Draft rumors getting ugly

Kentucky Jet

NFL Draft Rumors: It’s Getting Ugly

By Bassett on Apr 15, 2011, 12:00 pm

With the draft just a few weeks away, and teams unable to fill needs before the draft via free agency, it seems like the chatter is getting just a tad uglier than most other years.

DT Nick Fairley // Auburn (Top 10) – Fairley has been dropping down mock draft boards somewhat of late, but now word is spreading that he’s been late to meetings with teams, an allegation which his agent has vehemently denied.

DT Phil Taylor // Baylor (1st Round) – There are concerns about his work ethic, and emotional balance, and might cause teams to pause before drafting him if they are concerned he’s not going to work hard enough to keep himself in the shape he needs to for a player his size.

DE Cameron Heyward // Ohio State (1st Round) – Sounds like the Ravens might be very high on Heyward, who they feel could contribute initially on third downs and then more in other capacities. Heyward might not project as well as some other players, but he’s more of a “sure thing” than some of the other guys at the end of the round, which would make sense why Ozzie Newsome would take him with the 26th pick.

RB Mark Ingram // Alabama (???) – For the longest time, Ingram was pegged at #15 overall to the Dolphins by EVERYONE. Now? Not so much. He seems to be in free fall down draft boards as teams are concerned about his knees and how he’d fit team’s schemes. Greg Cosell thinks he’s not even the top ranked RB anymore.

DT Marvin Austin // UNC (2nd Round) – Fresh off his Cam Newton comments, PFW’s Nawrocki has now printed this gem from an NFL scout describing Austin, that he’s a "finger-pointing, excuse-making con artist." According to scouts, Austin has not taken enough responsibility for the improper gifts taken by players at UNC, calling him the “ringleader.” Expect him to be picked in the late second or third round.

WR Leonard Hankerson // Miami (2nd Round) – Kiper has said that he’s “heard” Hankerson is garnering third round grades from teams. He might be available to the Jets if that’s case, but it’s very unlikely since they draft so late in the round.

RB Taiwan Jones // Eastern Washington (2nd Round) – Jones has struggled to stay healthy, but even at his agent’s “90%” yesterday he ran some impressive 40 times … clocking a potential record this year at the spot with a 4.32 at his Pro Day. Some say he’s the single best open-field runner in this draft class. The Jets have made it clear they’re looking for a diminutive runner who can handle special teams duties, but his times yesterday might have taken him out of the running for the Jets with the gap between the 30th pick and their third rounder.

Stephen Paea // Oregon State (2nd-3rd Round) – Dan Pompei in Chicago hears that Paea isn’t climbing draft boards, like NFP’s Wes Bunting had indicated. Teams are sharing concerns about his size, his play in 2010, and the fact that he’s not a pass-rusher.

DE-OLB Brooks Reed // Arizona (3rd Round) – Nawrocki noted that teams are shocked to see him getting graded out in the first two rounds. He’s got short arms, gets “velcroed” to blocks and just doesn’t have the all-round skill sets to make him a high pick.

Five or Six First Round QBs? – Adam Schein was surprised by what Mark Dominik told him on Sirius. The Bucs GM thinks this could realistically happen. If so? That just means that there’s more tasty options for the Jets when it’s their turn to pick. Unfortunately, there’s not a high likelihood the Jets would be able to trade out, with Pittsburgh, Green Bay and New England as the “Amen Corner” behind them for teams looking to snag a QB. Unless a jittery team wants to jump ahead of another team who might trade up to get their guy, it’s going to be hard for the Jets to trade out of the spot for a team looking for a QB.

DE-OLB Brooks Reed // Arizona (3rd Round) – Nawrocki noted that teams are shocked to see him getting graded out in the first two rounds. He’s got short arms, gets “velcroed” to blocks and just doesn’t have the all-round skill sets to make him a high pick.

no WAY!

Am I the only one who doesn't give a rat's a$$ about the draft this year?

It's actually a nice change from my usual obsessive prospect analysis. Liberating.

this is the first time since I started going on Jets message boards in the late 90's that I have no idea whatsoever who is who or who we should or shouldn't draft.

this is the first time since I started going on Jets message boards in the late 90's that I have no idea whatsoever who is who or who we should or shouldn't draft.

+1

I'm amazed at my level of couldntgiveash*tness.

+1

I'm amazed at my level of couldntgiveash*tness.

Same way. My logic is that whoever gets drafted will not make or break this team. The defense will still be good because of Rex and the offense will still be eh because of Schottenheimer. No one player will improve or ruin either fact.

Same way. My logic is that whoever gets drafted will not make or break this team. The defense will still be good because of Rex and the offense will still be eh because of Schottenheimer. No one player will improve or ruin either fact.

Agreed. I hope we draft some front seven guys, and I hope they pan out. That's it! Wake me up when and if training camp starts.

So most of those guys are dropping... who is moving up the charts? Surely there are some risers as well.

nope. everyone is just dropping. teams will just have to wave and say "meh, nevermind...you can skip me" when their turn comes.

