Evidence Shottenheimer has to go... goalline plays

aec4

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/jets-tipped-their-plays-on-steelers-goal-line-stand/

Jets tipped their plays on Steelers’ goal-line stand

Posted by Michael David Smith on January 26, 2011, 12:16 PM EST

lamarrwoodley

The Steelers’ goal-line stand against the Jets in the fourth quarter of the AFC Championship Game has been thoroughly discussed, but we should take a moment to mention the great analysis that NFL Network’s Playbook show had of those four plays, when the Jets started with first-and-goal from the 2-yard line and ended up getting stuffed on fourth-and-goal at the 1.

As Playbook demonstrated, the Jets were tipping their plays, especially when right tackle Wayne Hunter lined up in a two-point stance on third-and-goal from the 1-yard line, all but telling Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley that it was a pass, not a run.

“On third-and-1, your right tackle’s in a two-point stance,” Playbook analyst Brian Baldinger said. “Right now, LaMarr Woodley knows you’re not running the ball. You’re not running the ball out of a two-point stance on the goal line. Right there, that’s a dead giveaway. LaMarr Woodley doesn’t charge he just plays the ball and bats it down.”

As our friend Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports has pointed out, the Playbook analysis did a perfect job of illustrating that Woodley looked at Hunter’s stance and immediately knew a pass was coming, and it was easy for Woodley to simply stand there at the line of scrimmage, put his hands up and knock the pass down.

Baldinger also pointed out that on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line, there was a big hole in the middle of the Steelers’ defense — but only for a split-second, and by the time Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson got to the line of scrimmage, the hole was closed. Tomlinson, surprisingly, lined up seven yards behind the line of scrimmage on the play. If he had lined up five yards deep in the backfield, he might have gotten to the hole in time.

On a fourth-and-1 earlier in the same drive, the Jets had gone with an I-formation handoff up the gut to Shonn Greene, and Greene responded by plunging forward for two yards and a first down. Greene also picked up a yard on first-and-goal from the 2-yard line. But with three more tries to get one more yard, the Jets never went to Greene again, instead trying to get too cute with their play calling. The Steelers saw that coming all the way.

So either Hunter F'ed up, or the play called for him to be in that stance.... either way, it's poor coaching.

I just watched the play again. The OL started in a two point stance and then everyone dropped to a three point stance except for Hunter. To me that is his fault.

Why they didn't have Greene in on third and one and 4th and 1 I will never understand.

The second and goal from the one was rushed. You can see Santonio next to Schotty pointing to his ears basically saying Sanchez is having a problem with the radio. He doesn't get into the huddle until their are 12 seconds left. 28 seconds to call a play.

He had Keller open for the TD, he made a rushed throw.

Should have just taken the timeout and started over.

im gonna say it again... the problem isn't with the play calling or the coaches, it's trying to come back down 24 on the road in single digit temps. It's not an easy task for any football team, they got down too big too early.

Playcalling had something to do with it. It is definetly hard to come back on the road from a 24 point deficit, but if we score a td with 8 minutes left, and cut the steelers lead down to 7, it definetly would have improved our chances.

I just watched the play again. The OL started in a two point stance and then everyone dropped to a three point stance except for Hunter. To me that is his fault.

Why they didn't have Greene in on third and one and 4th and 1 I will never understand.

The second and goal from the one was rushed. You can see Santonio next to Schotty pointing to his ears basically saying Sanchez is having a problem with the radio. He doesn't get into the huddle until their are 12 seconds left. 28 seconds to call a play.

This is on the coaching. They NEED to have contingencies for things like the radio going out.... 2-3 plays per situation that Sanchez can call on his own if he can't get something in from the sideline.

Is Schotty bad?

KILLER KICKOFF: One of the most damaging plays was Antonio Brown's 27-yard kickoff return with three minutes to play. The good field position allowed the Steelers to be more aggressive on offense, sealing the Jets' demise. The Jets made the right decision by kicking deep -- no need for an onsides kick with three timeouts left -- but there was poor execution.

Nick Folk's kickoff was short (to the 14) and the coverage was sloppy. Brown slipped through the initial wave of would-be tacklers, Joe McKnight, Drew Coleman and James Ihedigbo. There was no reason for this, as the Steelers had their "hands" team on the field. The Steelers may have caught a break because Lawrence Timmons could've been flagged for clipping on Eric Smith.

WHAT WAS HE THINKING?: Offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer is taking heat for his play calling at the goal line, but the call that deserves to be ripped is his third-and-17 pass with 1:23 left in the first half. Down 17-0, Schottenheimer panicked. He should've taken the conservative approach and punted it back to the Steelers, getting the hell off the field and into the locker room. But he put Mark Sanchez in shotgun, taking an unnecessary risk. What were the odds of converting third-and-17? Maybe 10 percent?

