Dolphins trying to move in on Jim Harbaugh?

T0mShane

The Dolphins just became a lot easier to beat. Say what you want about Sparano, but he coached extremely well against the Jets in his three years in South Beach.

This is such a classless move by the Miami organization and I hope that somehow Harbaugh backs out and decides on San Francisco or Michigan instead just to spite Miami and leave them crawling back with their tails between their legs.

To drag Sparano through the mud like this is completely classless and pathetic.

Have fun with Harbaugh he'll fit right in with Saban, Pettrino, Spurrier, etc.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

harbaugh might work out. but i dont understand making the highest paid Hc in the league. what has he done to deserve all this hype? winning in college is not an indication of nfl dominance. if this fails ross will have made an even bigger mockery of the dolphins.

i dont care about the money part. It's not mine. The 9er's are aparantly offering him 5 mil, whats another 3 mil?

The Dolphins just became a lot easier to beat. Say what you want about Sparano, but he coached extremely well against the Jets in his three years in South Beach.

This is such a classless move by the Miami organization and I hope that somehow Harbaugh backs out and decides on San Francisco or Michigan instead just to spite Miami and leave them crawling back with their tails between their legs.

To drag Sparano through the mud like this is completely classless and pathetic.

Have fun with Harbaugh he'll fit right in with Saban, Pettrino, Spurrier, etc.

Just because it hasnt been reported in the media yet, we don't know if Ross went face to face with Sparano and already notified him he's been fired.

I'm not a fan of the rule, either. It's good intentioned, but doesn't work in the real world.

That said, a minority candidate who interviews with the fish after all these published reports comes off as an Uncle Tom and little else. He'd lose the respect of his colleagues and some players as well. It would not be a good career move. The rule's in place to get minorities meaningful interviews, not sham interviews.

BTW, this really is not the general consensus. I highly suggest reading Advancing the Ball by Jeremi Duju (a Temple law prof who covered this entire topic very, very well). For the most part, the opinion in the minority coaching community is that the interview experience itself is very valuable; and perhaps more importantly, it puts their name in to the existing pool of HC candidates.

Just because it hasnt been reported in the media yet, we don't know if Ross went face to face with Sparano and already notified him he's been fired.

This has been going on for days, not just today.

Pathetic, classless move by Miami organization.

beats me. I'm not a big Harbaugh fan. Eventually one of these guys has to pan out for us.......I hope.

Ross really needs to clear up his GM picture if this was all Petersen and zero Ireland.

If Ireland stays, what respect will Harbaugh have for Ireland knowing he had no input into his hire as HC?

I can see canning Sparano and rolling the dice on Harbaugh but this GM aspect makes no sense unless Petersen gets a formal title like Parcells had.

Theoretical Ireland interview of Harbaugh:

So Jim uh, The Dolphins organization would love to have you onboard as the next HC of the Miami Dolphins but before I can offer you a contract I have to ask you Uh.............. is your mom now or at anytime ever been a prostitute or crack ho?

Sorry, cheap shot just couldnt help it.

Peterson from what i heard is doing some consulting for the fins in regards to the new HC.

Wait, this is the guy that couldn't wait to "steal" Herm away from the Jets. Bwahahahaha.

I could consult and recommend overpaying for a college coach too, thanks for your valuable input Carl. The last college coach to have a successful pro career was Jimmy Johnson, 20 YEARS AGO!! This is good stuff.

Ross really needs to clear up his GM picture if this was all Petersen and zero Ireland.

If Ireland stays, what respect will Harbaugh have for Ireland knowing he had no input into his hire as HC?

I can see canning Sparano and rolling the dice on Harbaugh but this GM aspect makes no sense unless Petersen gets a formal title like Parcells had.

Theoretical Ireland interview of Harbaugh:

So Jim uh, The Dolphins organization would love to have you onboard as the next HC of the Miami Dolphins but before I can offer you a contract I have to ask you Uh.............. is your mom now or at anytime ever been a prostitute or crack ho?

Sorry, cheap shot just couldnt help it.

lol. I can't believe Ireland is getting a free pass, he's as much to blame as Morano. The reason they won't even approach Cowher is because he has made it clear he wants full control and the fins will not part with ireland.

BTW, this really is not the general consensus. I highly suggest reading Advancing the Ball by Jeremi Duju. For the most part, the opinion in the minority coaching community is that the interview experience itself is very valuable; and perhaps more importantly, it puts their name in to the existing pool of HC candidates.

