Gary Meyers has lost his damn mind

BroadwayJ667

Mark Sanchez has taken the Jets to two straight AFC Championship Games in his first two years, but how many PSLs do you think Peyton Manning would sell for Woody Johnson if he signed with Gang Green as a free agent for a couple of years?

One of the most intriguing possibilities that comes out of the decertification/lockout battle between the trade association - the once and future NFL Players Association - and the NFL is that Manning could soon become the greatest unrestricted free agent in the history of the sport.

When the union decertified Friday, it filed an antitrust lawsuit against the NFL with Tom Brady the first name listed (it's alphabetical) among the 10 plaintiffs. Manning is a plaintiff, too. The union also filed a request for a preliminary injunction - not for a temporary restraining order - to stop the lockout. The lockout went into effect Friday night at midnight.

It will take several weeks before federal judge David Doty, who has made several crucial rulings in favor of the players and is expected to preside over the case, makes a decision in Minneapolis. A temporary restraining order would have been ruled on right away, but would have lasted only a short time.

It is anticipated Doty will grant the injunction. The NFL will immediately appeal to the 8th Circuit Court of Appeals in St. Louis. It could take days or weeks to get a decision.

So, in the time between the injunction stopping the lockout and a ruling on the appeal, the NFL is expected to be back in business with a new league year starting and the beginning of free agency. Manning, who has played 13 years with the Colts but never been an unrestricted free agent, was among 14 players designated with the franchise tag in February.

NFLPA outside counsel Jim Quinn said yesterday that the tags can't be enforced and have no effect. "Null and void," he told the Daily News.

There is no union and no collective bargaining agreement and presumably no franchise tags.

It will be up to the league to impose new free agency rules and perhaps up to Doty to rule whether franchise tags are legit.

Quinn said the 2010 rules - no salary cap, with the unrestricted free agency requirement jumping from four years to six - are too "restrictive." A return to the 2009 rules with the four-year requirement and a salary cap would be more acceptable.

In either case, Quinn said the franchise tags will be challenged. If the players win, Manning would be an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. What do you think he would be worth on the open market? Let the bidding start at $25 million per year

The Jets are a win-now team, and inserting Manning for the next couple of years could finally end their Super Bowl drought.

"If I'm the Jets, why wouldn't you go after Peyton Manning?" one prominent agent said yesterday. "You have all those PSLs you have to sell. Isn't (GM) Mike Tannenbaum's job to make the team better? If you are a Jets fan, you talk about Christmas coming early. They could still keep Sanchez. If you can get Peyton Manning, can you say no?"

The agent said if he had a player who was tagged, "I wouldn't acknowledge the franchise tag. Show me where, in any contract, in any court of law, that you can have a franchise tag. It's team fiction."

The Jets love Sanchez. He is scheduled to make $14.75 million in 2011. A bit much for a backup? But in the Jets' world of collecting stars, none would be bigger than Manning. He could do PSL commercials. One other thought: Do you think the Giants would sign Peyton Manning and trade his brother?

How do you sign a player when your premise is there is no CBA and therefore no season so the player can be signed?

And why would Peyton leave the Colts exactly? He was in the SB just two seasons ago with the Colts, and last season lost to the Jets by one point with half the team injured.

When I read the thread title I wondered if the article was going to be from 1987.

How do you sign a player when your premise is there is no CBA and therefore no season so the player can be signed?

And why would Peyton leave the Colts exactly? He was in the SB just two seasons ago with the Colts, and last season lost to the Jets by one point with half the team injured.

No CBA does NOT mean there is no season. No union means that the owners are probably going to be forced to let the players in. They are locking out a union, but that union doesn't exist. The court cases will probably lead to some kind of lame agreement to save the season. It's also possible the players will win and we'll have an all out free agent free for all.

There is one reason Peyton might sign with the Jets - $$$$. Most of the time they talk about endorsement money being a reason to come to New York, but I couldn't imagine that Herman Munster looking freak getting any more air time.

The article so insane it deserves multiple responses.

1. Mike T's press release on the day of: "People have been accusing me of playing Madden with my NFL franchise. I made this move just for the LOLz"

2. A move like this would force the NFL to institute instantaneous hall of fame inductions for general managers.

3. Day dream for a moment about teaming a Peyton offense with a Rex defense. Now, stop slobbering.

Its a pretty crazy column that is clearly penned by someone with nothing to write about. The thing is I wonder what type of position such a lawsuit puts Manning in. He clearly wants to stay in Indy. Is never going to leave Indy unless he is just so broken down that the team lets him go. But based on his position in this ridiculous lawsuit he is challenging his ability to ever earn fair market value. It has to put him in a very hard place when the Colts are likely not going to match the highest bidder because they know his heart is in Indy. What does he do then? Sign for reportedly less money that someone else offered? That makes his lawsuit seem totally baseless.

Its a pretty crazy column that is clearly penned by someone with nothing to write about. The thing is I wonder what type of position such a lawsuit puts Manning in. He clearly wants to stay in Indy. Is never going to leave Indy unless he is just so broken down that the team lets him go. But based on his position in this ridiculous lawsuit he is challenging his ability to ever earn fair market value. It has to put him in a very hard place when the Colts are likely not going to match the highest bidder because they know his heart is in Indy. What does he do then? Sign for reportedly less money that someone else offered? That makes his lawsuit seem totally baseless.

No chance. Indy needs Peyton alot more than Peyton needs Indy. there isn't a chance in hell that Indy is gonna try and play any games in signing Peyton unless they want to go down as having made the single dumbest personnel decision in the history of the NFL. Dumber than Ditka trading an entire draft for Ricky Williams and dumber than Minnesota giving up the farm for Hershel Walker. There will be at least 15 teams that will flat out open their coffers for the opportunity to lure Manning. Manning is no fool. He's already got a HOF career and he will have no problem continuing his success elsewhere if IND wants to get cute.

The only thing funnier than the article is the comments from Jets fans:

I'd only bring in Manning as a BACK UP to help Sanchez continue to improve! I just hope this whole thing gets sorted so we can start planning for next season and beyond and I hope this whole lock up doesn't affect the future of the sport I love!

WTF

Myers will do anything to get someone to read his garbage. Manning over Sanchez? No thanks. I'll stay with the young kid who has performed like a stable vet in the post season. This kid has nothing but upside and to ask him to sit the bench for a few years is probably one of the stupidest ideas ever .... than again ... Myers wrote the article.

WTF

Peyton would leave the colts because their coach is incapable of LEADING that team, they have too many holes in their team, and he will never win another super bowl in a colts uniform.

Archived