Please fire or demote Shotty, Thank You.

ECURB

Fire Shotty?  

113 members have voted

1. 1. Should the JETS fire or demote Shotty?

• Yes
    • No

Calling Bill Callahan....

Schotty should design the plays, but Callahan should be in charge of the calls

Not sure if that is the answer. I have read some pretty convincing arguments that made me believe Callahan is in the right place with what he is doing now.

• Replies 439
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The offense has looked like crap for 3 straight games, getting progressively worse in each one. If you add in the opening day loss to the Ravens, the offense has sucked in 4 out of 7 games. On paper the offense looks pretty damn good, but apparently Schotty can't make it work.

Except you really are. This Scooby-Doo argument you've chosen to stick to that's based on a logic that states: "We would have won if those crazy kids had run my plays right," is just full of so many holes. Ambiguously you can say the same thing for any coach on any level, and it's impossible to rebut because once you base your argument in the realm of unprovable disproof, the discussion becomes pointless. Yet we live in a world where coaches get fired, hired, demoted, and promoted. Seems to me that probably happens for a reason.

The 2nd year QB started the first 5 games of the season without throwing an INT. I just think it's more possible that Sanchez is just regressing to what normal 2nd year QBs do than it is the wrong plays are being called. There's no playcall that stops flags, dropped passes, and bad decisions.

The Packers had 3 penalties for 15 yards. The Jets had 7 penalties for 55 yards. That's a pretty significant gap. The Packers had 0 turnovers on offense, the Jets had 2. I heard the Jets has as many as 6 significant dropped passes today. That's going to hurt.

The team wasn't in it. The coaches didn't get them in it. There's blame for the coaches. Maybe they weren't prepared mentally. Maybe they weren't prepared physically. Whatever it was, that's on the coaches. Coming out of the bye like that does not reflect well.

I also have on clue as to why you think alot of this isn't due to Sanchez playing more like a 2nd year QB and getting 2nd year QB breaks (minus that PI call). It's hard to keep that INT tally to 0. Anyone on here think Sanchez would have less than 10 INTs this season before the season?

Not sure if that is the answer. I have read some pretty convincing arguments that made me believe Callahan is in the right place with what he is doing now.

Everywhere (and positions) Callahan has had in his career he's has improved that facet of the team. See Oakland, see Nebraska and see our O-line. IMO I think he's grossly underrated for his work especially with the development of Slauson (a Callahan guy) this year. Schotty is riding the fact that his father is Marty and will use that name to get himself a HC job in the future -- hopefully sooner than later

The 2nd year QB started the first 5 games of the season without throwing an INT. I just think it's more possible that Sanchez is just regressing to what normal 2nd year QBs do than it is the wrong plays are being called. There's no playcall that stops flags, dropped passes, and bad decisions.

He missed a wide open Braylon Edwards. He was in back of the secondary by a wide margin. They were on the 10. That should have been a 90 TD. That is on Sanchez.

I hate to agree with you but I have to in this case, haha.

Play-calls run 2-minute drills. Play-calls determine motions, double-reverses, run/pass ratios, protection schemes, personnel packages, and they frame clock management. Play-calls are what an opposing defense plans for after studying film of your obvious tendencies. Play-calling is what can save a game when one aspect of a unit is having a bad game. If you don't think all of these are heavily relevant to the Baltimore and Green Bay losses, as well as barely skating by against Minnesota and Denver, not only are you relying on fallacies from every angle to prove your point, but you're also being a revisionist.

It does not all come down to execution. This makes no sense. It infers that play-calling and coaching have absolutely no bearing on anything because as long as the players run any play correctly, they will always succeed. You know very well that this is not the case.

Actually, he doesn't. He's been making this argument for months now, and has no idea how idiotic it is. Trust me, I and many other have tried to explain it to him, but he's clearly completely incapable of comprehending that concept.

It does not all come down to execution. This makes no sense. It infers that play-calling and coaching have absolutely no bearing on anything because as long as the players run any play correctly, they will always succeed. You know very well that this is not the case.