The Steelers pulled a page out of the Jets' defensive playbook, a backside blitz with two DBs -- and Ike Taylor recorded a strip sack that resulted in a fumble recovery and touchdown. Sometimes you have to know when to say "uncle," and this was one of those times. In the end, Sanchez's fumble loomed large.

ACCIDENTAL PICK: The Jets caught an unlucky break on Ben Roethlisberger's 2-yard TD run. Roethlisberger broke containment to his right and went easily in the end zone, perhaps because LB Bart Scott was late on the scene. Scott was late because teammate Darrelle Revis, running across the formation to stay with in-motion receiver Mike Wallace, ran into him. LB Bryan Thomas was in the area, but he covered RB Rashard Mendenhall in the flat.

LAST TWO DAGGERS: On Roethlisberger's 14-yard completion to Heath Miller, Scott came free on a blitz, but he took a false step toward the inside -- a reaction to play action. That allowed Roethlisberger to break to his right, providing an extra second to find Miller. How Brodney Pool didn't bat down the pass is hard to figure.

On Big Ben's 14-yard pass to Antonio Brown, the final dagger, DT Mike DeVito pinched inside and let Roethlisberger break containment. That's all he needed to make his brilliant throw to Brown.

THIS AND THAT: Rob Turner replaced C Nick Mangold (hamstring) for five plays and did a nice job ... NT Sione Pouha had a nice season, but this wasn't one of his better games, especially considering he faced a backup center most of the game ... Gutty effort by WR Jerricho Cotchery, coming back from a painful leg injury ... Roethlisberger's passer rating (35.5) shows that ratings can be bogus. He played a terrific game, making so many plays (passing and running) with improv ... Outstanding games in coverage by Revis and Antonio Cromartie, but Cromartie had two costly penalties.

The kickoff analysis above is perfect. If they start from the 20 instead of the 40, they don't throw... too risky. Especially the 2nd throw... the 3rd and 6 throw. That was from our side of the field. Even if he throws a PICK the Jets have to go most the field. If they are on their 35, and he throws a pick, the jets get a short field... too risky, wouldn't have happened.

That kickoff screamed for one of those low bouncing ones since Folk didn't kick one real deep all game.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/01/26/jets-tipped-their-plays-on-steelers-goal-line-stand/

So either Hunter F'ed up, or the play called for him to be in that stance.... either way, it's poor coaching.

It has nothing to do with Hunter tipping the play. Maybe he did, maybe he didnt but the point should be that WE SHOULD HAVE POUNDED THE DAMN BALL INTO THE END ZONE! Not try to throw twice after Shonne had been running well, or at least been able to pick up 1 or 2 yards when he needed to.

It has nothing to do with Hunter tipping the play. Maybe he did, maybe he didnt but the point should be that WE SHOULD HAVE POUNDED THE DAMN BALL INTO THE END ZONE! Not try to throw twice after Shonne had been running well, or at least been able to pick up 1 or 2 yards when he needed to.

You miss the point. Sure, we should have run, but if you tip the defense, it doesn't matter if you run or pass, they have increased odds of stopping it.

the bottom line is that 37 year old offensive coordinators that are 12th overall in offense don't get fired. If he was 22nd or 32nd we could talk about it. 12th is trending upward and there's no obvious upgrade on the market to replace him with... so it's a moot point.

im gonna say it again... the problem isn't with the play calling or the coaches, it's trying to come back down 24 on the road in single digit temps. It's not an easy task for any football team, they got down too big too early.

And you don't think playcalling or coaching got them down 24-0 in the first place? The playcalling only kicks in during the second half amirite?

the bottom line is that 37 year old offensive coordinators that are 12th overall in offense don't get fired. If he was 22nd or 32nd we could talk about it. 12th is trending upward and there's no obvious upgrade on the market to replace him with... so it's a moot point.

The 2010 Jets started a 1st round pick at: LT, C, RT, RB, QB, WR, WR, TE

Yes, if we come out 2 WR, 2 RB, 1 TE, we play 7 1st round picks (6 if Greene Plays for LT).

A team with that much talent on the field is UNDERACHIEVING.

The age of the coordinator is meaningless.

This whole thing is ridiculous at this point. Greene ran it on first, got a yard. They took forever to get a play in, there was still 8 minutes to go, down 14 with the ball on the 1 yard line...plenty of time if you score. Down 7 with 8 to go, with the momentum the Jets had and the way they played in the 2nd half. I'm pretty confident we'd at least force over time.

