Darrelle Revis Holdout: MERGED

JonEJet

If I was an owner of an NFL team here is how I would deal with holdouts.....

Fax a deal to the agent that is fair and reasonable. Indicate this is the best deal you will get from us. Clearly state on the offer that the offer expires in 24 hours. Provide a copy of offer to favorite reporter.

24 hours later fax the exact same offer except with all dollar amounts being 1% less. Once again clearly state that this is the best offer you will get from us and it expires in 24 hours. Provide copy to favorite reporter.

24 hours after that fax a third offer this time with all dollar amounts being 1% less than the second offer.

Repeat every day until holdout ends or my offer drops down to as low as the league minimum allows.

Once or twice as an NFL owner I would lose a player to an indefinite holdout. But with every other player they will be at camp on time cause they will know I am willing to have a player rot or lose someone to being redrafted.

Of course this is predicated on actually offering a reasonable offer in the first place.

So how much of your down time do you spend pretending what it would be like to be rich and powerful? :lol:

You're out of your mind if you think this would actually be effective. What you'd really be doing is flushing assets down the toilet.

If Bob Kraft puts your team up for sale, I hope you have the winning bid.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All remains quiet between Revis, Jets

Posted by Mike Florio on August 21, 2010 5:12 PM ET

Nine days into their meaningless, unenforceable, and (from the perspective of someone who covers this stuff for a living) inherently frustrating agreement not to talk about the negotiations, there are no signs that the Jets and cornerback Darrelle Revis are getting any closer to striking a deal. And if they're making any progress, no one is talking.

But that won't stop us from trying to find something to write about regarding the situation.

We continue to see periodic references to the notion that Revis turned down a 10-year, $120 million offer, along with speculation that Revis has demanded more than $160 million, apparently by taking Nnamdi Asomugha's $16.5 million average and multiplying it by 10.

Folks seem to be hung up on total dollars because the Jets have taken the odd position that they want to strike a deal on total dollars before even discussing guaranteed money. But guaranteed money -- specifically in the current uncapped climate, signing bonus -- is and has been the primary impediment. The Jets, by all appearances, were hiding behind the supposed gulf in total dollars in order to avoid meaningful discussion or scrutiny regarding the issue of truly guaranteed money, possibly since the Jets employed a heavy dose of smoke and mirrors when crafting the guaranteed money paid to left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson.

So as we've said before, and as we'll likely say again (especially if both sides continue to honor their maddening non-binding agreement not to talk), the two sides should be focused on guaranteed money first. Once that part of the deal is reached, total dollars will be a no-brainer, especially since the Jets can put some phony money into the back end of the deal to get Revis to a total of $160 million, if that's what he truly wants.

We think that the more accurate reality is that the Jets want to hinge a lot of the money on future health and performance, using a Shawn Andrews-style of "pay as you go," which ultimately doesn't give Revis the kind of protection against a serious injury that last year's Leon Washington leg snap has caused the cornerback to covet.

This assessment reflects my views on the subject. If the Jets want to get the guy into camp, they need to discuss guaranteed money first. Total compensation doesn't mean sh*t, and the Jets and Revis' camp both know this. Hammer out the upfront money, and then they can construct a deal that pays Revis the national deficit plus $1 in the final year of the deal. dry.gif

This assessment reflects my views on the subject. If the Jets want to get the guy into camp, they need to discuss guaranteed money first. Total compensation doesn't mean sh*t, and the Jets and Revis' camp both know this. Hammer out the upfront money, and then they can construct a deal that pays Revis the national deficit plus $1 in the final year of the deal. dry.gif

I, for one, expect a player to produce and earn the money.

you can't say it doesn't mean anything. unrealistic incentive bonuses don't mean anything, but a salary is real money, paid out in game checks in actual US dollars

the only way it doesn't mean anything if it a player suffers a career ending injury,(which they can insure against) or under performs and gets cut. I root for the team, not the agents or the players wives, so I want the team to be in a postion to replace the asset and move on in such a scenario, screw the poor millionaire who is set for life at the age of 27

and screw florio, btw, for making up a story just because there is none.

lol at the coment that it is "unenforceable"

go bother the colts about the manning deal

because players don't want to not get paid because the rest of the team sucks

Point being, as an owner, for incentives that are individual in nature, you get this much. For team incentives, this much, and make team incentives more so that's the contract they want.

No I in team.

I'm so tired of this story as it is...and we all KNOW what's going to happen anyway. He's going to sign a few days before the season starts and then he'll get injured and will be out for the year anyway because he's too busy trying to be a crappy rap star

Thank you baby Jesus!

Edit: Adam Schefter said the news is false. How the hell would he get a scoop like that? He writes for the Dallas Morning news mostly about Nascar and Hockey.

Schefter said in his opinion it was false. The dude is on around the horn all the time si I thought he might have some connections. Oh well. I guess this can be locked until somebody else supports it.

Schefter said in his opinion it was false. The dude is on around the horn all the time si I thought he might have some connections. Oh well. I guess this can be locked until somebody else supports it.

TheJetsStream

Contrary 2 internet rumor, #Jets & Revis have no plans 2have contract announcement on HBO this wk. Communication lines remain open tho #nfl

I trust Manish Mehta more than Tim Cowlishaw. Hopefully as Thor said, where there's smoke there's fire.

I don't know how Cowlishaw would be privy to anything other football writers and Jets beat writers wouldn't be but he doesn't seem like the type to BS about having a scoop either. He's the least asinine regular on Around the Horn.

I see no reason why he would just make this up...

I, for one, expect a player to produce and earn the money.

you can't say it doesn't mean anything. unrealistic incentive bonuses don't mean anything, but a salary is real money, paid out in game checks in actual US dollars

the only way it doesn't mean anything if it a player suffers a career ending injury,(which they can insure against) or under performs and gets cut. I root for the team, not the agents or the players wives, so I want the team to be in a postion to replace the asset and move on in such a scenario, screw the poor millionaire who is set for life at the age of 27

and screw florio, btw, for making up a story just because there is none.

lol at the coment that it is "unenforceable"

go bother the colts about the manning deal

I kind of lean this way. Let him take out an insurance policy if he's worried about a career-ending or career-altering injury. Why should the Jets continue to pay him (and in turn, have fewer available funds to give to a replacement) if he isn't playing for the team anymore. They're buying his service, not buying him. If he's not playing for the Jets, he's worthless to the Jets.

I see no reason why he would just make this up...

He could be throwing sh*t against the wall just to get the two sides to deny it, thereby breaking radio silence. Must suck for reporters to not get any soundbites regarding the Revis situation.

But in the meantime, we can hope.

We can hope.

I can understand by Rotoworld, Vrentas and Schefter would be bent out of shape and crying foul. If this is true, Cowlishaw just broke the biggest story of the preseason.

That schmuck Pats fan who wrote that moronic review of Hard Knocks that SoFla posted may turn out to be right and the third episode of Hard Knocks just might turn out to be the "Revis Returns" episode after all.

you pay proven elite players in their prime .... I was against cmarts last bump ( too old) .. Coles ( not near elite) .. And noodlearm ( not near elite and injury prone).. So I'm not normaly on the players side.. But this time I kind of am...

Archived