real.revis,at one time,was one of those overpaid unproven draft picks,no?

i beleive that thats the main issue here.alot of guys have "doubt" that revis is worth "the money"

Reports are they offered him like a $100 million dollar contract, granted not much was guaranteed, but I doubt its an afford ability problem.

Other reports are he's looking for twice what Aso got in overall contract, you think he's worth the money, fine.

But he's not worth the cap damage that would do for the rest of the team.

There like 6 other starters that need deals also, you know.

If you're signing a life-time style contract and you cant even get a good portion of the money guaranteed then you're just being bent over and given some meat. I dont think Revis would appreciate that.

As for those 6 starters, they'll be bent over too. lol.

If you're signing a life-time style contract and you cant even get a good portion of the money guaranteed then you're just being bent over and given some meat. I dont think Revis would appreciate that.

As for those 6 starters, they'll be bent over too. lol.

I agree that contracts in the NFL are worthless without guaranteed money.

But you are being ignorant if you think MEvi$' demands and holding out despite already getting upfront money has nothing to do with this.

The Jets want him signed, but if he's not going to be reasonable in negotiations on the yearly wage, don't expect them to be reasonable on the guaranteed money.

It's a two way street, give and take, and I love how you feel these multi millionaires are getting screwed to play a game they love.

If they want to hold all the cards, they should have become owners not players!

Please, if they cave into MEvi$, the Jets won't have a chance to screw anybody, there won't be nearly enough cap room to get a bulk of them wet!

Then we'd have a repeat of this year. Revis owes the Jets $2.5M. Jets tender him for $3M or whatever it will be. Net to Revis for 2011 = about $500K = and another year holding out.

Then the Jets could or would franchise him for about $9-10M in 2012. Of course by then Revis would owe the Jets $5M in fines for holding out 2 straight years so his 3-year net from 2010 to 2012 would be in the $4M to $5M range.

Then we'd have a repeat of this year. Revis owes the Jets $2.5M. Jets tender him for $3M or whatever it will be. Net to Revis for 2011 = about $500K = and another year holding out.

Then the Jets could or would franchise him for about $9-10M in 2012. Of course by then Revis would owe the Jets $5M in fines for holding out 2 straight years so his 3-year net from 2010 to 2012 would be in the $4M to $5M range.

Some of you make it seem like holding Revis hostage is a good thing. Say this hold-out is real (and not HK related) and ends up lasting the entire season (doubtful) what good does doing this again next year do? 1) you get nothing 2) you will screw with team chemistry. What I mean by that is there appears to be some discontent amongst players regarding the Washington situation. Some say he was screwed. Players will always stick together, you know. So, essentially they will view the Jets FO as effing Revis over. Does that play well with current, or future, Jets? Nope.

very informative, nice... I still can't believe this is really happening because the way I feel is at the end of the day we need to pay our star players and he is if not our number one star then oneA... so I just don't know but it is terribly sad that we as Jet fans have to think about 24 sitting out a whole season. wow

and I agree with Garb above me in no way, in no way even close is this a remotely good thing for the jets

Now, before everyone goes all crazy, and says "oh, he's our only hope!", just hear me out.

First off, Darrelle Revis is made better by Rex's defensive scheme. NO, I AM NOT saying Revis sucks, simply that he is not the Messiah that everyone thinks he is. I HIGHLY doubt it was just a coincidence that no one besides Jets fans even heard of Darrelle Revis before Rex came along.

Also, this guy is just everything opposite of what the Jets represent. The NYJ are full of team players who will do anything not for themselves, but for the team (Sanchez, Edwards, Cotchery, D'Brick, Harris, Jenkins, etc.). Revis, on the other hand, is being completely selfish and demanding a ridiculous amount of money. I mean, this guy said that he can't support his family on $1 million? Is this guy kidding? If his TRUE goal is to win a SB (because I think I saw a quote where he said that), he would realize that the jets need the extra money to HELP him win a SB.

Another thing, as most of us know already, Revis isn't making as little as he is making everyone in the media think. Yes, this season he is only making $1 million (did I just say only?) , however, his full contract is worth $30 million over 6 years. That's $5 million a season!

And to add on to that, this isn't the first time Revis has held out and whined about his contract. When he was a rookie, someone who was UNPROVEN and hadn't played a SINGLE down in the NFL, he held out for a new deal. The Jets caved in, and now Revis is at it again and won't honor the contract that HE HIMSELF held out for.

