Jets/Revis Reps clear the air. Keep Contract Talks Confidential

villain_the_foe

Problem might be the structure of it. I don't think with the 30% rules that the Jets could do salaries that high. What they could do instead -I believe- would be to give roster bonuses every year. So it would be a $15M signing bonus, $8.5M roster bonus, and $550K in salary for the first year. A $9.25M bonus and $750K salary the next year, etc.

The 30% rule is based on the player's 2009 cap number which, for Revis, was ~$7.5m. Thus, his maximum salary in 2011 would be ~$9.75m, with the possibility of annual increases of up to $2.25m.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I say screw Revis financially to the fullest extent allowed by the rules and use the money you save from that to extend players like Mangold and Harris.

If you have a bad scouting department and get lucky with a player you have to overpay him like the Raiders did with Aso. The Jets scout very well. The salary cap is the biggest thing limiting the amount of talent the Jets can accumulate. They don't have to worry about only having a good draft every few years. Take the money saved by screwing Revis and invest it the other players the scouting department found.

Revis Heist died for our wins.

A very uninformed view.

LB and C are much easier positions to replace. SHUTDOWN CORNERS don't grow on trees. You might be lucky to find ONE in the next 10 drafts.

With that said, I don't want to lose either Mangold or Harris, but one of them is going to be a casualty.

IMO, Mangold's going to get a nice deal and Harris will be that cruel casualty. Rex can find a young and hungry LB to mold into a stud. Just look at what he did with Bart Scott.

Keeping Mangold and Sanchez together — a la Manning and Saturday — is a very good idea. Plus, Mangold's probably the most down to earth professional athlete in the history modern sport.

A very uninformed view.

LB and C are much easier positions to replace. SHUTDOWN CORNERS don't grow on trees. You might be lucky to find ONE in the next 10 drafts.

With that said, I don't want to lose either Mangold or Harris, but one of them is going to be a casualty.

IMO, Mangold's going to get a nice deal and Harris will be that cruel casualty. Rex can find a young and hungry LB to mold into a stud. Just look at what he did with Bart Scott.

Keeping Mangold and Sanchez together — a la Manning and Saturday — is a very good idea. Plus, Mangold's probably the most down to earth professional athlete in the history modern sport.

I think Mangold gets a nice deal which will make him the highest paid player at the most undervalued position in the NFL and Harris will take less to stay with this team but will still be paid handsomely. Notice Harris hasn't made any noise whatsoever. He ain't going anywhere.

Harris will take less to stay with this team but will still be paid handsomely. Notice Harris hasn't made any noise whatsoever. He ain't going anywhere.

That would be ideal.

But I think the rest of the league might tempt him. While most fans don't know a lick about Harris, you can bet opposing GMs are salivating at the chance to have him run their defense.

Still, I really hope that you are right.

The 30% rule is based on the player's 2009 cap number which, for Revis, was ~$7.5m. Thus, his maximum salary in 2011 would be ~$9.75m, with the possibility of annual increases of up to $2.25m.

If that's true, that's cool. Should make it pretty easy to construct Revis' contract this year, then.

If that's true, that's cool. Should make it pretty easy to construct Revis' contract this year, then.

I dont think the JETS are just looking at this year. Next year a boat load of guys are going to need to be signed. 1 player cannot take the entire pie whether its Revis or not sorry. If hes gonna destroy a dynasty trade his a$$ or make him sit out and rot.

Being bitchslapped through the media though more than half the media coverage I've seen agreed with him.

Ima do this. Im not going to respond to your further on this subject. You obviously dont know what you're talking about, you just have your personal feeling on it. Which is cool, but when you try to make it a valid point thats when its a waste of my time to go back and forth with a person like that. Call it putting my tail between my legs....but like I said, Revis will get his money no matter what you or I say.

The media that agrees with Revis is the media that isn't close to the situation. In other words out of town or national outlets that don't know or care for the details. They just throw Revis' name in a headline for traffic/hits.

Then there's Mike Francesa who gets visably upset when the Jets are discussed. You'd think Rex cut him in line at the China Buffet. Francesa's been out of touch and out of line since the departure of Dog. In other words if you agree with Francesa on anything you're automatically wrong.

there is no "side" that is winning by a joint statement issuing no further comments. it's not a sign that the Jets 'beat' the agents or vice versa.

It's a sign that talks are actually getting serious and they might be close to getting this thing done.

cause at the end of the day there is no war between woody and revis or between tanny and schwartz. Revis will be a NY Jet for a long time.

The media that agrees with Revis is the media that isn't close to the situation. In other words out of town or national outlets that don't know or care for the details. They just throw Revis' name in a headline for traffic/hits.

