Guys to look for Rds. 3 and 4 for the Jets

T0mShane

Rd. 3

Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton--6'4 1/4", 338 lbs.

Massive dude with all kinds of red flags (drugs, assault). Sounds like a keeper.

Edmund Gates, WR, Abilene Christian--5'11 1/2", 189 lbs.

Former basketball player with good speed who can return kicks. Still raw.

Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana--6'3", 200 lbs.

This year's Steve Smith (Giants). Great hands, just OK speed, but really knows how to get open underneath. Sanchez could definitely use a guy like this.

Curtis Brown, CB, Texas--6', 180 lbs.

Decent natural cover corner gives some size, depth.

Bruce Carter, OLB, UNC--6'3", 240 lbs.

Was once considered a first-round prospect, but blew out his ACL. Rumored to have freaky athletic ability. If Rex is looking for a more versatile OLB (who can, like, run)m this might be a good value pick if he's still around.

Curtis Marsh, S, Utah State--6', 194 lbs.

Played corner in college but has the size to move to safety. Super-coachable, good athlete.

Drake Nevis, DE, LSU--6'1", 291

Mean-streak tough guy that people hate to play against.

Quinton Carter, S Oklahoma--6'1", 211 lbs.

Angry, cocky SS prospect who can play the ball. Not great in coverage, but who is?

Rd. 4

Ahmad Black, S, UF--5'9", 183 lbs.

Looks like sh*t on paper (bad size, bad 40 (4.7)), but highly productive on the field. Would be an instant team leader whose instincts would inevitably force Rex to play him despite his obvious limitations.

Tyler Sash, SS, Iowa--6'1", 210 lbs.

Hardcore banger at safety who can actually play the pass a little bit. Immediately fills the Jets apparent quota for caucasian DB's in the event Eric Smith leaves.

Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss--6'2", 330 lbs.

Huge, powerful plugger. Also, functional illiterate.

Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma--6'2", 268 lbs.

Slow-footed warrior who will give you everything he's got. Has teh size, tenacity to fit in, but would strictly be a depth/role player.

Robert Sands, S, West Virginia--6'4", 220 lbs.

Absurd size for the position and will kill people for you. The Pats have those big TE's to deal with, so a big safety to counter might be in order. Great ST value. Never underestimate how much pull Mike Westhoff has in the war room. That dick.

Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame--6'2", 305

Not ideal size, but could be Kelly Gregg-esque.

DeAndre McDaniel, FS, Clemson--6'1", 213 lbs.

Ball-hawk safety with decent athletic ability

Ricky Elmore, OLB, Arizona--6'4", 255 lbs.

Played opposite future Hall of Famer Brooks Reed and outproduced him every year at Arizona (25 career sacks to Reed's 15). A limited tough-guy conversion project (in a round where you draft conversion projects) who might be the next Chad Cascadden.

Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU--5'10", 188 lbs.

Smallish, quick guy whom the Jets watched work out when they looked at Andy Dalton.

Rd 3: Either Carter

Rd 4: Powe

Looking at who's projected to be left (not much), I'd be happy with the best available safety in Rd. 3. Although, everything you read on Doss sounds like he'd be the perfect inside receiver that Sanchez needs. You look at what Steve Smith means for Eli Manning and his completion percentage--especially on 3rd downs--and you wonder why the Jets don't have a true slot receiver already.

Rd. 3

Kenrick Ellis, NT, Hampton--6'4 1/4", 338 lbs.

Massive dude with all kinds of red flags (drugs, assault). Sounds like a keeper.

Edmund Gates, WR, Abilene Christian--5'11 1/2", 189 lbs.

Former basketball player with good speed who can return kicks. Still raw.

Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana--6'3", 200 lbs.

This year's Steve Smith (Giants). Great hands, just OK speed, but really knows how to get open underneath. Sanchez could definitely use a guy like this.

Curtis Brown, CB, Texas--6', 180 lbs.

Decent natural cover corner gives some size, depth.

Bruce Carter, OLB, UNC--6'3", 240 lbs.

Was once considered a first-round prospect, but blew out his ACL. Rumored to have freaky athletic ability. If Rex is looking for a more versatile OLB (who can, like, run)m this might be a good value pick if he's still around.

