New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan rejects Tony Dungy's criticism

THE ILK

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2009/11/03/2009-11-03_new_york_jets_head_coach_rex_ryan_rejects_tony_dungys_criticism.html

New York Jets head coach Rex Ryan rejects Tony Dungy's criticism

BY Kristie Ackert

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Tuesday, November 3rd 2009, 4:00 AM

Rex Ryan is not looking for advice from Tony Dungy. When the Jets' rookie coach was told that the well-respected former coach had criticized Ryan's team for trash-talking, Ryan shrugged it off Monday.

"I was brought up differently," said Ryan, the chip-off-the-block son of outspoken coach Buddy Ryan. "That's just it. I respect everybody, but I fear nobody. My thing is we're not going to get anywhere by tiptoeing.

"People can take offense to it, that's fine and dandy. I'm not going to change who I am and how I coach because Tony Dungy says something. I respect him, but I'm going to be who I am. I've said that from day one. Because I know I'll be successful that way."

NO SPECIAL DELIVERY: In his nine-year tenure, the Jets' special teams under Mike Westhoff had given up three touchdowns on kickoff returns. Sunday, they gave up two within seven minutes. Westhoff ranked it as the worst day of his career. "(It's) frustrating for me, so it's one of those things that leaves a bitter taste. It'll go away when they're lowering me in the grave," Westhoff said.

Westhoff was without three of his favorite players Sunday, Ahmad Carroll, Marquice Cole and Marques Murrell, who were inactive. The Jets wanted more size and help for banged-up linebacker Bart Scott.

http://network.yardb...n_Buddy/3067383

Rex Ryan Dad To Tony Dungy: Pipe Down, Buddy

Posted by

Brooks on Aug. 17, 2010, 3:04pm

Longtime NFL coach Buddy Ryan was quizzed today on Philadelphia radio about criticism Tony Dungy leveled at Ryan’s son Rex about the Jets Coach’s penchant for f-bombs on HBO’s Hard Knocks.

c95123ac35f238ce23708cff86a3c793_buddyanndrexryan.jpg

(Surprising tho, no calls for Dungy to get off Buddy’s lawn)

While needling Rex Ryan about his obscenity-laced presentation during the HBO program yesterday, Dungy also suggested that NFL CommissionerRoger Goodell tell the Jets coach to tone down the expletives during the show.

Here’s the transcript of Buddy Ryan’s comments today about Dungy on Vai Sikahema and John Gonzalez‘ show on 97.5 The Fanatic in Philly:

John Gonzalez: “Tony Dungy said that he wouldn’t hire someone who curses as much as your son, Rex, and had said that he hopes that CommissionerRoger Goodell will step in

Buddy Ryan: “I don’t think he had applied for a job with what’s his name either” (seems to be Buddy stating that Rex never applied for a job with Tony Dungy)

John Gonzalez: “Tony Dungy had said that he hopes Commissioner Goodell will step in and say something. Do you think that

Buddy Ryan: “Well it’s none of Dungy’s business

John Gonzalez: “So you don’t think the Commissioner has any place to step in and tell Rex how to run his team then?

Buddy Ryan: “Commissioner can do anything he wants to and I think he’ll take appropriate action. I think it’s being blown way out of perspective”

During his comments about Rex Ryan on the Dan Patrick Show yesterday, Dungy also dragged Buddy into the conversation: “His dad was the same way and coached the same way.

I never in my life thought I’d ever fully agree with Buddy Ryan on an issue of personal conduct - especially as it pertains to Dungy - but from his surprisingly diplomatic radio reax, I can’t dispute anything he said.

And the more I hear from NFL observers, the more it appears Dungy is in the minority in his call for Goodell to step in and demand that Ryan change his daily approach for the HBO cameras.

This entry was posted on Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 at 3:04 pm and is filed under

Dumbass Coach, Brog, Audio, NFL, Media . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.

Visited 36,440 times, 24,611 so far today You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.