I'm sorry, but I think it's time for MEvis to go. He had one great season, and his other seasons were average at best. Until I see more production out of him and a better team-oriented attitude, I don't want to see him on the JN banner nor on the NYJ. His trade value is the highest it will ever be now, and if we could find a stupid GM (Al Davis please come to the main desk), I believe we could help our team not only NOW but the future as well.

What do you guys think?

To what team? Or let me ask this question, Do you really belive that there is a team that thinks he is worth more than $15 mil per season?

But to anwer the question, No the Jets should not trade Revis.

To what team? Or let me ask this question, Do you really belive that there is a team that thinks he is worth more than $15 mil per season?

But to anwer the question, No the Jets should not trade Revis.

NO, **** him. If he doesn;t play for the Jets this year Woody should make believe he's dead and use his contract to line his kids hamster cage. Let this selfish prick sit around and get old. Trade him when he's 40 to an expansion team.

First of all, I just want to say, whoever the OP is quoting must be a brilliant and handsome man.

Second, if Revis holds out all season again, the Jets wouldn't need to franchise him in 2012 - he'd still be a restricted free agent.

More likely, another team will sign Revis to an offer sheet in 2011 (after the CBA issues are cleared up) and we'll either match or take the draft pick compensation instead.

Trading Revis is pure insanity.

He has 3 yrs left on his deal. The Jets only get value from Revis playing for them. They won't get anywhere near his value in trading him. In fact, the Jets won't get any 2010 help from trading him and for the picks they get there is only a remote possibility that any of them would be as good as Revis. But that would only happen a couple of years from now.

Trading Revis is a bad football move and a bad financial move because the Jets would likely be paying similar money to what Revis wants to inferior players.

The only reasonable option is to wait Revis out.

More likely, another team will sign Revis to an offer sheet in 2011 (after the CBA issues are cleared up) and we'll either match or take the draft pick compensation instead.

and what a wonderful day that will be... a long year of watching the Jets keep their best player unsigned out of play. all the second guessing that goes along with not making it as far as last year... To see the franchise's best player since Joe Willy leave on the cheap for draft picks.

Way to own, Woody.

and what a wonderful day that will be... a long year of watching the Jets keep their best player unsigned out of play. all the second guessing that goes along with not making it as far as last year... To see the franchise's best player since Joe Willy leave on the cheap for draft picks.

Way to own, Woody.

:rolleyes:<_<

If the deal is in the range Revis is asking for - 16M per - I'll be stunned. It won't be (unless its structured with funny money on the back end, like a 20M roster bonus in his age 31 season). The more likely scenario is he nets a 10-12M RFA offer and the Jets match.

And if he does get that 16M offer, hey, at least the Jets get picks back.

What they can't do is simply mortgage the future by paying Revis the money he's asking for. If revis comes down from his numbers, the Jets will happily sign him.

IMO Revis is untrade able right now.

Under the current CBA situation no one is going to pay him what he wants. They would be very stupid to.

If Revis doesn’t play I suspect he will sit, with out pay, for two years, and still have 3 years left on his contract

Trading Revis is pure insanity.

He has 3 yrs left on his deal. The Jets only get value from Revis playing for them. They won't get anywhere near his value in trading him. In fact, the Jets won't get any 2010 help from trading him and for the picks they get there is only a remote possibility that any of them would be as good as Revis. But that would only happen a couple of years from now.

Trading Revis is a bad football move and a bad financial move because the Jets would likely be paying similar money to what Revis wants to inferior players.

The only reasonable option is to wait Revis out.

thats not necessarily true.who knows what the trade value could be for a player of revis' caliber.a qulity player and some draft picks could infact,help the jets out more in 2010 than having revis on the couch.speaking of value,what is the value of having revis sit out the year?

lets say 1 of the draft picks they received in trade was in the 10th to 30th pick.they would be compensating that player knowhere near the amount of money that revis wants.more in line to what revis was receiving before the hold out.

thats not necessarily true.who knows what the trade value could be for a player of revis' caliber.a qulity player and some draft picks could infact,help the jets out more in 2010 than having revis on the couch.speaking of value,what is the value of having revis sit out the year?

lets say 1 of the draft picks they received in trade was in the 10th to 30th pick.they would be compensating that player knowhere near the amount of money that revis wants.more in line to what revis was receiving before the hold out.