Curtis Marsh, S, Utah State--6', 194 lbs.

Played corner in college but has the size to move to safety. Super-coachable, good athlete.

Drake Nevis, DE, LSU--6'1", 291

Mean-streak tough guy that people hate to play against.

Quinton Carter, S Oklahoma--6'1", 211 lbs.

Angry, cocky SS prospect who can play the ball. Not great in coverage, but who is?

Rd. 4

Ahmad Black, S, UF--5'9", 183 lbs.

Looks like sh*t on paper (bad size, bad 40 (4.7)), but highly productive on the field. Would be an instant team leader whose instincts would inevitably force Rex to play him despite his obvious limitations.

Tyler Sash, SS, Iowa--6'1", 210 lbs.

Hardcore banger at safety who can actually play the pass a little bit. Immediately fills the Jets apparent quota for caucasian DB's in the event Eric Smith leaves.

Jerrell Powe, NT, Ole Miss--6'2", 330 lbs.

Huge, powerful plugger. Also, functional illiterate.

Jeremy Beal, OLB, Oklahoma--6'2", 268 lbs.

Slow-footed warrior who will give you everything he's got. Has teh size, tenacity to fit in, but would strictly be a depth/role player.

Robert Sands, S, West Virginia--6'4", 220 lbs.

Absurd size for the position and will kill people for you. The Pats have those big TE's to deal with, so a big safety to counter might be in order. Great ST value. Never underestimate how much pull Mike Westhoff has in the war room. That dick.

Ian Williams, NT, Notre Dame--6'2", 305

Not ideal size, but could be Kelly Gregg-esque.

DeAndre McDaniel, FS, Clemson--6'1", 213 lbs.

Ball-hawk safety with decent athletic ability

Ricky Elmore, OLB, Arizona--6'4", 255 lbs.

Played opposite future Hall of Famer Brooks Reed and outproduced him every year at Arizona (25 career sacks to Reed's 15). A limited tough-guy conversion project (in a round where you draft conversion projects) who might be the next Chad Cascadden.

Jeremy Kerley, WR, TCU--5'10", 188 lbs.

Smallish, quick guy whom the Jets watched work out when they looked at Andy Dalton.

If they get Black in the 4th I would be thrilled. Seen the guy play a lot. Guy has bad numbers, but he is a player. Maybe the best player on the Gators this year

I'd consider him or Powe in the 3rd

Thoughts:

Bruce Carter strikes me as a 4-3 guy, most 3-4 OLB's are way bigger than he is. Typically taller too, he'd have to add a ton of bulk to make it work. Nevis is short for the 5-tech and I think taking 3-4 ends with the first two selections is a little much. Black, I think you can get later than the fourth round, possibly as a UDFA. Defensive backs who can't run tend not to get drafted no matter how good they were in college, and he's undersized to boot. I could be wrong, but that's generally how it goes. Ian Williams also came to the combine close to 320 I think, so he's almost at 3-4 NT size which is nice. Chris Neild is another with similar size, one or the other could be available a little later.

If 2011 is played under 2010 rules, the need for a WR/KR diminishes greatly. They'll be able to handcuff both Holmes and and Brad Smith, and only have to negotiate with Braylon (and hopefully get something done, as he's my favorite).

Tom, I liked your early draft idea of getting a TE for Sanchez. See any solid TE prospects in the middle rounds? OL wouldn't surprise me, but TE is really the only offensive position I'd be actively looking to fill.

I think the needs list still falls primarily on the defensive side of the ball, starting with an OLB that can rush the passer and a quality safety (duh!) - and I'd be surprised if the Jets completed a draft without selecting a CB.

Is the fact that these guys all suck part of the overarching gay joke?

Is there a player left in the draft the doesnt suck?

If they get Black in the 4th I would be thrilled. Seen the guy play a lot. Guy has bad numbers, but he is a player. Maybe the best player on the Gators this year

I would cream myself.

Casey Matthews is another dude that should be considered....the Dude will have a ton of family pressure to succeed

Agreed. Kid will give you everything he's got not to be the laughing stock of the family.

