Could Leonard injury be a blessing in disguise?

Steveg

That's a tough call. Smith has certainly uped his game. I think Coleman has had a great year all around. However, I think losing Leonard was not a good thing, but I can see the positive effect it has had on the guys that have had to replace him. I'm really liking Smith these last few games.

No way in hell. This defense was due to breakout. They spend so much time watching film and practicing sooner or later the real deal comes out in a game. What pisses me off is the failure of Vernon Gholston......another wasted draft pick earning alot of money here.

Answer.... no.

I would have to agree with this But...Greenies point is well taken

That's a tough call. Smith has certainly uped his game. I think Coleman has had a great year all around. However, I think losing Leonard was not a good thing, but I can see the positive effect it has had on the guys that have had to replace him. I'm really liking Smith these last few games.

It required Coleman and Smith to step up and fill the void and they have done so admirably. My hope is that they can keep up this improved level of play.

After all, it forced Smith, Poole, Lowry, and Coleman to really step up. In fact, I think Smith is just as physial as Leonard but his bigger size makes him more impactful. He's certainly as smart as Leonard..

Possibly. One thing is certain, though; your signature pic is WAY too big.

Also hearing rumors that Abe Elam wants to be a Jet again.........

Curious where you heard this? I was always a big fan of Abe, particularly when our choices were between him and Smith. Certainly not the greatest cover safety in the world but he could sure as hell lay hits and had a tendency to make the big play at just the right moment. At the very least, with all of the questions the Jets have at safety, he wouldn't be a horrible depth signing.

Lowery is probably an improvement in the pass defense. Smith is NOT. Smith is certainly more physical than Leonhard, but Leohnard is a midget. Smith is good at playing LB in the pass D, but he does not cover the ground that Leonhard does and IMO Lowery is the one that is probably as smart as Leonhard. Lowery was needed v. the Colts and Pats. We'll probably want more Smith and Ihedigbo v. the Steelers.

My question about Sunday is this: Wilson got some run in the 4th quarter. He seemed fine, but why? Was it to rest the injured guys or were they really putting everybody on the field?

No way in hell. This defense was due to breakout. They spend so much time watching film and practicing sooner or later the real deal comes out in a game. What pisses me off is the failure of Vernon Gholston......another wasted draft pick earning alot of money here.

buston is gone this offseason. he is one of the biggest busts ever in the history of the game. 3rd year here and he isn't even active for the play-offs, lol. i bet bitonti still won't say he's a bust though.

I love Leonhard but we saw him struggle at times this year with bigger receivers. A few weeks ago I'd have pegged Safety as our second-most needed upgrade after passrush. Now, I'm not so sure. We could certainly use a big, fast hitter back there, but these guys have stepped up and aren't hurting us at all right now.

BTW, Visa: what other high-priced draft pick do we have wasting money right now?

another wasted draft pick earning alot of money here.

I know I'm in the minority, but if you take away the fact that he's the "captain" and forgetting how smart everybody tells me he is, how great everyone tells me he was in Baltimore, how much Rex Ryan loves him, and how the media was telling me that we were in big trouble without him....and I guess the fact that he's one of those over-achieving, shrimp tough guys that we all love. I'm sorry. I just don't see it. He's too small to cover TE's, too short to cover tall receivers, and too slow to cover slot receivers and backs.

He's a tough dude, no question, but I wouldn't say he brings the hammer down on people. I'm not trying to rip JL, but I wouldn't mind an upgrade of both safeties, Leonhard and Pool (who makes Leonhard look like Ronnie Lott)

Never good when a quality player goes down.

Someone else said they thought it was good Brad Smith was out this week.

The same Brad Smith who was responsible for a few "W"s" this year.

Didnt look very good to me when LT took that snap.

i love brad smith, anyone know if he will be back for the game? i also wonder if mckenzie wishes he was back with us?

Archived