Buddy Dings Dungy, Buddy Ryan, Dan Patrick, Dan Patrick Show,Dungy On Rex, Rex Ryan, Tony Dungy

Tags:

Here's one from today. ;)

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2010/08/18/jets-coach-rex-ryan-says-tony-dungy-unfairly-judged-hard-knocks-profanity/

Jets coach Rex Ryan says Tony Dungy 'unfairly judged' him about 'Hard Knocks' profanity

Published August 18, 2010

Associated Press

CORTLAND, N.Y. – Jets coach Rex Ryan says Tony Dungy "unfairly judged me" when the former NFL coach criticized his use of profanity on the premiere episode of HBO's "Hard Knocks."

Dungy told "The Dan Patrick Show" on Monday that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell should talk to Ryan about his excessive cursing because, "I just don't think the league needs that." Dungy, who won a Super Bowl with Indianapolis, is an NFL analyst for NBC.

Ryan says Wednesday he left a phone message for Dungy, and invited him to spend a day with the team. Ryan says Dungy, who hadn't yet responded, would "have a different take on it."

Ryan added that he anticipates Dungy calling him back, and says he's always going to be himself and "I'm a good person."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/18/rex-ryan-says-dungy-unfairly-judged-me/

Rex Ryan says Dungy "unfairly judged me"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 18, 2010 12:29 PM ET

Tony Dungy and Rex Ryan both get their fair share of attention and criticism when they speak their mind, so perhaps it shouldn't be so surprising that Dungy's comments on Ryan's love of the "F"-bomb created such an uproar.

Ryan weighed in on the issue Wednesday morning, only after his father, among others, had their say.

Ryan said that Dungy "unfairly judged" him and those on the scene said Ryan was emotional about it and seemingly hurt.

"I'm a good person," Ryan said.

He said he a lot of respect for Dungy, and left a message for the former Colts coach inviting him to camp to meet the "real" Ryan. You can argue with Ryan's methods, but it's hard to make the case that he's phony or somehow not "real."

In that respect, Ryan and Dungy have a lot in common.

By all means, the NFL commissioner should act or not act based on what one Tony Dungy thinks the league needs or does not need.

First time since its inception that Hard Knocks is actually watchable and Dungy now has a problem with it. He's ok with the sport being supremely violent, played in basically body armor at full speed. But it's the F-bombs that do the real damage. We need more images of his clown buddy coloring in welcome signs to players. That's what the people want to see. Good, clean fun. With broken bones and future brain damage.

Did anyone ask Tony Dungy how he felt about Marvin Harrison's involvement as a suspect in a murder trial.

Sorry... EFF Bombs are way worse for society.

I like Dungy.

But the hypocrisy of this statement is beyond stupid.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/18/rex-ryan-says-dungy-unfairly-judged-me/

Rex Ryan says Dungy "unfairly judged me"

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 18, 2010 12:29 PM ET

Tony Dungy and Rex Ryan both get their fair share of attention and criticism when they speak their mind, so perhaps it shouldn't be so surprising that Dungy's comments on Ryan's love of the "F"-bomb created such an uproar.

Ryan weighed in on the issue Wednesday morning, only after his father, among others, had their say.

Ryan said that Dungy "unfairly judged" him and those on the scene said Ryan was emotional about it and seemingly hurt.

"I'm a good person," Ryan said.

He said he a lot of respect for Dungy, and left a message for the former Colts coach inviting him to camp to meet the "real" Ryan. You can argue with Ryan's methods, but it's hard to make the case that he's phony or somehow not "real."

In that respect, Ryan and Dungy have a lot in common.

Ha! Rex invited the guy to a practice. Awesome. I love Rex Ryan.

Dungy wont accept because he's ******* **** ****.

Am I the only one here who expects Rex to drop a "Golly, gee" phrase during tonight's episode. How about a "Gosh darn"? I would laugh my a$$ off if he did that because we all know who he would be mocking :)

Archived