The punt fake

Jetsfan80

Does this go down as Belichick's biggest blunder? The fact that he wouldn't even comment on it in the postgame spoke volumes. At least the 4th & 2 play against the Colts made SOME sense (make it, Pats win, fall short, Manning was still going to get the ball). This one was simply misguided and stupid.

Thoughts?

Clock management was way, way worse. When I realized he was eating up the entire quarter in the 4th down by 2 scores with the way his defense had been playing, it became pretty clear at that point that he was dropping the ball. It was one of those 'is he really handing us the game?' type moments.

Of course, you can trace that back to not having one player on the team capable of a quick strike, but that's a whole other matzah ball.

Clock management was way, way worse. When I realized he was eating up the entire quarter in the 4th down by 2 scores with the way his defense had been playing, it became pretty clear at that point that he was dropping the ball. It was one of those 'is he really handing us the game?' type moments.

Of course, you can trace that back to not having one player on the team capable of a quick strike, but that's a whole other matzah ball.

It was terrible. I know most of the press wont touch on it because he is so respected and those guys are desperate for access, but if that was any other coach in the the NFL he would be getting slaughtered for how they ran that 4th quarter. Part of it was the fact that they were totally baffled by the defense and I think they needed to see the subs and where guys were lining up before they even made the calls, but just no sense of urgency at all. That drive right at the 2 minute warning was nuts. Down 10 you have to score quick there. Either a TD or a FG. Once you move into FG range you have to start taking chances down the field and not dinking and dunking across the middle for 4 yard gains. He went with all those run call that drive too which just ate up time. I get the idea that they had issues passing, but the Pats dont have a gamebreaker runner that can get the 30-40 yard gain. Green-ellis is like a 10 yard long type guy and Woodhead isnt a runner. He has to get the ball off screens in space like on the opening drive. Any other coach and he would get slaughtered for an awful game.

It was terrible. I know most of the press wont touch on it because he is so respected and those guys are desperate for access, but if that was any other coach in the the NFL he would be getting slaughtered for how they ran that 4th quarter. Part of it was the fact that they were totally baffled by the defense and I think they needed to see the subs and where guys were lining up before they even made the calls, but just no sense of urgency at all. That drive right at the 2 minute warning was nuts. Down 10 you have to score quick there. Either a TD or a FG. Once you move into FG range you have to start taking chances down the field and not dinking and dunking across the middle for 4 yard gains. He went with all those run call that drive too which just ate up time. I get the idea that they had issues passing, but the Pats dont have a gamebreaker runner that can get the 30-40 yard gain. Green-ellis is like a 10 yard long type guy and Woodhead isnt a runner. He has to get the ball off screens in space like on the opening drive. Any other coach and he would get slaughtered for an awful game.

Whats funny is the Pats had nothing in the passing game but never went to the run which was there if they wanted to exploit it. Thats a big coaching gaff IMHO. It was something I saw the Jets do more than a few times the last few years and I called our coaching staff out on it no reason Beilchick should not be called out as well.

Nope, he makes it (And they should have) and they'd be calling it genius.

It was a good call because it was there to be made, just backfired in the worst way.

Huge momentum swing if they make it. Belli knew he needed a lead to win this game and ride the momentum. They are not designed to catch up. their 8+ minute drive for no points sealed their fate.

BB got outcoached, but I don't think the fake punt was directly his call. He seemed pretty pissed at Chung afterwards. I think it was similar to the situation where Weatherford faked it against Green Bay for us. They have players who read the defense and have the liberty to make fake calls.

That being said, it's ALWAYS a bad idea to fake it in your own territory. The fake in the Bears game that we pulled was stupid and may have cost us that game. High Risk/Low reward situations are just bad ideas.

BB got outcoached, but I don't think the fake punt was directly his call. He seemed pretty pissed at Chung afterwards. I think it was similar to the situation where Weatherford faked it against Green Bay for us. They have players who read the defense and have the liberty to make fake calls.

That being said, it's ALWAYS a bad idea to fake it in your own territory. The fake in the Bears game that we pulled was stupid and may have cost us that game. High Risk/Low reward situations are just bad ideas.

Nothing low reward about a first and possession at all...Can't know it...fact is they were a less talented team and smoke and mirrors wasn't going to beat a pissed off, bigger, faster, and more physical team.

The word is that the fake punt was Chung's call to make and he made it. Belichick wouldn't shoulder the blame for it in his presser (preferring we to I). But let's face it, it's Belichick's responsibility, just like when Weatherford runs for it on 4th and 18, it's the coach's responsibility. The biggest gaffe of the game, that probably was the game right there.

If you font fake in your own territory you'll never fake. Teams leave part of their d on the field when you kick from their territory since they aren't going to return it anyway.

Archived