Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DireJet's solution: We should have platooned him. Put him in only in rushing situations. Boy, the defense wouldn't know what hit them.

You can look at both sides of the coin all you want, but when you're a liability in pass-blocking (just not below average, a liability), you have no use anymore. We couldn't just allow Faneca to give up the most sacks in the league because he can open holes for Greene.

If you sucked at 50 % of your job, would you expect to keep it, even if you excelled at the other 50 %?

hahahahahahaha

I NEVAH SAID DAT!

I said we couldn't pay a one-dimensional lineman that much. At the same time, I respect what he did in the running game last year. And what he did for Brick and Mangold. I'm not going to sh*t on the guy.

I felt it was totally contrived.

Why was our owner on the front-line of all this?

Why wasn't Mr. T doing the rounds?

When was the last time Woody gave this many live interviews in one day?

It just stunk of tiresome meddling.

BECAUSE REVIS ISN'T ACCEPTING OFFERS FROM THE JETS. REFUSED SITDOWNS WITH WOODY AND REX.

Jets have no other choice than to go public and drag Revis through the mud.

Your point was that it was a cost cutting move, when in reality the JETS are still paying him a ton of cash NOT to play with them this year.

So you have been badly mis-informed by the media, not the first or last time it will happen to someone.

Are they not saving money by abolishing the final two years of the deal?

Regardless, please let the Faneca madness END.

BECAUSE REVIS ISN'T ACCEPTING OFFERS FROM THE JETS. REFUSED SITDOWNS WITH WOODY AND REX.

Jets have no other choice than to go public and drag Revis through the mud.

Revis' agent said the proposed meeting was a "blatant lie."

I'm not sure who is telling the truth, but this isn't the first time the Jets have been called liars.

Florio's a sensationalist, no doubt.

Still, the quote — assuming Little Mikey jotted it down correctly — proves there's a definite disconnect going on.

Shwartz had to put that out as a rebuttal to Woody's media day. Picking Florio will probably work against them though.

Nothing was getting done in private, it had to go public and get dirty to make people move. Revis is all out of options, its only a matter of time.

Wow, reading this thread wasted far too much time.

Newsflash:

The NFL is a business.

There seem to be far too many who don't grasp this lone fact. These contract negotiations are no different then a real estate deal, or any other contract.

Revis is overvaluing himself. The market for Cornerbacks can only be determined upon the Return on Investment. If Revis represents 1/6th of the maximum payroll, then he must be worth 1/6th of the value of the 2010 Jets Team. He simply isn't. The issues we have here are that we can't determine the market(i.e. Salary Cap, holdout of 2011, etc.), so therefore it would be extremely foolish to offer a contract that is higher than the rest of the CB's contracts based upon the market value of yesterday, like Aso's.

Paying Revis $16 mil per would be like purchasing a McMansion today for early 2006 prices in our turbulent housing market. The fact that the jets approached Revis with any offer should be considered above and beyond what they had to do. Those who are claiming that the Jets are being greedy obviously have no clue what they are talking about. The Jets were being shrewd, not cheap. Shrewd businesses tend to experience success. Cheap businesses close their doors after a few years.

Anyhow, Revis could very well be stepping on his own toes here. Whether the Jets win or lose without him, Revis has shown all of his cards. He is not to be trusted. The poor kid will never get a deal from this point forward where he will have any leverage.

I stand behind Woody 100% on the Revis issue. If Revis were smart he would get his a$$ in camp. At this point, his value is sinking everyday, regardless of what he does on the field.

I personally wouldn't care if he were a Jet past 2012. As a matter of fact it would probably be best if he wasn't. Who needs a player who holds out on a contract that he held out for, to begin with. If Revis doesn't like his current deal, he has only himself to blame. The fact that the Jets were willing to negotiate speaks volumes about the organization.

It'll be a good year either way, regardless of one selfish individual.

You would make a great Eagles fan. Oh, THE SALARY CAP!Like my Iggles pal, you have been brainwashed that there's something noble about restricting a man's salary.There's no trophy for that, no matter how much some idiot in the press pretends otherwise.

Well, fvkc that salary cap worrywart stuff sideways. If this spoiled brat Richie Rich Woody Johnson's latest Big Idea about money management then he should've stayed home and counted his Johnson & Johnson Bandaid money rather than have bought an NFL team in New York. SO NOW, after spending hlaf a billion to overcharcge us all and screwing us without lube on PSLs , NOW, HE'S WORRIED ABOUT MONEY? GTFOH.

Yes, it's a business about winning football games. Everything else is freaking details. And if the jets are gonna win anything that matters they will do it with #24 on the field. Unless you'd like to add another year to this franchise's futility of coulda shoulda woulda suckage.

Success is the art of the possible; whining is bullsheet. Right now our pussy of an owner is more about whining that success.

I'm starting to become more and more convinced that a deal will not happen with Revis as long as those two scumbags (Schwartz and Feinsod) represent him. And even though the Jets with Revis are better than the Jets without Revis, I'm starting to care less and less if he comes back. Even 24 hours ago that would have been inconceivable for me, but I simply and fed up with his agents and I simply don't care anymore.