Then there's Mike Francesa who gets visably upset when the Jets are discussed. You'd think Rex cut him in line at the China Buffet. Francesa's been out of touch and out of line since the departure of Dog. In other words if you agree with Francesa on anything you're automatically wrong.

Seriously? Why are you and others even talking about this fatazz? I doubt that ANYONE on this website when talking about the media refers to this guy, especially for Jet news. Yet you're the second person that has even spoke his name as if I even listen to this dude. Anytime I hear about this guy is when someone makes a thread about the latest shyte he's said.

He's worse than Sean Salisbury with the Jet hate.

Seriously? Why are you and others even talking about this fatazz? I doubt that ANYONE on this website when talking about the media refers to this guy, especially for Jet news. Yet you're the second person that has even spoke his name as if I even listen to this dude. Anytime I hear about this guy is when someone makes a thread about the latest shyte he's said.

He's worse than Sean Salisbury with the Jet hate.

I wasn't speaking about just you, I was generalizing.

I think Mangold gets a nice deal which will make him the highest paid player at the most undervalued position in the NFL and Harris will take less to stay with this team but will still be paid handsomely. Notice Harris hasn't made any noise whatsoever. He ain't going anywhere.

This sounds both good and reasonable. Klecko is the heir apparent to tannenbaum. Now all we have to do is teach you how to catch a football like a girl. He was dreadful on Hard Knocks

I wasn't speaking about just you, I was generalizing.

But you did include me, thats why I asked the question. I dont think that anyone on this site takes Fatazz seriously, especially when it comes to anything Jets. I just find it a bit crazy that when it comes to Revis and the Jets that Fatazz seems to be taken seriously for some reason.

If anybody is taking fat Mike seriously it's the pay MEvi$ whatever clan!

The only local clown I heard say anything remotely close to that was Francessa.

Anybody want to list any other local reporters who would also like to see the Jets get a$$ raped here?

Because according to the delusional, it's 1/2. :huh:

Anybody want to list any other local reporters who would also like to see the Jets get a$$ raped here?

lol.

Just "quote" me then if you're still gonna comment on my points. We have a disagreement, its not like we're enemies bro. Stop acting up Brooklyn before I have to go out there and put hands on you. :cat:

You miss me. ::wub

We're not having a disagreement.

I said MEvi$ got bitch slapped in the media.

You said 1/2 the media was on his side.

I said Fatcessa is the only one even close to being so.

You came back with nothing.

Quite the one sided disagreement, so you turned it into a spin fest.

crazy carl jr.

We're not having a disagreement.

I said MEvi$ got bitch slapped in the media.

You said 1/2 the media was on his side.

I said Fatcessa is the only one even close to being so.

You came back with nothing.

Quite the one sided disagreement, so you turned it into a spin fest.

crazy carl jr.

What do I look like? I said what I said. im not going to go around and gather up info for you. If you cant take my word for it then it can be however one-sided you like. I said what I said because I know what I heard.

And if I wanted to be an azz about it I'd say that I dont even listen to Fatcessa so for you to mention him is just more confirmation for the statement. But I wont be an azz, I'll leave that up to the Fatazz on the Yes Network that I dont listen to.

And I also never said just locally, but I'll count places like NFL Live, NFL network, SNY etc.

You can call it one-sided, I'll call it that you miss me. :wub:

What do I look like? I said what I said. im not going to go around and gather up info for you. If you cant take my word for it then it can be however one-sided you like. I said what I said because I know what I heard.

And if I wanted to be an azz about it I'd say that I dont even listen to Fatcessa so for you to mention him is just more confirmation for the statement. But I wont be an azz, I'll leave that up to the Fatazz on the Yes Network that I dont listen to.

And I also never said just locally, but I'll count places like NFL Live, NFL network, SNY etc.

You can call it one-sided, I'll call it that you miss me. :wub:

Nothing, exactly.

Anybody want to list any other local reporters who would also like to see the Jets get a$ raped here?

First off, there is no pay Revis whatever clan. That's your delusion, dude. That's the strawman group that keeps your rant alive. The people who you believe to be in that camp agree with you that he should sign a more reasonable deal than the 10/160 he's rumored to be seeking. What us pay Revis folks want is for the Jets to come to the table and offer something concrete. 10/120 is pie in the sky without any bonus money. I'm not going to get into why that's the case again, but it is the case.

And I know that Gary Myers has come out and said the Jets should pay Revis. Outside of that, I think most of them are simply trying to report facts and not take sides. They'll need to get stories from both the players and the front office in the future, and certainly don't want to burn any bridges.

Don't the story on the radio. I listen to music in my car.

