Should the Red Sox sweep the Yankees this weekend...

TaborJet

If they should sweep, Francona should be manger of the year right on the spot...he should be in the mix anyway with all the injuries they've had.

It just shows you how much payroll disparity has affected the sport. With all thei rinjuries, they should not be sniffing 1st place (a stretch I know). Much less in contention for the wildcard while playing in the toughest division bar none.

I miss Crazy Carl

I didn't go anywhere. The pitching match-ups favor the Sox on paper. I'd take a split at this point though. Tonight's game will set the pace. Buchholz has been great all season long but not against the Yanks. We'll see how it shakes out. I'm surprised the Yankees aren't letting Vazquez duck the Sox again, but since Pettitte isn't healthy, he has to get tossed into the fire.

It just shows you how much payroll disparity has affected the sport. With all thei rinjuries, they should not be sniffing 1st place (a stretch I know). Much less in contention for the wildcard while playing in the toughest division bar none.

The Darnell McDonalds and Daniel Navas of the world were out there for anyone to take. So was Beltre. I don't buy the payroll thing as the reason why the Sox have hung tough. They've hung tough because unknowns have stepped up and they've gotten decent starting pitching.

I didn't go anywhere. The pitching match-ups favor the Sox on paper. I'd take a split at this point though. Tonight's game will set the pace. Buchholz has been great all season long but not against the Yanks. We'll see how it shakes out. I'm surprised the Yankees aren't letting Vazquez duck the Sox again, but since Pettitte isn't healthy, he has to get tossed into the fire.

Buchholz has been good against teams with a below .500 record...his record against teams above .500 is 4-4.

Mr. Cervelli says you're welcome in game one.

Good pitchers pick up their defenders on their mistakes. Javy Vazquez is not a good pitcher. If the Yankees have to rely on him down the stretch and into the playoffs, they are in trouble. They had better hope Pettitte gets healthy and continues to pitch well, Burnett doesn't implode, and that Hughes can turn it around. Starting pitching is going to be the biggest factor in deciding these races coming down the stretch.

Good pitchers pick up their defenders on their mistakes. Javy Vazquez is not a good pitcher. If the Yankees have to rely on him down the stretch and into the playoffs, they are in trouble. They had better hope Pettitte gets healthy and continues to pitch well, Burnett doesn't implode, and that Hughes can turn it around. Starting pitching is going to be the biggest factor in deciding these races coming down the stretch.

Come on, it was the first game that Buchholz had success against the Yanks...it was bound to happen sooner or later. Just wish the Yanks had played a cleaner game.

Come on, it was the first game that Buchholz had success against the Yanks...it was bound to happen sooner or later. Just wish the Yanks had played a cleaner game.

He pitched against them last season and went 6 innings giving up only 2 runs, though he took a loss. So no, not the first game.

Even after the drop, Vazquez still had two outs. He walked two guys before giving up the double. Can't win them all.

Yanks need a vintage CC performance today. Sunday and Monday match-ups favor the Sox.

The Darnell McDonalds and Daniel Navas of the world were out there for anyone to take. So was Beltre. I don't buy the payroll thing as the reason why the Sox have hung tough. They've hung tough because unknowns have stepped up and they've gotten decent starting pitching.

Payroll allows you to pick up John lackey in the off season even though you have Lester, Beckett, Dice-K and Bucholz in the rotation.

Drop 5 million on Tek in the hopes a reduced role will allow him to play better over the course of the season. Not to mention he cash thrown at the Hermedia, Hall and Beltre's of the reclamation heap.

The money allowed them to use the some what productive players instead of AA or A players that are not ready.

Payroll allows you to pick up John lackey in the off season even though you have Lester, Beckett, Dice-K and Bucholz in the rotation.

Drop 5 million on Tek in the hopes a reduced role will allow him to play better over the course of the season. Not to mention he cash thrown at the Hermedia, Hall and Beltre's of the reclamation heap.

The money allowed them to use the some what productive players instead of AA or A players that are not ready.

Still don't buy it. Tek and Beltre were out there for anyone to sign, and they actually got less than what they had been making. Hall and Hermida were both traded for. Lackey is a payroll thing, but they also didn't have Bay's salary so that's a wash.

Still don't buy it. Tek and Beltre were out there for anyone to sign, and they actually got less than what they had been making. Hall and Hermida were both traded for. Lackey is a payroll thing, but they also didn't have Bay's salary so that's a wash.

Could the Marlins use Beltre? Yes. Can they afford to pay a hair under 1/6 of their payroll for him in the hope escaping Seattle revives his career? No.

Yes, they were available to everyone, but a crappy team is going to have to pay more to get that player to go to KC for an example.

The Sox are 158-114 despite all their injuries and/or player's regression over the past two seasons. Their cash allows them to pick-up VMart when Tek cannot hit his weight. Keep Wake for no other reason then he is a jack of all pitching trades.

They weren't when he was pitching for the Marlins.

He also did not have re-occurring back problems then either.

Which makes that 4yr-68 million he has not even started collecting awesome. I hope Theo has some injury clause in that contract.

He also did not have re-occurring back problems then either.

Which makes that 4yr-68 million he has not even started collecting awesome. I hope Theo has some injury clause in that contract.

I hope it doesn't come to that Dave. I just want the old Beckett back.

I hope it doesn't come to that Dave. I just want the old Beckett back.

I wasn't a minor league ball player like AEC :rl: but I know a thing or ten about back injuries and he seems to be a sneeze away from hurting his back at any given moment.

He can be productive, but I am glad we have kept Bucholz more and more everyday.

Archived