Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

Hard to tell either way. The "this source has never been wrong" card is a funny one. What's next, "this wrong has only been wrong once".

He could be BSing. Seems like a risk on his part though.

What exactly is he risking? Reporters and sources are wrong lots of times. The guy's not even a reporter, hes a columnist. Its not like he's going to have to worry about ruining his name and his reputation if he's wrong...He never has to report anything ever again if he chooses not to.

Also, who is his source that none of the real NFL reporters seem to use or put any credit to? What 3rd party would possibly obtain any significant knowledge that would make him so sure an announcement is coming when the two sides are involved in an airtight media blackout? It just doesn't add up logicially.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I dont know how much stock id put into Tim Cowlishaw over a bunch of NFL and JETS reporters who are all much more connected in Jets and league-wide sources than Cowlishaw is. This definitely is free advertising for Cowlishaw though... He claims the announcement will take place Weds or Thurs...Thats 3 or 4 days away. And due to the media blackout, neither the Jets or Revis can deny it outright. Even if this thing is completely made up, I guarantee a lot of people around this nation with an interest in the Revis negotiations will be hearing/reading a lot about Tim Cowlishaw these next few days.

If he's not BSing us, he had to find out in a more or less unconventional way. The news probably found him, I doubt he was sniffing around for Revis news.

And like Max said he has a lot to lose to be pulling our chain. High risk high reward, he has to know something.

Jets beat writers are shooting it down for 2 reasons they're bitter and they've probably been taking it in the a$$ from there respective papers for not knowing anything yet. So they all had to do their due diligence and put a phone call into the jets and get the 'no plans at this time' response.

What exactly is he risking? Reporters and sources are wrong lots of times. The guy's not even a reporter, hes a columnist. Its not like he's going to have to worry about ruining his name and his reputation if he's wrong...He never has to report anything ever again if he chooses not to.

You kidding? His rep will definitely be ruined.

Not to mention he's really sticking to his guns. No way he'd be doing that if it was a hunch.

He has a lot to lose because reporters are petty. If they think that he was not honest in leaking this, they will have a field day. It will be bad for him, he will get invited to the media buffet after all the good food is gone. Imagine the horror.

You kidding? His rep will definitely be ruined.

Not really. Reporters like Schefter and the bunch have been wrong multiple times before when it comes to contract negotiations and such....And its their job to be right. Cowlishaw is a columnist out in Texas...How will his life be affected at all if this report is false?

He has a lot to lose because reporters are petty. If they think that he was not honest in leaking this, they will have a field day. It will be bad for him, he will get invited to the media buffet after all the good food is gone. Imagine the horror.

And after the media rips him a new one...The entire nation will have heard of Tim Cowlishaw and I guarantee it gets more people reading his blog, his columns, his whatever than he has now. Its like the old addage, positive attention is better than negative attention, but negative attention trumps no attention. Even if he just heard a slight whisper, he's using this as an opportunity to get his name out there.... And whether he's right or wrong, its working.

Not really. Reporters like Schefter and the bunch have been wrong multiple times before when it comes to contract negotiations and such....And its their job to be right. Cowlishaw is a columnist out in Texas...How will his life be affected at all if this report is false?

Reporting and predictions are two different things. Schefter has guessed on landing spots for players and has been wrong. But I don't remember one time where he said a deal was almost done and it not getting done within a week.

And after the media rips him a new one...The entire nation will have heard of Tim Cowlishaw and I guarantee it gets more people reading his blog, his columns, his whatever than he has now. Its like the old addage, positive attention is better than negative attention, but negative attention trumps no attention. Even if he just heard a slight whisper, he's using this as an opportunity to get his name out there.... And whether he's right or wrong, its working.

Which would explain why reporters do this all the time right? Oh wait, this never happens? Hmm Cowlishaw must be brilliant.

Which would explain why reporters do this all the time right? Oh wait, this never happens? Hmm Cowlishaw must be brilliant.

haha. Reporters do do this all the time actually. They hear something from a source that would be big news, and they rush to be the 1st one to spread the word.

Que The Crusher...

Rex said he would play Week 1 if he was signed the night before. It doesn't matter whether he plays Friday or not--he's not a rook, he knows the system...

The next day rex came and took that statement back.

I only made this post because I don't care how good you are... you can't just sit out a month longer then your teammates play a half against scrubs then show up vs anquan boldin and be at your best.