You would make a great Eagles fan. Oh, THE SALARY CAP!Like my Iggles pal, you have been brainwashed that there's something noble about restricting a man's salary.There's no trophy for that, no matter how much some idiot in the press pretends otherwise.

Well, fvkc that salary cap worrywart stuff sideways. If this spoiled brat Richie Rich Woody Johnson's latest Big Idea about money management then he should've stayed home and counted his Johnson & Johnson Bandaid money rather than have bought an NFL team in New York. SO NOW, after spending hlaf a billion to overcharcge us all and screwing us without lube on PSLs , NOW, HE'S WORRIED ABOUT MONEY? GTFOH.

Yes, it's a business about winning football games. Everything else is freaking details. And if the jets are gonna win anything that matters they will do it with #24 on the field. Unless you'd like to add another year to this franchise's futility of coulda shoulda woulda suckage.

Success is the art of the possible; whining is bullsheet. Right now our pussy of an owner is more about whining that success.

Do me a favor and try reading what I posted. It looks like you were responding to it, but I can't see where in the world you got the idea that I had the opinion of a salary cap being a "noble" thing.

truth is, i despise any regulation in markets. Minimum Wage, welfare, salary caps, bailouts, fiat money, they all need to go.

The salary cap, or lack of one this year, is a reality when dealing with the market for NFL players. Like it or not, it is a component that simply exists. I do not side with Woody Johnson on PSL's, which is why I wouldn't purchase one. I agree with him that paying Darrelle Revis $16 million per season (if that is really the number he demands) would be a completely foolish decision. I simply don't get the hypocrisy that is emanating from the pro revis camp.

On one hand they want to pay 1 player approximately 1/6th of the teams payroll. on the other hand, they make comments disparaging Woody Johnson for having so much money.

I don't get it.

BTW, Football is not a business about winning football games. It's about selling tickets, merchandise, television rights, advertising, and your beloved PSL's. Winning means nothing to these owners, unless it helps them sell any of the above.

Darrelle simply doesn't provide 1/6th of the teams value, therefore he should not be paid 1/6th of its payroll.

From a business sense I stand behind Woody 100%

From a fan's perspective I simply do not think Revis is as good as he demands to be paid, so I stand behind Woody 100% from that perspective too.

Paying Revis $16 million per season would almost ensure that the Jets would not be competitive the entire time Revis was on the team after this year, especially if there is a salary cap.

I would love to see Revis get his a$$ in camp, but not at the expense of future years' teams. I watch the Jets every year. I applaud Mike T and Woody for what they are trying to do, even if their motivations are derived from something different than that of a fan's.

Agreed - but if he holds out in 2011, he'll only have 3 years of service time heading into 2012, making him a RFA even under the 4 year rules.

Yep. Unless the new CBA goes in a drastically unexpected direction, there is almost no possibility Revis is a UFA in 2012. In fact, given that the Jets are nearly certain to buy out the last two years, he is almost certainly under contract through the end of 2012 so there won't be any offer sheets from other teams for him until 2013 at the earliest.

The next problem for him then is the Franchise Tag if that survives the next CBA.

Again, everything is dependent on the new CBA but unless it changes, Revis has a very good possibility of having NO escape plan, which makes his position very mystifying. So all those people cheering for Revis to get paid by some other team as a means of validating their mancrushes may be waiting a very long time for salvation.

Its probably because PSL's have little to do with the salary cap. If there were no salary cap, Woody would be glad to open his wallet for Revis. He's already done so for pricey free agents.

I don't think that's the point some people are trying to make. For years, all we've been seeing on the boards by people is how greedy Woody is, and a snake he is for the PSLs and how he's treated the fan base. Now, all of a sudden, people seem to be forgetting all of the lies and deceptions that this organization has been getting famous for the last several years. All because they think they're now telling the truth. Yeah, right.

He tried to sit down with Revis and wants to, Revis camp said no.

According to two people, Woody and Tanny, who are well known in the art of deception. You want to believe everything they say because of your new-found hatred for Revis that you're buying into their smear campaign hook, line, and sinker.

+1

The message would therefore be: hold out and the Jets will reward you by trading you to a team willing to cave in to your demands.

I've been saying this since day one. If he won't sign a reasonable contract let him rot for the next 3-4 years!

According to two people, Woody and Tanny, who are well known in the art of deception. You want to believe everything they say because of your new-found hatred for Revis that you're buying into their smear campaign hook, line, and sinker.

What smear campaign? :huh:

MEvi$ is asking for $16 Mill per for 6 to 7 years, and he wants about $45 mill of that guaranteed.

Woody and Tanny have both said the $16 mill per is out of the question.

Woody wanted to meet with MEvi$ and his agents and he was told no.

I guess stating the facts is some how smearing now aye. :blink:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2010/08/11/2010-08-11_40m_gap_guarantees_big_trouble.html

read the article. if that's true then he is a greedy piece of sh*t and it's time to say goodbye to darelle revis ever being a jet again. how do you turn down a 10 year 120 million dollar contract? just because the yearly average isn't higher than aso's contract? it's ******* 3 times the total value. and the jets stance is agree to the total value and then they will talk how much of it is guaranteed. sounds fair......but if their stance is that it's 16.5 million/year or nothing then this guy is a turd.

Archived