If Keller catches that pass, we are not having this conversation. The time it took to get the call in, is irrelevant. Also, Sanchez should have said **** schotty, **** the radio and called a play. If they have so much confidence in the kid to the point they let him make the call in end game situations, then he needs to just call a huddle with his favorite play in and go.

So then comes the 3rd down call. Inside slant to Holmes. Probably there if Hunter doesnt completely blow it. He didnt even put a hand on Woodley, the OLB in that situation. You cant run a slant that short and let a LB who's on the LOS go untouched. Big mistake on Hunters part there.

Then the 4th down call. LT had a good burst, very good burst. Greene might have been the better call, who knows. But I dont think he's getting in. They blew that play the **** up.

I still say if we run it 4 straight times they stop us and we are bitching about running 4 straight times against a historic run defense.

i really can't undertand how people can see sanchez miss receivers routinely and come to the conclusions it's all schotty fault

guys.. as good as sanchez was at times you ahve to remember that he went through long streaks where he looked like he belongs in the cfl at best.. No OC is going to have a top offense with sh*tty qb play, it's just not going to happen. I'd bet ever penny in my savings that if you gave shotty rodgers or manning he'd look like a genuis

i really can't undertand how people can see sanchez miss receivers routinely and come to the conclusions it's all schotty fault

guys.. as good as sanchez was at times you ahve to remember that he went through long streaks where he looked like he belongs in the cfl at best.. No OC is going to have a top offense with sh*tty qb play, it's just not going to happen. I'd bet ever penny in my savings that if you gave shotty rodgers or manning he'd look like a genuis

He got Favre between Pro Bowl years and all we heard was how stupid Favre was and how the offense had to be changed for him, and Favre still looked bad most of the time. Favre did the same thing Sanchez had to do actually, have late comebacks against sh*tty teams in order to win.

He also got Pennington, a year before he went on to an 11-5 record.

So no, I bet if you gave him Rodgers or Manning they'd either stick a boot up his a$$ or they'd look decidedly average themselves.

He got Favre between Pro Bowl years and all we heard was how stupid Favre was and how the offense had to be changed for him, and Favre still looked bad most of the time. Favre did the same thing Sanchez had to do actually, have late comebacks against sh*tty teams in order to win.

He also got Pennington, a year before he went on to an 11-5 record.

So no, I bet if you gave him Rodgers or Manning they'd either stick a boot up his a$$ or they'd look decidedly average themselves.

we had a top 10 offense and favre was completeing 70% of his passes until injured..

pennington was coming off a shoulder injury in 06 and learnign a enw offense and in 07 he hurt his ankle..

rodgers would rip it in any offense, if you can't see the talent dicrepency between him and sanchez now you aren't paying attention

I certainly dont blame Schotty for the passes that Sanchez miss his receivers on. What I do blame Schotty for is the fact that the offense is very predictable. We always run to the right behind the right guard all the time at the beginning of games. The other team knows it yet we dont call a different play. This leaves us in second and long situations all the time. This is why our offense is terrible to start games.

Then when Schotty decided to run to the left or to the outside, like he did in the second half, we gain alot of yards and leave Sanchez in makable situations and our offense seems to score points rather than go 3 and out.

First Half

1-10-NYJ27 (5:46) M.Sanchez pass incomplete short right to D.Keller (C.Hampton). batted down near the line of scrimmage.

2-10-NYJ27 (5:44) L.Tomlinson right guard to NYJ 27 for no gain (J.Harrison).

You cant have an incomplete pass on 1st then run off right guard like you always do leaving you with a 3rd and 10 situation.

1-10-NYJ46 (4:17) S.Greene right guard to NYJ 47 for 1 yard (E.Hood).

1-10-PIT43 (3:31) L.Tomlinson up the middle to PIT 42 for 1 yard (E.Hood; B.Keisel).

1-10-NYJ40 (6:51) S.Greene right guard to NYJ 43 for 3 yards (J.Harrison, B.Keisel).

Notice how our runs right seem to go nowhere because everybody knows that the blast is our favorite play.

Second Half

1-10-NYJ10 (14:52) S.Greene left tackle pushed ob at NYJ 33 for 23 yards (E.Hood).

1-10-NYJ33 (14:26) L.Tomlinson up the middle to NYJ 41 for 8 yards (J.Farrior, T.Polamalu).Was to the left

2-2-NYJ41 (13:40) L.Tomlinson right tackle to NYJ 39 for -2 yards (L.Woodley).

1-10-NYJ14 (7:42) S.Greene up the middle to NYJ 17 for 3 yards (E.Hood).