Thoughts:

Bruce Carter strikes me as a 4-3 guy, most 3-4 OLB's are way bigger than he is. Typically taller too, he'd have to add a ton of bulk to make it work. Nevis is short for the 5-tech and I think taking 3-4 ends with the first two selections is a little much. Black, I think you can get later than the fourth round, possibly as a UDFA. Defensive backs who can't run tend not to get drafted no matter how good they were in college, and he's undersized to boot. I could be wrong, but that's generally how it goes. Ian Williams also came to the combine close to 320 I think, so he's almost at 3-4 NT size which is nice. Chris Neild is another with similar size, one or the other could be available a little later.

All good stuff^. I didn't really cull the names out of preference for whom I'd advocate drafting (Other than maybe Doss), rather I just looked at a couple of mocks online and pulled players at positions of need going in the general area of the Jets' picks. It's gonna suck waiting around and watching all the "name" guys get picked up.

If 2011 is played under 2010 rules, the need for a WR/KR diminishes greatly. They'll be able to handcuff both Holmes and and Brad Smith, and only have to negotiate with Braylon (and hopefully get something done, as he's my favorite).

Tom, I liked your early draft idea of getting a TE for Sanchez. See any solid TE prospects in the middle rounds? OL wouldn't surprise me, but TE is really the only offensive position I'd be actively looking to fill.

I think the needs list still falls primarily on the defensive side of the ball, starting with an OLB that can rush the passer and a quality safety (duh!) - and I'd be surprised if the Jets completed a draft without selecting a CB.

I've got a fixation with drafting Jason Witten/Heath Miller types because I think that adding one of those guys just helps everybody else on the offense so much. Rudolph, IMO, is the only one in this class that blocks and runs well enough to make a defense account for him. The next closest guy is Luke Stocker out of Tennessee (6'5", 255 lbs. 4.7/40), but he sucked last year. After that, you have a bunch of Dustin Keller clones.

The mystery player that Rex pinpointed and wants to draft late (the "offensive guy with a defensive mindse") might be a TE. There's Lee Smith out of Marshall (6'6", 266 lbs. 4.8/40) and Andre Smith out of Va. Tech (6'5", 269 lbs. 4.9/40), both of whom are supposed to be pretty nasty on the edge.

I've got a fixation with drafting Jason Witten/Heath Miller types because I think that adding one of those guys just helps everybody else on the offense so much.

I agree with you. So does Bill Belichick, and everyone knows the three of us are geniuses.

All good stuff^. I didn't really cull the names out of preference for whom I'd advocate drafting (Other than maybe Doss), rather I just looked at a couple of mocks online and pulled players at positions of need going in the general area of the Jets' picks. It's gonna suck waiting around and watching all the "name" guys get picked up.

Indeed it is.

There's a good chance somebody's going to slip though - fun thing about the draft is that weird things happen. Guy ranked in a really similar range to Justin Houston this past year who had similar knocks on him was Everson Griffen from USC - dude slipped to the top of the fourth round. Effort questions, big guy who ran a ridiculous 40 for his size, went to a great school, decent production, not sure if the drug issues were there but they might have been too...and he was ranked as a early round 2 guy who might slip into round one as well. Another WR who could be interesting is if he's around Greg Salas from Hawaii, not a burner but great hands, good routes, solid game speed, good size too. Greg Little could slip too due to character concerns (had to sit out the year like Quinn, seems super cocky on the field), rough around the edges as a WR too because he used to play RB but great size at 6'2 230ish, good hands, great after the catch, good overall athleticism.

Other guys ranked in that range include Nebraska WR Niles Paul, UCF RT Jah Reid, Buffalo CB Josh Thomas, Fresno State OLB Chris Carter, Boise State WR Austin Pettis...they'd be more in the reach range though - I'd rather find a value at a position of need that slips.

2 names of guys that should be around in round 3 that can get after the passer and project to 3-4 linebackers are Chris Carter of Fresno State and Dontay Moch of Nevada. Both guys can really run and become (at the worst) excellent special teamers and situational pass rushers if not starters. I could also see Kendric Ellis if Rex thinks we need more depth at NT.

Archived