Phone call from Manish Mehta to Mike Tannenbaum:

Mehta: Mike T., the big man, how ya doing! Listen, I hear Tim Cowlishaw is saying you guys are close to a deal.

Mike T.: Yes, we're very excited about the progress we've made with Mangold, he's really a key part of our offense.

Mehta: No, the other deal. Revis.

Mike T.: Who?

Mehta: REVIS.

Mike T.:.......Do you not understand the concept of a "media blackout?"

Mehta: Mike, if there's any truth to this, and that Dallas-based Around the Horn prick knows something we don't....

Mike T.: Manish, Manish come on! You'll know when you know.

Mehta: So there's no truth to this?

Mike T.:..............

Mehta: If you say nothing, I'll assume Cowlish*t is making this up.

Mike T.: [Hangs Up]

Mehta: Sweet. [Turns over in bed]. Jenny. JENNY.

Jenny Vrentas: What?

Mehta: Its not true, just wanted to let you know. We're in the clear.

Vrentas: Ok, whatever.

Mehta: Also, don't tell anyone about, uh, last night.....

Vrentas: It happens to lot's of guys. Don't worry about it.

Mehta: Time to sign on to Twitter....

Mehta: Mike T., the big man, how ya doing! Listen, I hear Tim Cowlishaw is saying you guys are close to a deal.

Mike T.: Yes, we're very excited about the progress we've made with Mangold, he's really a key part of our offense.

Mehta: Mike, if there's any truth to this, and that Dallas-based Around the Horn prick knows something we don't....

it's funny cause it's true.

That theory is a far reach. The Jets would probably rather have Revis than 2 1st round picks from both an on-field and monetary standpoint. We know what we have in Revis, and we'd have to negotiate and give big money to both of those 1st rd picks as well. We're better off keeping Revis, even if he holds out for a year.

Agreed, but interesting nonetheless. Would work into the no one person is bigger than the team theory.

I only made this post because I don't care how good you are... you can't just sit out a month longer then your teammates play a half against scrubs then show up vs anquan boldin and be at your best.

Revis missed all but one week of training camp as a rookie and started week one. He'll be fine.

Gold....you're getting better and better 8-0 POTWN (if there IS still such a thing)

LAST NITE ON SNY BRIAN CUSTER ADVISED THERE WAS NO TRUTH TO THIS STORY BUT THAT JETS WERE PROGRESSING WITH MANGOLD'S PEOPLE

:beer:

Along with every other Jets beat writer. All this means is that they spoke to tanny after Cowlishaws tweet and Tanny said 'no plans at this time' Aka 'no comment'.

I still haven't heard a good enough reason for Cowlishaw to say this and then defend his credibility the way he did to be lying about it.

Either way, we should worry about getting him signed before starting hypotheticals about when he'll play. I'm sure Revis has kept himself in shape, and it's not unheard of that a player doesn't play preseason and still be ready for the regular season. (See LT every other year than this one)

On Darrelle Revis and the Twitter world and a lost day off!

Posted at 6:53 AM on Mon., Aug. 23, 2010

Tim Cowlishaw / Columnist

On Sunday, I had no column scheduled to write for the Morning News. I didn't need to overdose on sports in order to get ready for a week of "Around the Horn" on ESPN because the show is on vacation all week.

Other than Skype-ing my daughter for her 19th birthday and taking my son to the driving range, I didn't have any grand plans. The only thing I was going to "tweet" about was how much I liked the first 75-80 pages of a novel called "Shadow of the Wind."

My quiet day ended when I obtained some information early in the afternoon about Darrelle Revis, the Jets' fabulous cornerback who has been holding out from camp in order to get a new contract.

The source of information was good, someone I have used before. Beyond that, I won't go into further details.

Originally I was told the signing would be "probably Wednesday or Saturday." That seemed strange that there would be a possible range of three days in the situation.

But when I found out one other aspect of the story that made me believe it had to be true, Wednesday made a lot more sense than Saturday. Since the 140-character nature of Twitter doesn't lend itself to expanding on one's thoughts, I just typed "probably Wednesday."

Even limiting myself to that, "probably Wednesday" sounded weird, like I was hedging my bets. I wasn't trying to suggest there's a deal-breaker involved, but who knows? Things of that nature happen all the time. Still, I felt like "probably Wednesday" was the most accurate information I could provide at the time.

Once that one tweet was out there, my chances of getting much of the day off were shot (although I did manage to squeeze in three games at Top Golf with Ben and I didn't forget to skype Rachel).