I think the problem was that the real bad misses by the players (Sanchez missing Edwards wide open, Cotch's drop, Holmes drop,etc...) had no way of being overcome due to poor situational playcalling. Players are always going to make mistakes. Thats life. The problem is the coaches have to almost always have them in a position to win. He doesnt do that.

Why call what seems like your first screen of the year when you have Shonn Greene in the game rather than the guy you brought in to catch the ball?

Why bother having Ben Hartsock split wide while Braylon Edwards sits on the bench?

Why have your QB sneak the football on 1st and 10?

Why constantly have guys running down the field against a team that does not often give up big pass plays?

Why call plays on 3rd and 4th downs that are calls made for situations when the clock reads 30 seconds rather than 3 minutes?

The list goes on and on. There has been no flow to the Jets offense for a few weeks now. Its almost as if they get into a habit of calling plays in a vacuum rather than as a series of plays. Its all big play shots. Just because the team got lucky in Denver doesnt make that play right. Coaches have to be smart enough to realize they got away with one there. I thought the Jets were but they seemed to be running the same type of stuff this week. When you dont get the 20 yard run from LT or the 30 yard TD from Edwards then the offense does this. When you lose the field position battle, the big play, if it exists, only gets you into the opposing territory rather than in the end zone. Im not sure if that is all on Schott or not, but they have to start drilling it into Sanchez' head that this is not just a sandlot bit play game. His completion percentage has been so bad all year that you have to start going back to those short three step drop passes just to try to get the offense into a flow. But they arent doing that right now. Its only cost them a game so far, but it could easily have been 3 games.

It requires both. For some bizarre reason you refuse to acknowledge this. It doesn't matter what plays you choose to attempt to execute if they're called untimely, incorrectly, and repetitively; and especially when the opposing defense acknowledges after the game that they knew exactly what you were about to run as soon as they saw your formations.

This is the part that left me speechless. Schotty admitted in a recent interview that after the bye week he went back and reviewed his play-calling and realized he had a lot more tendencies in his play-calling then he realized (yeah, big f'n shocker there). He specifically talked about taking that time to work on eliminating that issue, and then calls one of his single most predictable games ever. I felt like Paul Hackett was back with how me and Yellin were calling every upcoming play when they walked to the line of scrimmage. About the only time there wasn't a predictable call, the play was so atrociously bad it lost 8 yards and nearly lost the Jets the ball. It's really truly baffling.

Play-calls run 2-minute drills. Play-calls determine motions, double-reverses, run/pass ratios, protection schemes, personnel packages, and they frame clock management. Play-calls are what an opposing defense plans for after studying film of your obvious tendencies. Play-calling is what can save a game when one aspect of a unit is having a bad game. If you don't think all of these are heavily relevant to the Baltimore and Green Bay losses, as well as barely skating by against Minnesota and Denver, not only are you relying on fallacies from every angle to prove your point, but you're also being a revisionist.

And again, a playcall will not actually run you the ball or catch you that pass. When big plays are missed, they are hard to get back. When the Jets could have had something on offense, they didn't take it or get it. Games like that happen.

Also:

1. Coverages determine motion as much as playcall does. The point of motioning is to make it easier for a possible playmaker. That is why QBs often call motions.

2. Protection schemes on a veteran O-line are second nature. A good O-line adjusts the protection scheme to what they see. The Jets O-line is probably the most intelligent unit on the team.

I think you really want them to be a major part of the losses. Go ahead, I just think there's plenty of holes in that.

Ah losses....*breathes it in merrily*

I think the problem was that the real bad misses by the players (Sanchez missing Edwards wide open, Cotch's drop, Holmes drop,etc...) had no way of being overcome due to poor situational playcalling. Players are always going to make mistakes. Thats life. The problem is the coaches have to almost always have them in a position to win. He doesnt do that.

Bingo. They ran 69 plays on offense. Won the TOP battle at 31+. Can't put the loss on 10 plays. Plenty of chances to score in spite of all the mistakes. Including not one, but two end of half possessions that were done in by poor playcalling. Dude folds on the mic when there's limited time and has been doing so for quite some time. People forget this is his 5th year doing this crap. "Learning on the job" time is over. Get it done or go away.