No player and draft pick is going to help the Jets this season as much as Revis will. A "quality" player is not an All Pro player. A 2011 draft pick is worthless in 2010 and a crapshoot there after.

You're selling an asset at 10 cents on the dollar when there is no need to sell. It makes no sense.

And aren't we talking about multiple 1st rounders? Those combined would be about what Revis is wanted (which the Jets will never pay anyway). So, in essence, the Jets would be paying the same or more for draft picks than they would be willing to pay Revis.

No "quality player" and draft picks are going to help the Jets as much as Revis will.

The only sensible thing is to wait him out. Anything else is pure foolishness.

First of all, I just want to say, whoever the OP is quoting must be a brilliant and handsome man.

Second, if Revis holds out all season again, the Jets wouldn't need to franchise him in 2012 - he'd still be a restricted free agent.

You really think a new CBA will allow players to still only be RFA's until they've completed 6 years? I'm sure it'll go back to 4 like it was. It's only 6 years for UFA eligibility for this 2010 season. Absent a new CBA there isn't even a season in 2011. So since a new CBA is required for a 2011 (and therefore a 2012) season, I think it's a safer assumption that it will be 4 years not 6 and he'll be a UFA in 2012.

The problem the Jets will face with an offer sheet isn't really a poison pill IMO. Rather, it's that it could be from a team with a bottom-5 pick. So yeah we'd get a 1st and a 3rd, but if it was pick #27 in rounds 1 and 3 that's pretty crappy. At least if it was a top-10 pick we could trade down (if so desired) to recoup more than just a single hit-or-miss to replace Revis on the roster. Could turn it into a 1 and a 2 plus the 3.

Hopefully it'll all get hashed out, but it's not looking good. My personal limit, not that anyone on the team is asking, would be in the $12M range and any SB awarded must be returned (all of it, not an amortized amount) if he holds out again. Otherwise there is little doubt this will just happen again in 3 years.

flagrantly stolen from SoFla;

NFL has rich holdout history

Over the years, there have been some big holdouts. John Clayton looks at 10 of the best from the past 20 years.Email Print By John Clayton

ESPN.com

Archive

The days of the mega holdouts are a distant memory. Holdouts are unnecessary evils in the NFL. Howard Slusher, a Los Angeles-based agent in the 1970s and 1980s, earned the reputation of being "Hold 'Em Out" Howie. Like Scott Boras in baseball, Slusher was willing to keep a player out of football a year or longer if the numbers weren't right.

But there still have been some dandies. Here are some of the best over the past 20 years:

1. RB Bo Jackson, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1986): In the 1980s, well before the salary cap, teams had all the control in contract negotiations. There was no free agency. Draft choices either had to accept team offers or hold out. Jackson found the most original way of saying no. The Bucs perennially were drafting near the top of the first round, and few players liked owner Hugh Culverhouse's offers. The Bucs made Jackson a five-year offer. He said no and bolted to baseball. The first pick of the 1986 draft ended up spending his first pro September in a Kansas City Royals uniform instead of a Tampa Bay Bucs uniform. By 1989, he was an All-Star. Still, Jackson wanted to get back on the football field to fulfill his legacy as being one of sports' great athletes. By not signing with the Bucs before the 1987 draft, Jackson created one of the steals in NFL history. The Raiders took him in the seventh round. By 1990, he was a Pro Bowl running back for Al Davis.

2. LB Cornelius Bennett, Indianapolis Colts (1987): Bennett didn't like anything facing him in 1987. He held out 102 days after the Colts invested a first-round choice for him. The NFL went on a 24-day strike. Bennett, one of the best defensive players to come out of Alabama, simply waited. Then Bills general manager Bill Polian thought Bennett was the final piece in the rebuilding of the Bills. So on Oct. 31, 1987, Polian made the trade that put the Bills on the road to four Super Bowl appearances. He traded for the rights to Bennett in a deal that also involved the Rams and Eric Dickerson. After 102 days of holding out, Bennett ended up parlaying his demands for a big contract into a slice of history, ending up with Marv Levy and helping the Bills to one of the most memorable four-year runs in NFL history.