It didn't surprise me that my information was getting shot down right and left by those covering the Jets. As a beat writer covering the Cowboys for six years, I did a lot of "shooting down" and this was in the early days of ESPN and long before the world was wired and Twitter came along.

I talked to ESPN's Chris Mortensen and the New York Daily News' Gary Myers on the phone, a couple of guys I have known for 20 years or more. I exchanged texts or, in some cases, tweets with others I have had long relationships with.

They were supportive if curious as to how this information was coming from a Dallas-based general columnist. Understandably curious.

As for those who said I was making it up to get more followers: Does that sound like a good thing to do? I've worked for The Dallas Morning News for more than 20 years, ESPN for another seven. Is just making stuff up and having no clue about it a big part of my history?

Getting predictions wrong, yeah, I've done that two or three times. Two or three thousand times, I mean.

Throwing stuff against the wall with no idea whether or not it might stick? Not a real good way to maintain any shred of credibility.

The messages coming in from Jets' fans were pretty much non-stop and the only surprising thing about any of that was how many of them seemed to suggest they didn't think Revis would sign until well into the season, if at all.

How often does that happen? How often does that work?

Emmitt Smith got extra guaranteed money by sitting two games in 1993. But that was the league MVP-to-be and he had to get somewhat lucky in rolling the dice that the Cowboys would go 0-2 to Washington and Buffalo and that Coach Jimmy Johnson would go so crazy about it that Jerry Jones would have no choice but to cave in.

As great a player as Revis is, that's a big gamble to take.

Regardless, it does not appear that he is going to roll those dice. All signs indicate that the Revis saga, a major storyline for HBO's "Hard Knocks'' special on the Jets, ends this week.

And then I can tweet more about "Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon ... even if it doesn't quite reach the same audience that Darrelle Revis does.

On Darrelle Revis and the Twitter world and a lost day off!

Posted at 6:53 AM on Mon., Aug. 23, 2010

Tim Cowlishaw / Columnist

But when I found out one other aspect of the story that made me believe it had to be true, Wednesday made a lot more sense than Saturday. Since the 140-character nature of Twitter doesn't lend itself to expanding on one's thoughts, I just typed "probably Wednesday."

Is anyone else as curious as me as to what this particular statement means...?

That plays into what I said earlier.

Everyone keeps asking how would Cowlishaw knows something the Jets beat writers who are around the team everyday don't even know. Cowlishaw probably wasn't looking for Darrelle Revis news. Why would he be? The news came to him, probably right place/right time type of luck. Someone he knows has some behind the scenes information. Hardknocks scheduling would be the first thought that comes mind when reading that statement. But it could mean anything.

It means his twitter limitations did not allow for him to say either wed or saturday, so he threw out probably wednesday. He is clarifying it here to add the saturday aspect.

I was mind of wondering that myself when I first read it, although at this point it's probably safe to assume he was basing that off of the airing of Hard Knocks. Obviously a Wednesday announcement wouldn't make it onto that weeks show, but it would certainly be a nice plug for the show. Not that I believe the Jets would schedule their announcement for that purpose, I'm guessing that was his line of thinking.

It means his twitter limitations did not allow for him to say either wed or saturday, so he threw out probably wednesday. He is clarifying it here to add the saturday aspect.

No, the other aspect had to do with Wednesday. The source being date specific wasn't the end all be all that it was credible. His source said something that he's not tellign us.

I was mind of wondering that myself when I first read it, although at this point it's probably safe to assume he was basing that off of the airing of Hard Knocks. Obviously a Wednesday announcement wouldn't make it onto that weeks show, but it would certainly be a nice plug for the show. Not that I believe the Jets would schedule their announcement for that purpose, I'm guessing that was his line of thinking.

The show airs on Wednesday. They usually don't use footage after the Sunday before it. Thats why I don't think this has anything to do with Hardknocks. Unless the deal gets done today.

No way HBO can cut up footage the day of and put it in their show for 10pm. Sure, they could replay footage of a presser, but to build in a story line and narrative leading up to it? I don't know, maybe they can - EY could probably answer that question better.

The show airs on Wednesday. They usually don't use footage after the Sunday before it. Thats why I don't think this has anything to do with Hardknocks. Unless the deal gets done today.

No way HBO can cut up footage the day of and put it in their show for 10pm. Maybe they can, I don't know but I doubt it. Maybe EY could answer that question better.

I'm not a doctor or anything, but I'd find it kind of hard to believe that HBO doesn't have the capability to do a quick live lead-in to the taped show.

Archived