1-10-NYJ37 (:15) L.Tomlinson left guard to NYJ 42 for 5 yards (L.Timmons).

1-10-PIT27 (13:18) S.Greene up the middle to PIT 26 for 1 yard (J.Harrison).

3-3-PIT20 (11:53) S.Greene left end to PIT 18 for 2 yards (J.Harrison; J.Farrior). Official measurement

4-1-PIT18 (11:19) S.Greene right guard to PIT 16 for 2 yards (L.Timmons, B.Keisel).

2-18-PIT24 (9:57) S.Greene left guard to PIT 8 for 16 yards (T.Polamalu).

1-2-PIT2 (8:39) S.Greene up the middle to PIT 1 for 1 yard (J.Farrior, L.Timmons).

4-1-PIT1 (7:50) L.Tomlinson up the middle to PIT 1 for no gain (B.Keisel, C.Hampton).

3-1-PIT27 (5:57) L.Tomlinson up the middle to PIT 27 for no gain (J.Harrison, B.Keisel).

1-10-PIT17 (4:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.Tomlinson up the middle to PIT 15 for 2 yards (L.Timmons, J.Farrior).

1-6-PIT6 (3:47) (No Huddle, Shotgun) L.Tomlinson right guard to PIT 4 for 2 yards (J.Farrior).

Notice how our runs left are more effective, yet Schotty just keeps running the ball to the right side especially ealry in the game. Everybody knows that he likes to run it right, they know the play is coming and they stop it all the time leaving Sanchez in long yardage situations which are more difficult to convert.

Why the hell is he not just calling an audible when he's having trouble with the headset? I mean, come on Mark. I don't get that; we wasted a lot of time that way.

Here is some more info for you.

The Jets Have Become Very Predictable on First Down .Article Comments more in New York-Sports ».EmailPrintSave This ↓ More.

.Twitter

Digg

+ More

close Yahoo! BuzzMySpacedel.icio.usRedditFacebookLinkedInFarkViadeoOrkut Text View Full Image

Associated Press

New York Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson is tackled by Miami Dolphins safety Chris Clemons, right, as teammate Cameron Wake chases the play.

.For NFL defenses worried about stopping the Jets on first down, here's a simple hint: They're going to run the ball.

New York has the most predictable play-calling in the NFL in first-and-10 situations, running a league-high 64% of the time. By comparison, the NFL average rate for running on first-and-10 is 52%. In Sunday's loss to the Dolphins, the Jets ran the ball 17 times on 26 first-and-10 plays. But five of those situations came at the end of the first half or in the final four minutes. The rest of the game, the Jets ran on first-and-10 at an 81% clip.

Like most NFL teams, the Jets throw far better on first downs than they do overall because there's more of an element of surprise. For the year, the Jets average 6.75 yards per pass play on first-and-10 compared to just 5.74 on all downs.

Mark Sanchez has continued to struggle this year with his completion percentage and QB rating. On first downs in 2010, his marks of 58% with a 90.7 rating (five TDs and one interception) compare very favorably to how he passes on all other downs—51% completions with a 67.3 rating (11 TDs, 11 picks).

Mr. Sanchez and the Jets offense have struggled mightily in all four of their losses (18 total points). Manufacturing more offense is paramount heading into upcoming road games against the top-ranked defenses of Chicago and Pittsburgh. Perhaps offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer can start by creating a little more deception on first down.

—Michael Salfino

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703727804576018021080733978.html

So if we run the ball on first down 64% of the time and every opposing teams DC knows that Schotty has a tendency to run right or middle when he runs on first down it makes it pretty easy for them to stop us leaving us in second and third and long situations. When we then go into 2nd or 3rd and long the opposing team can then play the pass making it more difficult for Sanchez to complete those passes.

Here is some more info for you.

The Jets Have Become Very Predictable on First Down .Article Comments more in New York-Sports ».EmailPrintSave This ↓ More.

.Twitter

Digg

+ More

close Yahoo! BuzzMySpacedel.icio.usRedditFacebookLinkedInFarkViadeoOrkut Text View Full Image

Associated Press

New York Jets running back LaDainian Tomlinson is tackled by Miami Dolphins safety Chris Clemons, right, as teammate Cameron Wake chases the play.

.For NFL defenses worried about stopping the Jets on first down, here's a simple hint: They're going to run the ball.

New York has the most predictable play-calling in the NFL in first-and-10 situations, running a league-high 64% of the time. By comparison, the NFL average rate for running on first-and-10 is 52%. In Sunday's loss to the Dolphins, the Jets ran the ball 17 times on 26 first-and-10 plays. But five of those situations came at the end of the first half or in the final four minutes. The rest of the game, the Jets ran on first-and-10 at an 81% clip.

