Jets offseason steps from Guro Experto

experto25

My plan to save money in the offseason: 1.Don't resign Holmes and Edwards 2.Don't resign Cromartie 3.Cut Bryan Thomas,Gholston,Woody. I would sign Santana Moss/Plaxico Burress on the cheap for 1 or 2 years,sign 2 or 3 edge pass rushers like Kivanuka,Hali.For the dline sign cullen jenkins to play with Kris jenkins and Poucha.Replace Cromartie with Champ Baily who is much better than Cromartie and its not even close.Finally draft a top notch wr in the first round like Leonard Hankerson and go defense in the lower rounds.Harris will be resigned.

My plan to save money in the offseason: 1.Don't resign Holmes and Edwards 2.Don't resign Cromartie 3.Cut Bryan Thomas,Gholston,Woody. I would sign Santana Moss/Plaxico Burress on the cheap for 1 or 2 years,sign 2 or 3 edge pass rushers like Kivanuka,Hali.For the dline sign cullen jenkins to play with Kris jenkins and Poucha.Replace Cromartie with Champ Baily who is much better than Cromartie and its not even close.Finally draft a top notch wr in the first round like Leonard Hankerson and go defense in the lower rounds.Harris will be resigned.

Weclome to the sight Mr Johnson.

My keys are to get a dominant pass rush,build a top notch dline and a secondary of Baily and Revis is just like the packers top secondary.I could live with Santana Moss who had 1600 yds 6 tds this year and a Tall wr in Burress who will cost 1 million max.Hankerson is a similar wr to a Boldin.

I am a new user here and not a troll,Jet fan for 50 years.I don't understand why people want to invest all the money on the wrs and cromartie.I build teams on the olines,dlines and and edge rushing areas.Wrs can be had for cheap considering Rex is defense and ground and pound.

I am a new user here and not a troll,Jet fan for 50 years.I don't understand why people want to invest all the money on the wrs and cromartie.I build teams on the olines,dlines and and edge rushing areas.Wrs can be had for cheap considering Rex is defense and ground and pound.

Seeing as we have a pretty damn awesome OL in place, I'm fine with our WR investments the last couple of years. You have to give your young QB weapons, and we went from J-Co and Stuckey to Holmes and Edwards in 1.5 seasons without having to shell out big dollars (yet) or lot's of draft picks.

As for CB, Rex likes to build his defense from the outside in. Having a lot of excellent corners, in theory, allows him to get more and more creative with his blitz packages.

That being said, yes, we do need to give our DL a facelift. Ellis MAY be back on a 1-year deal, but he's getting long in the tooth. We need an explosive pass-rusher so we can get a pass-rush organically from time to time.

Yep i agree on the oline but Woody is getting up in age and we brought Ducasse to replace him which he will.My concern is the dline,olb.Ellis is leaving and Devito is a backup to me.Once Jenkins is back next year at nt poucha is moved to de and signing Cullen Jenkins opposite de is the best thing we can do.That dline is hands down the best run stopping dline in the nfl and would free up the blitz scheme.

Yep i agree on the oline but Woody is getting up in age and we brought Ducasse to replace him which he will.My concern is the dline,olb.Ellis is leaving and Devito is a backup to me.Once Jenkins is back next year at nt poucha is moved to de and signing Cullen Jenkins opposite de is the best thing we can do.That dline is hands down the best run stopping dline in the nfl and would free up the blitz scheme.

Once Jenkins is back? What for 2 games. Child please STOP.

I come to praise this post, not to bury it...

there's actually alot of truth in this post. Lets start with the easy stuff. Assuming it's a similar cap after the CBA,

1) Bryan Thomas is probably gone. He saves something like 4 mil and is declining. 85-90% chance of happening.

2) I wouldn't trust Cromartie with 9-10 mil/year over long term. Im sorry he's a real nice player but again, it's a tough pill to swallow, considering all his flaws. the JEts GMs is too risk adverse to make that deal. Cro will have to take a discount of some kind for it to happen.

3) They could conceivably get rid of both WR. it's not likely but it's conceivable. If both guys (former first round picks) demand 10 mil or something crazy they won't do it. The Jets probably want to sign both but will those agents take a discount? Only if the players instruct them to... if not they will take the highest bidder. The Jets probably think Holmes is less replaceable, and after that catch in Pittsburgh i don't doubt that projection. Besides Burress and Moss, it should also be noted the Jets could be looking at a market that has Randy Moss, Ochocinco, and the crown jewel Larry Fitzgerald. They like Edwards but let him test the market... it's gonna be tough out there for WR. without cro and the WR, they could sign Brad Smith in this scenario and he does alot of good things for this team.

4) Leonard Hankerson is the real deal and could (given time) replace the production of Edwards. LIke Braylon he will fight for bad balls and make the QB look good. I don't know if he can block like Braylon.

Signing Champ Baily is not a big letdown at cb.He was a probowl selection this year and Cromartie had a good year but still didn't make it.Baily has been to 10 probowls and has another 2 to 4 years left being he is 32 years old.I am sure like Charles Woodson he would wana finish his career on a winning team.

Seeing as we have a pretty damn awesome OL in place, I'm fine with our WR investments the last couple of years. You have to give your young QB weapons, and we went from J-Co and Stuckey to Holmes and Edwards in 1.5 seasons without having to shell out big dollars (yet) or lot's of draft picks.

As for CB, Rex likes to build his defense from the outside in. Having a lot of excellent corners, in theory, allows him to get more and more creative with his blitz packages.

That being said, yes, we do need to give our DL a facelift. Ellis MAY be back on a 1-year deal, but he's getting long in the tooth. We need an explosive pass-rusher so we can get a pass-rush organically from time to time.