I think there are different levels of interviews. In this case, where the team has clearly already determined who they plan to hire, I don't believe it to be a positive experience. There's a difference between being a longshot candidate, and having absolutely no shot at all. Who's profile really gets raised in a situation like this? If the fish try to get around it, they'll probably look to interview a minority candidate that Harbaugh tells them is on his radar for a coordinator position. That would be the best case scenario for anyone interviewing.

fwiw, I think the rule itself has done good, and that the number of minority coordinators will keep minorities moving thru the pipeline in the future. For all it's imperfections, it's probably best that it stay in place for a while longer, though.

Wait, this is the guy that couldn't wait to "steal" Herm away from the Jets. Bwahahahaha.

I could consult and recommend overpaying for a college coach too, thanks for your valuable input Carl. The last college coach to have a successful pro career was Jimmy Johnson, 20 YEARS AGO!! This is good stuff.

Harbaugh is the big name right now. I'm sure the owner Ross being a Michigan Man and Harbaugh obviously being a wolverine is playing a part.

I think there are different levels of interviews. In this case, where the team has clearly already determined who they plan to hire, I don't believe it to be a positive experience. There's a difference between being a longshot candidate, and having absolutely no shot at all. Who's profile really gets raised in a situation like this? If the fish try to get around it, they'll probably look to interview a minority candidate that Harbaugh tells them is on his radar for a coordinator position. That would be the best case scenario for anyone interviewing.

fwiw, I think the rule itself has done good, and that the number of minority coordinators will keep minorities moving thru the pipeline in the future. For all it's imperfections, it's probably best that it stay in place for a while longer, though.

All of what you point out here is very true.

To take it one step further,the only way I see the Rooney rule becoming passe is if and when 25-35% of the teams are owned by minorities. (majority ownership)

There are certain contexts in which an interview isn't legit. However, there's still the actual interview for the candidate, which is an experience itself that holds value (I don't think you even need to be a coach to know that job interviews themselves are great experiences for your professional life). And sometimes, you just never know. Look at Marvin Lewis. Cincinnati had never so much as interviewed one minority candidate in the history of the organization, and after LeBeau was fired, Coughlin was supposedly a shoe-in and Lewis was just the token black guy they were interviewing to satisfy the then brand-new rule (despite his successes as a DC). Next thing they knew, Lewis knocked their socks off in his interview and they went with him.

I don't think it should ever go anywhere. It sets an example for other sports. The NCAA desperately needs a Rooney Rule (see: everything that Auburn's done the past several years). Oregon took it upon itself to implement their own after the NFL's. Dutch Baughman "suggested" that every school interview at least one minority candidate a while ago and the number's already gone up. Baseball has its own unwritten one too since.

There are certain contexts in which an interview isn't legit. However, there's still the actual interview for the candidate, which is an experience itself that holds value (I don't think you even need to be a coach to know that job interviews themselves are great experiences for your professional life). And sometimes, you just never know. Look at Marvin Lewis. Cincinnati had never so much as interviewed one minority candidate in the history of the organization, and after LeBeau was fired, Coughlin was supposedly a shoe-in and Lewis was just the token black guy they were interviewing to satisfy the then brand-new rule (despite his successes as a DC). Next thing they knew, Lewis knocked their socks off in his interview and they went with him.

There's definitely some legitimacy to it. Hell, even look at the Steelers of all teams. It was considered all but a certainty when Cowher retired that they were going to be picking between Whisenhunt or Grimm to replace him. Tomlin pretty much came out of left field and took that job, and this is for the team who's owner the rule is named for.

There's definitely some legitimacy to it. Hell, even look at the Steelers of all teams. It was considered all but a certainty when Cowher retired that they were going to be picking between Whisenhunt or Grimm to replace him. Tomlin pretty much came out of left field and took that job, and this is for the team who's owner the rule is named for.

Yup. That was pretty much the thinking of the Fritz Pollard Alliance when it was created. Just get the guy in the door for the interview and see how things go. And it's worked.

I'm a true believer that you should interview for any job you are interested in whether you are a longshot candidate or have no shot at all. There is nothing negative that can come from going through an interview process and not getting the job. Its an experience and acclimating yourself with the process is extremely valuable and cant be duplicated. It will only make you more comfortable the next time you have the opportunity.

Interviewing is always a good experience no matter the context. Interviewing takes practice. You could role play interviews all you want, but its nothing like the real thing. And you should never interview to raise your profile. If you're getting offered to interview, then your profile already speaks for itself. Its the experience of interviewing that you cant replace.

they can stop him from being promoted??? Who can clarify this?