3. RB Eric Dickerson, Los Angeles Rams (1985 and 1987): Like Kobe Bryant, Dickerson was a Hollywood-style athlete. He was a track star who was also a football superstar. In 1984, he rushed for 2,105 yards for the Rams, but, to Rams management, Dickerson was a problem. He held out two games into the 1985 season. In 1987, he walked out on the Rams despite having a contract, leading to his trade to the Colts. The 1987 trade to Indianapolis was a blockbuster, a three-way deal in which Bennett ended up with the Buffalo Bills. Involving four players, three teams and six draft choices, the Halloween trade of 1987 was considered one of the biggest in NFL history. With the Colts, Dickerson was one of the game's best offensive weapons. He averaged 1,419 yards a season in his first three years in Indianapolis, but injuries started catching up to him. Dickerson is the first to admit that franchise running backs wear down after six busy seasons. After six years, his 4.6- and 5.6-yards-per-carry numbers started dropping -- to 4.2 and 4.1 in his seventh and eighth years, respectively. Still, his work stoppages in 1985 and 1987 were classics.

4. DT Sean Gilbert, Washington Redskins (1997): Gilbert staged the most dramatic holdout of the 1997 season. He skipped the entire year. Gilbert had the raw talent to be a dominant force from the defensive tackle position. Admittedly, though, Gilbert had off-the-field problems. He partied too much in his early days with the Rams. The No. 3 pick in the 1991 draft, Gilbert made the Pro Bowl when he was only 23, one of the youngest players to earn that honor at the time. It was too much too soon. During his brief stay in Washington, where he played just one season (1996), Gilbert turned his life around. He became a minister and sat out the 1997 season, content to wait for the right contract offer and spend time in his hometown of Aliquippa, Pa. Larz edit: traded to carolina after hold out and being tagged a second time) the Panthers ended up giving him one of the biggest defensive line contracts in NFL history in 1998. But he never lived up to the billing on the field in Carolina.

5. TE Keith Jackson, Miami Dolphins (1995): His 1995 negotiation was a test of wills. The Dolphins didn't believe he would sit out the season. Jackson wasn't going to sign a deal that didn't appeal to him. So he held out 91 days until the Packers and general manager Ron Wolf pulled off a trade near the October trade deadline. The Dolphins had Eric Green to fill the tight end position. Plus, Jackson was hinting about retiring. The Dolphins didn't believe him. Wolf felt Jackson was one of the rare athletic talents at tight end. Adding him would be the difference in what turned out to be a Super Bowl season. So Wolf pulled the trade. Jackson scrambled to get himself in shape over the final nine weeks of the season. His numbers were great (13 regular-season catches for 142 yards). He was still getting in shape. Once he got in shape, watch out. He had 40 catches the next year, and the move turned out to be one of the best for Wolf in establishing the Packers again as a Super Bowl team.

6. WR Joey Galloway, Seattle Seahawks (1999): Credit Mike Holmgren, the Seahawks' coach and general manager at the time, and Galloway for being stubborn and hard-willed. Galloway was one of the game's best deep threats for Seattle. But in 1999, negotiations for a new contract were going nowhere. Galloway wanted something slightly less than the $5 million a year given to Packers wide receiver Antonio Freeman. The Seahawks had a slightly smaller number in mind. So Galloway held out for half of the 1999 season. This was a nasty holdout. After that season, the Seahawks dealt Galloway to the Cowboys for two first-round picks. Injuries prevented Galloway from having the kind of impact in Dallas that was expected.

7. WR Carl Pickens, Cincinnati Bengals (1999): This 1999 holdout was strange. Pickens hated playing for the Bengals. Cincinnati management didn't like his continued talk about demanding a trade. The result was a 41-day holdout until Sept. 9 that ended up with a stunning result. Pickens signed a five-year, $23.25 million contract even though he said he would never play for the Bengals again. The next year, Pickens expressed disappointment that ownership retained Bruce Coslett as head coach, and he was traded to the Titans. Pickens' constant verbal abuse of the organization led the Brown family to put language in future contracts to make players pay penalties if they leveled such blasts.

8. QB Kelly Stouffer, Seattle Seahawks (1987): Stouffer was a surprise first-round pick by the Cardinals in 1987. His agents never liked any of the offers made by the Cardinals, so they advised him to hold out the season. Stouffer was willing to sit out the year and get back into the 1988 draft. The Seahawks pulled off a trade with the Cardinals, gave Stouffer the contract he wanted and let him try to develop as the team's franchise quarterback. The unique follow-up to this story is that one of Stouffer's agents, Mike Blatt, ended up brokering the deal in which John Nordstrom sold the Seahawks to Blatt's friend, Ken Behring. For the Seahawks, Stouffer wasn't much more than a raw quarterback who completed slightly more than 50 percent of his passes. Still, his holdout changed the face of the franchise with what followed.

