Rex on Mcknight: "I don't see how he can make the active roster. Disappointed in him"

jaspegs

i don't think they can just put a player under contract on the practice squad, can they? i think they need to cut him and then he has to agree to practice squad.

Actually a bit more than that.

1. Gets cut.

2. Hits waiver wire - in which all 31 teams have the right to sign them to their squad of 53 at his current 4 year contract.

3. Then he the Jets or any other team could sign him to their practice squad or sign them to their regular squad under a new contract. (As his four deal is pretty much league min other than the signing bonus already paid by the Jets I doubt any team who wanted him would wait to this point to sign him to the regular squad)

4. Once on the practice squad another team can sign him to their regular squad (he would have to agree to it, not automatic like with the waiver wire, but pretty rare a practice squad player turns down the chance to join another teams 53.

Would he make it to the practice squad? Maybe, maybe not. He hasn't shown enough in pre-season to warrant a spot on any team's 53, including the Jets. But odds are there is at least one team out there who had him pretty high on the draft board and an ego that believes that they could do a better job with McKnight than the Jets have.

Personally I think he wouldn't make it to the PS, but get picked up off the waiver wire. Spend 3 week on that team, get cut. Get picked up by a third team, spend 3 weeks on that team, get cut and wind up either out of the league or on someones PS. Or maybe get a mysterious injury along the way getting buried on someones IR so he can spend a year getting in shape and try again next year.

Actually a bit more than that.

1. Gets cut.

2. Hits waiver wire - in which all 31 teams have the right to sign them to their squad of 53 at his current 4 year contract.

3. Then he the Jets or any other team could sign him to their practice squad or sign them to their regular squad under a new contract. (As his four deal is pretty much league min other than the signing bonus already paid by the Jets I doubt any team who wanted him would wait to this point to sign him to the regular squad)

4. Once on the practice squad another team can sign him to their regular squad (he would have to agree to it, not automatic like with the waiver wire, but pretty rare a practice squad player turns down the chance to join another teams 53.

Would he make it to the practice squad? Maybe, maybe not. He hasn't shown enough in pre-season to warrant a spot on any team's 53, including the Jets. But odds are there is at least one team out there who had him pretty high on the draft board and an ego that believes that they could do a better job with McKnight than the Jets have.

Personally I think he wouldn't make it to the PS, but get picked up off the waiver wire. Spend 3 week on that team, get cut. Get picked up by a third team, spend 3 weeks on that team, get cut and wind up either out of the league or on someones PS. Or maybe get a mysterious injury along the way getting buried on someones IR so he can spend a year getting in shape and try again next year.

that would actually be the best case scenario for the Jets and they've done stuff like that before-"hey our doctors have diagnosed you with a rare gastro disease which is why you kept throwing up, we're gonna put you on IR for the year"

he's a very poor man's reggie bush. I know McKnight hates the comparison but that's the guy. Skinny, not short, quick but not fast and no real full time role to speak of...

man I see him as maybe half of what Reggie Bush was at his worst bro-Bush can make plays and catch the ball out of the BF-had over 80 catches-McNightmare will never catch that many passes between training camp, PS games and regular season games

that would actually be the best case scenario for the Jets and they've done stuff like that before-"hey our doctors have diagnosed you with a rare gastro disease which is why you kept throwing up, we're gonna put you on IR for the year"

Every team has.

Find a reason to put him on IR. Sprained ankle that would take a 10 days to heal. Than let Jets staff rehab him for a year by having him sprint 2 flights of stairs 30 times a day while carring a 30lb weight, including every single day of the off season. (IR players can rehab during the off-season not just limited to OTAs and off-season program)

Unlike say the WR - QB connection or the oline. Developing a running back doesn't really require as much practice with the team as much as just gerneral conditioning. He doesn't need to be on the PS or team. He just needs to hit the gym hard everyday.

Most 4th round picks don't bring much to the table right away, he's not dead yet.

It's funny - not too long ago people around here were complaining because our draft picks weren't getting playing time. Now they want to cut them before they've even played a season. Geez.

Archived