Cimini: Afternoon Practice Report

flgreen

Afternoon practice report, plus other goodies

August, 3, 2010 Aug 36:26PM ETEmail Print Comments By Rich CiminiThe Tuesday afternoon practice here in Cortland, N.Y., was devoted entirely to special teams. It lasted only an hour, before a small crowd of fans. For most of the session, special teams coordinator Mike Westhoff worked on punt returns.

In case you're wondering, yes, the "Hard Knocks" cameras were out on the field, shooting the Jets' kicking game. More than likely, their lenses were fixed on the colorful Westhoff, who will be one of the stars of the HBO reality show -- at least that was Rex Ryan's pre-camp prediction. There's little doubt that Westhoff, known for his salty vocabulary, provided some good material during the camp's first special-teams-only practice.

Six players took turns fielding punts -- Jim Leonhard, Brad Smith, rookie Joe McKnight, rookie Kyle Wilson, Larry Taylor and Aundrae Allison.

One of the key players on special teams is David Clowney, a candidate to replace Wallace Wright as the "gunner." Wright was terrific, but the Jets didn't make him a tender offer, letting him walk as a free agent. He wound up signing with the Carolina Panthers.

"I want to see him have a bigger role on special teams," Ryan said of Clowney. "We have to replace Wallace Wright. That was a lot of snaps on special teams. Wright was a tremendous special teams player, but Clowney has a ton of athletic ability, and he's one of the fastest guys in the league. He should be a domnant special teams player."

Leftover notes from Tuesday:

1. WR Jerricho Cotchery is thrilled to be reunited with his old running mate, Laveranues Coles. He said they sat together on the bus ride to Cortland, using the entire three-hour trip to catch up.

"It's good to have my old buddy back," Cotchery said. "Just like old times."

Well, not totally. Coles, who last week signed a one-year, $855,000 contract, is far from a lock to make the team. Every time Ryan mention Coles, he's quick to note there are no guarantees. Coles, 32, will have to prove himself because if he's on the opening-day roster, he's guaranteed his entire salary. For 800k, the Jets want to make sure he's worth it, considering there's a chance he could get cut after four games. That's when WR Santonio Holmes is due to return from his suspension. The suspension doesn't start until the preseason is over.

2. Speaking of Holmes, he's due to report Wednesday. He was given a later reporting date because he was tending to a family matter.

3. Matt Slauson and rookie Vlad Ducasse appear to be running neck-and-neck at left guard. It's too early to make any definitive statements, but it seems that Slauson might have a slight edge.

4. DE Shaun Ellis, the longest-tenured player on the team, told me he has put aside his contract issue and is concentrating on the season. Ellis, entering the final year of his deal, approached the front office during the offseason about an extension. Basically, he was told, "Let's talk after the season." By next season, he'll be 34. This could be his final season with the Jets, who drafted him in 2000.

"I feel like I can help this team a lot," Ellis said. "If they want to go in the opposite direction, fine. I'll go to another team."

5. There has been some speculation that the Jets might be interested in Bills DE Aaron Schobel, who reportedly has been informed that he will be released. But I've been told the Jets have no interest.

Now they need to bring back Stuckey. Trade the Clown for for him.

Mangini clearly isn't that stupid, considering I can promise you if the Browns would've been willing to take Clowney instead of Stuckey last year, it would have happened. And we sure as hell know Holmgren isn't that dumb.

How is Coles NOT worth 855K?

If he's on the opening day roster, his full salary is guaranteed. He needs to demonstrate that he brings enough to the table for the Jets to pay him 16 games' salary for just four games.

Because you #4 WR needs to play ST, and he can't do that. I think this move sucks. Its not the money, its the roster spot.

Coles isn't the # 4 WR. He's the # 3 until Holmes comes back, then he'll likely be cut. Big difference. You can find special teamers fairly easily, but Coles is worth giving up a roster spot when you consider we were one injury away from Aundrae Allison, David Clowney or Brad Smith being the # 2 receiver.

Archived