Why call what seems like your first screen of the year when you have Shonn Greene in the game rather than the guy you brought in to catch the ball?

Why bother having Ben Hartsock split wide while Braylon Edwards sits on the bench?

Why have your QB sneak the football on 1st and 10?

Why constantly have guys running down the field against a team that does not often give up big pass plays?

Why call plays on 3rd and 4th downs that are calls made for situations when the clock reads 30 seconds rather than 3 minutes?

The one that boggled me the most was the 3rd and 1 call at the end of the first. That is a textbook call right there. Even Belichick doesn't have the cojones to not sneak it there.

The list goes on and on. There has been no flow to the Jets offense for a few weeks now. Its almost as if they get into a habit of calling plays in a vacuum rather than as a series of plays. Its all big play shots. Just because the team got lucky in Denver doesnt make that play right. Coaches have to be smart enough to realize they got away with one there. I thought the Jets were but they seemed to be running the same type of stuff this week. When you dont get the 20 yard run from LT or the 30 yard TD from Edwards then the offense does this. When you lose the field position battle, the big play, if it exists, only gets you into the opposing territory rather than in the end zone. Im not sure if that is all on Schott or not, but they have to start drilling it into Sanchez' head that this is not just a sandlot bit play game. His completion percentage has been so bad all year that you have to start going back to those short three step drop passes just to try to get the offense into a flow. But they arent doing that right now. Its only cost them a game so far, but it could easily have been 3 games.

There's no variety within the variety. When every play seems blatantly readable from even the fan's perspective...it just makes you scratch your head.

BTW, what's the deal with Merriman? Any shot or no? Do you think Cotch is a goner next year?

I think you really want them to be a major part of the losses. Go ahead, I just think there's plenty of holes in that.

Yes, that's it. I'm making this all up for the fun of it because I want you to be wrong. It's not like Ryan said all of this himself post-game, or that Green Bay's defense reiterated it as well. It's just what I want.

Yes, that's it. I'm making this all up for the fun of it because I want you to be wrong. It's not like Ryan said all of this himself post-game, or that Green Bay's defense reiterated it as well. It's just what I want.

Rex Ryan said playcalling is the most significant reason for today's game? Well sh*t...shoulda just said that to start.

I mean seriously...You can't tell me the guy is sitting there going "don't throw it to Braylon this week." It was a bad week. 2nd year QBs have those.

He specifically talked about taking that time to work on eliminating that issue, and then calls one of his single most predictable games ever.

It just feel like he does this too often. 1-2 games where things click and then 2-3 games where everything he does makes you scratch your head. People forget this isn't just some fluke string of games, this is the definition of his tenure here and halfway into his 5th season I think most of us have had enough.

It just feel like he does this too often. 1-2 games where things click and then 2-3 games where everything he does makes you scratch your head. People forget this isn't just some fluke string of games, this is the definition of his tenure here and halfway into his 5th season I think most of us have had enough.

This again...Which offense should have been top 10 under the Schotty tyranny? The Chad Pennington led one or the Chad Penington + Kellen Clemens one? Or was it the Brett Favre one that finished 9th in points despite the QB tanking the last 5 games? Or was it the Sanchez year 1 one? I've been pondering this for a while and should it have been all of them all along? I always ask to get some input and everyone kind of just drives around it.

This is set to last a week? Jeebus.

Bingo. They ran 69 plays on offense. Won the TOP battle at 31+. Can't put the loss on 10 plays. Plenty of chances to score in spite of all the mistakes. Including not one, but two end of half possessions that were done in by poor playcalling. Dude folds on the mic when there's limited time and has been doing so for quite some time. People forget this is his 5th year doing this crap. "Learning on the job" time is over. Get it done or go away.

The one that boggled me the most was the 3rd and 1 call at the end of the first. That is a textbook call right there. Even Belichick doesn't have the cojones to not sneak it there.

There's no variety within the variety. When every play seems blatantly readable from even the fan's perspective...it just makes you scratch your head.

BTW, what's the deal with Merriman? Any shot or no? Do you think Cotch is a goner next year?

