Jets/Revis Reps clear the air. Keep Contract Talks Confidential

villain_the_foe

If a deal ends up getting done and it ends with a 10th year at $52M (essentially making it a 9 yr contract @ $12M per) then we'll know this standoff was on Revis not the team. If everyone - Revis included - knows that the final year is phony, then the entire holdout was all about Revis's $16M per year line in the sand, Anyone else who wanted a deal done, otherwise, would have met with the team after they sent the year and contract totals. IF the Jets then were immovable on a lack of guarantees in it then that would come out. But to not even discuss it (until the Jets used Hard Knocks to make Revis look bad apparently) unless the Jets come up with a total higher than Aso says plenty.

So if the only way a deal is struck is to have a bunch of meaningless money in there, that Revis will never see, then this whole thing is on Revis.

Your assumption that he would know and admit that the final year is phony is flawed. I would fully expect him to hold out prior and complain that the team lied to him because he just found out that they never intended to pay him for that final year. See Thomas Jones, Brandon Moore, etc.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your assumption that he would know and admit that the final year is phony is flawed. I would fully expect him to hold out prior and complain that the team lied to him because he just found out that they never intended to pay him for that final year. See Thomas Jones, Brandon Moore, etc.
Your point is well taken but truth is that would only reinforce what I'm saying.<BR><BR>But if he ever thought a $50M final year salary was ever going to get paid, then he's a much bigger dope than I ever considered. $50M. Not Thomas Jones's $6M which at least stood a chance (if Greene didn't look so good and if Jones didn't break down, I think they would have paid it).

If a deal ends up getting done and it ends with a 10th year at $52M (essentially making it a 9 yr contract @ $12M per) then we'll know this standoff was on Revis not the team. If everyone - Revis included - knows that the final year is phony, then the entire holdout was all about Revis's $16M per year line in the sand, Anyone else who wanted a deal done, otherwise, would have met with the team after they sent the year and contract totals. IF the Jets then were immovable on a lack of guarantees in it then that would come out. But to not even discuss it (until the Jets used Hard Knocks to make Revis look bad apparently) unless the Jets come up with a total higher than Aso says plenty.

So if the only way a deal is struck is to have a bunch of meaningless money in there, that Revis will never see, then this whole thing is on Revis.

agree..

spermie:

whats the average % of topline talent in nfl from 2000 to this year, 2010?

aka, would 52 M be so whacko in 2020 for best Def player in NFL?

agree..

spermie:

whats the average % of topline talent in nfl from 2000 to this year, 2010?

aka, would 52 M be so whacko in 2020 for best Def player in NFL?

$52M will still be insane.

The top CB contract 10 years ago was probably the one Miami gave Sam Madison (if it wasn't, the top one couldn't have been much more). 8 years $54M with $11M SB.

Keep in mind that the NFL isn't going to get THAT much more profitable or popular in the future, compared to right now. So the total league revenue, and in turn the players' share of it, shouldn't change that dramatically. Even if it doubles over the next 8 years, You're still talking about a top CB contract of about $20-22M on a new contract signed at that time (about double the highest "normal"/non-Aso contract given now). That would be IF at that time there is a salary cap limit in the $250M range. Doubtful we'll see that.

On the one hand, it did roughly double over the last 10 years. But it was low. It would be more accurate to say that it jumped up from about $50M to about $100M, or a net of about $50M. That the starting point was so low is the only reason it doubled. Highest we will likely see in 8 years would be in the $160-180M range. This would make even a $20M/year CB contract unlikely, to say nothing of a $50M/year CB contract.

Keep in mind that the NFL isn't going to get THAT much more profitable or popular in the future, compared to right now. So the total league revenue, and in turn the players' share of it, shouldn't change that dramatically. Even if it doubles over the next 8 years, You're still talking about a top CB contract of about $20-22M on a new contract signed at that time (about double the highest "normal"/non-Aso contract given now). That would be IF at that time there is a salary cap limit in the $250M range. Doubtful we'll see that.

On the one hand, it did roughly double over the last 10 years. But it was low. It would be more accurate to say that it jumped up from about $50M to about $100M, or a net of about $50M. That the starting point was so low is the only reason it doubled. Highest we will likely see in 8 years would be in the $160-180M range. This would make even a $20M/year CB contract unlikely, to say nothing of a $50M/year CB contract.

