Rick Ankiel

GimmeShelter

Remember how much upside this guy once had?

Rick Ankiel will attempt to convert to a full-time outfielder, effective immediatley.

That was sudden. Ankiel looked great last September, but says his mechanics were scrambled when he injured his elbow in winter ball. Ankiel was quite erractic early this spring. ''This whole time, that frustration has built up. I just really felt like it was eroding my spirits and starting to affect my personality off the field as well,'' Ankiel said Tuesday. Ankiel is out of options, so he'll need to make the team as an outfielder or get cut. Mar. 9 - 11:43 am et

Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch

I really can't see him making the team now and he's gotta know he has little to no chance.

Too bad he couldn't have hit Pujols in the head with a fastball before they turned him into and outfielder.

He is a hell of a hitter(Ankiel). When he was in minors working out his control problems he would DH on days he wasn't pitching.

Did you hear about Wood's shoulder Troll?

Hope it's not major for your Cubbies sake.

He is a hell of a hitter(Ankiel). When he was in minors working out his control problems he would DH on days he wasn't pitching.

Did you hear about Wood's shoulder Troll?

Hope it's not major for your Cubbies sake.

Yes, I've heard about it.

I'm sure he'll be out 'til June. That's the way things go in Cubland. :roll:

I remember back in 2000 when I went to Game 3 of the Mets eventual sweep over St. Louis in the NLCS, and with the Mets up 4-0, La Russa decided to put Ankiel in. I remember at least 3 pitches going well over the catcher's head and hitting the backstop either on the fly or a few bounces. Pretty hilarious.

I heard a rumor where the Cardinals are doing this because they are out of options with Ankiel, so by calling him an OF, they can drop him to the minors and nobody will touch him. Once he clears waivers, theyll work him as a pitcher again.

Interesting Brody and yes Jetsfn80 that Mets play-off game was the most shocking thing I have seen on the field.

Archived