I think Merriman is just shot. That said the team is in desperate need of a pass rusher. I bet if the team could redo their draft they would have taken a shot on one or two rather than taking all these guys who dont even suit up. Most likely Cotch will be here next year. The net cap savings for trading/releasing him is basically zero so it serves no purpose to dump him. His trade value will be lower than low. When he was the two his numbers were so far below the norms for a number 2 it made me wonder if he is hurt and just not saying it. He looks like a completely different player out there. Hes almost useless, especially since Sanchez throws to him more than any other receiver other than Keller. Right now I think the Jets would function better if he was on the bench and Sanchez was forced to look elsewhere.

I think Merriman is just shot. That said the team is in desperate need of a pass rusher. I bet if the team could redo their draft they would have taken a shot on one or two rather than taking all these guys who dont even suit up. Most likely Cotch will be here next year. The net cap savings for trading/releasing him is basically zero so it serves no purpose to dump him.

Gotcha, he was my hope for something at least. Any chance of keeping Harris and Cro?

Gotcha, he was my hope for something at least. Any chance of keeping Harris and Cro?

Tough call on both. I think the Jets are helped by the fact that Harris gets almost no publicity for what he does. His agents have to know he isnt getting anywhere near Willis money. That works in the Jets favor. Cromartie is going to be dependent on how much they want to invest in the secondary. They have a bazillion in Revis and decent money in a first round pick. The fact that Wilson stinks and that the Jets have no rusher works in Cros favor, but Im guessing hell be in the ballpark of 8-9 million per year. They will have some cap flexibility by tinkering with the Sanchez, Ghost, and Woody deals and releasing Thomas and Jenkins before his roster bonus kicks in so its possible, but they have to keep at least one of the two wide receivers, which wont be cheap either. My guess is one stays and one goes, though they could go wild and bring back both and totally sacrifice depth if the team falls just short of the championship.

Tough call on both. I think the Jets are helped by the fact that Harris gets almost no publicity for what he does. His agents have to know he isnt getting anywhere near Willis money. That works in the Jets favor. Cromartie is going to be dependent on how much they want to invest in the secondary. They have a bazillion in Revis and decent money in a first round pick. The fact that Wilson stinks and that the Jets have no rusher works in Cros favor, but Im guessing hell be in the ballpark of 8-9 million per year. They will have some cap flexibility by tinkering with the Sanchez, Ghost, and Woody deals and releasing Thomas and Jenkins before his roster bonus kicks in so its possible, but they have to keep at least one of the two wide receivers, which wont be cheap either. My guess is one stays and one goes, though they could go wild and bring back both and totally sacrifice depth if the team falls just short of the championship.

Smith too, no? Ihedigbo?

Sorry to hock you bro, haven't seen you around in a while.

So let me get this straight Sanchez Is rolling to his left trying to make a play (OBVIOUSLY LOOKING LEFT) and you guys want him to see Edwards Coming open on the other side of the field ? Explain to me how in the hell Sanchez makes that throw ? It seems to me Edwards was probably Sanchez's first read and when he began to roll out to the left Woodson simply released Edwards since there was no possible way Sanchez could have made that throw. NO WAY. Stop making excuses for our idiot OC and pay attention to whats happening Just because Daryl Johnston Showed you Edwards streaking open does not mean the play was possible its just a color announcer pointing something out without telling you why a pass to Edwards was next to impossible on that play while running from persuit.

Smith too, no? Ihedigbo?

Sorry to hock you bro, haven't seen you around in a while.

No prob RJF. Digs should be here. I cant see a market for him and he signed his tender quickly last year. Only way he wont be back is if the team sours on him and doesnt wantt o pay him around 1 million as they did with Wright. Smith will probably go. Hes probably more valuable to the Jets than any other team, but he gets enough publicity to where I can see a team overpaying him thinking they are getting a QB/WR/KR type that hasnt been given enough of a chance to be an offensive force, which is far from the truth. The Jets, who dont put value on kick returners anyway, will never match such an offer.

I voted yes, but i do not think firing or demoting schotty this late in the season is such a good idea. I think if it is gonna be done, you do it either when there is no hope we've made the playoffs, or in the offseason. We might have been able to do it during the bye week, but its too late for that.