Like most NFL teams, the Jets throw far better on first downs than they do overall because there's more of an element of surprise. For the year, the Jets average 6.75 yards per pass play on first-and-10 compared to just 5.74 on all downs.

Mark Sanchez has continued to struggle this year with his completion percentage and QB rating. On first downs in 2010, his marks of 58% with a 90.7 rating (five TDs and one interception) compare very favorably to how he passes on all other downs—51% completions with a 67.3 rating (11 TDs, 11 picks).

Mr. Sanchez and the Jets offense have struggled mightily in all four of their losses (18 total points). Manufacturing more offense is paramount heading into upcoming road games against the top-ranked defenses of Chicago and Pittsburgh. Perhaps offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer can start by creating a little more deception on first down.

—Michael Salfino

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703727804576018021080733978.html

So if we run the ball on first down 64% of the time and every opposing teams DC knows that Schotty has a tendency to run right or middle when he runs on first down it makes it pretty easy for them to stop us leaving us in second and third and long situations. When we then go into 2nd or 3rd and long the opposing team can then play the pass making it more difficult for Sanchez to complete those passes.

yadda yadda yadda.. if this same guy wrote and anit-rex article the whole board would be calling him biased

we had a top 10 offense and favre was completeing 70% of his passes until injured..

pennington was coming off a shoulder injury in 06 and learnign a enw offense and in 07 he hurt his ankle..

rodgers would rip it in any offense, if you can't see the talent dicrepency between him and sanchez now you aren't paying attention

What a load of bullsh*t. We did not have a top 10 offense, and I don't think Favre ever even passed over 300 yards in a game. We had maybe 2 good games all year, including the Arizona game where we had something like 6 short fields that totally skewed the results, and only in points scored. In terms of yardage, TOP, YPA, YPC etc. we were actually bottom 12 in the league. I remember looking all this up and there should be a post somewhere that I break everything down and show how average the offense actually was.

But since you like looking and drawing conclusions from that, the Jets offense looks dysfunctional and inept. There were articles for virtually all year talking about how bad the Jets offense looked. But to Schitty supporters, any excuse and any revisionist history will work.

And I not only believe there is very little talent discrepancy between Rodgers and Sanchez, I think Sanchez is the more talented of the two. He is generally very accurate. Both Steve Young and Ron Jaworski have commented that Sanchez is generally an accurate passer, so anytime he misses a pass chances are it's due to injury or something else. But of course, Schitty supporters know more and are always right all the damn time, regardless of what anybody else says or what the actual results would be.

Bottom line, this fanbase has absolutely no experience with top talent QBs so nobody knows how to react. Sanchez is one of the better talents in the league and virtually everyone that knows football has said, in only his second year, that this guy is a top 10 talent in the league and will probably be one of the best QBs in the league for the next 10 years.

But somehow Schitty supporters would rather tell you Schitty's mediocre offenses are the result of getting a bad hand and having terrible QBs at the helm. I wish they'd trade Sanchez tomorrow. Maybe to the Eagles. Or the Giants. I don't really care, hell trade Sanchez to the Raiders. I guarantee Sanchez would continue to excel, and Schitty would continue to put up mediocre numbers.

But realistically, no franchise is stupid enough to ditch a top 5 draft pick QB who has a 95 QB rating and 4 road playoff wins in only 2 years in the league. The only people that think a QB like that is at fault and is dragging down the OC are Jets fans, and probably only about 4 total ones and they all post on this site. In person I have yet to meet either a Jets or Giants fan that doesn't like Sanchez.

Mark this one down: Rodgers will have a worse day than Sanchez did against the Steelers.

And I not only believe there is very little talent discrepancy between Rodgers and Sanchez, I think Sanchez is the more talented of the two. He is generally very accurate. Both Steve Young and Ron Jaworski have commented that Sanchez is generally an accurate passer, so anytime he misses a pass chances are it's due to injury or something else. But of course, Schitty supporters know more and are always right all the damn time, regardless of what anybody else says or what the actual results would be.

:blink:

You're not even joking or anything?

Mark this one down: Rodgers will have a worse day than Sanchez did against the Steelers.

is this including playing against a backed off defense for a half (after embaressing himself in the first half) Or does he have to play thier real defense for 4 quarters? Again, I don't think even klacko would suggest Sanchez is in Rodgers league..

in any event.. I don't know what to say. I watched sanchez miss receivers badly all year. You want to blame the OC, that fine, apparently you have some insight that nobody else does..

the worst part is I don't even like schotty, you guys are so ridiculuously over the top about the whole thing that it's hard not to get sucked into defending him..

Archived