First off, there is no pay Revis whatever clan. That's your delusion, dude. That's the strawman group that keeps your rant alive. The people who you believe to be in that camp agree with you that he should sign a more reasonable deal than the 10/160 he's rumored to be seeking. What us pay Revis folks want is for the Jets to come to the table and offer something concrete. 10/120 is pie in the sky without any bonus money. I'm not going to get into why that's the case again, but it is the case.

And I know that Gary Myers has come out and said the Jets should pay Revis. Outside of that, I think most of them are simply trying to report facts and not take sides. They'll need to get stories from both the players and the front office in the future, and certainly don't want to burn any bridges.

No need to explain anything, it's all very clear.

No guaranteed money was discussed because MEvi$ would not come off the $16 mill per which the Jets see as out of the question.

As for there not being a pay whatever clan, perhaps you have not seen all the posts, as you have not heard all the reports.

Funny you're not for paying MEvi$ $16 mill per, either am I.

What's delusional is, how some here try to make that sound like I don't want MEvi$ to get anything. :blink:

As for there not being a pay whatever clan, perhaps you have not seen all the posts, as you have not heard all the reports.

I think you'd have a hard time making a list of people here who believe Revis should be paid whatever.

What's delusional is, how some here try to make that sound like I don't want MEvi$ to get anything. :blink:

I doubt that has anything to do with your 832 let him rot posts. tongue.gif

I think you'd have a hard time making a list of people here who believe Revis should be paid whatever.

I doubt that has anything to do with your 832 let him rot posts. tongue.gif

If he won't sign a reasonable deal, then yes let him rot.

There are plenty of posts here trying to defend MEvi$ and his $16 mill per demands, that's the whatever I was referring to.

Caught all 832 rot posts, and missed all of those aye.

Good point....as usual.

There are plenty of posts here trying to defend MEvi$ and his $16 mill per demands, that's the whatever I was referring to.

I don't think so. People are defending Revis' right to hold out. Those in support of that stance generally see the $16M/per demands more as a negotiation position than an actual line in the sand. I don't think you have plenty of posts on here saying that Revis should be paid that number.

That said, ten years from now $16M probably won't be a cap busting deal for a shut down CB. tongue.gif

I think the Jets could get Revis in camp on the 10/120 plan if they offer some big money upfront as part of that package. The very real problem with that is if Revis has $30M in the family feeding fund, he could be a potential holdout sooner rather than later when some other great young CB signs a $17M/year deal. 10/160 is too much. A middle ground of 10/140 should be able to be accomplished with a more reasonable bonus (maybe the one year average of $14M), and some backloading to get that total compensation up. But I definitely feel that the Jets need to come to the table with some genuine bonus money if they want to get this deal done. Drawing their own line in the sand about coming to an agreement on the total package first obviously isn't going to work.

I don't think so. People are defending Revis' right to hold out. Those in support of that stance generally see the $16M/per demands more as a negotiation position than an actual line in the sand. I don't think you have plenty of posts on here saying that Revis should be paid that number.

That said, ten years from now $16M probably won't be a cap busting deal for a shut down CB. tongue.gif

I think the Jets could get Revis in camp on the 10/120 plan if they offer some big money upfront as part of that package. The very real problem with that is if Revis has $30M in the family feeding fund, he could be a potential holdout sooner rather than later when some other great young CB signs a $17M/year deal. 10/160 is too much. A middle ground of 10/140 should be able to be accomplished with a more reasonable bonus (maybe the one year average of $14M), and some backloading to get that total compensation up. But I definitely feel that the Jets need to come to the table with some genuine bonus money if they want to get this deal done. Drawing their own line in the sand about coming to an agreement on the total package first obviously isn't going to work.

If he's holding out for $16/$160 which is what he said he wants, then they go hand in hand.

As for the rest we shall see, and I have no doubt that a deal will get done if he's actually going to come off the $16/$160.

If he's holding out for $16/$160 which is what he said he wants, then they go hand in hand.

As for the rest we shall see, and I have no doubt that a deal will get done if he's actually going to come off the $16/$160.

If a deal ends up getting done and it ends with a 10th year at $52M (essentially making it a 9 yr contract @ $12M per) then we'll know this standoff was on Revis not the team. If everyone - Revis included - knows that the final year is phony, then the entire holdout was all about Revis's $16M per year line in the sand, Anyone else who wanted a deal done, otherwise, would have met with the team after they sent the year and contract totals. IF the Jets then were immovable on a lack of guarantees in it then that would come out. But to not even discuss it (until the Jets used Hard Knocks to make Revis look bad apparently) unless the Jets come up with a total higher than Aso says plenty.

So if the only way a deal is struck is to have a bunch of meaningless money in there, that Revis will never see, then this whole thing is on Revis.

Archived