This is all misinformation tactics. Teams are planting stories to get guys to fall to them. Silly.

We are gonna spend all this time fighting over which DE.OLB to take and they will take a CB.FS like Aaron Williams or Ras I Dowling. Wouldn't you like that TS and Gato?

Dude, I've been saying that since the season ended. :D They'll probably take a guard when it's all said and done. Hell, I don't think I saw one person anywhere mention the name "Kyle Wilson" last year and look how that worked out.

PS, do you know how long you and I have been debating draft prospects? We once fought over Troy Polamalu.

I think i got the wrong end of that one... Troy P's concussions worried me... you loved him? I think that's how it went down

Nope. You were high on him and I didn't want him because I thought he was a product of the same Pete Carroll system that made Brian Washington and Victor Green look like superstars.

I thought it was just me. I have basically been oblivious to football this entire offseason.

nope. everyone is just dropping. teams will just have to wave and say "meh, nevermind...you can skip me" when their turn comes.

This is all misinformation tactics. Teams are planting stories to get guys to fall to them. Silly.

In that case... Brooks Reed is the worst player I've ever seeeeeeen!!!

You might want to save that on a Word file...

we spend all this time discussing Reed. He might not be there. I've seen him 16 to JAC, 24 to NO, 28 to NE. the short area quickness he has... is very very rare. numerically that 10 yard split was a huge money maker for Reed.

we spend all this time discussing Reed. He might not be there. I've seen him 16 to JAC, 24 to NO, 28 to NE. the short area quickness he has... is very very rare. numerically that 10 yard split was a huge money maker for Reed.

Derrick Harvey and Vernon Gholston were over-drafted because of their Combine numbers, too, bro. I think it's time to accept that those types of numbers aren't great indicators for what you'd be asking Reed to do--play OLB in a 3-4. Ultimately we'll see in three years how great/awful/average Reed is, but you watch any tape and he looks like a juiced-up tick that's ready to pop who can't change direction to save his life.

Any team taking Reed that early is dumb. They're gifting us and the rest of the league.

DeMarcus Ware ran his 10 yard split in the 1.6 range. It doesn't mean anything. It certainly doesn't tell you anything about a players "short area quickness." As with most things, insisting it's special doesn't actually make it special.

by that logic the Jets should draft players with sh*tty workouts. Just to avoid the next Gholston.

Noooooooooooooooo, by that logic the Jets (or any team) should use those numbers just to verify what they've seen after copious hours of watching tape and interviewing the player. Teams that live and die by Combine numbers draft Vernon Gholston. Teams that live and die by giving vast priority to how a guy plays on the field draft Ray Lewis.

Noooooooooooooooo, by that logic the Jets (or any team) should use those numbers just to verify what they've seen after copious hours of watching tape and interviewing the player. Teams that live and die by Combine numbers draft Vernon Gholston. Teams that live and die by giving vast priority to how a guy plays on the field draft Ray Lewis.

So Brooks Reed has 15 career sacks on tape. He works out a ton. You don't like him... why? Cause of his haircut? Lack of lateral agility? They ain't drafting a first round defensive end so he can cover running backs. It's all about pass rush and that usually happens in a straight line, within 10 yards. if brooks reed could run sideways like Von Miller he doesn't make it to 30

So Brooks Reed has 15 career sacks on tape. He works out a ton. You don't like him... why? Cause of his haircut? Lack of lateral agility? They ain't drafting a first round defensive end so he can cover running backs. It's all about pass rush and that usually happens in a straight line, within 10 yards. if brooks reed could run sideways like Von Miller he doesn't make it to 30

You know who had 11 sacks this year alone and has 25 sacks in three seasons? Ricky Elmore, Brooks Reed's teammate who lines up on the other side of Reed, and is a likely 6th round pick.

You know who had 11 sacks this year alone and has 25 sacks in three seasons? Ricky Elmore, Brooks Reed's teammate who lines up on the other side of Reed, and is a likely 6th round pick.

Elmore is another great prospect and cusp of 3rd/4th on my board. Could be a very good pick in the 3-4 but probably projects better as an ILB than OLB. the difference is he ran a 4.8 and Brooks ran a 4.6. Reed is also much stronger.

Serious question why don't people question Aldon Smith's lateral agility? Or Robert Quinn?

Reed worked out better than both of these prospects. And has more career sacks.

Serious question why don't people question Aldon Smith's lateral agility? Or Robert Quinn?

Reed worked out better than both of these prospects. And has more career sacks.

Because when you watch those guys for three seconds it becomes clear that they, unlike Reed, can make a left turn?

Because when you watch those guys for three seconds it becomes clear that they, unlike Reed, can make a left turn?

Based on what? dont see any flexibility on film different than Reed. There's no film of Robert Quinn or Aldon Smith in coverage making great plays.

TS don't take this the wrong way but You and TS have decided Reed sucks and are trying to get from the finish line back to the starting point. I started looking at this 3rd rounder in January and he's only risen since then.

Archived