Fire him already... or at least demote him like was done with Sutton...

Pennington and Favre are the proof that it IS Shotty messing things up, they both looked better elsewhere when they left. He is going to ruin Sanchez.

Other than being an easy scapegoat, what did Shotty do to lose the game yesterday?

Did he complete 42% of the passes, missed wide open receivers and underthrew a sure TD pass?

IMO, he called a pretty good game but the players did not execute.

Shotty is the least of the Jets offensive problems.

I voted yes, but i do not think firing or demoting schotty this late in the season is such a good idea. I think if it is gonna be done, you do it either when there is no hope we've made the playoffs, or in the offseason. We might have been able to do it during the bye week, but its too late for that.

I would agree with this if we had no one to step in but we have 2 guys that are totally familiar with the offense who could easily step in without a hitch Callahan or Cavanaugh I prefer Callahan becuase he has had success running offenses in the past.

Other than being an easy scapegoat, what did Shotty do to lose the game yesterday?

Did he complete 42% of the passes, missed wide open receivers and underthrew a sure TD pass?

Tx Im sure you love sh*tty. You love him.

Hey, maybe you should email this request to weatherford. supposedly he made the decision on the fake punt. Rex had no idea he was gonna do that.

Considering Westhoff gives him the power to make that call I am not upset about that play.

He is the easy scapegoat because his gameplan led to ZERO points.

Your argument against that is that Sanchez was not absolutely spot on perfect???

I am pretty sure if you hand any other OC this roster and put them against the packers they could put up 10 points.

He is the easy scapegoat because his gameplan led to ZERO points.

Your argument against that is that Sanchez was not absolutely spot on perfect???

I am pretty sure if you hand any other OC this roster and put them against the packers they could put up 10 points.

Sanchez did not have to be "spot on perfect" yesterday for the Jets to win.

If he puts the ball accurately on Holmes right shoulder on the crossing pattern and hits Edwards in stride the Jets win that game going away.

Sanchez was horrible yesterday.

Sanchez did not have to be "spot on perfect" yesterday for the Jets to win.

If he puts the ball accurately on Holmes right shoulder on the crossing pattern and hits Edwards in stride the Jets win that game going away.

Sanchez was horrible yesterday.

So basically if he nailed his throws they win? Well of course that holds true with any player in any game...

The point is that the offense has a ton of talent and Shotty when given time to develop a gameplan out thinks himself and causes games like this.

So basically if he nailed his throws they win? Well of course that holds true with any player in any game...

The point is that the offense has a ton of talent and Shotty when given time to develop a gameplan out thinks himself and causes games like this.

That's it in a nutshell.

Yesterday's goose egg had more to due with lack of execution than it did with Shotty's game plan.

Did you watch that 2nd to last series? How do you allow your QB to go sneak on 1st and 10 when you are in a position where you are playing for 4 downs and most likely going for a TD? How do you call all deep patterns on 3rd and 4th downs? Thats bizzare playcalling. Its like that final play in Denver and just because the Jets got lucky does not make it right. Unless Holmes was supposed to do something different and was covered too tightly, (which Ill admit is possible), there was no other pattern on the field even close to the first down marker. Edwards was running to the end zone. Cotchery was on a deep post. Keller was about 5 yards beyond where the Jets needed to go. You dont have to take crazy chances all game.

Secondly as an OC that has full power over the offense and playcalling you have to adjust. You see your QB stinks on the field. His accuracy has been awful all year and now his receivers have decided that its too tough to catch a football- you have to resort to running the football even when the fans boo you and the Jets arent breaking big runs. A 3-0 game is now dictating to you that the game has become a sloppy grind it out smashmouth game. You have to start playing field position and using your defense to get you a short field. You have to grab that feel for the game, realize what you wanted to do isnt working, and start to play more ball control move the sticks football. The Jets didnt do that. Their goal was to throw the ball 30 yards a pop, act like they were the greatest show on turf when one of those passes was actually caught, and then proceed to turn the ball over or drop the football right after those big plays. This has been an issue with this guy for years even if you want to give him the pass for the Favre season where Favre just decided to call his own shots those last couple of games.

Archived