Rex on Mcknight: "I don't see how he can make the active roster. Disappointed in him"

jaspegs

The good news, at least, is that this all but locks up Chauncey Washington as our # 3 RB. McKnight making the team probably means Woodhead doesn't make the final 53 though.

I'm thinking Woodhead takes Clowney's spot, IMO. Still, handing over a roster spot to a draft pick who has shown absolutely zero and showed up for both camps out of shape is a disgrace.

Stash him on the practice squad and develop him. He's got the potential to be a playmaker once he gets some weight on him.

What we should see LT doing this year is what they want McKnight to do for the offense.

There is no way he makes it to the practice squad. Cut him, and he'd be picked up by someone else in a NY minute. There's too much potential to give up on him already. Sure, he needs a lot of development and self discipline. Being inactive every game may have a big influence on him. Give him at least a year before cutting bait.

I'm thinking Woodhead takes Clowney's spot, IMO. Still, handing over a roster spot to a draft pick who has shown absolutely zero and showed up for both camps out of shape is a disgrace.

Yes, there's no way Woodhead is cut. Either Clowney or Mulligan IMO. I'm not so sure they carry 4 TE's.

the fact that he'll make this team makes all the rhetoric about "putting the best man on the field" and "open competition" seem farcical. He should have been cut last week. He's a nitwit, out-of-shape, fumble machine who can't run between the tackles. How the hell is he better than Woodhead or Washington? Potential? Bullsh*t. We had so few draft picks again after pissing them away on the likes of O'Connell, etc. that totally whiffing on one is too embarassing to admit.

Rex said tonight that Woodhead makes this team-Clowney needs to go-he has never gotten any better-yes he's fast and yes he can make a catch or three but there's no upside with this guy, I'd rather see his spot and his number go back to the real #87 of the NY Jets-wanna bet we see Coles in his old number in a couple of weeks? McKnight is a big bustola-does anybody here feel confident with the ball in his hands and the game on the line? I know I don't

the fact that he'll make this team makes all the rhetoric about "putting the best man on the field" and "open competition" seem farcical. He should have been cut last week. He's a nitwit, out-of-shape, fumble machine who can't run between the tackles. How the hell is he better than Woodhead or Washington? Potential? Bullsh*t. We had so few draft picks again after pissing them away on the likes of O'Connell, etc. that totally whiffing on one is too embarassing to admit.

Believe me I feel your frustration with this kid. Potential does win out sometimes with Rookies though. I can't fault the team for giving him at least this year to get his sh!t together. Ideally, you'd like to put him on the PS and develop him - but there is no way he makes it through waivers. Hopefully being inactive every week will wake this kid up and realize his true potential.

the fact that he'll make this team makes all the rhetoric about "putting the best man on the field" and "open competition" seem farcical. He should have been cut last week. He's a nitwit, out-of-shape, fumble machine who can't run between the tackles. How the hell is he better than Woodhead or Washington? Potential? Bullsh*t. We had so few draft picks again after pissing them away on the likes of O'Connell, etc.

Not to mention superbowl MVP receivers, legit cornerbacks, etc. What a disaster.

Not to mention superbowl MVP receivers, legit cornerbacks, etc. What a disaster.

Right. and the Pats had twelve picks this year and have two first and two seconds next year and can afford to sign their vets. Cromartie will become expensive. Holmes will become expensive and not play a quarter of the season. Oh, and we traded up, losing another draft pick, so that we could steal McNight and have our replacement for Leon Washington. The point? McNight sticks only because we had few picks and spent two on him. I like our talent and I'm not knocking our aquisitions, but McNight will stick only because the organization wants to save face--not because he earned a roster spot.

Right. and the Pats had twelve picks this year and have two first and two seconds next year and can afford to sign their vets. Cromartie will become expensive. Holmes will become expensive and not play a quarter of the season. Oh, and we traded up, losing another draft pick, so that we could steal McNight and have our replacement for Leon Washington. The point? McNight sticks only because we had few picks and spent two on him. I like our talent and I'm not knocking our aquisitions, but McNight will stick only because the organization wants to save face--not because he earned a roster spot.

Granted, it's largely that. If the guy was an undrafted FA, he would not be making this team. As a fourth rounder, it's not just that they're saving face, but that they'd probably not be able to put him on the practice squad. Some guys take longer than others to play at this level, and it would be just as bad for their collective faces if they were to cut him and he flourished on another team. They don't want to risk that, either.

With no plans to activate him, he probably doesn't figure in their numbers game all that much - meaning that Woodhead and CWash should be judged on their own merits, not the fact that they'd be 6th and 7th RB's.

Joe McKnight will never amount to anything in the NFL-he will get NO touches this year and when he comes back again next year out of shape again there will be some defending him, and when he fumbles again and again next year in PS there will be another excuse and when he's in his 3rd camp as a Jets scrub there will be a bunch more Jets fans saying "it took Thomas Jones years to get going too" unfortunately Joe McKnight will NEVER be a starting or even a serviceable back in this league-he should be cut

Nope. You can't take a spot from either Chauncey Washington or Danny Woodhead for him.

Woodhead offers some nice options on special teams coverage and as a versatile guy on offense, mostly in the passing game. And based on what I saw this preseason the Jets need to have 3 RBs active each week. I feel more comfortable with Washington being the3rd.

Pound the ball Jets, pound the damn ball.

Joe McKnight will never amount to anything in the NFL-he will get NO touches this year...

I wouldn't be surprised if he's returning punts sometime this year.

I'd like to think it's a little early to start speculating on him being out of shape and fumbling next year. If that's the case, he's unlikely to have a single supporter. Least of all Rex.

Matt, you've seen enough of these kinds of kids studying the way you do with DD-this kid will never amount to anything-I'm trying to think of who he reminds me of...

before the draft i tried to predict the career outcomes for over 200 players. I had mcknight as a "fringe" player. Reason being he has all the talent in the world but either gets hurt or fumbles in a bad spot... both of which are not tolerated in the NFL.

before the draft i tried to predict the career outcomes for over 200 players. I had mcknight as a "fringe" player. Reason being he has all the talent in the world but either gets hurt or fumbles in a bad spot... both of which are not tolerated in the NFL.

who does he remind you of from say the past 5-7 years? Anybody?

Stash him on the practice squad and develop him. He's got the potential to be a playmaker once he gets some weight on him.

What we should see LT doing this year is what they want McKnight to do for the offense.

i don't think they can just put a player under contract on the practice squad, can they? i think they need to cut him and then he has to agree to practice squad. If I am wrong, then def place him on practice squad and give us both Chauncy and Chrebet, err I mean Woodhead.

And because of this, their defense is suspect and if you had anyone other than Beiber and Bellycheat leading that team, they'd be picked to finish right above the Bills this year. So, yeah, they stockpile picks, but that hurt their chances last year and this year. Makes them re-tooling.

Archived