I think Ellis looked good and had a nice playoffs. I don't see why he'd accept a 1 year deal when Tomlinson and Taylor got 2 years. That's an insult. The explosive pass rusher should idealy be an OLB, but Rex plays so much hybrid crap it could be anybody. I'm surprised he hasn't struck gold with a tweener or undersized guy that could be used as a spot rusher. Kiwanuka isn't a bad idea. I'd kick those tires for sure, but he gets hurt often.

The main problem with the OP is thinking he's going to save money. 2-3 pass rushers? Nope. Burress is getting paid. He'll be on an incentive laden deal, but it's not going to be $1M. Same with Moss. Cullen Jenkins would be nice, but to sign him they pretty much will have to dump his brother.

Cromartie had a helluva year. He and Revis shut down some pretty dam good recievers. Why mess with a good thing? Tandem CBs this good that work well together are hard to find.

They are supposed to just be playing man. They aren't working together. Champ Bailey is an interesting option. Cromartie might get some serious coin, but with Asomugha and Bailey FAs there will be options even at the top of the class.

Signing Champ Baily is not a big letdown at cb.He was a probowl selection this year and Cromartie had a good year but still didn't make it.Baily has been to 10 probowls and has another 2 to 4 years left being he is 32 years old.

The NYJETS cannot and will not tie up all the money in 1 player that he will demand. Especially if we can get Cro back at a much cheaper price.

I like the idea of signing Kiwanuka and Hali, though.

Kiwanuka had a season ending injury last year,herniated disc I believe in his neck. I dont remember reading where he had surgery or anything. But if hes healthy I say hell yes hes a good player and pass rusher.

Resign:

Edwards

Harris (FT)

Hunter

Hartsock

Coleman

Weatherford

Eric Smith

Ihedigbo

Sign:

Champ Bailey (to play Safety)

Kamerion Wimbley

Mathias Kiwanuka

Lance Moore

Alan Branch

Cut:

Mark Brunnell: save 1.3 mil

Gholston: save 400k

Taylor: save 2.3 mil

Brian Thomas: save 3.7 mil

LT: save 2.4 mil

Woody: save 3.2 mil

Jenkins: save 4.6 mil

QB: Sanchez, Clemens, 5th round pick

WR: Edwards, Cotchery, Moore, 3rd round draft pick, Turner

TE: Keller, Hartsock

RB: Greene, McNight

FB: Conner

OT: D'Brick, Hunter, Ducasse, Turner

OG: Slauson, Moore, Ducasse

OC: Mangold, Turner

DE: DeVito, Branch, 1st round pick, Gilbert

NT: Pouha, Dixon, 6th round pick

ILB: Harris, Scott, Mauga, 4th round pick

OLB: Pace, Kiwanuka, Wimbley, Westerman

CB: Revis, Wilson, Lowery, Coleman, Cole

S: Bailey, Leonhard, Smith Ihedigbo, Cook

Hess Station-Santonio?

I don't know. I'm just trying to play around with different scenerios. I've been on record saying all of the big 4 should/could/will be back. But I'm starting to think no way on Cro. Ego alone I say this...they didn't draft Wilson to be a back up. I'm praying they sign both BE and Santonio but I was trying to think outside the box a bit above. Just a (long) thought.

I don't know. I'm just trying to play around with different scenerios. I've been on record saying all of the big 4 should/could/will be back. But I'm starting to think no way on Cro. Ego alone I say this...they didn't draft Wilson to be a back up. I'm praying they sign both BE and Santonio but I was trying to think outside the box a bit above. Just a (long) thought.

Harris will be back and I want Holmes, BE and Cro back too. The strange thing is the only guy out of them we haven't heard word one from is Holmes-I suspect he may just bolt towards the best offer possible

Uh, no. Plus, learn how to spell "guru"...

Cro is a must sign or CB becomes an instant weak spot on the NYJETS.

I disagree. We didn't draft Kyle Wilson 29th overall to have him cover # 3 receivers for his whole career, and contrary to popular opinion, its way too early to determine he can't start in this league.

I'd love to keep Cro, but he's not a "must-sign", especially if he costs us $10M a year or so.

I disagree. We didn't draft Kyle Wilson 29th overall to have him cover # 3 receivers for his whole career, and contrary to popular opinion, its way too early to determine he can't start in this league.

I'd love to keep Cro, but he's not a "must-sign", especially if he costs us $10M a year or so.

Are you kidding me? Kyle Wilson? Did you see him play this year? Rex isnt gonna weaken his defense and count on Wilson.

Are you kidding me? Kyle Wilson? Did you see him play this year? Rex isnt gonna weaken his defense and count on Wilson.

Are YOU kidding me? You're going to write off a 1st rounder after 1 season? He's raw, not a bust. Rex will count on anyone he feels is ready to see the field.

Kivanuka was the best pass rusher on the Giants before he got hurt this year so if he is healthy hes one of the best pass rushers in the league.Him and Hali would be deadly add in pace.

I'd love that!

I'd gladly let B. Edwards and J. Taylor go to have the money for Kiwanuka and Hali. Edwards is good for 3 drops a game. Most likely, if the Jets are thinking of pass rushers, they'll probably only chose one. My guess would be Hali who has proven he has the speed and constant motor.

Are YOU kidding me? You're going to write off a 1st rounder after 1 season? He's raw, not a bust. Rex will count on anyone he feels is ready to see the field.

Where did I say write him off? Rex uses alot of defensive schemes where they play multiple DBs. And wasnt Kyle Wilson also supposed to returm kicks and punts. I never said he was a bust either. :rolleyes:

Archived