Callahan is currently the Jets Assistant Head Coach, so a coordinator job wouldn't be a promotion, anyway...

But teams can block other teams from hiring their assistants away, regardless. I believe the only thing they can't block is a promotion to head coach. And even that I'm not sure about.

they can stop him from being promoted???

I'm pretty sure the NFL changed the rules a few years back, because there were too many teams using the "Assistant Head Coach" loophole to steal other team's coordinators as their own. Now the only time a team is required to allow one of their assistant coaches to interview for another team is if it's for a head coaching position. Even still, Callahan is already the Jets AHC anyway, so I'm not sure how the seniority would rank there compared to an OC position, but I'm fairly certain it's no longer an issue. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on that though.

The only other addition to my above post is that the reason you still see a lot of position coaches get promoted to coordinator jobs with other teams is because I think it's a generally accepted rule around the NFL that you don't block your coaches from getting a promotion. It's a quick way to keep anyone else who's on their way up from coming to work for you. That said, I think even that's usually pretty much ignored when you're talking about division rivals, but I guess you never know.

i wonder IF Callahan wanted to leave if the Jets would be dicks and say no, knowing he rather be with the dolphins.

That's honestly the only way I could see it happening. If he actually went to the Jets and asked to be released from the team so he could pursue other options. Then MAYBE it would happen. That said, I can't imagine him doing that without already having a guaranteed new job, and with the Dolphins unlikely to be granted an interview, not sure how that would all come together in a way that wouldn't result in the Jets filing tampering charges. It could happen, I just think it's doubtful.

I really am not too worried about Harbaugh going to the fins. He is a great college coach but I don't know if he's going to transfer as well to the NFL even if he does use a pro style offense in college. He is very much a motivator type coach who's players may get sick of that after awhile in the NFL. Also no way is he worth 7 mil a year, and the fins are still stuck with Jeff Ireland and Carl peterson (who apparently has been involved in the coaching hire)

Also I think this makes the Dolphins look like an extremely sh*tty and untrustworthy organization. They are going after another coach practically openly while they still have one under contract who they are letting just twist in the wind. If I was a coach I'd want to avoid them in the future.

I really am not too worried about Harbaugh going to the fins. He is a great college coach but I don't know if he's going to transfer as well to the NFL even if he does use a pro style offense in college. He is very much a motivator type coach who's players may get sick of that after awhile in the NFL. Also no way is he worth 7 mil a year, and the fins are still stuck with Jeff Ireland and Carl peterson (who apparently has been involved in the coaching hire)

Also I think this makes the Dolphins look like an extremely sh*tty and untrustworthy organization. They are going after another coach practically openly while they still have one under contract who they are letting just twist in the wind. If I was a coach I'd want to avoid them in the future.

Plus he has sh*t to work with @ QB

According to Jason La Canfora, Stanford has made a bigger offer to Harbaugh and it is possible he returns to stanford because of Luck returning.

No no, this can't be right. Harbaugh's their guy and Miami should be allowed to circumvent the Rooney Rule because he's the only one they want in the whole wide world.

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but what does it say about Jim Harbaugh that he'd even agree to interview for the Dolphins job while Sparano is still the coach? That's a f*cking scumbag move.

Sucks for Sparano.

He needs to try and get himself fired like George Costanza did with the Yankees. Drag the statue of Marino around tied to the back of his car.

Bwahahaha... well that went well. The Dolphins are a freakin' disaster.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5997519

Source: Dolphins to retain Tony Sparano

* Email

* Print

* Comments

ESPN.com news services

The Miami Dolphins will retain head coach Tony Sparano, a source told ESPN's Chris Mortensen on Thursday night.

Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh met earlier Thursday with Dolphins owner Stephen Ross in the San Francisco area about the Dolphins' job, sources told Mortensen.

Ross resumed the meeting Thursday night with Harbaugh's agent, David Dunn, in Southern California after the Dolphins owner traveled south to satisfy an unrelated business commitment following his meeting with Harbaugh, the sources said.

Ross' goal is to have clarity on where he stands with Harbaugh. Ross hoped to persuade the Stanford coach to take the job and travel to Miami on his private jet to introduce him as his new coach by Friday or this weekend, the sources added.

Sparano will fulfill the final year on his contract. He has been working this week at the team's complex in Davie, Fla., and when he took an afternoon walk Thursday, he encountered a cluster of media staking out the facility.

"You guys need to find a better hobby," Sparano said.

Archived