9. QB Philip Rivers, San Diego Chargers (2004): Let's play "What if?" What if Rivers held out 18 days instead of 25 in 2004? Had he showed up a week earlier, he would have been in competition for the Chargers' starting job. Had that happened, Drew Brees might not have had a Pro Bowl season and San Diego might not have been last year's Cinderella story, finishing with a 12-4 record. Remember, the Chargers selected Eli Manning against his wishes. Less than an hour after the pick, they traded Manning to the Giants in order to get Rivers as their quarterback of the future. But Rivers held out until Aug. 23, despite threats by ownership that it wouldn't change its offer. Brees is expected to start this year, and Rivers is expected to be the backup. It sets up an interesting decision after the season as to which quarterback will stay. What if?

10. OT Walter Jones, Seahawks (2002-04): Jones had three of the most unbelievable holdouts of recent vintage. Like Orlando Pace in St. Louis, Jones felt as though he was a prisoner of the franchise tag. Being designated the Seahawks' franchise player prevented him from receiving a $10 million-plus signing bonus. Still, the 20 percent increases each year made Jones among the highest-paid players in the league. Jones missed three consecutive training camps, holding out until the start of the regular season. Despite not having a training camp, Jones made three consecutive Pro Bowls. Last year was particularly amazing. He didn't even have a training camp practice, yet he didn't allow a sack during the regular season. Jones will be in camp this summer with a seven-year, $52.5 million contract.

7/10 led to trades, and revis aint a rookie so if you throw out bo jackson and rivers it's 7/8 lengthy hold outs ended in trades

hmmmmmmm............

if he isn't in camp by the opener, he's probably played his last game as a jet

the longer it goes, the more likely he gets traded, simple as that, it doesn't matter at all if you think they "should" or "want to" it eventually becomes a business decision

I voted NO for today, but would change my vote to yes if the season opens with him holding out

Again I would ask, what team do you think believes that Revis is worth more than 15 mil per year?

Revis has taken a position soley on principle I do not think he is signable unless he is willing to relax his poition.

No player and draft pick is going to help the Jets this season as much as Revis will. A "quality" player is not an All Pro player. A 2011 draft pick is worthless in 2010 and a crapshoot there after.

You're selling an asset at 10 cents on the dollar when there is no need to sell. It makes no sense.

And aren't we talking about multiple 1st rounders? Those combined would be about what Revis is wanted (which the Jets will never pay anyway). So, in essence, the Jets would be paying the same or more for draft picks than they would be willing to pay Revis.

No "quality player" and draft picks are going to help the Jets as much as Revis will.

The only sensible thing is to wait him out. Anything else is pure foolishness.

while i agree that no quality players and draft picks are going to help the jets as much as revis will.thats probably as close to a fact as they come under one's oppinion.but thats only if you beleive revis wont sit the year.in which case he does not help the jets at all

i am not selling revis 10 cents on the dollar at all.all i am saying is put him on the block if he plans to sit out,and listen to offers.if they get a good deal.great.you trade him.if not,he sits the year anyways.only revis knows for sure if he will sit out,or not.at some time,tanny will be forced to make an educated guess on wether revis will sit or not.if tanny beleives revis wont sit out,he waites him out.if tanny beleives that he will sit out,he will then have to make a descision based on whats best for the jets.

let me ask you this.what has better value?a player coming off a monster year who held out 3 weeks in traiing camp?or a guy who held out an entire year with 3 years left on his contract?

i am all for getting revis into camp within reason.but it is what it is.if it isnt going to happen,better check your options

vtf,whats going on?

lets keep it real.revis,at one time,was one of those overpaid unproven draft picks,no?

i beleive that thats the main issue here.alot of guys have "doubt" that revis is worth "the money"

Yeah, Revis at one time was one of those overpaid rookies. The problem is this, he's not unproven anymore, matter of fact, hes the best in the world right now, no? He may have doubters now that he's worth the money, but if it didnt matter when he was a rookie then why should it matter now...especially if he's "proven"?

Archived