First, yes, a $52M/yr contract will continue to be insane. blink.gif

I don't think it's entirely unlikely that the salary cap is over $200M or even doubles again in 10 years. NFL is always looking to generate money, and the players are going to get their share. There should be an LA (and maybe a London) franchise bringing in a lot more money than a Jacksonville or Buffalo franchise in that time. Season could be stretched to 18 games on this contract, which'll bring in revenue. Players might negotiate larger rosters to go with that 18 game schedule, and that might increase the salary cap, too. Lot of factors.

That said, 10 years out Revis will be 35 and maybe not worthy of top CB pay any longer. Could be why the Jets want to do such a long contract, just so they can balloon a couple years on the backend and give him an average salary close to what he's looking for - while never intending to pay it.

$52M will still be insane.

The top CB contract 10 years ago was probably the one Miami gave Sam Madison (if it wasn't, the top one couldn't have been much more). 8 years $54M with $11M SB.

I'd also imagine that a large part of the next CBA will be in capping rookie salaries and redirecting those funds back toward somehow guaranteeing at least a portion of veteran salaries, no? There will never be another Sam Bradford contract and since the salary cap would never actually go down, there should be a lot more cash in the kitty for your top veteran players. Maybe Schwartz is banking on this?

Honestly, I think the only reason guarantees were not discussed was because MEvi$ would not come off the I want more than Aso bit.

The way he has handled this whole thing leaves me little else to believe.

if revis is the best and he knows it he shouldn't have a problem making 10 million a year with incentives to get him to a possible 16.5 mill including all pro, 8+ ints, 2 pick sixes, a superbowl ring, playing 80% of snaps, and allowing <2 tds.

all this talk about the league reducing player salaries in the future is pretty much BS. The TV deals go unti 2012, 2013 and 2014 respectively and they are all multi billion dollar deals. Will directv pay less money for the ticket in 2014? doubtful. will ESPN get a better deal for MNF? no. will ticket prices fall? you tell me.

don't let the owners talk fool ya, they are all making money.

First, yes, a $52M/yr contract will continue to be insane. blink.gif

I don't think it's entirely unlikely that the salary cap is over $200M or even doubles again in 10 years. NFL is always looking to generate money, and the players are going to get their share. There should be an LA (and maybe a London) franchise bringing in a lot more money than a Jacksonville or Buffalo franchise in that time. Season could be stretched to 18 games on this contract, which'll bring in revenue. Players might negotiate larger rosters to go with that 18 game schedule, and that might increase the salary cap, too. Lot of factors.

That said, 10 years out Revis will be 35 and maybe not worthy of top CB pay any longer. Could be why the Jets want to do such a long contract, just so they can balloon a couple years on the backend and give him an average salary close to what he's looking for - while never intending to pay it.

10 years ago the players got a far lower share of revenue and the amount of revenue the NFL generated from networks was WAYYYYY less. As it is, the current bids are probably overpriced for NFL games and I think it's less likely that they're going to double yet again.

I'd also imagine that a large part of the next CBA will be in capping rookie salaries and redirecting those funds back toward somehow guaranteeing at least a portion of veteran salaries, no? There will never be another Sam Bradford contract and since the salary cap would never actually go down, there should be a lot more cash in the kitty for your top veteran players. Maybe Schwartz is banking on this?

Agreed on the ludicrous rookie salaries eventually going down, but we'll see how far down they go. Either way, only a handful of rookies in the league (each year) get 8-figure average salaries. That's 5 NFL players. Probably not enough, with the other 27 teams, to boost average non-rookie salaries by millions of dollars per year per veteran.

Only way I see it going up has nothing to do with the NFL or the NFLPA or all the Al Davises in the league. If the salary cap doubles to about $250M in 8 or even 10 years it will be because of general inflation. Won't affect this CBA for the duration of the current TV contracts, but once those are up the league revenue could skyrocket if we get 3-5 consecutive, compounded years of 8-10% inflation. But absent that, I don't see the NFL's shared revenue doubling. They've already leveraged more money out of the networks than those contracts are worth. They probably lose money, which is why NBC didn't even want non-national games anymore. Too many crap-vs-crap games in certain markets that no one watches and don't generate dick in revenue. The point being, there isn't much more TV money they're going to squeeze out of the NFL (relative to today's dollar). Certainly won't double in 10 years, anyway.

Archived